Strong Safety

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

Really????????   You have 2000 posts and you make this thread???   Is this something you expect us to discuss.   That’s 5 mins of my life I’ll never get back

I wanted to post it.

Was watching the 2010/2011 playoff game against Pittsburgh.

Go buttfumble the post dude. Idc

safeties don’t matter (on a relative scale wherein you compare it to almost every other position)

• Upvote 2

It's a reach to say that safeties don't matter. They aren't a premium position. But Adams is a top player at his position. We don't usually have a lot of guys like that. We tend to bring in guys who are average at best or just suck at their jobs. Jamal is one of the best players we've drafted in a long time. He's an impact player. He's more than just a "good safety". He can cover, play the run, get after the QB. He's a great football player.

I'd definitely explore trading him but the price would have to be right. I totally understand the argument people make about his positional value, but I do think there's a difference when a player you drafted is better than "good". 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Point taken. however we have to try! It's one of the few options we have to better our team at multiple positions. Unless you want to watch Jamal Adams play great on a 7 and 9 team for the next 5 years!?

Sam Darnold could have been great, oh but unfortunately he had no one to throw to and nobody to block for him because we kept Jamal Adams who made it to the Pro Bowl and made 80 million dollars for 5 years!

These are the odds and the only realistic scenario. Are we all here to serve Jamal on planet Jamal Adams? It's nothing personal, I agree he's a good player, but any good GM would be more than willing to sacrifice #33 to make FIVE other positions better overall. Thus giving us a better chance to win. Plain and simple it's a no-brainer.

You're willing to gamble the one all pro player we've developed in a million years, I'm not that willing to do it in a year that doesnt have a ton of cant miss OL, Edge or CBs. to choose from.  

I get the sentiment to turn 1 player into multiple players but dont see the odds being large enough to roll the dice

• Upvote 2

On 3/29/2020 at 3:24 PM, Losmeister said:

biggest play he ever made is blizting unblocked to get a QB pressure v Dallas...      a play just about every single safety in the league can make

otherwise? pffffffffffffffft

You need to stop, unblocked?  Reads the play correctly, attacks the QB, gets a piece of him, forcing the incompletion and no credit?

The whiners cant even give the guy credit when he makes a play.  Now hes a total figment of peoples imagingation

How about the stuff on 4th down, red zone?  Saved at least 3pts with the turn over, or would every single S make that play on Zeke?

Guess he needs to be a self promotor, his so called fans cant even put their need to be right down and credit him for making plays we all saw him make.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You need to stop, unblocked?  Reads the play correctly, attacks the QB, gets a piece of him, forcing the incompletion and no credit.  You whiners cant even give the guy credit when he makes a play.  Now hes a total figment of peoples imagingation

How about the stuff on 4th down, red zone?  Saved at least 3pts with the turn over, or would every single S make that play on Zeke?

Guess he needs to be a self promotor, his so called fans cant even put their need to be right down and credit him for making plays we all saw him make.

So called fans of his?

no sir. We are on the hook for being fans of the team, not the player.

when those interests are aligned, perfect, go player!

When those interest are in conflict, then you need to consider moving the player.

Here, JA will seek payment of 15+ milllion. And I am happy for him to get it...no ill will here towards the man. But I see it as a bad investment for the team I’m a fan of. So I want him to be moved rather than pay him.

You gotta take into consideration that these guys are mostly SO close in terms of skill. Theyre phenomenal athletes. So many of them are really similar in that regard and in terms of how good they are. 

A few guys are really truly special even amongst that group—Brees with his accuracy, guys like M Thomas who just catches everything, Revis in his prime, guys like von Miller, JJ Watt, etc. you should absolutely pay guys like that.

but when it comes to a position like safety...I’ve really seen only see one guy in my life who has really been worthy of that designation, Ed reed. 

additionally, because of supply and demand, you’re forced to pay a ton for your qb, your edge, top notch OL, a top WR and a top QB.

That’s where your money and your top draft picks should go.

• Post of the Week 2

35 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You need to stop, unblocked?  Reads the play correctly, attacks the QB, gets a piece of him, forcing the incompletion and no credit.  You whiners cant even give the guy credit when he makes a play.  Now hes a total figment of peoples imagingation

Dak tackled himself.

• Haha 4

49 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

I’ve really seen only see one guy in my life who has really been worthy of that designation, Ed reed. 

Yeah well in my lifetime I'd take Reed, Polamalu, Lott, Sean Taylor, both Woodsons, Brian Dawkins, John Lynch, Earl Thomas, Easley, Bob Sanders, etc.  

All really good players, all huge parts of great football teams.  

Sorry, I dont agree 

• Post of the Week 1

42 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah well in my lifetime I'd take Reed, Polamalu, Lott, Sean Taylor, both Woodsons, Brian Dawkins, John Lynch, Earl Thomas, Easley, Bob Sanders, etc.  

All really good players, all huge parts of great football teams.  

Sorry, I dont agree 

It seems you do. You named the top 10 safeties going back 40 years.

Meanwhile you could name 10+ DEs from the last 2-3 years who are worth that money.

market dictates the worth of these players and the fact that so few safeties earn the big money speaks to their value in the system

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

It seems you do. You named the top 10 safeties going back 40 years.

Meanwhile you could name 10+ DEs from the last 2-3 years who are worth that money.

market dictates the worth of these players and the fact that so few safeties earn the big money speaks to their value in the system

10+ DE from the last 2 years?

And I needed 40 years?

LOL 

4 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

I did really like Eric Smith .... Not saying he was good .... I just liked the dude ... Played hard was a scrappy little dude, didn't run his mouth...  Came to work did his job....

I have too many memories of watching him get burnt by every TE and RB in the nfl for 5-6 years

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lurker89 said:

Yeah a lot of the time he looked like he didn't belong.... But he was there, bless his heart. ?

Eric Smith was a coach’s pet.  Mangini and Rex both loved the guy even though he couldn’t cover most of the guys on this messageboard 

Jamal is not a safety, he is some hybrid that the jets let free lance because we have no pass rushers at all.

We also give up a LOT to let him play the way he does.  We constantly have ilbs covering guys they have no business covering, we cannot give safety help to our suspect CBS.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We also give up a LOT to let him play the way he does.  We constantly have ilbs covering guys they have no business covering, we cannot give safety help to our suspect CBS.

Jamal actually makes the D worse.

After you upvoted someone for saying LT was just a pass rusher with lots of holes in his game its getting clearer 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

Played by Eric Smith last time jets were any good.

Could you imagine those 2009 & 2010 Jet defenses under Rex Ryan while being led by not only #24 Darrelle Revis but also #33 Jamal Adams?!? OMG say hello to back to back and 2 SB titles!! 

Primetime Revis and First-team All-Pro Adams on the same defense and same field together? Crazy talk. 

4 hours ago, TNJet said:

Free safety....better than our strong safety... but doesn't tell everyone daily on Twitter.

That FS doesn't have 2 pro bowls or a First-team All-Pro selection neither, now does he? 

I bet you didn't know something...

Marcus Maye: 27 years old. 

Jamal Adams: 24 years young.

Just imagine Jamal Adams in... 3 years!!

Then imagine Marcus Maye.. in 3 years (@ 30)

Which player you taking?

Say "Marcus Maye" and say hello to absolute cluelessness...

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

I did really like Eric Smith .... Not saying he was good .... I just liked the dude ... Played hard was a scrappy little dude, didn't run his mouth...  Came to work did his job....

and Eric Smith hit very hard.  I think the last best safety we had who was really good, was that safety from the Ravens (forgot his name, not Ed Reed, but a little white guy) we got, I think Rex brought him over like he brought Bart Scott. That guy was really good.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

That FS doesn't have 2 pro bowls or a First-team All-Pro selection neither, now does he? 

Which player you taking?

I love Maye. Class act kid, and a hell of a DB. Anyone who thinks he's not underrated is clueless as well.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Could you imagine those 2009 & 2010 Jet defenses under Rex Ryan while being led by not only #24 Darrelle Revis but also #33 Jamal Adams?!? OMG say hello to back to back and 2 SB titles!! 

Primetime Revis and First-team All-Pro Adams on the same defense and same field together? Crazy talk. 

6 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Which player you taking?

I'm surprised you can say so much with Jamallpros **** in your mouth. Now that's talent.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TNJet said:

I love Maye. Class act kid, and a hell of a DB. Anyone who thinks he's not underrated is clueless as well.

I love Marcus Maye.

I think the world of him as he's one of the very best coverage Free Safeties and Center Fielders (with range) in the game today and also hits as hard as a brick wall or mack truck. 

However he's 3 years older than Jamal Adams and nothing close to being the all-around type of animal that Jamal Adams who roams our entire defense but nonetheless Adams/Maye is the best Safety tandem/duo in the league right now. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I love Marcus Maye.

I think the world of him as he's one of the very best coverage Free Safeties and Center Fielders (with range) in the game today and also hits as hard as a brick wall or mack truck. 

However he's 3 years older than Jamal Adams and nothing close to being the all-around type of animal that Jamal Adams who roams our entire defense but nonetheless Adams/Maye is the best Safety tandem/duo in the league right now. 

I agree. But its true that Maye is much better in coverage than Adams.Thats mainly why Adams is always up on the line in the box. Maye is an excellent hitter as you said.