Fitzpatrick 'excited' Dolphins took Tagovailoa, but still wants to play

On 5/21/2020 at 10:42 AM, Warfish said:

Going into his 16th season as an NFL Quarterback.

32,000+ Passing Yards.  210 Passing TD's.  

Sure, he never won literally anything, ever, and is rightly famous for being the lucky bastard who gets a job because his starting QB gets hurt.

But credit where it's due, it's hard enough to get a QB job at all in the NFL. Harder still a starters job.  Hardest of all is to stay in the league, a league with an average career of 3-4 years, for over a decade and a half......as a 7th round pick from Harvard.

Let me tell you, if our new 4th round pick Morgan can last 16 years in the NFL and play at Fitz's level when/if needed, I'd be very happy.

And a reminder, the 2nd best overall production season by a NY Jets QB remains 2015 by Fitzy. 

3,900 yards, 31 TD's, 15 INT's, 59.6% Comp. rate, and a 10-6 record.

Only Joe Namath in 1967 (slightly better in yards, worse in most other stats) and Ken O'Brien in 1985 even come close.

I'd kill to have our vaunted Sam Darnold put up 3,900 yards, 31 TD's and a 10 win season.

Wait until this season when Sam has a decent OL, RB's and and some WR's. With GW as the DC and you'll see why Sam is the best QB to come out in the last three years.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Sure, he never won literally anything, ever, and is rightly famous for being the lucky bastard who gets a job because his starting QB gets hurt.

But credit where it's due, it's hard enough to get a QB job at all in the NFL. Harder still a starters job.  Hardest of all is to stay in the league, a league with an average career of 3-4 years, for over a decade and a half......as a 7th round pick from Harvard.

Let me tell you, if our new 4th round pick Morgan can last 16 years in the NFL and play at Fitz's level when/if needed, I'd be very happy.

And a reminder, the 2nd best overall production season by a NY Jets QB remains 2015 by Fitzy. 

Only Joe Namath in 1967 (slightly better in yards, worse in most other stats) and Ken O'Brien in 1985 even come close.

I'd kill to have our vaunted Sam Darnold put up 3,900 yards, 31 TD's and a 10 win season.

And then the following season he posted a 69 QBR and generally awful. 

The 2015 offense was pretty loaded with a good oline (DBrick, Mangold, got good years out Carpenter and Colon), Ivory, Decker, Marshall. I don’t see similar talent from what Darnold is working with. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Ben said:

It's always funny to me who gets fan excuses and who doesn't.

I guess folks forget the front office screwups that previous offseason, the rampant injuries that season, and the Fitz was generally ok outside one horrific INT filled game.  Same excuses Darnold gets now, except Jets fans, for some reason, just hate Fitz, hated him even after his great season here, hell, most here didn't even want him resigned.  /shrug

7 hours ago, Ben said:

The 2015 offense was pretty loaded with a good oline (DBrick, Mangold, got good years out Carpenter and Colon), Ivory, Decker, Marshall. I don’t see similar talent from what Darnold is working with. 

Darnold has at least as good a roster now as Fitz had.  So we'll see what he does with it.

9 hours ago, Ben said:

Fitz puts up numbers yet there’s always one stat he comes up short in: Wins

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

No.  You have a very broad definition of  “played well”

He has been in the league for 15 years, threw for over 3500 yards and 20 TD's and had a QBR of 85.5  on a team with nobody on it that was thought to be any good. Aside from Parker and Fitz, can you name another player on the Fins last season. What he did is a boarderline miracle. 

The fins sucked because the team was devoid of any other talent but Fitz played well, there is no denying that. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

He has been in the league for 15 years, threw for over 3500 yards and 20 TD's and had a QBR of 85.5  on a team with nobody on it that was thought to be any good. Aside from Parker and Fitz, can you name another player on the Fins last season. What he did is a boarderline miracle. 

The fins sucked because the team was devoid of any other talent but Fitz played well, there is no denying that. 

Like I said before Fitz is like a noodle arm version of Tannehill but worse

He gets all these stats in garbage time except for some reason his teams always lose I wonder why

54 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Like I said before Fitz is like a noodle arm version of Tannehill but worse

He gets all these stats in garbage time except for some reason his teams always lose I wonder why

WTF throws for 3500 garbage time yards? You are really just spouting off cliche at this point. I'm not saying the Fins are going anywhere with Fitz as a QB, what I am saying is the guy has cobbled together a pretty impressive career considering he is not a great talent. Fitz fits the description of a bridge QB. It's a nitch practically nobody else fills and he is good at it and if he completly sucked as you are saying, he would not have lasted 15 years in the league starting for the majority of it. It would not make sense if he did play as poorly as you sre saying. 

8 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

WTF throws for 3500 garbage time yards? You are really just spouting off cliche at this point. I'm not saying the Fins are going anywhere with Fitz as a QB, what I am saying is the guy has cobbled together a pretty impressive career considering he is not a great talent. Fitz fits the description of a bridge QB. It's a nitch practically nobody else fills and he is good at it and if he completly sucked as you are saying, he would not have lasted 15 years in the league starting for the majority of it. It would not make sense if he did play as poorly as you sre saying. 

If Fitz is so good why has he never been in a playoff game?  Why have all the teams he has started for sucked?  Why do teams always cut him after 1-2 years?

Regarding Fitz, he has had some very good moments in his career. He’s not a world beater by any stretch, but saying he sucks? C’mon. 

Inconsistent might be a more accurate label. But his first year with the Jets he looked like a very good starting QB in the NFL. We were trying to re-sign him, remember?  In retrospect of course, I’m glad we didn’t because he regressed. But he hasn’t been a complete sh*t show. Guys who’ve lasted this long don’t suck. He’s had staying power, and that’s more than a lot of other QB’s can say. 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

If Fitz is so good why has he never been in a playoff game?  Why have all the teams he has started for sucked?  Why do teams always cut him after 1-2 years?

Because it is the cycle of Fitzpatrick. There is no denying  that either. The point of it is he plays well during that cycle which is my point.  I'm not at all ssying he is a long term solution,  but he has had a really successful  career in the fact he has hung around this long and manages to start everywhere he has been. I'm not talking about spot starter, he wins the job. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/23/2020 at 8:21 AM, Warfish said:

I guess folks forget the front office screwups that previous offseason, the rampant injuries that season, and the Fitz was generally ok outside one horrific INT filled game.  Same excuses Darnold gets now, except Jets fans, for some reason, just hate Fitz, hated him even after his great season here, hell, most here didn't even want him resigned.  /shrug

Darnold has at least as good a roster now as Fitz had.  So we'll see what he does with it.

1) Darnold never was as bad statistically as Fitz was in 2016

2) Darnold was a 21-22 year old kid-not a grizzled vet like Fitz 

3) I don’t see Eric Decker or Brandon Marshall   on this years team. 

On 5/23/2020 at 8:21 AM, Warfish said:

Nothing I don’t agree with but if Fitz wins that Buffalo game and we got into the playoffs I think the fans would have felt much different about him. That was a crushing loss. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ben said:

1) Darnold never was as bad statistically as Fitz was in 2016

True enough. 

Darnold's rookie year was close in some aspects (comp %, passing yards), but Fitz's TD to INT ratio in 2016 was just abysmal, mostly due to HIS "I see Ghosts" 6 INT game. 

Sans that, Fitz was a 12/11 TD/INT ratio that year.

Of course, I don't think we drafted Darnold to put up Fitz-like numbers did we?  We want much more.

2) Darnold was a 21-22 year old kid-not a grizzled vet like Fitz 

Until young age rewards us with extra points or something, I don't see it as an excuse for below average play. 

If he was too young to start, he shouldn't have started.  

If he did start, then he gets judged as a starting QB.  JMO.  

3) I don’t see Eric Decker or Brandon Marshall   on this years team. 

We didn't really see them in 2016 either. 

Decker played 3 ineffective games and was gone, injured. 

Marshall returned back into his 2014 self and completed his steep decline on the way out of the NFL.  2015 was his last gasp as a pro.

• Upvote 1

Not true. He won your heart. :) 

• Haha 2

What is with this love affair with Fitzpatrick? 

Good dude, but he's a journeyman NFL QB for a reason. Going into last season, he was 7-49-1 against winning teams. 

He had an awesome 2015 season, but when he finally had his chance to make the playoffs and go on a run, he totally blew it and threw for 181 yards and 3 4th quarter interceptions against a 7-8 team . . . In his career year. He is what he is. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not true. He won your heart. :) 

Lol, true I suppose. 

The closest in recent years that our Jets ever looked to my 2019 Nats was that 2015 year, with the funny, playing around, happy players playing well and winning at least more than they lost.  That last loss was a killer, and the mismanagement of that next off-season a disaster, and we've been horrible since.

the thing is, fitzy may not be a good starting qb but he isn't bad as a back up.  he seems to have the attitude that he can make the plays and even though he does have some physical limitations he does bring a boatload of confidence.  if i run a team and the starting qb goes down i want a guy come in who is ready to take charge and make things happen.  i don't want a guy who comes in a plays afraid like we saw with semian and falk.

8 hours ago, rangerous said:

the thing is, fitzy may not be a good starting qb but he isn't bad as a back up.  he seems to have the attitude that he can make the plays and even though he does have some physical limitations he does bring a boatload of confidence.  if i run a team and the starting qb goes down i want a guy come in who is ready to take charge and make things happen.  i don't want a guy who comes in a plays afraid like we saw with semian and falk.

Totally agree. Fitz is a terrific backup - which has netted him several big contracts. 

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

True enough. 

Darnold's rookie year was close in some aspects (comp %, passing yards), but Fitz's TD to INT ratio in 2016 was just abysmal, mostly due to HIS "I see Ghosts" 6 INT game. 

Sans that, Fitz was a 12/11 TD/INT ratio that year.

Of course, I don't think we drafted Darnold to put up Fitz-like numbers did we?  We want much more.

Until young age rewards us with extra points or something, I don't see it as an excuse for below average play. 

If he was too young to start, he shouldn't have started.  

If he did start, then he gets judged as a starting QB.  JMO.  

We didn't really see them in 2016 either. 

Decker played 3 ineffective games and was gone, injured. 

Marshall returned back into his 2014 self and completed his steep decline on the way out of the NFL.  2015 was his last gasp as a pro.

1) take away Sams Darnolds ghost game his TD/INT ratio would have been 19/8. If you take away the worst game from every QB they are going to look good

2) You don’t think a 21-22 year old has the greater likelihood to improve over a 36-37 year vet?

3)Decker and Marshall were great the year Fitz threw 31 TDs

44 minutes ago, Ben said:

1) take away Sams Darnolds ghost game his TD/INT ratio would have been 19/8. If you take away the worst game from every QB they are going to look good

Tell that to Darnold homers, it's their argument, not mine.

2) You don’t think a 21-22 year old has the greater likelihood to improve over a 36-37 year vet?

Who said that?

3)Decker and Marshall were great the year Fitz threw 31 TDs

And?