Adams Asking Price Over $20 Million per Season?

24 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I remember when people said you don't pay CB's 15 mil a year 

they didn't give it to Revis, 5 years later they gave it to Trumaine Johnson

the money is going to be handed out one way or another

put it another way

the Jets are like when you ask Santa for 1 really good shirt from Polo and instead your mom goes to Marshalls and gets you 5 terrible shirts

Yes you can find substitutes. no it's not the same. 

Not paying Revis was the right move. Paying Johnson was a catastrophic move. It's more complex than you're making it out to be. If you knew Revis would have been as committed as he was on his rookie deal, then yeah- you pay a talent like that. This is where the Patriots excel. 

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Not paying Revis was the right move. Paying Johnson was a catastrophic move. It's more complex than you're making it out to be. If you knew Revis would have been as committed as he was on his rookie deal, then yeah- you pay a talent like that. This is where the Patriots excel. 

How was not paying Revis the right move

the Jets have been garbage since 2013 around the time Revis left 

that was 7 years ago 

did they find someone else to spend it on? Yes his name was Trumaine Johnson. 

meanwhile Revis got his ring and his money. 

they never found that pass rusher everyone was lusting after

the mythical "player to be paid later" 

the Jets not drafting well for many years protected us from the reality of the leadership

they won't pay market value for homegrown talent, and they haven't since Revis. 

they will over splurge on moderate red-chips to bring themselves to the cap floor but that's not the same as paying an All Pro you drafted 

When was the last time they did that? Revis part 1? Mangold? 

for whatever reason the ownership isn't as engaged as they used  to be 

the real owner is literally not in the country. 

that's why Adams isn't getting the extension he deserves 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

How was not paying Revis the right move

the Jets have been garbage since 2013 around the time Revis left 

that was 7 years ago 

did they find someone else to spend it on? Yes his name was Trumaine Johnson. 

they never found that pass rusher everyone was lusting after

the mythical "player to be paid later" 

the Jets not drafting well for many years protected us from the reality of the leadership

they won't pay market value for homegrown talent, and they haven't since Revis. 

they will over splurge on moderate red-chips to bring themselves to the cap floor but that's not the same as paying an All Pro you drafted 

I mean the team they traded Revis to cut him after one season. The Jets paid Mo who was a pass rusher- how did that turn out? If you're going to give out big money you better have you're homework done on how they'll handle it. The Patriots knew not to pay Revis.

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I mean the team they traded Revis to cut him after one season. The Jets paid Mo who was a pass rusher- how did that turn out? If you're going to give out big money you better have you're homework done on how they'll handle it. The Patriots knew not to pay Revis.

Mo Wilkerson was not as dominant at 3-4 DE as Adams is at $LB/everything safety 

by the way this prove my point further, a franchise handing out 1 second contract to a first round pick every ten years isn't normal

if I were a conspiracy theorist I'd say they hired Idzik on purpose to not have to pay anyone 

speaking of which they can cut Enunwa and other bums and be 50 million under the cap.  It's going to happen sooner or later, these cuts.

what are they saving the money for? Sam Darnold's 100 million dollar extension? 

the way 14 has played so far I'd rather they gave it to 33 and run with James Morgan. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, bitonti said:

The jets can afford to pay this safety

they are like 25 mil under the cap right now

cutting Winters and Williamson gets them to 40

Jets fans have grown used to the team never spending to the cap or close to it 

im not saying money is everything but

The last time it happened was 2010-11 the last time they went to the playoffs

meanwhile let's say the Jets trade Jamal. What are they going to use that money for? Sam Darnold? It's not like they can go to the all pro store and get a pass rusher just because that's what they'd rather do. 

Jamal Adams is the only All Pro they have. We had the same discussion with Revis by the way, he went and got his ring. 

Because the constant here is that Jets are not interested in winning, they are interested in keeping the lights on and collecting the tv checks

the sooner fans realize that the happier we all will be 

lower those expectations folks, the Jets don't actually want to pay the All-Pro's they draft.  Woody is not interested in hiring a better coach than Adam Gase or Todd Bowles. They are a team of one-year contracts. 

it sends a great message to the locker room by the way. If the Jets draft you and make all pro 2x you'll be expected to play out your rookie deal and if you don't like it too bad. 

Wonderful way to run a professional football team 

Wow!  Bit going off!

What message does it send to the locker room when you negotiate with terrorists and redo a guys deal with 2 years left?  When the cap is going down and only one guy from that class has a new deal? 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

there's no comparison between paying Trumaine, Bell, Mosely aka overpriced Free agents with Paying Adams a home grown draft pick and team captain 

The locker room revolves around Jamal Adams, whether we like it or not 

There are no players more passionate about football than 33 

It says more about the Jets they choose to give money to guys like Trumaine than guys like Jamal. 

Overpriced free agents get there by becoming free agents.  They don't get there by whining two years before their contract is even up.  

If the locker room revolved around a guy that says "I'm trying man" when asked when he was getting traded to the Cowboys, you don't pay that guy.  You trust that guy with the money?

49 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I remember when people said you don't pay CB's 15 mil a year 

they didn't give it to Revis, 5 years later they gave it to Trumaine Johnson

the money is going to be handed out one way or another

put it another way

the Jets are like when you ask Santa for 1 really good shirt from Polo and instead your mom goes to Marshalls and gets you 5 terrible shirts

Yes you can find substitutes. no it's not the same. 

You'd rather look fairly good losing 13-10 and freeze your nipples off the other four days?

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What message does it send to the locker room when you negotiate with terrorists and redo a guys deal with 2 years left?  When the cap is going down and only one guy from that class has a new deal? 

The Panthers re-upped CmC from the same draft class despite not playing a premium position. Both are 2x All Pro in 3 years arguably best at their position.  Neither are QB's or pass rushers. 

the difference is that the Panthers are building a program and trying to win games. That's why they bought Matt Rhule out of Baylor and pay him double what the Jets pay Gase. They paid our best WR Robby Anderson by the way while the Jets signed Perriman and a bunch of others to 1 year deals. 

I'm not even going to touch the word in bold other to say a person wanting to get fair market value isn't the enemy 

he's the captain and if the Jets have any team culture it's LSU Adams. Take him away they are a mostly talentless bunch of losers. 

And Yes that statement includes Darnold until he proves otherwise. 

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Mo Wilkerson was not as dominant at 3-4 DE as Adams is at $LB/everything safety 

by the way this prove my point further, a franchise handing out 1 second contract to a first round pick every ten years isn't normal

if I were a conspiracy theorist I'd say they hired Idzik on purpose to not have to pay anyone 

speaking of which they can cut Enunwa and other bums and be 50 million under the cap.  It's going to happen sooner or later, these cuts.

what are they saving the money for? Sam Darnold's 100 million dollar extension? 

the way 14 has played so far I'd rather they gave it to 33 and run with James Morgan. 

To be honest, they havent really drafted anyone worth paying. They havent found a Michael Thomas, a Kittle, Bosa, Tyron Smith, Aaron Donald, TJ Watt caliber of player. Not even talking QB's...they just havent found blue chip talent at the positions you typically pay.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

The Panthers re-upped CmC from the same draft class despite not playing a premium position. Both are 2x All Pro in 3 years arguably best at their position.  Neither are QB's or pass rushers. 

the difference is that the Panthers are building a program and trying to win games. That's why they bought Matt Rhule out of Baylor and pay him double what the Jets pay Gase. They paid our best WR Robby Anderson by the way while the Jets signed Perriman and a bunch of others to 1 year deals. 

I'm not even going to touch the word in bold other to say a person wanting to get fair market value isn't the enemy 

he's the captain and if the Jets have any team culture it's LSU Adams. Take him away they are a mostly talentless bunch of losers. 

Christian Mccafreys trade value is about 3 times as Adams is.

Just now, Matt39 said:

To be honest, they havent really drafted anyone worth paying. They havent found a Michael Thomas, a Kittle, Bosa, Tyron Smith, Aaron Donald, TJ Watt caliber of player. Not even talking QB's...they just havent found blue chip talent at the positions you typically pay.

agree. Which is why we forgot how bad Ownership is at treating their stars well 

Look I understand we all root for the laundry etc but consider this from a sports agent perspective

you're Becton's agent lets say. Let's say Becton makes All Pro 2x in 3 years

Do we think the Jets are going to pay HIM? because he plays a more premium position? 

we'd like to think so. Or they could just screw him like they are screwing Adams

side note if Jamal Adams was represented by Jimmy Sexton CBA who represents Darnold, Douglas and Gase, he'd probably have his deal by now

how this team actually works is Jimmy Sexton tells everyone what to do 

because ownership is checked out 

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Christian Mccafreys trade value is about 3 times as Adams is.

that's a false statement

because Adams is still on his rookie deal 

and CmC is essentially untradable due to the massive brinks truck full of money they just paid him 

the dead cap would be obscene

again, Jets fans don't think about these scenarios because we literally can't remember the last time ownership backed up the truck for anyone

Sanchez? 

I'm starting to think the Johnsons don't actually have a Brinks truck. Or have lost their stomach for attempting to win. 

They are happy spending to 92% of cap forever. Hiring losers like Gase and Bowles.

Winning doesn't change the sell out tickets or the tv deal. They want their money like a T-Bill. 

Just now, bitonti said:

that's a false statement

because Adams is still on his rookie deal 

and CmC is essentially untradable due to the massive brinks truck full of money they just paid him 

the dead cap would be obscene

again, Jets fans don't think about these scenarios because we literally can't remember the last time ownership backed up the truck for anyone

I'm starting to think the Johnsons don't actually have a Brinks truck. They are happy spending to 92% of cap forever. Winning doesn't change the sell out tickets or the tv deal. They want their money like a T-Bill. 

Sorry, on his rookie deal his trade value was more than Adams'

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

agree. Which is why we forgot how bad Ownership is at treating their stars well 

Look I understand we all root for the laundry etc but consider this from a sports agent perspective

you're Becton's agent lets say. Let's say Becton makes All Pro 2x in 3 years

Do we think the Jets are going to pay HIM? because he plays a more premium position? 

we'd like to think so. Or they could just screw him like they are screwing Adams

side note if Jamal Adams was represented by Jimmy Sexton CBA who represents Darnold, Douglas and Gase, he'd probably have his deal by now

how this team actually works is Jimmy Sexton tells everyone what to do 

because ownership is checked out 

If Becton becomes an ALL-Pro, blue chip level LT then yes he'll be paid. Each team has the same amount of money to spend on players. The Jets get cheap in other areas. The Johnson's dont get to pocket the money dedicated to the roster.

Just now, Matt39 said:

Sorry, on his rookie deal his trade value was more than Adams'

Yeah it was. I'll agree there. But Jamal Adams' value is still super high. He wins games making big plays. There's not a lot of guys who can do that. 

Mo Wilkerson by the way one time his 2nd year he stripped sacked Russell Wilson and rumbled for a TD

the Jets lost 7-28 that day 

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If Becton becomes an ALL-Pro, blue chip level LT then yes he'll be paid. Each team has the same amount of money to spend on players. The Jets get cheap in other areas. The Johnson's dont get to pocket the money dedicated to the roster.

Nope

the difference between the salary cap and the salary floor is about 20 million dollars. 

the Jets make Trumaine Johnson and Bell type splashes every so often to get them to the floor 

they haven't been near the cap in spend since after the 2012 election

im not going to turn Max's board political but the owner made very public statements and when it didn't go his way in the election, just my opinion things changed. He lost his taste for winning and stopped caring. Eventually he handed the team over to Chris and left the country entirely.

but Chris can't give out an Adams extension if he wanted to. He can't pay Sam. He can't sell the team. these are still Woody level decisions 

that's why Jamal is making this public stink he's on a ship with no one at the helm 

I don't think Jamal is right to make this public but he's out of options. shut up and hope they do the right thing isn't going to work 

and by the way Revis got everything he wanted. They already set this precedent. 

On 6/19/2020 at 5:27 PM, Thai Jet said:

In my heart I know if Jamal had been a 1st round bust he would have given back some of his money he was paid. :^o

This is the only point that needs to be made. Jamal has a contract. That contract was a risk to the Jets...See Vernon Gholston and on and on. If the Jets give in to his demands, it better be because they get a monster deal from another team. If not, ship him to whomever made the best offer. I have truly had it with him. He is a cancer to the theam and this started last year. In my mind, JA has NO place on this team. He's overplayed his welcome. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Fair enough on the terrorists comment, but you know what I meant.  Teams can't go around letting players dictate when they are going to honor their contracts.  If Adams isn't the enemy, he sure is acting like it.  He is on social media enough.  He knows how his comments come off.  

McCaffrey is literally the only one from that class that has signed.  He does a ton of damage as a receiver and set the market at $16M per.  Pretty big jump between that and $20M  I can see arguing that Adams deserves $16M per, though it seems high, but not 20.  Besides, you want to point to the Panthers as the team to emulate?  They were 5-11. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

no one really good ever gets to FA 

it's always cast offs or guys like Clowney you don't trust with big money 

we can talk about these lists a year in advance but the really good guys won't make it to FA 

teams resign their stars

except for the Jets. We don't know this because we don't have stars. 

The last one was Revis. 

I agree that nearly all of those guys will get re-signed.

But not all.  JuJu Smith-Schuster stands out, because the Steelers ALWAYS let go of WRs to avoid handing them big deals, and there has been rumored to be a pretty big disconnect on what the Steelers are willing to pay and what JuJu wants (par for the course for an org that is always able to re-load in the draft at WR).  That was going on even before COVID became a big deal.

too much considering he isn't the 'bleed green' locker room leader I thought he was going to be ... you dont have to be allpro to be a leader, players just have to trust your integrity and fact you arent waiting for 3 seconds after you become a free agent to go play for hometown team (which is FINE, I get guys want to do that, but voicing it while under contract doesnt show maturity needed as locker room leader)

On 6/23/2020 at 12:00 PM, bitonti said:

The Panthers re-upped CmC from the same draft class

Yes and Jamal Adams is not in the same class at all as Christian McCaffrey.  McCaffrey is the best RB in the game, primarily because he operates more like a WR than a RB.  He's absolutely worth every penny, and I'd have been in support of any franchise making that decision, including the Jets.

He also remains the only 2017 first round pick to get a new deal so far.

This entire argument is invalid.

A player has to be worth it to pay him.  The Jets haven't had players worth paying.  Jamal Adams included.

2 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

too much considering he isn't the 'bleed green' locker room leader I thought he was going to be ... you dont have to be allpro to be a leader, players just have to trust your integrity and fact you arent waiting for 3 seconds after you become a free agent to go play for hometown team (which is FINE, I get guys want to do that, but voicing it while under contract doesnt show maturity needed as locker room leader)

Right.  I don't really have any problem with Adams trying to maximize his earnings or get to his favorite team.  Those are valid moves to make IMO.  His methods are not the best, but the owners have the power and the players have to do what they can.  OTOH, the Jets don't owe him anything special and as a fan I think caving to him would be a disaster.  

On 6/23/2020 at 2:47 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

But not all.  JuJu Smith-Schuster stands out, because the Steelers ALWAYS let go of WRs to avoid handing them big deals, and there has been rumored to be a pretty big disconnect on what the Steelers are willing to pay and what JuJu wants (par for the course for an org that is always able to re-load in the draft at WR).  That was going on even before COVID became a big deal.

Umm.... not always.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18783479/pittsburgh-steelers-make-antonio-brown-highest-paid-wr-nfl

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes and Jamal Adams is not in the same class at all as Christian McCaffrey.  McCaffrey is the best RB in the game, primarily because he operates more like a WR than a RB.  He's absolutely worth every penny, and I'd have been in support of any franchise making that decision, including the Jets.

He also remains the only 2017 first round pick to get a new deal so far.

This entire argument is invalid.

A player has to be worth it to pay him.  The Jets haven't had players worth paying.  Jamal Adams included.

CmC and Jamal Adams are both worth paying top dollar 

time will bear this statement out 

they are both guys that, if they got injured the night before the game, would move the line about 1.5 to 2 points.

QB's are obviously the hugest movers of the spread line but Adrian Peterson getting suspended for spanking moved the line 3 points

there are 2 categories of players QBs and everyone else 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure, though they were quick to let him go as soon as he started causing problems.  It took 2 other franchises to learn the hard way what Pittsburgh had known about him for a while.

Not that quick.  He got a big extension (5/$43M) in 2012 and another in 2017.   They were legit paying him for 7 seasons.

On 6/23/2020 at 2:47 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

JuJu was friggin AWFUL last year

if he's bad again this year he will make it to FA but my original statement still stands

no one good makes it to FA

unless we are all changing our tune on Robby Anderson?  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

JuJu was friggin AWFUL last year

if he's bad again this year he will make it to FA but my original statement still stands

no one good makes it to FA

unless we are all changing our tune on Robby Anderson?  

The man love for Juju on here is nauseating

juju had over 1400 yards and 111 catches two years ago, 917 yards and 7 tds in his 1st year.    only 12 games last year and was poor with only 552 yards, bad year no doubt, good thing he had duck hodges throwing to him.   So yeah people like the player.  He actually had a year that anderson will never come close to.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Beerfish said:

juju had over 1400 yards and 111 catches two years ago, 917 yards and 7 tds in his 1st year.    only 12 games last year and was poor with only 552 yards, bad year no doubt, good thing he had duck hodges throwing to him.   So yeah people like the player.  He actually had a year that anderson will never come close to.

Two years ago with Antonio Brown on the same team drawing triple coverage

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Antonio Brown, Le’Veon Bell were drawing a bit of attention from opposing defenses, no? 

Ben Rothlisberger was also throwing darts to him. Without any of them around him he wasn’t even average.

Lets hold off a bit with the JuJu stuff for a while... we already know he can’t carry an offense by himself, or elevate one with the level of QB play the Jets have been getting.

im not going to look it up but the Rudolph/Hodges combo was probably produced equal to what Sam did his first two seasons.

4 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Antonio Brown, Le’Veon Bell we’re drawing a bit of attention from opposing defenses, no? 

Ben Rothlisberger was also throwing darts to him. Without them around him he wasn’t even average.

Lets hold off a bit with the JuJu stuff for a while... we already know he can’t carry an offense by himself, or elevate one with the level of QB play the Jets have been getting.

im not going to look it up but the Rudolph/Hodges combo was probably produced equal to what Sam did his first two seasons.

I keep hearing this narrative to give brown all the credit for the other guys 1400 plus yards and 111 catches.  You simply do not do that by fluke.

18 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Two years ago with Antonio Brown on the same team drawing triple coverage

See below, lets discount 111 catches and 1400 plus yards because of brown.  so he got single coverage and torched the sh*t out of it, makes him a bad player.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I keep hearing this narrative to give brown all the credit for the other guys 1400 plus yards and 111 catches.  You simply do not do that by fluke.

Agreed. You do it by being the third option on an offense QBed by Ben Rothlisberger where defenses are overmatched trying to contain Antonio Brown and then Le’Veon Bell coming out of the backfield.

It’s a dream spot for a young WR to be in. Last year the 3 of them were gone, and he fell off the face of the earth.

53 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

See below, lets discount 111 catches and 1400 plus yards because of brown.  so he got single coverage and torched the sh*t out of it, makes him a bad player.

Even if JuJu is a WR2, we already have our future WR1 in Mims.

Sign the man.  Or another WR who hits the open market.  Don't care.  A couple of them will be there.