Training Camp Tweets 9/1

kdels62

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We post on a message board to talk about millionaire athletes who don't give a sh*t about us.  If I'm a jocksniffer, so are you.  

At least I'm not trying to be the toughest, most macho guy on the internet and demanding that players show up to practice.  The reality is that players play it safe with injuries.  Deal with it.  Or don't.  Either way no one cares.

the guys' a dick...   just put him on block...   i've added about a half dozen already...  this place is fulla knuckelheads....

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

One impression I get from the last few weeks of reading tweets.  The Ashtyn Davis pick that a number of people here blasted for JD taking a Safety when we needed a WR looks pretty good right now.  Particularly in light of trading Jamal (and that pick may be what enabled JD to pull the trigger at all) we do not seem to be suffering at the Safety position in the least.  Maye and Davis look really good in camp and McDougald gives us a third option to rotate with.  

Yes, we need more quality WRs, but in hindsight, I am giving JD big props for that pick.  

It's weird to read this post after an entire offseason of this boarding screaming about how safety isnt important and that the best 3 level defender in the NFL, didnt impact games.   And here we are, ready to slob JD's nob for picking a safety who has performed well in....practice....vs street FA WR's.  lol  FWIW, if everyone is healthy heading into the season, I'd imagine Davis as sub package situational guy and your starters are Maye and McDougle. 

All that said, any time it sounds like a player drafted by the Jets is playing well, it's a great and rare day to celebrate. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JiF said:

It's weird to read this post after an entire offseason of this boarding screaming about how safety isnt important and that the best 3 level defender in the NFL, didnt impact games.   And here we are, ready to slob JD's nob for picking a safety who has performed well in....practice....vs street FA WR's.  lol  FWIW, if everyone is healthy heading into the season, I'd imagine Davis as sub package situational guy and your starters are Maye and McDougle. 

All that said, any time it sounds like a player drafted by the Jets is playing well, it's a great and rare day to celebrate. 

Interceptions > run stops 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

It's really not that hard to understand.  Box Safeties aren't nearly as valuable as Center Fielder FS's and FS/CB hybrids who can generate a lot more turnovers.  Davis is going to be in the latter category.  Adams and Maye are in the former.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't think that pick had anything to do with Jamal.  We didn't have a centerfielder at Safety regardless of whether Adams was on the roster or not.  FS/CB hybrids are the way of the NFL these days, and Davis fit the bill for that.

If anything, that pick had to do with Marcus Maye.  

either way , so far, seems like the dude is smart & has a sack of big ones

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Adam Gase to Sam Darnold vs. the Patriots last drive the half, down by 21.

"Go get a TD, come at the half, we get the bal land we score again.  Then we stop'em and score again, tie it up.  And then we stop'em again and you lead the game winning comeback drive, got it? Good, go get em!" wait, what?  A play for 1st down?  Right!  Bell - dive right."

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's really not that hard to understand.  Box Safeties aren't nearly as valuable as Center Fielder FS's and FS/CB hybrids.  Davis is the latter.  Adams and Maye are the former.

Meh SS/ Slot hybrids, like Jamal and Derwin James, Budda Baker are also a big  trend. The truth is that rangy center fielders will always have value and are just generally pretty impactful. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, JiF said:

Dude, Cager looks like a DE.  He makes Mims looks small. 

Did you get a look at Corbin Kaufasi?  He absolutely dwarfs the people he stands next to.  I had to look it up because I was confused until I realized we have two brothers on the team (Bronson and Corbin).  Corbin is 6'9" 275 lbs.   The guy next to him is James Murray, a dwarfish 6'5".

Corbin Kaufusi Stock Photos, Editorial Images and Stock Pictures |  Shutterstock

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Interceptions > run stops 

Interceptions in practice vs. street FA's?  Vs. like the real stuff?  If you say so! 

I hope it translates but if you're expecting Ashtyn Davis to be popping off INT and pick 6's this year like he is in practice, my assumption is you will be let down.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Interceptions in practice vs. street FA's?  Vs. like the real stuff?  If you say so! 

I hope it translates but if you're expecting Ashtyn Davis to be popping off INT and pick 6's this year like he is in practice, my assumption is you will be let down.

Tell me about all the picks Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye got in practices, please.  

Davis was billed as a Centerfielder and is playing like a Centerfielder in practice.  What more should we be asking for right now, exactly?  And why should we not be excited that he's looking good?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's really not that hard to understand.  Box Safeties aren't nearly as valuable as Center Fielder FS's and FS/CB hybrids who can generate a lot more turnovers.  Davis is going to be in the latter category.  Adams and Maye are in the former.

I know its not hard to understand, that's why I'm over here like....lets trade them all for multiple 1st round picks and plus some because they're more valuable!

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Davis will have at least two INTs this season at the minimum.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Did you get a look at Corbin Kaufasi?  He absolutely dwarfs the people he stands next to.  I had to look it up because I was confused until I realized we have two brothers on the team (Bronson and Corbin).  Corbin is 6'9" 275 lbs.   The guy next to him is James Murray, a dwarfish 6'5".

Corbin Kaufusi Stock Photos, Editorial Images and Stock Pictures |  Shutterstock

Yes, big dude. 

Who is wearing 43?  The last imagine of that video has a picture of Berrios/Crowder and 43 and he looks like the jolly green giant in comparison. 

6 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Why would you want a QB to "check down quicker" if he is not being sacked? It's an option of last resort. He should be looking downfield. 

This

---

actually one of my favorite things about Sam is 1st read / 2nd read are usually mid level /deep level routes

needs to be much improvement on his decision making with when it is time to give that up (I'll go with that is what likely was meant by "check down quicker")  ... and just take the check down/dump off/scramble that is open

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Tell me about all the picks Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye got in practices, please.  

Davis was billed as a Centerfielder and is playing like a Centerfielder in practice.  What more should we be asking for right now, exactly?  And why should we not be excited that he's looking good?

You want me to tell you about the picks that Adams had in practice after he just yielded you 2 1st round picks and a player vs. a kid you've literally never seen play a down of Football in your life? 

And I literally said in my post, I'm very happy to be hearing a rookie is performing well because that is rare in Jets land.

My gawd man.  Deep breath.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep, I do.  

Ok, cool.  I just looked it up.  Official stat line for Jamal Adams practice INT's - 0.  Crazy I know but it's true.  He never intercepted a pass in practice.  This dates back to LSU too.  

And because Ashtyn Davis has - I now will sit back and wait for the 2 1st round picks he will yield the Jets because he is clearly a better Football player than Jamal Adams. 

This, was productive.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Ok, cool.  I just looked it up.  Official stat line for Jamal Adams practice INT's - 0.  Crazy I know but it's true.  He never intercepted a pass in practice.  This dates back to LSU too.  

And because Ashtyn Davis has - I now will sit back and wait for the 2 1st round picks he will yield the Jets because he is clearly a better Football player than Jamal Adams. 

This, was productive.

I accept your submission.

29 minutes ago, JiF said:

Not sure what the issue is.  Adams was picked #6 overall and wants to be the highest paid defensive player in football. Davis is a 3rd round pick,  who from camp reports looks like his head is above water... which is all you want to see right now.  Considering that Maye and McDougald are both FAs next year, he also has a good shot to slide into a starting role by 2021... and will almost definitely have more INTs and be better in coverage than Adams.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, shuler82 said:

Not sure what the issue is.  Adams was picked #6 overall and wants to be the highest paid defensive player in football. Davis is a 3rd round pick,  who from camp reports looks like his head is above water... which is all you want to see right now.  Considering that Maye and McDougald are both FAs next year, he also has a good shot to slide into a starting role by 2021... and will almost definitely have more INTs and be better in coverage than Adams.

He'll start all 16 games this year.  

32 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Why would you want a QB to "check down quicker" if he is not being sacked? It's an option of last resort. He should be looking downfield. 

Exactly. That was one of the dumbest, if not the dumbest tweets I’ve ever read from a so called”reporter.” Something Adam Schein would say. 

My theory is that Gase is slow-playing a lot of these hamstring-type things because he knows that, with no camp and preseason, the first month of the regular season is going to be a league-wide IR bloodbath and the season, as a whole, is going to be a goofball war of attrition, so rushing dudes back in August serves little purpose. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My theory is that Gase is slow-playing a lot of these hamstring-type things because he knows that, with no camp and preseason, the first month of the regular season is going to be a league-wide IR bloodbath and the season, as a whole, is going to be a goofball war of attrition, so rushing dudes back in August serves little purpose. 

He needs them on the field during the season.  I expect mims and berrios to play.  Perriman’s knee could be a problem though.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

it doesn't make sense with regard to Mims though.  He absolutely needs the reps out there.  5-year vets can probably step in, even with a new QB, and be productive on week 1.  But Mims is going to have to learn under fire now.  Not a great way to start out.

26 minutes ago, nycdan said:

it doesn't make sense with regard to Mims though.  He absolutely needs the reps out there.  5-year vets can probably step in, even with a new QB, and be productive on week 1.  But Mims is going to have to learn under fire now.  Not a great way to start out.

This was likely going to be a redshirt year for him regardless.  But yes, the missed reps sucks.  

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

For sure. If you're looking at the first four picks Becton and Davis look like they have the potential to be home-runs. Mims and Zuniga.... Well, if they ever play we can report back then.

Perine looks likes good and even Morgan has shown some flashes as much as I rag on his selection.  (His position is where I was expecting another receiver).   I believe Bryce Hall is now practicing although is way behind some of the other corners on the depth chart.