Going out on a limb, but not really.

21 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Any chance that teams who have been together prior to this year and didn't make wholesale changes have an advantage due to there being essentially no training camp? The Jets probably got romped in part because they made a lot of changes and the Bills didn't. That isn't to say the Jets will be a good team, but it certainly helps to explain the level of suck they displayed yesterday.

Absolutely. That & we just don't have any studs. We haven't drafted any studs in 10 years (crazy Adams, only 1, but at least we got two #1s, #3). Plus every free agent purchase have been sh*t, Trumaine Johnson, CJ Mosely, and Le'veon Bell. Not a winning formula. JD has to cleanness up 10 years of miscues. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Absolutely. That & we just don't have any studs. We haven't drafted any studs in 10 years (crazy Adams, only 1, but at least we got two #1s, #3). Plus every free agent purchase have been sh*t, Trumaine Johnson, CJ Mosely, and Le'veon Bell. Not a winning formula. JD has to cleanness up 10 years of miscues. 

He doesn't have to clean up ****. If he just times the mulligans he inherited in Gase and Darnold correctly, he can pretty much lock up a contract extension completely without regard to job performance. Why do you think he took the gig?

10 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

Every other team is dealing with same issues....the jets were by far the most inept team I saw yesterday including cleveland.  Shades of that offense last year,  after the first 3 and out you knew it was over and that’s sad

Really? You knew it was over after the first 3 and out? Why? 

• Sympathy 1

It is only one game, yes it's a crazy overreaction but aren't we tired of making excuses?

Did the team look prepared? Did the game plan help? Did the team look disciplined ?

Setting aside the lack of talent, was the team looking as good as say a team who lost yesterday with a rookie head coach and new qb? 

Was there any hint from Gase/Douglas that it might take time for the O line to gel, or because we had so many injuries in camp, we as fans should temper our expectations about any semblance of a passing game?

It's hard to be objective as a fan but every independent football voice in the preseason told us the Jets would not be a competitive team  until at least 2021. A good portion of us expected to loose yesterday, it was the way we lost that was shocking.

It's just one game, let's see later in the season whether Joe Douglas was right about free agents like Breshad Perriman and  Pierre Desir.

• Upvote 1

not just the loss but how bad they looked in losing - how can every unit look so bad on offense and defense - yes maye was a player so was austin but how incoherent they looked as a team - i hold gase entirely responsible - it’s his job to bring everyone together and have them ready as a team for sunday’s game - next week will be really telling - sf is a much much better team and i expect to lose the game but they have to show up ready to play like pros - it’s all on gase

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

41 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

To this point, a lot of teams looked like absolute sh*t yesterday. The Niners, Browns, Buccs, Cowboys, Colts, Dolphins, etc all looked like garbage. This season isn’t really starting for most of the league for another three weeks. 

Beyond this, it’s important to remember that last year the jets offense didn’t exactly light it up vs the bills.  The jet offense scored 1 offensive td in the opener last year, with the other td a pick 6 by Mosley.  In the last game of the season the jets won 13-6, again 1 offensive td.  In 2018 the jets got blown out 41-10 in one of the games.  So the jets scoring 17, even if one of these was meaningless, is right in line with how they’ve performed vs this team.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

To this point, a lot of teams looked like absolute sh*t yesterday. The Niners, Browns, Buccs, Cowboys, Colts, Dolphins, etc all looked like garbage. This season isn’t really starting for most of the league for another three weeks. 

The lack of a regular preseason/ota schedule definitely had some effect. I think preseason games would have been very helpful also.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Any chance that teams who have been together prior to this year and didn't make wholesale changes have an advantage due to there being essentially no training camp? The Jets probably got romped in part because they made a lot of changes and the Bills didn't. That isn't to say the Jets will be a good team, but it certainly helps to explain the level of suck they displayed yesterday.

No doubt.  This is the reason I picked the Bills.  Road dogs, breaking in 8 new starters all banged up vs. a team that has stability and really moved the needle in the offseason on offense by trading for one of the best WR's in Football.  The Jets were going to lose yesterday, that's not the issue.  The issue is how sloppy they were in the process.  It was everything; penalties (some back breaking), missed tackles, drops, missed throws, missed blocks, turnovers (INT/fumbles) and ultimately looking totally outclassed.  That was varsity vs. JV and calling the JV is being kind.

In general, this is the day for overreactions.   Happens every year.  As upset as I am with yesterday and as bad as it looks and feel, it's probably not that bad.  They're probably a better team than that and in retrospect, no preseason really hurts a team like the Jets.  That was the first time the OL has worked together not vs. friendly competition.  Hopefully having a game together and getting waxed is a wake up call and having some film to study will help them because Sunday isnt going to be any easier. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

The Jets had the 29th ranked group of weapons going into this season.  They faced the 2nd ranked defense that brought back largely the same group that's been together for the last 2-3 seasons.  The Jets started 8 different players on offense yesterday than Darnold was playing with last year.  8!  And, that group had limited time together especially when you consider Perriman being new AND missing two weeks with a knee injury and Hogan joining the team less than 2 months ago.

What you're saying isn't crazy at all.  It doesn't dismiss a bad game by Darnold, but there are some logical reasons the offense was out of sync all day.  Yesterday looked like what you'd see in a Preseason Game #1.... which is essentially what it was for the Jets....against a playoff team with one of the best D's in the NFL.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, JiF said:

No doubt.  This is the reason I picked the Bills.  Road dogs, breaking in 8 new starters all banged up vs. a team that has stability and really moved the needle in the offseason on offense by trading for one of the best WR's in Football. 

Bingo.  The Jets upgraded their offensive line significantly (and thank god they did!) but nothing else looks to have really gotten better on the roster (especially for Week 1) except for some rookies and developmental depth (most of which is injured - Mims, Perine, Zuniga, Bryce Hall, Cager, etc.).  I could argue the WR situation has actually been downgraded (at least for Week 1) going from Robby A to Perriman and starting Chris Hogan at WR2.

Look, this is a rough day for all Jets fans. Huge disappointment with how they looked yesterday.  Lots of questions that we didn't think we'd be asking this early....do we need a new QB, a new HC, is the roster any better at all than last year, etc?  But it just feels like all the factors lined up yesterday for a decimated and unprepared Jets team to face a Top 3 NFL defense and playoff team.  The result is almost exactly what could have been predicted.

I HAVE TO maintain some hope that things will get better, that Sam isn't as bad as he looked yesterday and that the planned WR group of Perriman, Mims, Crowder, Vyncint Smith, Cager, etc. will serve the Jets well once they're healthy and get their timing down.  After all, if there's zero hope then why even watch the rest of the season, right?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Bingo.  The Jets upgraded their offensive line significantly (and thank god they did!) but nothing else looks to have really gotten better on the roster (especially for Week 1) except for some rookies and developmental depth (most of which is injured - Mims, Perine, Zuniga, Bryce Hall, Cager, etc.).  I could argue the WR situation has actually been downgraded (at least for Week 1) going from Robby A to Perriman and starting Chris Hogan at WR2.

Look, this is a rough day for all Jets fans. Huge disappointment with how they looked yesterday.  Lots of questions that we didn't think we'd be asking this early....do we need a new QB, a new HC, is the roster any better at all than last year, etc?  But it just feels like all the factors lined up yesterday for a decimated and unprepared Jets team to face a Top 3 NFL defense and playoff team.  The result is almost exactly what could have been predicted.

I HAVE TO maintain some hope that things will get better, that Sam isn't as bad as he looked yesterday and that the planned WR group of Perriman, Mims, Crowder, Vyncint Smith, Cager, etc. will serve the Jets well once they're healthy and get their timing down.  After all, if there's zero hope then why even watch the rest of the season, right?

Agreed. 

It's week 1 and I think the issues they had on Sunday are fixable; tackling, penalties, ball security, etc.  Again, no presesaon, lots of new pieces vs. a team with a ton of stability and a ton more talent.  The plays Sam missed, he typically makes.  The mental errors are a major concern.  The thing they cant fix, is they will be the underdog in almost every single game this season and unfortunately, they're not good enough to win without Sam being the best player on the field.  And when he's off, this is the result. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agreed. 

It's week 1 and I think the issues they had on Sunday are fixable; tackling, penalties, ball security, etc.  Again, no presesaon, lots of new pieces vs. a team with a ton of stability and a ton more talent.  The plays Sam missed, he typically makes.  The mental errors are a major concern.  The thing they cant fix, is they will be the underdog in almost every single game this season and unfortunately, they're not good enough to win without Sam being the best player on the field.  And when he's off, this is the result. 

There are many reasons for the team’s failure and for darnold’s failure yesterday.  There’s plenty of blame to go around and we all know this.  But that’s not the main problem.

The main problem is that douglas will need to decide this offseason whether to stick with darnold or go get Lawrence or fields.  And in making this assessment, douglas, via mccagnan’s help, has to observe darnold with arguably the worst offensive skill position personnel and a terrrible OC/HC.  It’s difficult to see the offense becoming that much better with this supporting cast, so if yesterday is a preview of the season then you’d have to assume that darnold would not be the starting qb next year.

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

There are many reasons for the team’s failure and for darnold’s failure yesterday.  There’s plenty of blame to go around and we all know this.  But that’s not the main problem.

The main problem is that douglas will need to decide this offseason whether to stick with darnold or go get Lawrence or fields.  And in making this assessment, douglas, via mccagnan’s help, has to observe darnold with arguably the worst offensive skill position personnel and a terrrible OC/HC.  It’s difficult to see the offense becoming that much better with this supporting cast, so if yesterday is a preview of the season then you’d have to assume that darnold would not be the starting qb next year.

No doubt and because I really dont want that to be the situation, I'm holding out for hope and knowingly making some excuses in hopes that we do something different.  If not, you're right.  Joe Douglas has a big decision but I'm not sure it's that tough.  

I said it in another thread, if this is the project.  Then I would like to see a restart and let JD pick the HC, GM/HC pick the QB, GM/HC build team immediately with all these picks around QB.  GM/HC/QB live and die together using the proper structure for once.  The last few changes have been completely bogus.