So Now What

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Actually, of all the issues - this is my biggest concern right now.

The big question.  Did JD know he was putting a losing product on the field? and was just saying the right things.

Or

Did he think he had built a competitive roster?

I've been okay with everything going on because I've been under the assumption that JD was tearing everything down, take this big down year and will start a rebuild next year. 

But man, if he thought this was an NFL caliber roster then I am truly worried.

I believe JD knew this was a crap roster coming into the season and never had any expectations of being competitive this season.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Actually, of all the issues - this is my biggest concern right now.

The big question.  Did JD know he was putting a losing product on the field? and was just saying the right things.

Or

Did he think he had built a competitive roster?

I've been okay with everything going on because I've been under the assumption that JD was tearing everything down, take this big down year and will start a rebuild next year. 

But man, if he thought this was an NFL caliber roster then I am truly worried.

What would you expect him to say? "We are doing a complete rebuild and the current team is garbage and won't win a game all season?" He's got to show confidence in the team on the field. It's his job.

I'm as upset as anyone here with the performance of this team (and I've been rooting for them for 50 years now), but I think it's way too early to be calling for JD's head. He demanded a 6 year contract because he knew it would take a while to fix this train wreck.

8 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

We have to find out what the overall plans for the Jets are.  Right now Gase is a bit like Larry Scott of the Pac-12.  The people in charge of his retaining him have empowered him with complete job security.  So until we get an official word on parameters regarding what's expected the remaining 12 games... who knows?  But I imagine things are just going to get worse on all fronts.  The lack of basic discipline and player relations is even beginning to affect Williams .  Bringing the "cheap shot" shouts out if the woodwork. Larry Scott in tge perfect comp for Gase actually.. A complete incompetent who will destroy something bevause of an insane belief ability.  And CJ and Douglas for whatever reasomd are backing jim up.  This will not end well for  all involved.

Yeah, and what is JD's role in all of this? Has he separated himself from Gase? We all know what the perception of Gase is...Douglas seems behind the scenes no different than the situation with Bowles/Maccagnan. The whole having the same agent thing is such a conflict of interest, especially for a coach and GM who havent proven much.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

All joking aside, that really is the saddest part for me.  Every year our season is over early and we have no shot at the playoffs.   Every week, we all just sit through our games hoping  for HCs to get fired, a better QB draft pick, or mostly because it's our team and it's what we do.   After (LITERALLY FOR  ME) decades, this situation just grates on you and makes the awesome NFL season irrelevant and annoying.

I'm sad it's come to this.  Honestly.

But with that said, it's harder and harder to get worked up over it, or even to feel like continuing on is important or appropriate or the like.

The last two years, I keep wondering why I don't just shift to being a local fan.  It's a constant thought.  I've said it before, but I have no ties to NY anymore, and barely did to start.  I'm here near DC 35 years now.  The time spent on the Jets, even if long, is a sunk cost. 

If my local team was not horrific themselves on literally every front imaginable, I have to think I probably would have said **** it and dropped the Jets.  I know alot of the homer fans will say "good riddance you disloyal ass" when they hear this, but **** them too frankly.  30 years, and this team has given me very very little for my investment.    

In the past, after a game like last night, I'd have posted dozens of posts, some long and deeply analytical.  Now, I just don't care enough to do so.  Which is why I am sad.  I just wanted my favorite team to compete, and not embarrass.  And all we do for most of the last decade is embarrass.  

The death of fandom isn't hatred.  It's apathy.  And I feel more apathy by the day.  Hell, if I didn't live here at JN and feel a part of this community, I'd probably be vastly more apathetic.  But even then, I feel little reason to come post about the Jets.  What hasn't already been said hundreds of times already.....

So yeah.  Whatever.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3

2 hours ago, viffer said:

What would you expect him to say? "We are doing a complete rebuild and the current team is garbage and won't win a game all season?" He's got to show confidence in the team on the field. It's his job.

Plus he can also blame a lot of it on Gase when he fires him.  "We expected this team to be better."

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Yeah, and what is JD's role in all of this? Has he separated himself from Gase? We all know what the perception of Gase is...Douglas seems behind the scenes no different than the situation with Bowles/Maccagnan. The whole having the same agent thing is such a conflict of interest, especially for a coach and GM who havent proven much.

Really can't know too much honestly.  Douglas usually keeps a pretty tight lip and the way that the organizational structure is set up... it's not like he has to inform the public he is responsible for Gase's week to week existence. That might tip his hand. But CJ's intrusive presence also makes Douglas as a visible figure more obscured.  As far as having the same agent, that's pretty common so I don't think we have to be worried about that too much.  An agent wants his clients to be employed, but he isn't going to jeopardize another's career to do it.   And while we all want CJ to fire Gase and Douglas appointe someone to see our the season... its obvious that's nearly  impossible. Gase intentionally left the QB coach spot open and stuck in a glorified intern under the title of OC.  It's like pulling out the breaks on a colliding train. 

If Boyer was hired, per say, he wouldn't be able to juggle the remaining staff in time. It's an unwinnable situation in many ways for Douglas. He got the job he wanted but a combination of terrible timing and bad luck have killed any forward momentum. Anx that's what winning football is about... building momentum.  A GM or coaches sheer good performance often times doesn't matter.  But Douglas should have known better to throw in his lot with Gase. 

And the fact that Elway knew Gase was an ass hat and tipped off Baalke at the Niners.... While Peyton didn't hesitate for a moment to saddle us with that kooky eyed POS --- really pisses me off!  We never have smart decision makers because there is never anybody associated with the team whose capable and what they do.  We're treated as much like a dumpster fire because there's a ton of people on the league who prefer it that way.  It makes better scheduling and copy for the press.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

The death of fandom isn't hatred.  It's apathy.  And I feel more apathy by the day.  Hell, if I didn't live here at JN and feel a part of this community, I'd probably be vastly more apathetic.  But even then, I feel little reason to come post about the Jets.  What hasn't already been said hundreds of times already.....

So yeah.  Whatever.

Yep. Last night was the first game I watched this season. Whether the jets lose or win on Sunday is almost completely meaningless to me. I'm sure I'll get invested again if the product on the field improves but I cant imagine ever letting this stupid team ruin my day or week like it did 20+ years ago.

The last time I really thought we had a shot what about 3/4 of the way through 2008 after crushing TN. That ended predictably. Even 10 and 11 I was never a believer because the QB was so bad 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

But with that said, it's harder and harder to get worked up over it, or even to feel like continuing on is important or appropriate or the like.

The last two years, I keep wondering why I don't just shift to being a local fan.  It's a constant thought.  I've said it before, but I have no ties to NY anymore, and barely did to start.  I'm here near DC 35 years now.  The time spent on the Jets, even if long, is a sunk cost. 

If my local team was not horrific themselves on literally every front imaginable, I have to think I probably would have said **** it and dropped the Jets.  I know alot of the homer fans will say "good riddance you disloyal ass" when they hear this, but **** them too frankly.  30 years, and this team has given me very very little for my investment.    

In the past, after a game like last night, I'd have posted dozens of posts, some long and deeply analytical.  Now, I just don't care enough to do so.  Which is why I am sad.  I just wanted my favorite team to compete, and not embarrass.  And all we do for most of the last decade is embarrass.  

So yeah.  Whatever.

There it is right there.   Great post.

So yeah.  Whatever.

It's amazing that you found the only other market that has a team anywhere near as f**ked up as the Jets. Synder has to be the long lost 3rd Johnson brother.? On a happier note, the Nats are still the World Champs for a few more weeks, you have the best young player in the NL, and Bryce is gone and working his magic with the Phillies. And Stevie Cohen is gonna get us Bauer and Realamuto.?

So yeah.  Whatever.

Try the Ravens 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

So yeah.  Whatever.

This gave me a laugh, thanks fish, needed that today.