Urban Meyer

maury77

Ever since Bell was released, I finally acknowledged that the tank was on this season and the team had moved on from Darnold. It is what it is. 

It made me think back to 1997 (the last time the Jets were this bad) and what the franchise had to do to turn the ship around. It wasn't hiring a coordinator, they needed a culture changer at the coaching position. Parcells was that culture changer and arguably the catalyst for the best run in team history from 1997 to 2010. 

I've been racking my brain at who could be that culture changer now. I don't think Harbaugh is leaving Michigan. There are no unemployed, super bowl winning coaches out there that I realistically think they have a shot at. I'm not as high on Matt Campbell as some others. So the one name that came to mind, a national profile guy that led 2 different programs to a national title, and that name is Urban Meyer. There were rumors last year that he was interested in an NFL job and Meyer has gushed about Trevor Lawrence. The opportunity to coach Lawrence (or Justin FIelds) might entice Urban Meyer to take the job. I think if Meyer took the job, it makes it more likely that Lawrence won't try to get out of playing for the Jets. 

I know he has left his last 2 jobs for health reasons, but maybe the pro game will be appealing since he won't have to spend so much time recruiting. 

What do you guys think? I'd like to hear especially from the Florida and Ohio State fans. 

• Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Ever since Bell was released, I finally acknowledged that the tank was on this season and the team had moved on from Darnold. It is what it is. 

It made me think back to 1997 (the last time the Jets were this bad) and what the franchise had to do to turn the ship around. It wasn't hiring a coordinator, they needed a culture changer at the coaching position. Parcells was that culture changer and arguably the catalyst for the best run in team history from 1997 to 2010. 

I've been racking my brain at who could be that culture changer now. I don't think Harbaugh is leaving Michigan. There are no unemployed, super bowl winning coaches out there that I realistically think they have a shot at. I'm not as high on Matt Campbell as some others. So the one name that came to mind, a national profile guy that led 2 different programs to a national title, and that name is Urban Meyer. There were rumors last year that he was interested in an NFL job and Meyer has gushed about Trevor Lawrence. The opportunity to coach Lawrence (or Justin FIelds) might entice Urban Meyer to take the job. I think if Meyer took the job, it makes it more likely that Lawrence won't try to get out of playing for the Jets. 

I know he has left his last 2 jobs for health reasons, but maybe the pro game will be appealing since he won't have to spend so much time recruiting. 

What do you guys think? I'd like to hear especially from the Florida and Ohio State fans. 

I've been calling for us to hire (or at least TRY to hire) Urban Meyer for several years now.  Throw whatever amount of money he wants at him.  Even though I like Joe D, I'd even give Urban GM powers as well, if that's what it took to get him here.  I'd give him a Jimmy Johnson/Jon Gruden style contract and let him do his thing.

I think Urban is legit one of the great offensive minds in the sport, one who has the respect of Belichick.  Though I think they're friends (no surprise) so maybe Urban wouldn't want to coach against BB.  But I'm 100% for doing everything we can to try to bring him here.  I think he's the best option out there, by far.  And it would be fascinating to see how he would do in the NFL (I think he'd be great).

Meyer is at the end of his career, and with health issues will not want to put in the time that it will take to turn around a wretched NFL franchise.

The Jets will be stuck with a first time NFL coach who is currently an offensive assistant. There are some candidates. Just have to pick right. Hopefully Douglas gets to make the call.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Meyer is at the end of his career, and with health issues will not want to put in the time that it will take to turn around a wretched NFL franchise.

The Jets will be stuck with a first time NFL coach who is currently an offensive assistant. There are some candidates. Just have to pick right. Hopefully Douglas gets to make the call.

Urban is only 56 years old.  He's also been off for a couple of years so his battery is probably recharged by this point.  I know he's had health issues but so did Parcells, and he kept coming back.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Urban is only 56 years old.  He's also been off for a couple of years so his battery is probably recharged by this point.  I know he's had health issues but so did Parcells, and he kept coming back.

Meyer has a benign cyst on his brain that creates pressure, especially during stressful periods that give him acute headaches. 

He would be inheriting one extreme headache here. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Meyer has a benign cyst on his brain that creates pressure, especially during stressful periods that give him acute headaches. 

He would be inheriting one extreme headache here. 

He has also stated publicly several times that the only coaching he would consider was head coach at Notre Dame.

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

Urban is making $7.5 million per year from Fox Sports to TALK about football.  Why would he ever leave that for the Jets job?   The second things go bad he’ll have another “heart attack” and take off.   I wouldn’t go near him. 

He’s the college Parcells in some ways. Absolute psychotic maniac winner coach, who is a culture changer.

But, he doesn’t stay around long and will leave in a few years.

The next coach should ideally be here for a decade plus, or we didn’t do it right.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mackman55 said:

He has also stated publicly several times that the only coaching he would consider was head coach at Notre Dame.

Since leaving Ohio State?

He's always said he loves ND but he always took other jobs (probably because he couldn't recruit like he'd want to if he was at ND).

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Since leaving Ohio State?

He's always said he loves ND but he always took other jobs (probably because he couldn't recruit like he'd want to if he was at ND).

It was before he left Ohio State. I don't think his health will let him coach again.

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Yeah, The NYJ, who have an unorganized hierarchy, who are a complete rebuild from top to bottom are the perfect situation for a coach whose health suffers in stressful situations. What could go wrong?

All I'm saying is that we should at least try (our absolute best) to hire him.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

And left the OSU for health reasons..

Parcells left jobs due to health reasons and kept coming back.  I predict Urban will do it too.  I'm not saying he'll come here (or even necessarily to the NFL at all) but I still think we should try to hire him.

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Parcells left jobs due to health reasons and kept coming back.  I predict Urban will do it too.  I'm not saying he'll come here (or even necessarily to the NFL at all) but I still think we should try to hire him.

He won’t even pick up the phone if the Jets called.   Also, Parcells was never making $7.5 million per year from a network to talk football.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I agree that Meyer would be a culture changer and unless a HC with legit winning experience (like McCarthy last year) shakes loose from the NFL ranks, he would be the kind of pedigreed college coach the Jets should be looking at.

As for Bell being released, he's been garbage since he got here, and regardless as to why he's been so bad, getting rid of him is actually addition by subtraction.  He was becoming a distraction, and quite frankly, Gore  (and Perine) will be just as if not more productive.  Bell has set the bar so low - how can they not be?

My personal feelings of Urban Meyer aside, I dont see him being a very successful NFL coach.  He literally couldnt mentally handle not being able to run the table in the SEC at Florida so he left because of "health reasons" to go somewhere where that running the table was easy.  He knew the Big 10 was a joke and he knew that he could jump into OSU and dominate because they were so much better than the rest of the conference and he didnt need to win a championship game in the conference (yes that changed).   He didnt have that luxury at Florida and he couldnt run the table.  He wanted the easier job and ran for the hills.  Maybe to a certain extent, the NFL is easier because it's not a 24/7/365 job like college but I just dont think he has the mental fortitude to succeed in the NFL. 

Everyone knows the stories of how ****ed up those Gators teams were and he legit, didnt care....imagine him trying to run the show in the NFL with ego's and millions dollar contracts?  Just dont see it.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Tell me which of these things do no belong with the other:

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcScPcIkOf7t_XIx1ioBSimage.jpeg.ff7a841c9bb5454f995fc6dbdaf3fcb9.jpegimages?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTiHl0ty2EffHmXXKptf

We all understand this.  The idea is to at least try to sell Meyer on the job.  Tell him "we'll give you full control, as much money/years as you want, etc"  and try to talk up the idea of having his place in history if he can turn around this godforsaken franchise.  That plus the glory of "winning in NY" (though, unfortunately, NY has been and will probably continue to go into the toilet).

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

My personal feelings of Urban Meyer aside, I dont see him being a very successful NFL coach.  He literally couldnt mentally handle not being able to run the table in the SEC at Florida so he left because of "health reasons" to go somewhere where that running the table was easy.  He knew the Big 10 was a joke and he knew that he could jump into OSU and dominate because they were so much better than the rest of the conference and he didnt need to win a championship game in the conference (yes that changed).   He didnt have that luxury at Florida and he couldnt run the table.  He wanted the easier job and ran for the hills.  Maybe to a certain extent, the NFL is easier because it's not a 24/7/365 job like college but I just dont think he has the mental fortitude to succeed in the NFL. 

Everyone knows the stories of how ****ed up those Gators teams were and he legit, didnt care....imagine him trying to run the show in the NFL with ego's and millions dollar contracts?  Just dont see it.

I'm not a fan of him personally either.  But I do think he's a great coach.  I agree that he tends to pick out the best situations (easiest to win) and college is a different ballgame due to recruiting.  However, I still think he's a phenomenal HC and he did win games against the best teams too (even winning a title against Alabama with his 3rd string QB, Cardale Jones).

40 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

And kept quitting. Parcells!  Don't ever say that name around me. It's like asking me where Bagel Street and the Susquehanna Hat Company is.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Meyer may not be a young guy, but if you write a big check and give him the keys, could work. HAs to be a shock to this system. 

The Next Supposed Great Coordinator has not worked here. Don't have a problem considering college coaches, but they need someone who has been a  head coach.