Disgraceful Loss. Jets Just Embarrassed the NFL

6 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

My understanding is that Williams had them stop playing defense enough to be down by 11, then had them play defense to facilitate 17 Jets points in a row then had them continue to play defense to stop them from going ahead at the end of the game then saw the offense not able to get a first down after that stop and said "This is my big chance to land a quarterback for a franchise I'm not going to be working for in 5 weeks" and had them not play defense at the end. 

It’s not like I’m the only person saying we “left the gate open” for them. Former NFLers are saying it too 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, KRL said:

The fake outrage over the loss today is beyond laughable.  We are 4 games
away from:

- Having the ability to draft the "next big thing" at QB
- Basically having three first round picks (#1, #25, #33)
- Having five premium picks in the first 3 rounds.  And with a tradeable
asset in Darnold potentially adding a sixth one
- Having the most cap space in a year when the cap is going down

Stop the fake crying your embarrassing yourself 

Sounds like alot to be happy about.

Make me wonder why, with all that happy, you'd care so much about what a few disappointed Fans think.

You (and many others) got what you wanted.  Maybe you should just enjoy it.

45 minutes ago, KRL said:

The fake outrage over the loss today is beyond laughable.  We are 4 games
away from:

- Having the ability to draft the "next big thing" at QB
- Basically having three first round picks (#1, #25, #33)
- Having five premium picks in the first 3 rounds.  And with a tradeable
asset in Darnold potentially adding a sixth one
- Having the most cap space in a year when the cap is going down

Stop the fake crying your embarrassing yourself 

I’m happy at all these things but it sucks that we (I believe) self-sabotaged in order to do it.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Rodney Harrison just said it on the NBC pre-game that it looked like we were trying to lose to get the #1 pick.

The idea that analysts are saying this (Boomer and Harrison and probably more to come) is very telling how obvious it was. 

And then at halftime of the Chiefs-Broncos he said it was a bad defensive call by Williams, that's all.  In my 55 years as a Jets fan, I don't think I have seen a more ridiculous reaction to a game.  To say you would rather win that game and have years and years of misery as a fan is inane. I don't care how bad the Jets look in 2020, how painful or embarrassing the losses are, how much the NFL media trash the Jets, how bad the players feel, etc. I just want to put this team in the absolute best position for success in the future.  That begins with drafting Lawrence. If you would rather win a game and go 1-15 rather than 0-16, you are a football idiot with no clue.  Nobody questioned the Colts playing like garbage with Manning out with injury to get Luck.  Do Browns fans care that the team went 1-31 a few years back now that they are 9-3 and headed for the playoffs?  Did Pittsburgh Steeler fans feel embarrassed about horrible seasons in the late 60s and early 70s that led to drafts that build a dynasty?    Did Cowboy fans feel embarrassed about fleecing the Vikings to pick up a boatload of picks to build a SB winning team? 

45 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You know what’s even more F’d up?  We didn’t even get that close to Carr on the blitz. 

BS. I just watched it again 4-5 times. Carr had to step up in the pocket to avoid the rush and jump up to make the throw. If he doesn't do either, he's sacked.  What if Carr panicked and didn't step up?  The tank fails.  What if Ruggs drops the pass? What if Carr misses him?  What if the Raiders held to stop the blitz?  What if Ruggs tripped?  What if Carr missed the read and threw to someone else?  What if Jackson didn't bite on the inside move by Ruggs? All of those things are why you don't tank on one crazy play in the last 15 seconds.  

• Upvote 2

Jets lost to Miami in 1985 in similar fashion when DC Bud Carson all out blitzed Marino with the Jets up 3 with 30 or so seconds left in the game and Duper outran the CB and scored the winning TD.  Cost the Jets a division title and (shockingly) no claim of tanking.

Jacksonville had Minnesota on the ropes in OT today.  Minnesota punting from their own 20.   Some Jag held on the punt and instead of getting good field position to drive 20-30 yards for the winning FG, the Jags started from their own 20. Glennon threw a horrible pick on 3rd and 10.  Tank by the special teams player that held on orders from the Jags CS?  Glennon throw that pick on purpose (maybe promised the next few starts to get a back up job next season)?

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We agree that the Jets played hard all day with the exception of the self-sabotage on the Ruggs play.

i'm having a hard time understanding the contention here. even by the idiots like boomer. first, there isn't much reason for williams to be in on somethign like this.....but if there is some sort of handshake deal to throw every game and get the first pick then why on earth are they making the stop on the drive beforehand?  is the plan that "don't worry we will give them one more possession with about 30 seconds to make a miracle last minute comeback"??? it just doesn't make any sense in any scenario you can give me that greg williams is on a tank. if he was it would have been cemented as a loss way beforehand. it's just a silly argument really. and to say it's possibly worthy of being looked at as a criminal activity worthy of possible prosecution is just crazy

2 hours ago, neckdemon said:

i'm having a hard time understanding the contention here. even by the idiots like boomer. first, there isn't much reason for williams to be in on somethign like this.....but if there is some sort of handshake deal to throw every game and get the first pick then why on earth are they making the stop on the drive beforehand?  is the plan that "don't worry we will give them one more possession with about 30 seconds to make a miracle last minute comeback"??? it just doesn't make any sense in any scenario you can give me that greg williams is on a tank. if he was it would have been cemented as a loss way beforehand. it's just a silly argument really. and to say it's possibly worthy of being looked at as a criminal activity worthy of possible prosecution is just crazy

What's worse being in on something like this or making probably one of the worst defensive calls in NFL history - either way its career suicide but at least in the tank scenario he may have some financial or job related gains from it. 

11 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

And then at halftime of the Chiefs-Broncos he said it was a bad defensive call by Williams, that's all.  In my 55 years as a Jets fan, I don't think I have seen a more ridiculous reaction to a game.  To say you would rather win that game and have years and years of misery as a fan is inane. I don't care how bad the Jets look in 2020, how painful or embarrassing the losses are, how much the NFL media trash the Jets, how bad the players feel, etc. I just want to put this team in the absolute best position for success in the future.  That begins with drafting Lawrence. If you would rather win a game and go 1-15 rather than 0-16, you are a football idiot with no clue.  Nobody questioned the Colts playing like garbage with Manning out with injury to get Luck.  Do Browns fans care that the team went 1-31 a few years back now that they are 9-3 and headed for the playoffs?  Did Pittsburgh Steeler fans feel embarrassed about horrible seasons in the late 60s and early 70s that led to drafts that build a dynasty?    Did Cowboy fans feel embarrassed about fleecing the Vikings to pick up a boatload of picks to build a SB winning team? 

The movie Groundhog Day sums it up best.  We did this whole dance when we got Sam, and we squandered it.  Trevor could be in the same situation.  We have no guarantee that Gase will be gone.  We have more holes in our team than a piece of Swiss cheese.  Our franchise gets #$%^ on by the media and it appears that we may have intentionally threw a game.  Will we be doing that next year to get the best WR in the 2022 draft?

A culture of losing is hard to break, and if the organization is encouraging that then we have bigger problems.

I hope there is a happy ending.

56 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

What's worse being in on something like this or making probably one of the worst defensive calls in NFL history - either way its career suicide but at least in the tank scenario he may have some financial or job related gains from it. 

still the point is that IF THERE REALLY IS a scenario where he is being offered some type of compensation to ensure losses.......it makes no sense to have the defense playing for the win the entire game especially with them stopping the raiders on the previous drive where they were 9 yds from scoring. so the argument is that williams is being compensated in some way to guarantee losses and he waits until there is 35 seconds left in the game and the raiders need a miracle to win to remember to follow through?? there is just no logic to it

2 hours ago, neckdemon said:

still the point is that IF THERE REALLY IS a scenario where he is being offered some type of compensation to ensure losses.......it makes no sense to have the defense playing for the win the entire game especially with them stopping the raiders on the previous drive where they were 9 yds from scoring. so the argument is that williams is being compensated in some way to guarantee losses and he waits until there is 35 seconds left in the game and the raiders need a miracle to win to remember to follow through?? there is just no logic to it

In your scenario the Jets would get the ball back with a chance to win on Offense. The timing and situation is what makes the call highly suspect .