Remember Suck for Sam!

shrekman1

14 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Do you think the Jets would take the 4th best QB in the Draft (the leftover) or use the pick to build the team and hold off on QB until 2022?

I think I'd rather have them take the 2nd best WR or the 2nd best OT rather than the 4th best QB.

Why would they take the 4th best QB in the draft when there's almost 0 % chance we're picking outside of the top 2 or 3?

Even in that instance, yes, you take the best QB on your board.  This is getting pretty silly at this point.  Teams who need QB's don't pass on QB's early in the draft.  The Chargers didn't pass on Justin Herbert at the 2020 draft just because he was the 3rd QB off the board.  Nor did the Bills pass on Josh Allen despite being the 3rd QB off the board in the 2018 draft.  I imagine these teams don't regret this.  

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why would they take the 4th best QB in the draft when there's almost 0 % chance we're picking outside of the top 2 or 3?

Even in that instance, yes, you take the best QB on your board.  This is getting pretty silly at this point.  Teams who need QB's don't pass on QB's early in the draft.  The Chargers didn't pass on Justin Herbert at the 2020 draft just because he was the 3rd QB off the board.  Nor did the Bills pass on Josh Allen despite being the 3rd QB off the board in the 2018 draft.  I imagine these teams don't regret this.  

What are your thoughts on James Morgan and using a valuable 4th rounder on him?  The Jets actions indicate that this seems to be a longterm investment.  Why else would a team use a 4th, stash a guy and try to develop him for a year or two without putting him in a game, only to let that development walk out the door at the end of rookie contract?

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

What are your thoughts on James Morgan and using a valuable 4th rounder on him?  The Jets actions indicate that this seems to be a longterm investment.  Why else would a team use a 4th, stash a guy and try to develop him for a year or two without putting him in a game, only to let that development walk out the door at the end of rookie contract?

I don't see what James Morgan has to do with drafting a QB this year.  Morgan was drafted to be a QB2 who hopefully demonstrates QB1 upside at some point during his rookie contract, which will hopefully allow him to be flipped for a higher pick later or at least land us a quality comp pick when his deal ends.

It also ensures you don't have to spend big money on a veteran backup for 4 years.

The Morgan pick outrage is just as silly as the "Lawrence or bust" argument at QB in the upcoming draft.  Plenty of teams with established starters at QB also use midround picks at QB.  The Jets didn't have an established long-term starter, making it even less unusual for them to be drafting a QB in the middle rounds.

It's all about asset allocation. QB is the most important asset on the field.  Drafting QB's consistently and hoping you find the next Dak Prescott or Kirk Cousins makes perfect sense.  The return on investment if it works out is huge.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

10 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Seems decent.  Looks like a good prospect.  Really hope that he sees the field for a bit.  It's a shame he hasn't been brought up and inserted into games, especially with numerous opportunities where the Jets have been down by multiple TDs in the 4th Quarter.  We can't find room one week on a 55-man roster to include him as QB3 and get him two or three series in a game?  He's got to see some live bullets in his first year IMO.

13 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

Sorry to say but Sam has been sh*t even when he has had time to throw. 

And maybe Kirks offense is one of the better offense cuz he’s a tad bit better than our beloved 0-13 QB. 

Kirk Cousins is super underrated. The hate he gets, I will never understand. 

Is it because he's not an elite QB, or a top 3 one? Maybe he's not that, but he's very clearly a top 10 QB in the NFL. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't see what James Morgan has to do with drafting a QB this year.  Morgan was drafted to be a QB2 who hopefully demonstrates QB1 upside at some point during his rookie contract, which will hopefully allow him to be flipped for a higher pick later or at least land us a quality comp pick when his deal ends.

It also ensures you don't have to spend big money on a veteran backup for 4 years.

The Morgan pick outrage is just as silly as the "Lawrence or bust" argument at QB in the upcoming draft.  Plenty of teams with established starters at QB also use midround picks at QB.  The Jets didn't have an established long-term starter, making it even less unusual for them to be drafting a QB in the middle rounds.

It's all about asset allocation. QB is the most important asset on the field.  Drafting QB's consistently and hoping you find the next Dak Prescott or Kirk Cousins makes perfect sense.  The return on investment if it works out is huge.

2000, Round 6, Pick 199: Tom Brady, Michigan
2002, Round 4, Pick 117: Rohan Davey, LSU
2003, Round 6, Pick 201: Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech
2005, Round 7, Pick 205: Matt Cassel, USC
2008, Round 3, Pick 94: Kevin O'Connell, San Diego State
2010, Round 7, Pick 250: Zac Robinson, Oklahoma State
2011, Round 3, Pick 74: Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
2014, Round 2, Pick 64: Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois
2016, Round 3, Pick 91: Jacoby Brissett, North Carolina State
2018, Round 7, Pick 219: Danny Etling, LSU
2019, Round 4, Pick 133: Jarrett Stidham, Auburn

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Seems decent.  Looks like a good prospect.  Really hope that he sees the field for a bit.  It's a shame he hasn't been brought up and inserted into games, especially with numerous opportunities where the Jets have been down by multiple TDs in the 4th Quarter.  We can't find room one week on a 55-man roster to include him as QB3 and get him two or three series in a game?  He's got to see some live bullets in his first year IMO.

I would have loved to have seen him early in the year, but not now.  He's a kid who could kill the tank easy.  Strong armed kid with two very fast WR's on the team.  No NFL game film, could go out there and hang a few long TD's on an unsuspecting DC.

They'll be plenty of time to see him next year.

8 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I would have loved to have seen him early in the year, but not now.  He's a kid who could kill the tank easy.  Strong armed kid with two very fast WR's on the team.  No NFL game film, could go out there and hang a few long TD's on an unsuspecting DC.

They'll be plenty of time to see him next year.

Really?

Then let's trade down, draft stud WRs and OTs and build around James Morgan.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

2000, Round 6, Pick 199: Tom Brady, Michigan
2002, Round 4, Pick 117: Rohan Davey, LSU
2003, Round 6, Pick 201: Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech
2005, Round 7, Pick 205: Matt Cassel, USC
2008, Round 3, Pick 94: Kevin O'Connell, San Diego State
2010, Round 7, Pick 250: Zac Robinson, Oklahoma State
2011, Round 3, Pick 74: Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
2014, Round 2, Pick 64: Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois
2016, Round 3, Pick 91: Jacoby Brissett, North Carolina State
2018, Round 7, Pick 219: Danny Etling, LSU
2019, Round 4, Pick 133: Jarrett Stidham, Auburn

If Morgan got on the field like Brady did perhaps we'd find a better use for that #1 pick next year.  The Pats didn't go looking for Bledsoe's replacement the following year in the Draft because they found out what they had in Brady.

I'm just saying I want a look..... a peak....a series....a snap?  Can we see this guy on the field?  What is everyone afraid of (besides @flgreen worrying that Morgan will be too good and find a way to beat the Rams, Browns or Pats)?  My argument hasn't even been that we should start him.  I want to give the guy a Quarter.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Really?

Then let's trade down, draft stud WRs and OTs and build around James Morgan.

LOL

Didn't say he could do it week after week.  lol

Any new QB with no NFL game film is always a danger.  Suspect over 10 of them have beaten Jets teams over the years.  May never have won another game, but beat the Jets.  :) 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

If Morgan got on the field like Brady did perhaps we'd find a better use for that #1 pick next year.  The Pats didn't go looking for Bledsoe's replacement the following year in the Draft because they found out what they had in Brady.

I'm just saying I want a look..... a peak....a series....a snap?  Can we see this guy on the field?  What is everyone afraid of (besides @flgreen worrying that Morgan will be too good and find a way to beat the Rams, Browns or Pats)?  My argument hasn't even been that we should start him.  I want to give the guy a Quarter.

100% agree throw Morgan out there

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

It might have given Darnold a chance if the Jets went 1-15 in 2017 and kept the 3 2nd rounders rather than playing McCown and winning 5 meaningless games. I'm sure some of you got great enjoyment from that 5-11 season and take pride in those wins and escaping the embarrassment of going 0-16 or 1-15.  Those 5 wins set the foundation for a winning culture and a successful rebuild. The Jets could have drafted Will Hernandez or Nick Chubb  and DJ Chark and Deebo Samuel with those picks. Instead we got the unbridled joy from beating Jacksonville and Cleveland and Buffalo and the Chiefs- if anyone can even remember those wins.  

What gives you any confidence that Mr Coffee would have drafted the "right" players in those spots given his abysmal track record?

The team is garbage not because he traded those picks but because everyone he drafted after the 1st round was garbage.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

100% agree throw Morgan out there

Right?

Perfect situation lines up pretty easily.  Jets are down by 17 points going into the 4th Quarter, OLine is healthy and most of the Jets starters are playing so he's surrounded by adequate players.  Stick him in there, call a balanced offense of 50/50 run/pass, tell him he's not responsible for leading some kind of comeback to win the game and to just make smart decisions with the football.  Move the sticks.

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Right?

Perfect situation lines up pretty easily.  Jets are down by 17 points going into the 4th Quarter, OLine is healthy and most of the Jets starters are playing so he's surrounded by adequate players.  Stick him in there, call a balanced offense of 50/50 run/pass, tell him he's not responsible for leading some kind of comeback to win the game and to just make smart decisions with the football.  Move the sticks.

The problem is Gase has no motivation to do it at all.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Right?

Throw him against the Browns after we lose to the Rams so we dont look like we're tanking as much as it will look if we throw him in week 17 against the Pats

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Throw him against the Browns after we lose to the Rams so we dont look like we're tanking as much as it will look if we throw him in week 17 against the Pats

The only guy who shouldn't see the field against the Pats is Flacco.

We can start Morgan without worry.  Heck, the Chargers had their rookie Justin Herbert who is 100X the player Morgan is out there against the Pats.  Pats won 45-0.  lol  If Morgan drove for a FG vs. the Pats he should get Player of the Game.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, shrekman1 said:

A few years back we were all cheering "Suck for Sam!' Well, we got our wish. We suck & we got Sam. (USC Qb's never pan out) Now we are trying this again. "Tank for Trevor!' Now who do we get to coach the kid, OTHER WISE IN THREE YEARS WE WILL BE DOING THIS AGAIN.

We didn't suck for Sam.  Sam fell to us.  We sucked and traded to get Cleveland and the Giants sloppy seconds.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I remember Suck for Sam but I also remember Sam being 1/10th the QB prospect that Trevor Lawrence is (both HS/NCAA combined). 

Would you all like to see my stats in order to support to truth?

There is no comparison between Sam and Trevor as prospects. Feels weird to even mention them in the same sentence.

26 minutes ago, Biggs said:

We didn't suck for Sam.  Sam fell to us.  We sucked and traded to get Cleveland and the Giants sloppy seconds.  

The most likely result was to draft Rosen. If we traded up for anyone, that’s who it was for. 

just remember what Arizona did. they drafted Rosen. saw 1 year of him and a new coach comes in and gets rid of him for Murray. 

ONE YEAR!!!! 

they didnt play games. they didnt say, well even though we went 3-10 with Rosen he showed some good things. maybe with a different coach, maybe more talent,  he could be good. he just needs a QB whisper to develop him more.

NO!!!

right away they seen it and it was goodbye and they drafted a new QB. and there in a better situation now.

and the same guy who drafted Rosen, got rid of him the next year and drafted Murray. none of this,..... i have to justify my pick so we have to keep him a few years or im going to look bad. thats how a good Franchise is run. maybe thats why there GM Steve Keim has been there since 2013. he made a mistake and identified it right away and tried again to fix it instead of waiting 3-4 years. and you can say the new coach wanted Murray, but the GM didnt have to hire a coach who didnt want to work with his #1 QB pick from a year ago. if wasnt like he was hiring Bill Parcells

and this is the same sh*t we say about sam. 

oh he needs more talent, new coach, more development. maybe he just sucks. 

22 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I want him on the field too.  But this argument that him not seeing the field this season would make him a bad pick is a garbage take.  Whether he ends up a good pick or not is not going to be dependent on his rookie year playing time.  

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, y2k8 said:

What gives you any confidence that Mr Coffee would have drafted the "right" players in those spots given his abysmal track record?

The team is garbage not because he traded those picks but because everyone he drafted after the 1st round was garbage.

And all but one player he drafted in the 1st round was garbage too.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I want him on the field too.  But this argument that him not seeing the field this season would make him a bad pick is a garbage take.  Whether he ends up a good pick or not is not going to be dependent on his rookie year playing time.  

I'd be stunned if Gase plays him.