Woody will be back running the Jets 1/20/21

6 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Lol no, I have a pretty good one already!....they can be criticised for sure but it just goes way over the top here  and they could just as easily sell to a madcap, egotist nutter with even less of a clue....a Shad Khan taking control of the roster, or a Daniel Snyder with his toxic environment.

Say what you want but they appear to have fostered a positive culture within the organisation and supported the people they have employed. The only real toxicity was between the GM and Jamal Adams, and that was squarely the fault of Joe Douglas. CJ tolerated that and backed his GM. People think they meddle but if anything they maintain a sensible level of engagement in team affairs while leaving the coach and GM to do their jobs, some could even argue they don’t meddle enough by not firing Gase sooner.

We are ok with the Johnson brothers, we just have to hope that hiring Douglas was indeed the right move after so many missteps.

Also the bar doesn't have to be set at the Johnsons being the worst owners in the league for them to be very bad.

Daniel Synder hired Rivera and is in the playoffs right now (terrible division and he has a terrible history as an owner). So let's say that the Johnson's are better owners than Synder and also better than the Jaguars owner.

If we go through the list and find two others that the Johnsons are better than do you know what that means?

It means the Johnson's are still terrible owners.

Hopefully they got it right with Joe Douglas. If they listen to him and stay out of his way I think they will look good eventually. That doesn't change anything that has happened up until this point.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Lol no, I have a pretty good one already!....they can be criticised for sure but it just goes way over the top here  and they could just as easily sell to a madcap, egotist nutter with even less of a clue....a Shad Khan taking control of the roster, or a Daniel Snyder with his toxic environment.

Say what you want but they appear to have fostered a positive culture within the organisation and supported the people they have employed. The only real toxicity was between the GM and Jamal Adams, and that was squarely the fault of Joe Douglas. CJ tolerated that and backed his GM. People think they meddle but if anything they maintain a sensible level of engagement in team affairs while leaving the coach and GM to do their jobs, some could even argue they don’t meddle enough by not firing Gase sooner.

We are ok with the Johnson brothers, we just have to hope that hiring Douglas was indeed the right move after so many missteps.

Agree there's some hyperbole involved but that's fandom for ya. Nevertheless, the basis of the criticisms are mostly fair, while reasonable minds can certainly disagree as to the tenor and intensity.

In the past, their hiring processes have been -- to put very kindly -- amateurish and as a consequence the results have not been good. I also hope the hiring of JD signals that the Johnsons now realize you get what you pay for and stop shopping at the dented can bin by the checkout aisle going forward...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Careful what you wish for....people who think the Johnson boys are the worst owners in the league are seriously underestimating how much worse it could be. 

I never understand the hate for Woody & Chris, both appear to have done everything they can to create the right environment for success. they have been prepared to think outside the box, they have tried different approaches(Koran Ferry, Charley Casserly), they still appear to be flexible in how they view the correct structure for the organisation and how to find the right talent. They have laid down big money when it’s been asked of them, I can’t think of an example where they’ve balked at investing dollars whether it be player contracts(Mo, Trumaine, Revis, CJ Mosley) or front office stricture(giving JD his 6 year deal and carte blanche to change the scouting structure) or backed the GM when he’s wanted to shift the best player on the team (Adams). Crucially neither has ever given the impression that it’s their way or the highway and that they know better. They have always operated collaboratively and when it comes time to front up and take the heat for another disappointing year they are front and center, taking the heat off the GM or coach.

They have built as good a training facility as there is in the league and especially where CJ is concerned they have integrated with the players and backed them on matters that are close the players hearts.
Clearly they haven’t got it right and have made plenty of missteps but it hasn’t been for the want of trying and they have about 29 other owners for company when it comes to searching for that magic formula

I think people just look at Woody & Chris as an easy dog to kick, blame them rather than swallow your pride and admit that you were wrong about that GM, coach, player etc etc.

When our new coach is announced, watch as those who hate the choice immediately blame CJ while those who like it all hail the mighty JD.

Jets fans, we get what we deserve 

I dont agree we get what we deserve, but I do agree that the Johnsons get overly criticized for things that are sometimes not true. 

The notion that they are "cheap" has never made any sense to me.  They have always given whatever funds necessary, and spared no expense when it comes to Florham Park and providing for the team.  Florham Park at one point I believe was the most expensive team facility in the league, and still even after all this time is considered one of the top facilities in football.  Ive talked to players that have played for the Jets and moved on to other organizations and they always say how great Florham Park is, and how much more they have access to there.  

Point is the johnsons have done themselves no favors by a lot of their decision making in the football operations.  They tried to really be the ones to turn things around when their knowledge of the sport and their connections in the league are few and far between.  This caused them to make many poor decisions which have resulted in years of losing.  So to that end they are culpable, but credit should be given for their willingness to provide resources for the organization and willingness now to adapt and let the first real football insider since parcells run the future of football operations for this franchise.  

They arent the best owners by a long shot, but that are also not the worst.  All in all I think fans make a little too much of complaining about them, but its understandable in most cases. 

• Upvote 2

I give the Johnsons credit for creating a professional team environment for the fans.  Even if we suck.  My own two cents about BAD OWNERS:  Someone like Dan Snyder is a faux pimp and charlatan.  Mike Brown apparently financed the Bengals first pro scouting department from the proceeds of owning a roller derby team and recycled his players jock straps.  The Johnsons are a lot of things but they aren't that.  Success is the final arbiter of most of what we see as fans.  But I am glad that the Jets aren't a three ring circus internally.  You can watch the official Jets Flight videos and listen to the podcasts and know there isn't any monkey business going on.  I don't give CJ and Woody credit for much.  But I appreciate professionalism.  Even if the results on the field are bad.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Maxman said:

This is complete garbage. Honestly it is such a terrible post, I don't like saying that but I read this three times and just wow.

You basically said --

Owners:  Trying hard, build a great building, lose a ton of games and the team is the laughing stock of the league. The owner coming back has been in the national news for the wrong reasons but hey the building is great and they are all trying.

Fans:  Deserve the losing because they support the team and are vocal about being fed up with the longest non playoff streak in the league.

Like I said, careful what you wish for 

23 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

I give the Johnsons credit for creating a professional team environment for the fans.  Even if we suck.  My own two cents about BAD OWNERS:  Someone like Snyder is a faux pimp and a depraved charlatan.  Mike Brown apparently financed the Bengals first pro scouting department from the proceeds of owning a roller derby team and recycled his players jock straps.  The Johnsons are a lot of things but they aren't that.  Success is the arbiter of all we see as fans.  But I am glad that the Jets aren't a three ring circus internally.  You can watch the official Jets Flight videos and listen to the podcasts and know there isn't any monkey business going on.  I don't give CJ and Woody credit for much.  But I appreciate professionalism.

Agreed, there’s plenty to be critical of and they’ve got a lot wrong and in no way am I suggesting we have the best owners in the league, but people make the mistake of assuming a change will only ever be a positive development  and that’s a dangerous path to go down in my opinion. 
There’s plenty of scope to be even more dysfunctional than we are and at least having decency and professionalism is a good base principal to operate from.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I dont agree we get what we deserve, but I do agree that the Johnsons get overly criticized for things that are sometimes not true. 

The notion that they are "cheap" has never made any sense to me.  They have always given whatever funds necessary, and spared no expense when it comes to Florham Park and providing for the team.  Florham Park at one point I believe was the most expensive team facility in the league, and still even after all this time is considered one of the top facilities in football.  Ive talked to players that have played for the Jets and moved on to other organizations and they always say how great Florham Park is, and how much more they have access to there.  

Point is the johnsons have done themselves no favors by a lot of their decision making in the football operations.  They tried to really be the ones to turn things around when their knowledge of the sport and their connections in the league are few and far between.  This caused them to make many poor decisions which have resulted in years of losing.  So to that end they are culpable, but credit should be given for their willingness to provide resources for the organization and willingness now to adapt and let the first real football insider since parcells run the future of football operations for this franchise.  

They arent the best owners by a long shot, but that are also not the worst.  All in all I think fans make a little too much of complaining about them, but its understandable in most cases. 

Smart business people, smart owners realize what they don't know. They put experts in operations in charge of things they (owners) don't know and provide them general guardrails.

The Johnson's have not done that, and deserve blame for that. Lead, follow or get out of the way. The Johnson's do not have the acumen of football expertise and structure so they should just get out of the way of those decisions. Again, they have not. Whether that is because of the want to be in the hunt for glory, or be involved does not really matter. They have failed that basic tenet.

That said, it is their dime, and if they choose to stir the pot poorly, they have earned that right. But they then should expect the criticisms, and rightly so.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Smart business people, smart owners realize what they don't know. They put experts in operations in charge of things they (owners) don't know and provide them general guardrails.

The Johnson's have not done that, and deserve blame for that. Lead, follow or get out of the way. The Johnson's do not have the acumen of football expertise and structure so they should just get out of the way of those decisions. Again, they have not. Whether that is because of the want to be in the hunt for glory, or be involved does not really matter. They have failed that basic tenet.

That said, it is their dime, and if they choose to stir the pot poorly, they have earned that right. But they then should expect the criticisms, and rightly so.

I couldn’t agree more with your opening paragraph but I would respectfully disagree that they haven’t done this. I think they have shown that they recognise that they don’t know the football side. The KornFerry debacle was followed by the Charley Casserly process. Both showed a willingness to accept outside help, it was just that willingness was mis-guided and plain wrong, those were mistakes but at least it showed an understanding that they recognise their own limitations in terms of what they do and don’t know.

if yesterday’s presser was a sign of the next step being to trust Joe Douglas and hand over the process to him while still being there as a public face and a backstop to not leave JD totally exposed then I’d argue they might be on the right path. The hope has to be that Douglas is up to the task and can find the right coach and staff while providing them with better talent to work with.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

It's very true, they are mostly responsible for the mess because of their inability to hire good people and then by proxy delegate the responsibility of running the operations of which they knew little.  If thats always the criticism then yea 100% deserved. 

I was simply stating there are things they get criticized for that I believe sometimes are unwarranted, but in this scenario you are 100% correct.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Agreed, there’s plenty to be critical of and they’ve got a lot wrong and in no way am I suggesting we have the best owners in the league, but people make the mistake of assuming a change will only ever be a positive development  and that’s a dangerous path to go down in my opinion. 
There’s plenty of scope to be even more dysfunctional than we are and at least having decency and professionalism is a good base principal to operate from.

You don't appreciate it until you lose it.  I remember the infamous Jail Blazer ers in Portland sports history.  When they were do dysfunctional that they were on the cover of every major sports publication in the country.  It was 24 hour full on bonkers.  Even if you have success it's mitigated by the next scandal.  Now if a new baller"s caught dumping burger wrappers on the floor or disrespecting the working staff.  CJ McCollum will sit a rookie down and tell him "either act like an adult or pack your sh*t and get the **** out of here."  

23 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Like I said, careful what you wish for 

What am I wishing for, other than the Jets to win?

You mention that people stick defending coaches or something like that. Not sure if you ever read my posts but that isn't me. I root for the Jets. I want all the players to do well. But when it doesn't work out, it is time to move on.

If the Johnson's stay out of Joe's way that will be great and I will be the first one praising them. I have gone to pretty much every home game since I was 18 and all I want is them to win.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Man, when you get 3 posts in a row of Max chastising your thoughts, you have struck the nerve.

Been there done that, it usually will be ok after 6 months.

30 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Coool...is this a club of two? or are there many others?

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The list is pretty long actually lol.

Mean Girls Movie GIF by filmeditor

FYI only 3 posts in a row is amateur level nerve striking. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I was simply stating there are things they get criticized for that I believe sometimes are unwarranted, but in this scenario you are 100% correct.  

What things do they get criticized for that are unwarranted?  

7 minutes ago, Maxman said:

What am I wishing for, other than the Jets to win?

You mention that people stick defending coaches or something like that. Not sure if you ever read my posts but that isn't me. I root for the Jets. I want all the players to do well. But when it doesn't work out, it is time to move on.

If the Johnson's stay out of Joe's way that will be great and I will be the first one praising them. I have gone to pretty much every home game since I was 18 and all I want is them to win.

Sorry, not sure I follow what you mean by the bolded?

in my opinion the Jets chances of winning are increased somewhat by having a relatively stable ownership that isn’t tight with the pennies(Paul Brown) or a complete sh!tshow (Snyder, Khan) or one man playing GM (Jerrah).

Having a culture of treating people with decency and respect while providing them with no excuses in terms of facilities is a solid place to start  and shouldn’t be taken for granted. wishing away the Johnson’s in the hope there’s a better owner out there who will magically make all the right decisions and have us perennially contesting Super Bowls in misguided in my opinion and we are just as likely to end up with an even worse, even more dysfunctional owner and organisation. 

They have made a lot of poor decisions, of that their is zero doubt,  but at each step they have shown a willingness to accept their mistakes and try to get it right next time. If Joe Douglas is indeed the right man for the GM job then they have already taken the first big step. The very fact they listened to Gase and canned Maccagnan says to me they aren’t as clueless and disengaged as everyone would like to believe. Should they have gotten rid sooner? ....probably yes, but recognising the discord and that what was in place wasn’t working and pulling the trigger when they did was a bold move, worthy of credit, especially if Douglas turns out to be the guy. 

We all want to win...you don’t have to have gone to every home game since you were 18(apart from this year presumably, or are you stadium security?) to be a fan or to want us to win. Some of us are 6 thousand miles away, in another time zone, who would stay up all through the night(on a school night) in the 80’s and 90’’s to listen to a crackly, weak signal of the Armed Forces Radio Network just for the pleasure of hearing us get battered 45-3 by Miami or the Raiders.....it was no fun being a UK based Jet fan back then either.

I’m a fan too, I’m not an idiot, my posts aren’t ‘garbage’...you just disagree with me....which I’m a lot more ok with than you appear to be.

anyway, I’m looking forward to you calming down in about 6 months or so as per the advice of @Scott Dierking ?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Find the right QB and coach and all of a sudden they'll be good owners.

You are absolutely correct.  Add GM to the list as well.

The biggest problem with the Johnsons has been not hiring the right people to run their football operations.  Admittedly, it's not an easy thing to do.  Most teams cycle through general managers, head coaches, and quarterbacks regularly.

All it takes is hitting on the right GM, HC, and QB combo one time, and things turn around for a decade or more.  They are not "cheap" by any means.  It's a non-sensical argument.  I think it's also very evident that they acknowledge their lack of football expertise and let others take the lead (KornFerry, Casserly, Mac and Douglas leading HC searches).

We need to hope they got it right with Joe Douglas.  I think it's pretty clear this is his ship to steer.  The Johnsons are letting him do his job.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The worst thing Woody has done is putting C J in charge.  

He should have hired an experienced NFL executive to oversee the team.  Woody, while he knows nothing about the NFL, at least has had some successful business experience in the past.  He owned a cable company in Florida that he made millions on. , He was involved in real Estate development that made millions.

CJ on the other hand is the epitome of a golden sperm tennis bum.  He has never had a job in his life, or done anything productive.  I don't even recall seeing pictures of him being around the Jets before he became CEO.

This has been a disaster.  Woodie left his long time friend, and advisor Hymie Elhai as team president to keep an eye on CJ, but Hymie has 0 NFL experience either.

I can't imagine what he was thinking.   He wouldn't have left any of his other business ventures in the hands of dolts.  If he's smart he will turn the team over to Douglas, and Rex Hogan, and let CJ get back to tennis

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

What things do they get criticized for that are unwarranted?  

not caring about winning, or being cheap are both narratives that I have never heard anyone in the league verify, or seen evidence of aside from the beat writers who picked it up when it was triumphed by i believe Mehta. 

I think they care a lot about winning, but have never really known how to go about doing it the right way.  Its a matter of opinion for many, but in mine i think they are just guilty of being absolutely ignorant to a lot of things and have run the organization poorly by not truly getting actual football people in the front office and letting them run things.  I dont think its because they dont care, i think they just have very poor connections in the league that usually help recommend people, and instead made terribly uninformed judgement calls. 

Also to my knowledge they have never shied away from providing resources or funds when necessary.  JD is one of the highest paid GM's in football, the jets have one of the nicest and at one point most expensive facilities in the league, they recently just completely threw out training data analytics system that was requested by Galac not 2 years ago, for a new one that he saw this year and wanted.  They have always given whatever resources were requested.  

Being negligent in their duties to hire good GM's?  Sure.  Not letting the GM's hire the coaches?  Sure.  Not caring what happens to the team and being cheap? sorry i just dont agree with that.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

not caring about winning, or being cheap are both narratives that I have never heard anyone in the league verify, or seen evidence of aside from the beat writers who picked it up when it was triumphed by i believe Mehta. 

I think they care a lot about winning, but have never really known how to go about doing it the right way.  Its a matter of opinion for many, but in mine i think they are just guilty of being absolutely ignorant to a lot of things and have run the organization poorly by not truly getting actual football people in the front office and letting them run things.  I dont think its because they dont care, i think they just have very poor connections in the league that usually help recommend people, and instead made terribly uninformed judgement calls. 

Also to my knowledge they have never shied away from providing resources or funds when necessary.  JD is one of the highest paid GM's in football, the jets have one of the nicest and at one point most expensive facilities in the league, they recently just completely threw out training data analytics system that was requested by Galac not 2 years ago, for a new one that he saw this year and wanted.  They have always given whatever resources were requested.  

Being negligent in their duties to hire good GM's?  Sure.  Not letting the GM's hire the coaches?  Sure.  Not caring what happens to the team and being cheap? sorry i just dont agree with that.  

That's fair. While I think they are grossly incompetent, I never thought they didn't care about winning.

I also wouldn't say they are cheap, per se. I do believe there is something to the rumors of cash flow concerns of the franchise (not personal wealth). 

35 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Sorry, not sure I follow what you mean by the bolded?

in my opinion the Jets chances of winning are increased somewhat by having a relatively stable ownership that isn’t tight with the pennies(Paul Brown) or a complete sh!tshow (Snyder, Khan) or one man playing GM (Jerrah).

Having a culture of treating people with decency and respect while providing them with no excuses in terms of facilities is a solid place to start  and shouldn’t be taken for granted. wishing away the Johnson’s in the hope there’s a better owner out there who will magically make all the right decisions and have us perennially contesting Super Bowls in misguided in my opinion and we are just as likely to end up with an even worse, even more dysfunctional owner and organisation. 

They have made a lot of poor decisions, of that their is zero doubt,  but at each step they have shown a willingness to accept their mistakes and try to get it right next time. If Joe Douglas is indeed the right man for the GM job then they have already taken the first big step. The very fact they listened to Gase and canned Maccagnan says to me they aren’t as clueless and disengaged as everyone would like to believe. Should they have gotten rid sooner? ....probably yes, but recognising the discord and that what was in place wasn’t working and pulling the trigger when they did was a bold move, worthy of credit, especially if Douglas turns out to be the guy. 

We all want to win...you don’t have to have gone to every home game since you were 18(apart from this year presumably, or are you stadium security?) to be a fan or to want us to win. Some of us are 6 thousand miles away, in another time zone, who would stay up all through the night(on a school night) in the 80’s and 90’’s to listen to a crackly, weak signal of the Armed Forces Radio Network just for the pleasure of hearing us get battered 45-3 by Miami or the Raiders.....it was no fun being a UK based Jet fan back then either.

I’m a fan too, I’m not an idiot, my posts aren’t ‘garbage’...you just disagree with me....which I’m a lot more ok with than you appear to be.

anyway, I’m looking forward to you calming down in about 6 months or so as per the advice of @Scott Dierking ?

So the garbage part was in response to your first post. And it may have been harsh, actually having re-read that I responded stronger than I wanted to. My bad on the wording choice. But I was responding to two things:

1. Saying we have great owners because of the facility that we built.  This has provided zero on field advantage for the Jets. Other than getting Brett Favre to come here, it has had no benefit. This team is hurt and a record pace, so the facility is having zero impact on injuries. They got a sweet tax deal and built a nice building. Good story, but that doesn't make them good owners from the fans perspective.  They fire coaches every few years and start over. Jets ownership hasn't been good in anyway.

2. Jets fans, we get what we deserve.  I think this is the part that I was really responding to. Maybe I misunderstood what this means. But the way I read it, Jets fans are getting blamed for the mistakes Woody makes.

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, The Gooch said:

Depend's if Trump can still over turn the election which is a real possibility!!! If not Woody is coming home!!!

No politics please. Works of fiction are generally allowed, but in this case it has a political tie-in. So it is best that we just avoid it all together.  :)

8 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

That's fair. While I think they are grossly incompetent, I never thought they didn't care about winning.

I also wouldn't say they are cheap, per se. I do believe there is something to the rumors of cash flow concerns of the franchise (not personal wealth). 

Yeah I think they absolutely want to win. And I don't think they are cheap.

This year is the only year I feel like they held back in free agency, but I honestly think it had more to do with lost revenue due to the possibility of no fans in the stands.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

1 hour ago, redlichtie said:

I couldn’t agree more with your opening paragraph but I would respectfully disagree that they haven’t done this. I think they have shown that they recognise that they don’t know the football side. The KornFerry debacle was followed by the Charley Casserly process. Both showed a willingness to accept outside help, it was just that willingness was mis-guided and plain wrong, those were mistakes but at least it showed an understanding that they recognise their own limitations in terms of what they do and don’t know.

if yesterday’s presser was a sign of the next step being to trust Joe Douglas and hand over the process to him while still being there as a public face and a backstop to not leave JD totally exposed then I’d argue they might be on the right path. The hope has to be that Douglas is up to the task and can find the right coach and staff while providing them with better talent to work with.

If I could chime in...I've stated on numerous occasions exactly what Scott said and while the Korn Ferry/Casserly debacle appear to show they want outside help, they do not have the business acumen to even interview. I have worked with Fortune 500 CEO's, mid market companies etc. Personally worked for the CEO of Delta at PWC, Ken Langone and many others. Trust me, they would use a recruitment firm to hire talent as their time is valuable. BUT..  they would do the final interview as they have seen success and failure in themselves and countless colleagues and they know the difference. When Chris says Gase and he are in synch etc... it shows how fukking stupid Chris is. Woody walking the sidelines, very present during Hard Knocks etc. All signs that top owner do not do.  Smart businessmen do it drastically differently than the Johnsons as they possess an innate skill that is developed over years of real experience.

Can you imagine a top exec leaving his company to be a figurehead ambassador and leave a billion dollar business to his un accomplished brother?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Maxman said:

It was sarcasm. I have run this site for 16 years and I think I have been pretty fair to people over that time. 

dear maxman, hi !  ?   Happy New Year ! !    if i may.. 

74598.gif

...some folks just don't get it:beer: