Becton > Sewell

Vader

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Wilson, Lance, Jones, Trask- one or all will be there at 23

Thanks. You want to go the draft route. Well, I don't believe waiting to see what QB plinkos down into the 20s is a confidence-inducing strategy. But it's good you will be happy in so many different scenarios!

I hear what you are saying @Sperm Edwards and @slats but you cant tell me that play action to either side of the ball would be awesome to run.  When we won our whole 2 games this year we ran the ball behind the big ticket and ran play action behind him as well.  I hope JD takes this guy sewell and 77 is okay with playing RT as a true road grater. 

7 hours ago, Vader said:

Just spit ballin

Actually though, considering an OL anchored by these two, Ty Johnson’s of the world of course average 7 ypc. Imagine Freeman McNeil behind that line.

Maybe I’m crazy but you have these two guys AND at least one of them can kick inside (and you have Fant (or any other interchangeable OL)) — they could line up at any position on the line beside OC at any given play. You are forcing a front seven not just to make reads and id personnel at skill positions but also on the OL...

You could have bookends. Becton at LT and Sewell at LG. Becton at RG and Sewell at LT. Both on the right side. 

Now throw in skill personnel groupings.

You are a DC, how do you defend that? Coming out of the huddle it forces the D to match up - not who covers whom - but at the line of scrimmage.

At that point draft that Leonard Fullback guy from Rutgers. 

Teams be giving up in the 3rd qtr.

I have said in the past that they should put Sewell at left Guard and Becton at left tackle.  Take the best center in the draft at #23, and keep Fant at right tackle.  Sign Thuney for right guard, and let's play ball!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

Joe Douglas will decide between just two options at #2: take a QB or trade down. He's not taking OTs in back-to-back years. 

This is my thinking as well.  And I think you've said it before but that's not a good allocation of high picks.  You need everything.

I get the appeal to maybe moving Becton to RT and running behind him while Sewell protects the blindside but still, just doesnt make sense from a roster building perspective. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, jgb said:

Thanks. You want to go the draft route. Well, I don't believe waiting to see what QB plinkos down into the 20s is a confidence-inducing strategy. But it's good you will be happy in so many different scenarios!

Any of those guys at 23 is way better than using the second pick overall on Haskins part 2 or Cardale Jones pt 3

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There would be suicidal screams but the team would be closer to a championship by trading down a few slots and finding an top corner, plus then a TE with the extra pick, plus upgrade any FA to the tune of the $4MM/year lower cost of it's 1st round pick. 

People are stuck on offense only.  I suggested CB with our 2nd 1st and got roasted as if I suggested a S or DT.  We need a CB, its about building a team not just an offense.  

1 hour ago, whodeawhodat said:

I hear what you are saying @Sperm Edwards and @slats but you cant tell me that play action to either side of the ball would be awesome to run.  When we won our whole 2 games this year we ran the ball behind the big ticket and ran play action behind him as well.  I hope JD takes this guy sewell and 77 is okay with playing RT as a true road grater. 

I’m all for improving the OL, and I expect it to be done, but they don’t need to use the #2 to do it. They could draft a fine OT with one of their next two picks, while using that #2 on either the QB, or adding a lot of picks over the next two or three years. Much, much better allocations than another OT that high. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, oatmeal said:

That’s assuming Sewell is as dominant as he was in college, what if he’s just average, or bellow? You know those are possibilities regardless of what anyone would love to tell you. 

Say hello to Sewell before Sewell: 

image.jpeg

Mandarin was a a steroid freak.  This what Penei Sewell did to Justin Herbert at 19.  Justin Herbert is almost 6'6 and 240 pounds.  And Sewell's brother is even a more amazing physical specimen than he Is.

20200102-120250-c23b4430da.thumb.jpg.8914bd642f908b2ccfcf3a21ac44fa7b.jpg

2 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

Champions don't build their team by burning back-to-back high 1st round picks on a pair of tackles. So I can tell you that it is as common a way of building a SB winner as drafting a kicker in round 2.

33 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Mandarin was a a steroid freak.  This what Penei Sewell did to Justin Herbert at 19.  Justin Herbert is almost 6'6 and 240 pounds.  And Sewell's brother is even a more amazing physical specimen than he Is.

20200102-120250-c23b4430da.thumb.jpg.8914bd642f908b2ccfcf3a21ac44fa7b.jpg

Does he play with knee braces? 

1 hour ago, slats said:

I’m all for improving the OL, and I expect it to be done, but they don’t need to use the #2 to do it. They could draft a fine OT with one of their next two picks, while using that #2 on either the QB, or adding a lot of picks over the next two or three years. Much, much better allocations than another OT that high. 

It's funny that people are arguing that FQBs can be found in every draft but acting like if we pass on Sewell with the 2nd pick in the draft, our OL is screwed.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, slats said:

Not happening, sorry. 

Taking an OT at #2 the year after you took a really good one at #11 is the same sort of team building skills that brought us Wilkerson, Richardson, Coples in three consecutive drafts. This team has holes all over the place, with the OT spot being one of the better positions right now. With five (or more) picks in the top 100 and a ****ton of cap space, the OL will be improved, though, don't worry about that. It just won't be overkill. 

Joe Douglas will be weighing his evaluation of his top QB vs. the best offer he gets for the pick. Sewell will not be part of the equation, except for his own trade value. 

TWO WORDS: SUPERGROUP. The Traveling Wilburys of Offensive Lines. NWA before the break up.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kdels62 said:

So a top 5 pick, a project potential top 10 pick, a mid first rounder and a 3rd rounder? Those are the QBs you’re willing to take at 23. 

Fields had a guy WIDE OPEN in the endzone & threw it 5' over his head from 7 yards away ! He panics. He hits a big deep 1 & then throws another one to high. He's consistently inconsistent like a lot of QBs & for that reason I'm not taking him with the 2nd overall pick in the draft. And I don't see anyone trading up for him which will confirm my suspicions about what other teams see in him. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Fields had a guy WIDE OPEN in the endzone & threw it 5' over his head from 7 yards away ! He panics. He hits a big deep 1 & then throws another one to high. He's consistently inconsistent like a lot of QBs & for that reason I'm not taking him with the 2nd overall pick in the draft. And I don't see anyone trading up for him which will confirm my suspicions about what other teams see in him. 

Few things

1. That dude was supposed to sit. Young receiver with not enough reps.
2. If he hit one deep and threw one high all the time, don't you think his numbers would show that?
3. Your confirming your suspicions with your own projections? How would you know what other teams see in him right now?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Sewell at 2 Wyatt Davis at 23. Thuney in FA.

So we don't need to address any other part of the team? We don't need another first pick in the draft tackle that will be pissed if he gets moved to the right side and makes less money because of it. It makes no sense in building a team. Our weakness is at guard. Hopefully sign Thuney and then draft a center later in the second round. Move McGovern over to RG. Pick skill players high - QB and WR. Add another corner and we're good.

12 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Um, nope. First, he threw a perfect pass to a rookie in the corner of the end zone from 25 yards out that should have been caught. Another pass the receiver didn't sit on the route. I remember him missing one in the corner. And for Christ sakes, the guy was playing in pain all game - probably at 50% or lower. He is an extremely accurate QB. Have you ever tried to throw with a rib injury - it hurts to breathe. I have to think he was worried about getting hit there again also. If this is your only game watching Fields you should watch a lot of the others. He is usually very accurate. The Clemson game was his most important one and he played an legendary game.

1 hour ago, Samtorobby47 said:

We're acting like Sewell is the only good OL in this draft.

Trade down my friends.

We already have #23 & #34! Take Sewell & Trade up for Wilson! Go bold or go home! Get another stud LT move Becton to RT! Becton wasn't freaking flawless people, he gave up 11 sacks & left multiple games with mystery injuries? 

Only trade back is with Cincy for Sewell! Wait & see his stock jump even higher at the combine. You DO NOT WANT Miami getting this guy, you'll get 10 years of watching him kick Jet defenders asses!

About 180,000 people of Samoans descent live stateside, while 55,000 live in American Samoa, a US territory.Over the past few seasons, roughly 50 players of Samoan descent have been on NFL rosters-about 3% of the league, and nearly 40 times their proportional share of the US population. 

Pennei Sewell is special, STRONG, HUGE, QUICK, and might play at full maturity at between 360-375 Lbs of Samoan man with a mean streak! In other words, Samoans are warriors, Mehki Becton is just a big kid. 

* Joe Douglas is going to create his Philly line, maybe better. Peters- Kelce- Lance Johnson. With that line he won a Super Bowl with a good coach, and backup QB Nick Foles vs the best QB-Coach combo in the history of the game! How'd Nick look when the line broke down or in Chicago? 

• WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

We already have #23 & #34! Take Sewell & Trade up for Wilson! Go bold or go home! Get another stud LT move Becton to RT! Becton wasn't freaking flawless people, he gave up 11 sacks & left multiple games with mystery injuries? 

Only trade back is with Cincy for Sewell! Wait & see his stock jump even higher at the combine. You DO NOT WANT Miami getting this guy, you'll get 10 years of watching him kick Jet defenders asses!

About 180,000 people of Samoans descent live stateside, while 55,000 live in American Samoa, a US territory.Over the past few seasons, roughly 50 players of Samoan descent have been on NFL rosters-about 3% of the league, and nearly 40 times their proportional share of the US population. 

Pennei Sewell is special, STRONG, HUGE, QUICK, and might play at full maturity at between 360-375 Lbs of Samoan man with a mean streak! In other words, Samoans are warriors, Mehki Becton is just a big kid. 

No. That's not how you build a team. Do it again.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

So we don't need to address any other part of the team? We don't need another first pick in the draft tackle that will be pissed if he gets moved to the right side and makes less money because of it. It makes no sense in building a team. Our weakness is at guard. Hopefully sign Thuney and then draft a center later in the second round. Move McGovern over to RG. Pick skill players high - QB and WR. Add another corner and we're good.

We picked Mims last year. We'll sign a free agent WR & Guard and still have #23 & #34 & #66/87. And 2 1sts next year!

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Oh that's right, you take shots in the dark like Idzik did in 2014, or Parcells did missing out on Pace & Walter Jones. 

We don't need another left tackle - we have our Orlando Pace for the next 10 or 15 years. You don't pick a right tackle this high in the draft, especially when you need a guard and a center. I'd much rather pick Smith if we don't go QB.

2 minutes ago, undertow said:

The best run we've had in 50 years was anchored by taking 2 O-lineman in the first round in the same draft and people are like YoU CaNt taKE tWO OffEnSive LiNeMen In BaCK to bACK DrafTS. LOL

EXACTLY! We went into Gillette stadium with a Rookie QB, a guy we traded a 5th for (Edwards) a 5th for (Holmes), signed an aging LT, and pulled off one of the biggest upsets EVER in a playoff game! Only the Ravens pulled off what the Jets pulled off winning in New England. 

• Upvote 1