Crowder to be a salary cap casualty?

Rhg1084

2 hours ago, QB1 said:

Yea easy to replace, that’s why Hogan and Berrios were our 1/2 WRs for 5 weeks and all of training camp 

c'mon.  you must have watched the injury reports from the jets.  mims was out until midseason and perriman missed a bunch of early games.  vincynt smith missed the whole season and doctson sat out.  these injuries all happened during training camp when it was too late to land any decent free agents.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, addage said:

Maybe,  But you can argue the exact opposite.  Since all the other WR's were poor, the D's could focus on him.  If the team had a better corps of receivers, he would have been open far more often.

I can argue that if Crowder were the #3 WR and open due to neglect as the #3 WR that you can pay a sure handed UDFA/late round pick/low tier FA to fill that role for far less. That saved money can be used to upgrade other positions that are far more important than the #3 WR. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

We can try to interpret and dissect the "true meaning" ofeverything Robby says, or take it at face value.

Robby said he wanted to return. Then his college coach was hired by Carolina. Then dude said he wanted to play with his college coach. 

I'm not buying into the conspiracy here.

And to the broader point, I don't think Jamison Crowder is some indispensable piece. I'd rather pay Jonnnu Smith, a good blocker and legit athletic weapon at TE for this scheme, pay one or two big ticket free agent interior lineman and ultimately replace Crowder with some savvy, diminutive slot receiver on day 3 of the draft. 

You are buying into a conspiracy though. You're claiming you know when Robby is lying and when he's telling the truth, to make it fit a narrative that even the Jets' FO has made no attempts to refute.

There is zero evidence the Jets even made a 4/$40MM offer; just a rumor that was substantiated by nobody on either side. The only comments on the Jets' offer, by either party, was Anderson calling it fake news and the Jets' GM saying he made a mistake regarding his not re-signing Anderson. For all you know, the Jets' offer was 5/$40MM, or the 4/$40MM had non-guaranteed balloon payments in years 3-4 (i.e. $16MM over the first 2 years and $24MM over the latter 2 years, with just $8-10MM guaranteed for skill). There's no basis for believing anything other than that.

Also nobody is making the claim Crowder is an indispensable piece. All anyone's saying is he's one of the only players on the roster who's been producing, and on top of that he isn't making crazy money (by today's NFL standards) either. My only take is it makes little sense to cut our receiver corps down to 1 (just Mims, who's not exactly a proven starter yet himself) and then begin going WR + TE shopping.

As much as I'd be in favor of it, it's also a tall order for two big ticket OL FAs. Let's see Douglas sign one first. So far Douglas has passed on any/all big ticket veteran OL upgrades. My recollection is he didn't even put in an offer for Conklin, who was linked to the Jets for the week or so before signing with Cleveland (for some $5MM less than he was expected to get), while he signed Fant - a backup swing tackle - to serious starter money instead. Particularly if Darnold returns as the starter, there isn't going to be some massive desire for two "big ticket" FAs, each with options to go elsewhere/anywhere, to instead rush to the Jets. 

56 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I guess you can spin it any way, but Anderson made it clear with his own words he didn't want to return to NY

I Was Losing My Love For Football': Robby Anderson Opens Up About Playing In New York

MAX GOODMAN
JAN 19, 2021
  •  
  •  
  •  

By the end of Robby Anderson's four-year stint with the Jets, the wide receiver had established himself as a star in New York. That doesn't mean the wideout was enjoying his time in green and white.

Anderson revealed this week that playing for the Jets took a toll on his mental health.

"I felt like I was losing my love for football," he said in an interview with the Charlotte Observer. "It was days I wouldn’t even want to go to the building like I didn’t like feeling like that ... there was just a lot of things. I just wasn’t genuinely happy there all the time."

Over his first four years in the NFL, Anderson accumulated 3,059 receiving yards and 20 touchdowns with the Jets. An undrafted free agent out of Temple, Anderson quickly blossomed into New York's No. 1 option at wide receiver. 

Then, this past offseason, Anderson inked a two-year deal worth $12 million guaranteed to sign with the Panthers. The 27-year-old had a career year in 2020 with Carolina, eclipsing the 1,000-yard mark for the first time in his career (ending up with 1,096 receiving yards). He had more receptions (95) than he's ever had before in the NFL.

Anderson said leaving the Jets was "one of the best decisions" he's made and that playing in Carolina has been a "new breath of air." He clarified that he never felt close to quitting while donning a Jets uniform, but that it was a continuous struggle. 

"It was a situation I had to fight through and build through and find positivity and also within myself, look myself in the mirror and understand why things were certain ways, and I had to make personal change as well," he explained. 

All that stuff was said after the fact, after he found early success with the Panthers. 

Meanwhile Mr. Depressed was also posting celebratory tweets at not getting traded away from the Jets at the October deadline.

He's giving verbal support to whichever team he's with. I'd expect the same from any player who isn't actively shooting his way off his team.

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

All that stuff was said after the fact, after he found early success with the Panthers. 

Meanwhile Mr. Depressed was also posting celebratory tweets at not getting traded away from the Jets at the October deadline.

He's giving verbal support to whichever team he's with. I'd expect the same from any player who isn't actively shooting his way off his team.

And before he signed with the Panthers he, and his agent, were trying to run his price up.

Fact is he loved Rhule.  Rhule prevented Anderson from being expelled from Temple, otherwise the whole conversation would have been moot.  He'd be hanging around in Riviera Beach.  If not in jail.  As long as the money was close, Anderson was going to the Panthers.

I really don't see how not signing Anderson was that big of a loss.  Big debate in another thread about paying Crowder $10M.  Seems like the board is about split to bring him back. 

Crowder had 6 TD's this year in 89 targets, Anderson had 3 TD's in 136 Targets.   Crowder had 11.8 yards per reception, Anderson had 11.5.

Anderson just isn't that valuable, and didn't want to play here.  He's said so mutiple times.   Plus he has behavioral issues that were threathening his career.  

Don't see any problem with not re-signing him.

40 minutes ago, flgreen said:

And before he signed with the Panthers he, and his agent, were trying to run his price up.

Fact is he loved Rhule.  Rhule prevented Anderson from being expelled from Temple, otherwise the whole conversation would have been moot.  He'd be hanging around in Riviera Beach.  If not in jail.  As long as the money was close, Anderson was going to the Panthers.

I really don't see how not signing Anderson was that big of a loss.  Big debate in another thread about paying Crowder $10M.  Seems like the board is about split to bring him back. 

Crowder had 6 TD's this year in 89 targets, Anderson had 3 TD's in 136 Targets.   Crowder had 11.8 yards per reception, Anderson had 11.5.

Anderson just isn't that valuable, and didn't want to play here.  He's said so mutiple times.   Plus he has behavioral issues that were threathening his career.  

You're reading into it, and moving goalposts in the process. I'm not saying Anderson wasn't and isn't replaceable. Just that it was not just poor judgment to not re-sign him, then replace him with the perpetually-unreliable Perriman, but also that people are making any excuse for Douglas they possibly can like he's the new deity. 

What I'm seeing is any move, no matter how shortsighted, and even no matter how poor the outcome, is being rationalized. Even when Douglas admits his own mistakes, people here are coming to his rescue as though he did nothing wrong. Anderson could've been signed.

Had he re-signed Anderson that would have been celebrated as good GMing. Instead he let Anderson go by lowballing him and not making any serious offer until 5 months too late, so instead that gets celebrated. Basically anything Douglas did would have been celebrated as the right move or the only move he could have made, whether true or not.

He's done some things I like - and was greatly rewarded for holding his cards for a longer time with Adams - but that speaks just as much to Carroll again making a trade blunder for another's castoff than anything masterful. Credit him for making the move, but at the same time accept that he could have just as likely ended up holding the hot potato. Douglas has yet to make a really good move in terms of adding or keeping a veteran (and has gotten massively overblown accolades for Becton) to make the roster better. He's turned down at least a few (Adams, Anderson, Conklin) and so far was wrong on 2/3 of those. Hopefully he aces those Adams picks, and one of the reasons I'm in favor of trading for Watson is it would seal in a successful bounty for that trade.

I'd think Jets fans would have learned by now not to presume anyone the Jets hire is automatically competent (let alone above average) at his job, or is a master chess player thinking 5 moves ahead compared to the benighted checkers players here, even in the face of so many of his poor judgment decisions in such a short timespan. 

7 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

he’s been by far our best player the last 2 years. I would personally keep him as $10m isn’t crazy for him. But I’m confident Douglas will get some playmakers in here at WR whether Crowder is with us or not 

Keep in mind Gase ran his offense through the slot which inflated his numbers. Crowder is a good player but I don’t see him getting $10MM per year on the open market in this cap crunch climate. The Jets should try to renegotiate a new contract at a lower AAV. 

2 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I can argue that if Crowder were the #3 WR and open due to neglect as the #3 WR that you can pay a sure handed UDFA/late round pick/low tier FA to fill that role for far less. That saved money can be used to upgrade other positions that are far more important than the #3 WR. 

Your thesis seems to be that any player on the Jets is incompetent. So each year, bring in a whole new group. Then, cut them at the end of the season. Great way to build a team. 

1 hour ago, addage said:

Your thesis seems to be that any player on the Jets is incompetent. So each year, bring in a whole new group. Then, cut them at the end of the season. Great way to build a team. 

No, not at all. I think that if you can get similar production for less it may be a prudent option due to the fact the team has so many holes. The #3 WR isn't as important as starting linebackers, starting corners, starting linemen, starting RB ect. It's a big picture thing, nothing against the player.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, flgreen said:

Good post. Fully Agree. 

Happy to see him elsewhere. 

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You are buying into a conspiracy though. You're claiming you know when Robby is lying and when he's telling the truth, to make it fit a narrative that even the Jets' FO has made no attempts to refute.

There is zero evidence the Jets even made a 4/$40MM offer; just a rumor that was substantiated by nobody on either side. The only comments on the Jets' offer, by either party, was Anderson calling it fake news and the Jets' GM saying he made a mistake regarding his not re-signing Anderson. For all you know, the Jets' offer was 5/$40MM, or the 4/$40MM had non-guaranteed balloon payments in years 3-4 (i.e. $16MM over the first 2 years and $24MM over the latter 2 years, with just $8-10MM guaranteed for skill). There's no basis for believing anything other than that.

Also nobody is making the claim Crowder is an indispensable piece. All anyone's saying is he's one of the only players on the roster who's been producing, and on top of that he isn't making crazy money (by today's NFL standards) either. My only take is it makes little sense to cut our receiver corps down to 1 (just Mims, who's not exactly a proven starter yet himself) and then begin going WR + TE shopping.

As much as I'd be in favor of it, it's also a tall order for two big ticket OL FAs. Let's see Douglas sign one first. So far Douglas has passed on any/all big ticket veteran OL upgrades. My recollection is he didn't even put in an offer for Conklin, who was linked to the Jets for the week or so before signing with Cleveland (for some $5MM less than he was expected to get), while he signed Fant - a backup swing tackle - to serious starter money instead. Particularly if Darnold returns as the starter, there isn't going to be some massive desire for two "big ticket" FAs, each with options to go elsewhere/anywhere, to instead rush to the Jets. 

I do not follow the bold part. As I understand it, Robby wanted to stay, so long as he got paid, until Rhule was hired in Carolina. Then he said prefers Carolina so long as the money is close?

I feel like I'm not interpreting anything, I'm just looking at the timeline?  Maybe JD's mistake was not getting a deal done before Rhule was hired? I don't know?

As for the last paragraph - we agree that, at least so far, we haven't seen Douglas spend on any top free agent. It was a weird year with the uncertainty of the pandemic. And while I doubt Joe Douglas is a 'build through the free agency' type of GM, I think it's safe to say we'll be more aggressive this year. What that means is entirely speculative at this point, but clearly he should see that last year, nearly all of his budget offensive line signings were trash. If I were him, I'd be far more aggressive in chasing Linsley & Thuney over any skill position premium free agent, as offensive lineman routinely play at a high level well into their second contract and it addresses one of the biggest weak points of the roster. 

I'm not speculating too much on last year's free agency. But we'll see.