Prospects the Jets have met with virtually

nyjbuddy

13 hours ago, football guy said:

With the amount of picks the Jets are going to have in this draft they may even pick two so there’s hope for you lol. Seriously though, I think they sign a vet cheap. They’re probably gonna carry 4 guys. Whose to say they don’t take 2 rookies on day 3 and force the FA signing to make the team or even look to stash a veteran RB on IR?

I don’t think anyone should be guaranteed a roster spot. Best 4 guys. 

Totally. Perine, Johnson, a veteran and 2 Rookies (1 drafted 1 UNDFA) should be competing for 4 spots... 3 if we sign a FB like K. Jucszcyk

• Upvote 3

On 2/25/2021 at 12:20 AM, football guy said:

Jaylen Waddle, Kadarius Toney, Rondale Moore, Tutu Atwell, Amari Rodgers, Cade Johnson, D'Wayne Eskridge, Demetric Felton, Jaelon Darden... Jets are looking for a specific type at WR. Great draft to be looking for a movement-Y/Z receiver with short-area burst and elite speed who thrive on jet sweeps/screens/quick hitters

WR Downfield blocking & YAC is a big requirement/function of the SF quick hit offense.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Lith said:

Can anyone explain why no prospect meetings are being reported by any Jets beat writers.  So instead I have to follow some Justin Melo dude that I never heard of until a few days ago.

Douglas is running a tight ship and not letting any information out of the building.  This guy is getting his info via the players and agents themselves.  Most of the players this guy has been tweeting about with virtual meetings aren't the typical players going on the first day.  These players are making sure their names get out there so that teams take notice and possibly other media outlets.  

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Douglas is running a tight ship and not letting any information out of the building.  This guy is getting his info via the players and agents themselves.  Most of the players this guy has been tweeting about with virtual meetings aren't the typical players going on the first day.  These players are making sure their names get out there so that teams take notice and possibly other media outlets.  

Maybe our Darius Slayton??

On 2/17/2021 at 8:26 PM, football guy said:

Add Jaylen Waddle to the list. The Jets have established a “higher than usual” amount of contact with him, both officially and unofficially.

Waddle could be the first receiver off the Board - I think he's in legit contention to be WR1

52 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Waddle could be the first receiver off the Board - I think he's in legit contention to be WR1

One thing that (to me) highlights just how amateur most of these draft pundits on twitter are - is this obscene need to establish a pseudo-hierarchy. Including (and especially) "The Draft Network".... 

"Chase is WR1"

What the fck does that mean? You're saying that all teams everywhere, no matter what their needs are at WR, will have Chase with WR1 beside his name? In what universe?... What happened to "round grade"... and considering that teams have different needs... maybe some don't need a X/split end... or maybe that's ALL they need. 

Anyway, Peace out

17 hours ago, Lith said:

Can anyone explain why no prospect meetings are being reported by any Jets beat writers.  So instead I have to follow some Justin Melo dude that I never heard of until a few days ago.

Schwartz is interesting, he might be the fastest guy in the draft, no?

Tough study on film.  Auburn's offense sucks and Bo Nix is terrible.  I feel like every time I saw him he was catching balls like the above, at or near the LOS, which is Auburn's offense under Malzahn but you have to think he track the long ball, right?  idk.  What I do know, is he could be a steal if he's really falling to the 3rd rd like I've seen in some mocks.

In general, there are quite a few mid to late round prospects I like at WR, Schwartz is one of them,

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Schwartz is interesting, he might be the fastest guy in the draft, no?

Tough study on film.  Auburn's offense sucks and Bo Nix is terrible.  I feel like every time I saw him he was catching balls like the above, at or near the LOS, which is Auburn's offense under Malzahn but you have to think he track the long ball, right?  idk.  What I do know, is he could be a steal if he's really falling to the 3rd rd like I've seen in some mocks.

In general, there are quite a few mid to late round prospects I like at WR, Schwartz is one of them,

My issue is that he couldn’t separate well even with his speed. But also Bo Nix made me hate watching football so I can’t tell if it’s all on Schwartz.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, David Harris said:

My cousin is one of his reps so I've gotten really good intel on him. Obviously they're biased but they do feel he has a good chance of being the first, if not second, receiver off the board. 

The issue they foresee is some uncertainty. Like last year, receivers could fall out of the top 10 because they're just so much talent available. This class is no different, and is right up there with last year's class, which many believe was the deepest ever. 

Some teams are going to stack there boards by grade and stick to that "BPA" approach, others are more need-specific, and then you have teams who apply a both along with formulas to account for positional value and scarcity. Like last year: Jets could've taken a WR or a LT at 11, opted for a LT and got the WR in round 2, knowing there would be a lot of guys with high grades available with franchise LTs being far less likely (also because its a far more important position). JAX prioritized the defense. 

So the question becomes how will teams like MIA, PHI, DET approach their first pick... will they just take the best player or will they take the best player at the most scarce position, and follow up on WR later?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, football guy said:

My cousin is one of his reps so I've gotten really good intel on him. Obviously they're biased but they do feel he has a good chance of being the first, if not second, receiver off the board. 

The issue they foresee is some uncertainty. Like last year, receivers could fall out of the top 10 because they're just so much talent available. This class is no different, and is right up there with last year's class, which many believe was the deepest ever. 

Some teams are going to stack there boards by grade and stick to that "BPA" approach, others are more need-specific, and then you have teams who apply a both along with formulas to account for positional value and scarcity. Like last year: Jets could've taken a WR or a LT at 11, opted for a LT and got the WR in round 2, knowing there would be a lot of guys with high grades available with franchise LTs being far less likely (also because its a far more important position). JAX prioritized the defense. 

So the question becomes how will teams like MIA, PHI, DET approach their first pick... will they just take the best player or will they take the best player at the most scarce position, and follow up on WR later?

Good optics on the subject. 

Personally i don't think this year's class is as deep/strong as last's... 2020 had a robust group of tier 1 and 2 WRs who blended into each other nicely/gradually.  This cohort has speed concerns throughout, some injury history and scant day 3 talent IMO... but the top shelf group is enticing. After that, I see a lot slot/insider guys. 

Tough to predict when the run will start. If the top 10 teams don't bite, i think you'll see a run in the teens to the 30s of those 5-6 names, then big cool off till round 3. Just guessing. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, football guy said:

I have a friend who works for GSE, he works primarily with their golf division.  I think they have Amon-Ra St. Brown as well in this years rookie class. 

On 2/25/2021 at 4:36 PM, football guy said:

Nothing lately. I do know a Jets scout really likes Javian Hawkins and it looks like the Jets have met with him 

Not directed at you -- but the collective JN.

Watch this... tell me what you see. I'm not going to list my inventory of concerns here... but are you guys not seeing the same things i'm seeing? He has like, no natural feel for the position - whatsoever. 

21 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Watch this... tell me what you see. I'm not going to list my inventory of concerns here... but are you guys not seeing the same things i'm seeing? He has like, no natural feel for the position - whatsoever. 

I think he only made one guy miss in that entire video.  Got a bulk of his yards on that one long run.  Ran directly into way too many defenders. 

25 minutes ago, Paradis said:

The only thing a saw from him is speed, but with that frame its kinda of expected can he survive in the nfl? Could take a shot on him as a 7th rounder or UDFA

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Personally i don't think this year's class is as deep/strong as last's... 2020 had a robust group of tier 1 and 2 WRs who blended into each other nicely/gradually.  This cohort has speed concerns throughout, some injury history and scant day 3 talent IMO... but the top shelf group is enticing. After that, I see a lot slot/insider guys. 

Tough to predict when the run will start. If the top 10 teams don't bite, i think you'll see a run in the teens to the 30s of those 5-6 names, then big cool off till round 3. Just guessing. 

It's interesting.  Like last year, there seems to be a 'big 3'.  I like Chase, Waddle, Smith a bit more than Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs.  But I think you are right in that the next 10 guys from last year were really good (see Justin Jefferson and Chase Claypool for example).  6 taken in round 1.  Another 7 in round 2.

I'm not sure if there are that many guys this year with the same cachet.  Last year, the Mims pick probably finished up the run of really good WRs in the late 2nd round.  Do we think a similar level of talent will be available even at our pick at #34?  Once Bateman and Moore, and maybe Toney and Marshall are gone, is there an enticing prospect left?

I'm not well versed on these guys so I'd love to hear what others think.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It's interesting.  Like last year, there seems to be a 'big 3'.  I like Chase, Waddle, Smith a bit more than Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs.  But I think you are right in that the next 10 guys from last year were really good (see Justin Jefferson and Chase Claypool for example).  6 taken in round 1.  Another 7 in round 2.

I'm not sure if there are that many guys this year with the same cachet.  Last year, the Mims pick probably finished up the run of really good WRs in the late 2nd round.  Do we think a similar level of talent will be available even at our pick at #34?  Once Bateman and Moore, and maybe Toney and Marshall are gone, is there an enticing prospect left?

Last year was WAY deeper at the WR position, especially if you were looking for an “X” receiver.  This year the X is a rare species, tons of slots but not many X’s.  

There were 17 WRs drafted in the first 3 rounds, 20% of all players drafted in the first 2 rounds were WRs.  37 WRs overall.  We won’t approach those numbers this year.  

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, nycdan said:

You nailed it - that's pretty much the edge. For me; Smith/Waddle/Chase/Marshall/Moore and then I'm looking down the cliffside... like I said, lot of slot/inside guys this year. A lot... to @sec101row23 point, last year was a great time to address that outside big play WR... and you can couple that nicely with an inside guy if you want this year. Mims + Moore or Marshall (who can do both inside/outside) would perfect. 

But 37 WRs this year? no... You'll see those Ekridge/Darden and friends find a home in rounds 3 to maybe 4.. and then it's dust in the wind.

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

I agree with this, I think the top end Wr are as good if not better, but no where near the depth. 

Mark my words some of these 4,5,6th round Wr's from last year are going to take off next year and people will be wondering where all these guys came from.

At least one of Clarke or morgan or perine better turn out good or I am kicking Douglas in the nuts.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You nailed it - that's pretty much the edge. For me; Smith/Waddle/Chase/Marshall/Moore and then I'm looking down the cliffside... like I said, lot of slot/inside guys this year. A lot... to @sec101row23 point, last year was a great time to address that outside big play WR... and you can couple that nicely with an inside guy if you want this year. Mims + Moore or Marshall (who can do both inside/outside) would perfect. 

But 37 WRs this year? no... You'll see those Ekridge/Darden and friends find a home in rounds 3 to maybe 4.. and then it's dust in the wind.

No Bateman in your top tier?

15 minutes ago, section314 said:

No Bateman in your top tier?

Top tier, nope. He's maybe like 9th-10th for me, with a round 3 type grade.  I guess i could include him as #6 of that top 5 I listed because other people may value him more... but then again, wouldn't be surprised if he didn't go till late day 2. 

It wouldn't shock to see only 3 WRs go in the first. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, football guy said:

I heard some things from a trainer friend of mine, thinks if Waddle is fully healthy, his testing numbers are going to open some eyes... He thinks he could catapult him up boards. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/2/2021 at 4:14 PM, Beerfish said:

I agree with this, I think the top end Wr are as good if not better, but no where near the depth. 

Mark my words some of these 4,5,6th round Wr's from last year are going to take off next year and people will be wondering where all these guys came from.

At least one of Clarke or morgan or perine better turn out good or I am kicking Douglas in the nuts.

Kick Groin GIF by Idiocracy

• Upvote 2

On 2/28/2021 at 7:57 PM, Lith said:

They only care about QB speculation. It drives clicks to the casual fans. Only die hard fans care about draft visits. 

On 3/1/2021 at 10:40 AM, Paradis said:

One thing that (to me) highlights just how amateur most of these draft pundits on twitter are - is this obscene need to establish a pseudo-hierarchy. Including (and especially) "The Draft Network".... 

"Chase is WR1"

What the fck does that mean? You're saying that all teams everywhere, no matter what their needs are at WR, will have Chase with WR1 beside his name? In what universe?... What happened to "round grade"... and considering that teams have different needs... maybe some don't need a X/split end... or maybe that's ALL they need. 

Anyway, Peace out

JD does not use round grades actually, just a rating for how good they are and how they fit into the system. Obviously still a number but they do not assign rounds to there. It was in one of the only good articles Mehta ever wrote.

• Upvote 1

Anyway we could have a sticky or post that list all of our virtuals? Like update the first post kinda thing. 

Obviously its weird with Zoom this year. But all you draft guys know were going to end up drafting many of the guys we meet with. I think it was like 5 guys we drafted/signed were meetings last year. 

This is walterfootball so far.  

https://walterfootball.com/prospectMeetings/byteam

New York Jets

Larnel Coleman, Offensive Tackle, Massachusetts (VIR)

Zaven Collins, Outside Linebacker, Tulsa (VIR)

Teven Jenkins, Offensive Tackle, Oklahoma State (VIR)

Elijah Molden, Cornerback, Washington (VIR)

Rondale Moore, Wide Receiver, Purdue (VIR)

Jaret Patterson, Running Back, Buffalo (VIR)

Anthony Schwartz, Wide Receiver, Auburn (VIR)

Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Wide Receiver, Iowa (VIR)

JaCoby Stevens, Outside Linebacker, LSU (VIR)

Darius Stills, Defensive Tackle, West Virginia (VIR)

Tommy Tremble, TE, Notre Dame (VIR)

Trill Williams, Cornerback, Syracuse (VIR)

Side note -

I feel like the stars are aligning for Teven Jenkins. (Tony Pauline blurb, Meet with Team, Need, Athletic nasty player and 23 is prob the perfect spot before Pitt gets him). 

Would be nice to go OT then WR like last year with Jenkins at 23 and Moore at 34. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/2/2021 at 1:14 PM, Beerfish said:

I get Hackenburg vibes with Morgan. I mean there is just nothing. Nothing in camp. Nothing during the season, now we are drafting a QB. Will he even be a backup?