18 game schedule coming soon?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...chedule-perhaps-as-early-as-2025-per-reports/

Per cbssportsline and NBC Sports, the NFL is already headed for an 18 game schedule in the "imminent future."

The NFL is about to host its biggest season ever, expanding to a 17-game schedule this year. But don't count out yet another expansion in the coming years. According to NBC Sports, the league is aiming for a move to 18 games -- as soon as the 2025 season -- if not earlier. The NFL's current collective bargaining agreement, which runs through 2030, outlines only a move from 16 to 17 regular-season games, but Peter King reports "most observers ... think 18 games is definitely on the way, sooner rather than later" with ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio saying it's "just a matter of time" until an additional week is up for a vote by the owners. So NFL fans better get ready for an 18 game regular season, which means that including the playoffs, some teams will now be playing 21-22 football games over the course of 6-7 months."

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

@joewilly12 whats confusing?  The NFL has been trying to get to an 18 games schedule and has proposed it for almost as long as I can remember.  17 was a compromise and a step closer to 18 IMO, exactly what I thought as soon as they announced the 17 game schedule

• Upvote 1

One thing about the 17 game schedule is that even tho records are meant to be broke? 

I bet with an extra added game (or 2) the All-Time (single season) records set by...

Peyton Manning (most TDs, single season; 55). 

Drew Brees (most pass completions, season: 471). 

Peyton Manning (most passing yards, single season; 5,547). 

LaDainian Tomlinson (most single season TDs ever, 31). 

Eric Dickerson (2,105 single season rushing yards). 

Michael Thomas (most catches in a single season, 149). 

Chris Johnson: (Most yards from scrimmage, season: 2,509. 

Dick Night Train Lane (Most interceptions, season: 14). 

Hardy Nickerson (Most solo tackles, season: 214). 

Michael Strahan (Most sacks, season: 22.5). Now this one, I hope gets beat because Farve laid down for him). 

Etc. Etc. 

Will begin to get broken on a regular (and on an anual) basis due to an extra game. 

2 extra games (imo) will become overkill; while washing away legends from the record books (forgotten forever). 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

One thing about the 17 game schedule is that even tho records are meant to be broke? 

I bet with an extra added game (or 2) the All-Time (single season) records set by...

Michael Strahan (Most sacks, season: 22.5). Now this one, I hope gets beat because Farve laid down for him). 

Etc. Etc. 

Will begin to get broken on a regular (and on an anual) basis due to an extra game. 

2 extra games (imo) will become overkill; while washing away legends from the record books (forgotten forever). 

In their minds, breaking records = more attention.  

• Upvote 1

After a few years no one will care about records being broken for 18 instead of 16 games just like no one cares about records broken after they expanded to 16 from 14.  

imo, More football is better IF they expand the rosters to account for injuries. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Etc. Etc. 

No one cares or worries about pro football records, theyre meaningless because the rules constantly change.  

Football's not like baseball where as a kid I had Ruths, Mays HR marks and the 500 HR club to memory.   I would struggle with even NFL records like rushing yards, receiving yards and catches etc

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

imo, More football is better IF they expand the rosters to account for injuries. 

Thats the only way it could really happen.  Might be the only way the players union agrees to it.  More potential union members making NFL money is a good negotiating ploy for both sides

• Upvote 1

The CFL for years had 16 games and 4 ex games.  Years ago they switched it to 18 games and 2 ex games.  The change worked well and after a few years there was no discernible problem as far as a ton more of injuries or whatever is concerned.

The NFL for sure should have been moving to 17-3 at least earlier as for years at least one ex game has been a waste game more or less.

18 and 2 will work out and people and players after initially hollering about it will get used to it.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Like Manning breaking the Favres mark, Brees passing him, Brady will pass him? 

Notice most of the records are newer, almost exclusively of the 16 game era?  Not many players hold any of the "important" records from 14 or 12 game seasons 

Look at Don Maynard, the first receiver to reach 10,000 yards and retired as pro football's all-time leading receiver.  Which stood for a while until Charlie Joiner passed him.  Now hes number 30 in receiving yards.  Why records in the NFL dont count as much as MLB records

• Sympathy 2

16 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Per cbssportsline and NBC Sports, the NFL is already headed for an 18 game schedule in the "imminent future."

Good.

18 Regular, 2 Preseason.  Perfect.

Now increase the roster size, and make all rostered players active.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Notice most of the records are newer, almost exclusively of the 16 game schedule?  Not many players hold any of the "important" records from 14 or 12 game seasons? 

Look at Don Maynard, the first receiver to reach 10,000 yards and retired as pro football's all-time leading receiver.  Which stood for a while until Charlie Joiner passed him.  Now hes number 30 in receiving yards.  Why records in the NFL dont count as much as MLB records

https://www.mlb.com/video/2021-no-hitters

The ball is doctored.  No hitters this year is complete BS.  No record of Tom Brady's should ever be regarded as he is a blatant cheater.

15 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

https://www.mlb.com/video/2021-no-hitters

The ball is doctored.  No hitters this year is complete BS.  No record of Tom Brady's should ever be regarded as he is a blatant cheater.

Slight difference in numbers.  The ball was dialed back this year but HR hitters are still hitting HRs.  

But the game hasnt changed like the NFL.  You can debate Ruth playing day games vs Mays playing a huge number of night games, relief pitchers in Mays day vs Ruths forever and thats the fun of baseball stats.  But football of today doesnt resemble the game when I got my season tix in 1977.  From the 14 game schedule to the rule that have changed the game from ground and pound to an arial show.  OL holding rules, CBs not being able to chuck WRs downfield, not being able to breath on a QB, the hash marks being brought in tighter, its a different game.  

Again average fans dont know football stats like they know baseball stats.  

Notice most of the records are newer, almost exclusively of the 16 game schedule?  Not many players hold any of the "important" records from 14 or 12 game seasons? 
Sure the game Is much diff now .. QBs dont get creamed nearkybas much ... longevity record should be broken ... otherwise something is wrong.

DBs cannot touch receivers ... denfenseless receivers... all these changes are put in place to extend careers and artificially make it seem like skill have increased.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Just now, Dunnie said:

Sure the game I'd much diff now .. QBs dont get creamed nearkybas much ... longevity record should be broken ... otherwise something is wrong.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Thats only one part of the changes made to the game.  OL rules made even more of a difference.  

• Sympathy 1