An interesting wrinkle for Training Camp

Much has been said about last year's rookie class.  I have posted on it as has most of the board. 

But there is something relevant to bear in mind.  NONE of last year's draft picks had a training camp.  Under the league rules, the only time that players wear pads and hit in practice is in training camp.  No pads and no hitting during the season.  So Becton, Mims, Davis, Perine, Morgan, Clark, Hall and Mann have not yet practiced in pads with hitting as professionals.  Their only experience was during games.  Unlike regular season games, practice take place six days per week and players in those practices are trying to earn roster spots, playing time and starting jobs.  It is a grind for all players and the crucible that Saleh keeps talking about.  This year last year's class will practice under sustained real game conditions for the first time.  That sharpens the knife and provides young players with experience against fellow professionals.  Robbing last year's rookies of training camp made the steep climb into a starting job all the more steeper.  

I think that the daily grind will produce some surprises from last year's class.  So much has changed.  There are new systems on offense and defense.  There is a large incoming class of free agents and another incoming class of rookies on whom much as been written.  There is a full training camps.  It means that all of last year's rookies are new again.      

Here is the day three and UDFA roundup:

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1

21 hours ago, clayton163v said:

Much has been said about last year's rookie class.  I have posted on it as has most of the board. 

But there is something relevant to bear in mind.  NONE of last year's draft picks had a training camp.  Under the league rules, the only time that players wear pads and hit in practice is in training camp.  No pads and no hitting during the season.  So Becton, Mims, Davis, Perine, Morgan, Clark, Hall and Mann have not yet practiced in pads with hitting as professionals.  Their only experience was during games.  Unlike regular season games, practice take place six days per week and players in those practices are trying to earn roster spots, playing time and starting jobs.  It is a grind for all players and the crucible that Saleh keeps talking about.  This year last year's class will practice under sustained real game conditions for the first time.  That sharpens the knife and provides young players with experience against fellow professionals.  Robbing last year's rookies of training camp made the steep climb into a starting job all the more steeper.  

I think that the daily grind will produce some surprises from last year's class.  So much has changed.  There are new systems on offense and defense.  There is a large incoming class of free agents and another incoming class of rookies on whom much as been written.  There is a full training camps.  It means that all of last year's rookies are new again.      

So , what you're saying is , that we are going to suck again .

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

When you think about it, it’ll be like everyone is a rookie this year…. And while this is framed as sarcasm, it really is a consideration. This will be the first true pre-season that any JD draft picks get.

Whew, what a relief! Thought I might have to read that. Good looking out cuz!

On 6/25/2021 at 5:56 PM, clayton163v said:

Except… there was a training camp in 2020…

sorry you put so much work/thought into fake news … ???‍♂️

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/what-have-we-learned-in-the-first-week-of-jets-training-camp

8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Umm there WAS a training camp, but no offseason or preseason games. That said the premise is still largely true

I was reading it… starting to buy in… and then I was like… WTF there was a training camp this is crazy talk ? 

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Bold take it.  I like it.  Don't agree at all; I think he's much closer to getting cut than leading the Jets in anything.  But like the boldness.

I too think Perine has a greater chance of being cut then leading the team in rushing, that being said he showed explosiveness in TC and then got hurt.  Watching QW's leap in his second year, having an injury like an ankle or hamstring can really kill almost an entire season.  These guys come back early and play the year at 80%, thats gonna lead to anyone not being very good. 

Perine being good give us 4 legitimate RBs which is a ton of depth

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I too think Perine has a greater chance of being cut then leading the team in rushing, that being said he showed explosiveness in TC and then got hurt.  Watching QW's leap in his second year, having an injury like an ankle or hamstring can really kill almost an entire season.  These guys come back early and play the year at 80%, thats gonna lead to anyone not being very good. 

Perine being good give us 4 legitimate RBs which is a ton of depth

I would absolutely love for Perine to show something, as I think that pick so far is one of Douglas' most glaring blunders otherwise.  That said, they kind of "recruited over" him at this point so I'm not sure who he passes on the depth chart.  MAYBE Ty Johnson?  

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I would absolutely love for Perine to show something, as I think that pick so far is one of Douglas' most glaring blunders otherwise.  That said, they kind of "recruited over" him at this point so I'm not sure who he passes on the depth chart.  MAYBE Ty Johnson?  

Ty Johnson > Peerine

11 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Unless we carry 4 backs, I would say he doesn't  make the team. It will be Coleman, Carter, and Johnson

I think they carry four, but that still puts Perine in a battle with Adams and any other teams’ training camp cut they might like better.