2022 New York Yankees

Maxman

26 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Also, I’m a bit worried about the offense being too home run-reliant, again. I watch the Dodgers every now and then and they rip through teams with base hits. Constant pressure on the opposing pitchers. Even the Mets last night scored 7 runs in an inning with only singles and doubles. I’d like to see the Yankees hit a little more for average instead of relying on Judge, Rizzo, and Stanton to hit three home runs a game.

I remember O'Neill calling homeruns rally killers. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I remember O'Neill calling homeruns rally killers. 

Oddly it is.   There's no more pressure on the pitcher, it's over, no one on base to hold on.

Also, HR hitters go in streaks, with as long as the playoffs are now, they will hit a cold spell.   On base teams, extra base teams, teams that can run are much more consistent.

Last night.   Men on the corners, Andujar steals 2nd, forcing a throw.   The throw gets away, and the Yanks 2nd run is able to walk home for the 2-0 lead.

Stealing bases is good.  Putting pressure on the other team is good.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, chirorob said:

Last night.   Men on the corners, Andujar steals 2nd, forcing a throw.   The throw gets away, and the Yanks 2nd run is able to walk home for the 2-0 lead.

Stealing bases is good.  Putting pressure on the other team is good.

Its time to put Donaldson on the bench and give Andujar the second shot he deserves. Sure he's not as good in the field but he hit for average and power in his rookie year and I'm not sure we are going to get much else from an obviously aging Donaldson. I'm still not happy with getting rid of Urshela for a 37 year old guy but lets not waste Andujar's talent

• Upvote 1

I think Donaldson and Gallo are there for their gloves.  I think you guys are underestimating the fielding.  Urshela was great also, but with Rizzo and ICF?  Part of the pitching holding up is the fielding.  They gave away too many runs recently, particularly with Sanchez.  Last night they pulled Adujar for a glove in LF and those knuckleheads let the ball drop for what would have been the 3rd out. 

Part of me still thinks that Hicks will bounce back, but he just seems disinterested.  Very frustrating.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Its time to put Donaldson on the bench and give Andujar the second shot he deserves. Sure he's not as good in the field but he hit for average and power in his rookie year and I'm not sure we are going to get much else from an obviously aging Donaldson. I'm still not happy with getting rid of Urshela for a 37 year old guy but lets not waste Andujar's talent

Andujar wasn't the best third baseman.  I'd be happy, leave him in left field every day, Gallo sucks more than Donaldson.   Either way, leave him out there, every day, for a month and see what happens.

17 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think Donaldson and Gallo are there for their gloves.  I think you guys are underestimating the fielding.  Urshela was great also, but with Rizzo and ICF?  Part of the pitching holding up is the fielding.  They gave away too many runs recently, particularly with Sanchez.  Last night they pulled Adujar for a glove in LF and those knuckleheads let the ball drop for what would have been the 3rd out. 

Part of me still thinks that Hicks will bounce back, but he just seems disinterested.  Very frustrating.

Hey Dom I agree the gloves on the (edit) left side side do make a difference but I have my worries vs really good starting pitching in the playoffs. The Yanks as good as they their record is still struggle vs top end pitching . In the playoffs its all about squeaking out a run late in a game to tie or secure a win and this team relies way too much on the homerun and that's not going to get it done.

Hicks started off like he was going to go wild this year then fell off a cliff he does not have the same swing he used to have something looks different and I'm not sure what it is but his bat speed has diminished and he always seems to get behind in the count and is not as aggressive  as he used to be early in at bats .

There are moves to be made at the break and wile it may be hard or impossible to get a great lead off hitter who can consistently set the table and be a catalyst for this offense I think that's what we need to be able to compete in the playoffs in tight games.

12 hours ago, chirorob said:

Andujar wasn't the best third baseman.  I'd be happy, leave him in left field every day, Gallo sucks more than Donaldson.   Either way, leave him out there, every day, for a month and see what happens.

Andujar is a terrible outfielder is he's going to play everyday its has to be at third I would think

On 5/26/2022 at 2:14 PM, Smashmouth said:

Adujar cant play 3rd base. Just cant. He's atrocious. 

Now if you want to put Andujar in LF over Gallo? Sure. But also be prepared for Andujar to make mistakes out there too.

These swings by Gallo and Hicks are laughingly bad. They both need to go.

Cashman needs to make a move ASAP. You cant have 2 of your starting outfielders hitting .180 and expect this team to finish in 1st place. 

There has to be something in the minors available or via trade. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barton said:

Cashman needs to make a move ASAP. You cant have 2 of your starting outfielders hitting .180 and expect this team to finish in 1st place. 

If it isn't on a tee, Gallo can't hit it.   He can't hit anything up in the zone, he can't hit anything down in the zone.  Unless a pitcher really hangs one, he isn't going to hit it.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Barton said:

Two crucial positions. They are stuck with Hicks. He is even bad defensively now, not taking charge - letting balls drop. Making infielders make catches that he should make.

Brett Gardner would be better at this point. I keep hoping Andujar gets hot and takes the LF job but I don't see it happening.

14 hours ago, Barton said:

Adujar cant play 3rd base. Just cant. He's atrocious. 

Now if you want to put Andujar in LF over Gallo? Sure. But also be prepared for Andujar to make mistakes out there too.

Read this after I quoted your last post. Agreed.

• Upvote 1

Lets see if Hal/Cashman are full of crap or not at the trade deadline.

The pithing has been championship level but the lineup just needs to swap out a couple guys/make some additions.

Will they try to improve the team or just sit pat?

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Barton said:

Lets see if Hal/Cashman are full of crap or not at the trade deadline.

The pithing has been championship level but the lineup just needs to swap out a couple guys/make some additions.

Will they try to improve the team or just sit pat?

I'm curious if Andjuar can actually hit or not.

Hicks is done, I would still bring up Florial, let him play everyday.   If he can do it, great.   If not, get another OF who can actually hit.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

Trevino needs to be the starting catcher. Higashioka is not major league material. 

They are definitely trending that way.   Higgy should catch 50-60 games a year, Trevino 100-110.   He has become a much better hitter, and is excellent at calling a game.

• Upvote 2

On 5/29/2022 at 10:42 PM, Maxman said:

Two crucial positions. They are stuck with Hicks. He is even bad defensively now, not taking charge - letting balls drop. Making infielders make catches that he should make.

Brett Gardner would be better at this point. I keep hoping Andujar gets hot and takes the LF job but I don't see it happening.

Problem with the Yankees is 2 fold.... 1. They never give players a chance to actually get hot and 2. When they do get hot they rest them. When a player is red hot he's not leaving the line up IMHO . In the case of Higgy numerous times he was swinging a hot bat and was either removed from the line up in favor of Garbage ass Sanchez or in the case of this year he was never really given a good chance as the Yankees from day 1 took him out for pinch hitters even after his red hot Spring where he hit 7 Home runs. No doubt he started off the season in a terrible slump but that happens to everyone at one point or another so it comes down too either you give him the chance or you don't. Max its the same with Andujar who is now losing at bats to ******* Matt Carpenter ...Andujar had one of the best rookie years and then had to deal with injuries now that he's back he's really not getting a chance while we give 37 and 38 year old Donaldson and Carpenter at bats. 

On 6/12/2022 at 2:05 PM, Smashmouth said:

Problem with the Yankees is 2 fold.... 1. They never give players a chance to actually get hot and 2. When they do get hot they rest them. When a player is red hot he's not leaving the line up IMHO . In the case of Higgy numerous times he was swinging a hot bat and was either removed from the line up in favor of Garbage ass Sanchez or in the case of this year he was never really given a good chance as the Yankees from day 1 took him out for pinch hitters even after his red hot Spring where he hit 7 Home runs. No doubt he started off the season in a terrible slump but that happens to everyone at one point or another so it comes down too either you give him the chance or you don't. Max its the same with Andujar who is now losing at bats to ******* Matt Carpenter ...Andujar had one of the best rookie years and then had to deal with injuries now that he's back he's really not getting a chance while we give 37 and 38 year old Donaldson and Carpenter at bats. 

Well Higgy hit two home runs and all carpenter does is hit home runs lol.

Andujar is sad, I had so much hope for him.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

Well Higgy hit two home runs and all carpenter does is hit home runs lol.

Andujar is sad, I had so much hope for him.

Yeah Andujar is a good hitter and Carpenter is not going to keep up this pace I would love to see the Yankees fill some holes with the kids in the farm system rather than late 30's guys like Carpenter who never did much in the first place. 

4 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Yeah Andujar is a good hitter and Carpenter is not going to keep up this pace I would love to see the Yankees fill some holes with the kids in the farm system rather than late 30's guys like Carpenter who never did much in the first place. 

Definitely. I think outfield depth isn't an area they are ready for in the minors though. Florial is starting to hit at AAA which is very encouraging. Not a fan of Carpenter but it is fun to watch.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Definitely. I think outfield depth isn't an area they are ready for in the minors though. Florial is starting to hit at AAA which is very encouraging. Not a fan of Carpenter but it is fun to watch.

Florial is hitting close to 300 and is 24 years old.   If you aren't going to bring him up now, then do the kids a favor and trade him.  I said weeks ago, bring him up, let him play every day and see what he can do.  Let him play center, where he is excellent, and let Judge play right, to take a little wear and tear off of his legs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Another day another win. Going for most wins of all time this year!

The Yankees have a 5 game lead over the team with the 2nd best record in baseball right now (Mets).

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, chirorob said:

Florial is hitting close to 300 and is 24 years old.   If you aren't going to bring him up now, then do the kids a favor and trade him.  I said weeks ago, bring him up, let him play every day and see what he can do.  Let him play center, where he is excellent, and let Judge play right, to take a little wear and tear off of his legs.

I am rooting for the kid but he is at .291 after his hot streak but still has 58 strike outs in 195 at bats. No need to trade him unless they can get value back. But his stock has dropped for sure.

I would like to see him on the major league roster right now though. But I think they want him to have more success at AAA first.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You guys sure picked the perfect time to complain about Carpenter.  Seems kind of ridiculous to rip the GMing at this point.  Yes, it is early. Yes, everything has been going well, but c'mon.  You really don't have anything to complain about.

Cashman is the executive of the year right now. Boone is the coach of the year and as good as they are doing, Blake is having a better year with the pitching staff.

In 2009 Blake started his coaching career as a high school pitching coach. Wow. 

What the Yankees staff is doing now is amazing.

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

I am rooting for the kid but he is at .291 after his hot streak but still has 58 strike outs in 195 at bats. No need to trade him unless they can get value back. But his stock has dropped for sure.

I would like to see him on the major league roster right now though. But I think they want him to have more success at AAA first.

Can he hit better than Hicks?

Cause he can run, catch and throw better.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Simple question.  Wasn't the excuse for benching Sanchez when Cole pitched that Tapioca was his high school buddy and they were just more comfortable?  As far as I can tell, Trevino always catches Cole and I think it started when he was still ostensibly the back-up.

Sanchez was terrible at calling plays.   "Tapioca" is better than Sanchez.     Trevino is better than the pudding monster.

Gary has more power, but even this year he's only hitting 215ish, and I don't know how much he is catching as compared to being the DH.

• Upvote 1