2022 New York Yankees

Maxman

Recent thoughts:

1. Kudos to Cashman for getting Benintendi. Exactly what they needed. I'd bat him in the top 3 of the lineup, without question.

2. Losing out on Luis Castillo stinks. But I agree in not trading Volpe in that package. Elite SS prospects are a different breed from any other positional player. Hopefully Volpe pans out. Maybe adding additional prospects to a Peraza package would have worked? Who knows....

3. Another high end starter is needed but it seems like only tier 2 kinda guys are available now: Skubal, Syndergaard, Montas.

4. Bullpen arms are needed. Nobody knows what Chapman or Loaisiaga will do. Clarke Schmidt can pitch, as a starter or reliever. 

5. I really like Kiner's bat. He's gotten so many clutch hits with RISP. But he is not a good shortstop. He's very stiff. Everytime he throws the ball to 1st base I hold my breath. He's a liability out there defensively. If Donaldson doesnt have a good 2nd half, then next year I would get rid of Donaldson and put Kiner back at 3B where he won a gold glove. I'd even consider doing that now and bringing up 1 of the kid SS prospects. 

6. Cole needs to show some more balls. He's blown leads in his last few starts to piss poor teams. Reds, Royals, Orioles. Cmon man. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Barton said:

Recent thoughts:

1. Kudos to Cashman for getting Benintendi. Exactly what they needed. I'd bat him in the top 3 of the lineup, without question.

2. Losing out on Luis Castillo stinks. But I agree in not trading Volpe in that package. Elite SS prospects are a different breed from any other positional player. Hopefully Volpe pans out. Maybe adding additional prospects to a Peraza package would have worked? Who knows....

3. Another high end starter is needed but it seems like only tier 2 kinda guys are available now: Skubal, Syndergaard, Montas.

4. Bullpen arms are needed. Nobody knows what Chapman or Loaisiaga will do. Clarke Schmidt can pitch, as a starter or reliever. 

5. I really like Kiner's bat. He's gotten so many clutch hits with RISP. But he is not a good shortstop. He's very stiff. Everytime he throws the ball to 1st base I hold my breath. He's a liability out there defensively. If Donaldson doesnt have a good 2nd half, then next year I would get rid of Donaldson and put Kiner back at 3B where he won a gold glove. I'd even consider doing that now and bringing up 1 of the kid SS prospects. 

6. Cole needs to show some more balls. He's blown leads in his last few starts to piss poor teams. Reds, Royals, Orioles. Cmon man. 

Ohtani is the target.

1 hour ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Still think we could use another bat. 

Soto!! **** it!!! 

Nice little deadline for Cashman. Upgraded the lineup, rotation, and bullpen while holding onto most of the top prospects. Still think we make one more move. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Barton said:

Cashman targeted the right areas, thats for sure. Time will tell how these trades pan out.

Cant help but think he could have upped his offer and gotten Luis Castillo though. That was a miss, I think. 

MLB surmised that Montras was the target all along because of how he’s pitched vs Astros. Supposedly has 2.2 ERA vs them, and Yanks know they will have to beat Astros to get to WS.

31 minutes ago, Barton said:

Super risky move to trade Montgomery. 

Seems alittle odd that a few days after he yells at Boone in front of the entire baseball world when Boone comes in to pull him vs the Mets -- he gets traded.

Not a coincidence, IMO. 

You may be right.  I use to tell my son that he was nothing more than a 5 inning pitcher...BUT, never in a million years did I think he would be traded.  And for an injured player on top of that...strange.

Liked the benintendi move but these last 2 giving up 4 prospects including JP sears ( who did nothing but pitch lights out when he was called up) are ridiculous. Now we trade Monty for this scrub Bader who wont play until september and has a 246 life time average and has never played a full season . Cashman is going to destroy the chemistry that helped this team get to this stage once again this idiot is going to try and patch this team with bums by trading prospects because he refuses to spend for an elite player.

11 hours ago, Barton said:

Super risky move to trade Montgomery. 

Seems alittle odd that a few days after he yells at Boone in front of the entire baseball world when Boone comes in to pull him vs the Mets -- he gets traded.

Not a coincidence, IMO. 

It doesn’t help that his last few starts weren’t very good. 

15 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

It doesn’t help that his last few starts weren’t very good. 

Nobody has been good.

And aside from Cole, Montgomery was the only guy in the rotation NOT on an innings limit this year.

Side note: Huge screw up by the Yankees not to pony up the extra dollars and sign Verlander this past offseason. God forbid the Yankees go over some little cap threshold for silver spoon Hal. Instead they are paying 60 mill to guys like Hicks, Donaldson, Britton and Chapman. And this was after the Yankees passed on him at the 2017 trade deadline too. Jesus. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Liked the benintendi move but these last 2 giving up 4 prospects including JP sears ( who did nothing but pitch lights out when he was called up) are ridiculous. Now we trade Monty for this scrub Bader who wont play until september and has a 246 life time average and has never played a full season . Cashman is going to destroy the chemistry that helped this team get to this stage once again this idiot is going to try and patch this team with bums by trading prospects because he refuses to spend for an elite player.

I hated the Montgomery trade. Along with the fact that the starting pitching is starting to show signs of wear and tear, they could have just promoted Florial if they wanted a CF. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I was sure they'd move Hicks, how many out fielders do they have now?  Judge, Stanton, Hicks, Carpenter, Bader, Benintendi.  

You have an IF that is also overcrowded with Rizzo, Torres, IKF, Donaldson and DJ.   I guess come playoffs you'll have a deep team, but who is going to sit?

And, you traded a starting pitcher with a good ERA for 2 seasons for a defensive CF with a bad foot who won't play for a month.  WTF is that.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

No way the Yankees shouldn’t have been able to offer a better package for Soto. Very disappointing to lose out to SD. 

If the pitching doesn't improve, it won't matter.

Also, if you trade for Soto, you are telling the whole team you are moving away from the guy who is carrying your team this year in Judge.  That can backfire.

39 minutes ago, chirorob said:

If the pitching doesn't improve, it won't matter.

Also, if you trade for Soto, you are telling the whole team you are moving away from the guy who is carrying your team this year in Judge.  That can backfire.

Not necessarily. Soto still has two years left on his deal. You sign Judge in the off-season and then trade Soto or find a way to fit him in down the line. 

I’m going to echo everyone with the WTF sentiment regarding the Montgomery trade. I really don’t like it. 

Jack Curry said the Yankees don’t see Montgomery in their rotation at all in the playoffs, so they went for an elite defender. Two problems. The elite defender (in an already overcrowded outfield) is in a walking boot for the foreseeable future, and the rotation has been crumbling. I think Montgomery was a good insurance policy. Shrug. 

• Upvote 1