2022 New York Yankees

Maxman

Rizzo with a 3 HR game.

Severino has looked good so far, he was coasting through 5, then gave up the 3 run HR.

Our new SS hitting just under 300, meanwhile Gary Sanchez is hitting a robust 216 with 1 home run, being used more as a DH than catching.

Oh, and I don't care if Gallo hit a HR, he still sucks.

• Haha 1

On 4/24/2022 at 12:54 AM, Smashmouth said:

This is baseball, players have slumps. Sanchez is the worst defensive catcher in all of baseball and was hitting around .200 . Higgy will get his hitting straight but he can't do that if they keep handling him the way they are. Let him play some consecutive games and stop pinch hitting for him because he's in a bit of a slump he will play out of it. They did the same bullsh*t to him last year when he started getting hot they would break his streak by not giving him consistent starts. 

The Yankees should have started the season with Volpe at Short ...Falefa could be a very good utility player and pinch runner late in games. 

Cashman mismanages this team every year and has built a line up based off homer or strike out. They will feast on crappy pitching may win enough games to make the playoffs if they're lucky then get schooled in the playoffs when they actually have to face real pitching. 

The Yankees have not scored more than 6 runs this season have been shut out 3 times and scored 1 run in another game . They are horrid and will be in the bottom 5 in all of major league baseball in AVG, RBI's, Runs Scored, and strike outs. This team has no clue how to hit behind runners to advance them into scoring position and they have no clue how to manufacture a run. 

What metric do you have to support the statement that Gary was the worst defensive catcher in baseball?  Because there’s plenty of metrics showing he was a top 5 offensive catcher the past 6 years

I like having a catcher who isn’t a black hole in the lineup. 

1 hour ago, Dwight Englewood said:

What metric do you have to support the statement that Gary was the worst defensive catcher in baseball?  Because there’s plenty of metrics showing he was a top 5 offensive catcher the past 6 years

Metrics ? Honestly I couldn't care less about metrics I watched the guy play for years and he stunk behind the plate. And as for his hitting he feasted on the garbage pitchers and failed miserably in the clutch vs good pitching like you normally face in the playoffs. The guy has a .230 lifetime average and the last 3 years .147 .204 .216 ...the guy had one good year in 2017 and then fell off a cliff . If he would have been a consistent hitter maybe you can live with him as an everyday catcher but in the playoffs in the 9th inning with a guy on third and a tie score I do not want Gary Sanchez anywhere near home plate when pitchers have to trust you can dig one out of the dirt for them or block one in the dirt as well. As for his playoff numbers as a hitter he was the black hole you're talking about with a .171 average he was terrible . 

If the Yankees stop dicking around with Higgy and let him get some consecutive starts he will begin to hit he showed he.s got some pop this ST with 7 Homeruns in 12 games its still early in the season and I can guarantee you once he starts swinging the bat he wont be below 200 like Sanchez.

Sanchez, Torres are the same kind of crap once the league figured them out the numbers  plummeted . Neither guy ever adapted and its pretty obvious

On 4/27/2022 at 8:01 AM, chirorob said:

Rizzo with a 3 HR game.

Severino has looked good so far, he was coasting through 5, then gave up the 3 run HR.

Our new SS hitting just under 300, meanwhile Gary Sanchez is hitting a robust 216 with 1 home run, being used more as a DH than catching.

Oh, and I don't care if Gallo hit a HR, he still sucks.

Gallo is a horror show at least he can play the field . I wonder WTF hitting coaches are for because this guy refuses to take a little off his swing and hit the ball where its pitched. He has a good eye but somehow that does not translate to how he swings the bat.

1 hour ago, Dwight Englewood said:

Just for starters, he led the league in passes balls 3 times.

But hey, he also slugged under 400, and had an OBP under 300 more than once.

Sanchez.JPG

Sanchez.JPG

• Upvote 1

On 4/28/2022 at 1:43 PM, Dwight Englewood said:

He was tied with 5 other catchers lol

try again

So all 5 sucked and this gives Sanchez a pass ? 

As for your take on Volpe I told ya this early in the season 1 or 2 games can totally turn your average around . A lot of players start off slow its not something that should be referred too in the game of baseball where players are lucky these days to get 3 hits in 10 AB's . Hitting for average is the worst its been in many years. If this is the direction coaching is pushing along with power it wont get better. In the past few years I have witnessed some of the worst baseball I have ever seen .

April 29: Volpe starting to get hot
Volpe has now turned in three straight solid games after struggling out of the gate. After back-to-back multi hit efforts, Volpe went 1-for-2 with a single, run scored and a pair of walks during Double-A Somerset's 7-1 win against Portland. The 20-year-old shortstop is now 5-for-9 over his last three games, upping his batting average from .151 to .210 in the process.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

So all 5 sucked and this gives Sanchez a pass ? 

As for your take on Volpe I told ya this early in the season 1 or 2 games can totally turn your average around . A lot of players start off slow its not something that should be referred too in the game of baseball where players are lucky these days to get 3 hits in 10 AB's . Hitting for average is the worst its been in many years. If this is the direction coaching is pushing along with power it wont get better. In the past few years I have witnessed some of the worst baseball I have ever seen .

April 29: Volpe starting to get hot
Volpe has now turned in three straight solid games after struggling out of the gate. After back-to-back multi hit efforts, Volpe went 1-for-2 with a single, run scored and a pair of walks during Double-A Somerset's 7-1 win against Portland. The 20-year-old shortstop is now 5-for-9 over his last three games, upping his batting average from .151 to .210 in the process.

Well if you are unequivocally declaring Sanchez to be the “worst defensive catcher in baseball” and have no actual evidence of that then yes

Mike Piazza was a way worse defensive catcher.  Posada his last couple seasons was worse

14 hours ago, maury77 said:

You guys sound pretty grumpy considering the Yankees have the best record in the AL (for now)

I don't think anyone questions the Yankees will be a very good regular season team its the playoffs that worry me. They can not hit good pitching and they can not manufacture a run when one is desparately needed . 2 traits the late 90's Yankees teams thrived on. 

What the Yankees do have right now is a very solid pitching staff and some very good emerging relievers and thats great but we still lack players that can hit for average and a real lead off hitter who can set the table. if we can get that things would be different .

I love the Yankees but I understand their limitations and Im not going to sugar coat just because I root for them .... I only do that with my beloved JETS :)

BTW its the best record in baseball ?

• Upvote 2

On 5/1/2022 at 8:38 AM, Dwight Englewood said:

Now that Gallo is injured why not sign Gardner to a cheap deal to play LF?  Does it all have to be about the home run?

I like that they brought up Andujar to see what he can do.   When he was healthy he had a very good approach at the plate.   If he can play a passable LF and hit like that again, it's all good.

Besides, they are saving Gardner for when Hicks re strains his everything.

• Upvote 2

On 5/4/2022 at 9:55 AM, chirorob said:

I like that they brought up Andujar to see what he can do.   When he was healthy he had a very good approach at the plate.   If he can play a passable LF and hit like that again, it's all good.

Besides, they are saving Gardner for when Hicks re strains his everything.

Feel bad for Andujar. He was excellent as a rookie and only lost 3B due to injury and Urshela coming in and being so good

• Upvote 1

For a team that makes the playoffs about 90 % of the time its all about the playoffs. No matter how good this team is currently playing or even if they win 120 games that still does not translate to a good playoff team in a series. They finally got the pitching staff going and they are playing great but we still do not have the contact hitters needed to get big runs and big hits late in games vs top end pitching. When this team faces top pitching there are more strikeouts than hits or even contact in general.

In the playoffs when you have to face a teams ACE possibly 3 times in a series you better be able to manufacture a run and this team has no clue how to do that nor are they even coached that way since this Metric driven organization has valued the homerun over the contact hitter for years . While we have come close in some series in the playoffs in recent years it always seems to come down to our big hitters constantly being shut down in big moments. When we need to produce a run Hitting behind runners, moving runners into scoring position the Yankees choose to let it all hang on the Home Run and it never works . So maybe the Yankees will win there 100 games but they are not designed to win a playoff series vs a team that can actually make contact  and throw 3 really good pitchers at you in a 7 game series.

24 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

For a team that makes the playoffs about 90 % of the time its all about the playoffs. No matter how good this team is currently playing or even if they win 120 games that still does not translate to a good playoff team in a series. They finally got the pitching staff going and they are playing great but we still do not have the contact hitters needed to get big runs and big hits late in games vs top end pitching. When this team faces top pitching there are more strikeouts than hits or even contact in general.

In the playoffs when you have to face a teams ACE possibly 3 times in a series you better be able to manufacture a run and this team has no clue how to do that nor are they even coached that way since this Metric driven organization has valued the homerun over the contact hitter for years . While we have come close in some series in the playoffs in recent years it always seems to come down to our big hitters constantly being shut down in big moments. When we need to produce a run Hitting behind runners, moving runners into scoring position the Yankees choose to let it all hang on the Home Run and it never works . So maybe the Yankees will win there 100 games but they are not designed to win a playoff series vs a team that can actually make contact  and throw 3 really good pitchers at you in a 7 game series.

Eh.  They pitch like this it is not going to matter.  I get your concerns, but you simply cannot argue with the results.  I think with Torres off to a slow start and Hicks looking out of place after the layoff there is reason to think they will improve.  Most of the time I heard people whining during the offseason it was that they needed another starting pitcher.  Not hearing much of that now.  Besides, won't they look much better when they outlaw the shift? 

7 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Eh.  They pitch like this it is not going to matter.  I get your concerns, but you simply cannot argue with the results.  I think with Torres off to a slow start and Hicks looking out of place after the layoff there is reason to think they will improve.  Most of the time I heard people whining during the offseason it was that they needed another starting pitcher.  Not hearing much of that now.  Besides, won't they look much better when they outlaw the shift? 

Well you're not hearing much of that now because we finally got a bit lucky in the starting pitching with Nestor Cortez.... Monty living up to his potential... and finally getting Sevi back .... Cortez is amazing and it seems like its taking longer for teams to figure him out and there is the chance they never will. :) Green and King are awesome in the BP and everything is clicking not worried here at all and i wasn't last year either.

When it comes to hitting we really need some contact hitters early in the lineup we also need a true leadoff hitter I just don't see us winning games late in a playoff series or late in a game facing top Pens we are just not built that way like the late 90's Yankees teams you could always count on to scratch out a win late because they played the game the way this current team just can't. 

Is there talk of outlawing the shift or are you just messing with me ? If there is how can they pull that off ?

Not to be a debbie downer because this team is winning games but the pitching being this dominant all year wont continue. Its not realistic.

My point? Lineup is not consistent. Need to replace Hicks/Gallo with high end contact hitters who can also get on base at a decent clip. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/14/2022 at 10:20 PM, PS17 said:

Elite bullpen, mediocre closer. Sick of Chapman. He cannot be closer in October (or now?)

I think it'll be more a closer by committee approach as the season goes.

I know Gallo hit one yesterday, but it was just groved.   If a pitcher locates, he is an easy out.

On 5/15/2022 at 3:42 PM, Barton said:

Not to be a debbie downer because this team is winning games but the pitching being this dominant all year wont continue. Its not realistic.

My point? Lineup is not consistent. Need to replace Hicks/Gallo with high end contact hitters who can also get on base at a decent clip. 

16 hours ago, chirorob said:

I think it'll be more a closer by committee approach as the season goes.

I know Gallo hit one yesterday, but it was just groved.   If a pitcher locates, he is an easy out.

This pitching staff is as good as we have had since 98 only difference is no Mariano in the pen. 

Barton I agree 100 % we need at least a few contact hitters who can also hit for average and have a high OBP . If we can find a good leadoff hitter and a good hitter for average this lineup would be unstoppable. I was never a big fan of Judge Batting second. I know its based on getting him an extra at bat late in games but I think he belongs in the clean up spot or you can rotate him and Stanton in the 4 or 5 spot and Bat DJ 3rd where he belongs.

Watching the movement on Sevi's pitches tonight was fun his ball is moving in a big way more than I have ever seen his ball move. His resurgence along with Nestor is awesome to watch. Monty pitching really good needs some damn run support as does Nestor who should be 6-1 at this point . Hopefully Idiot Cashman can pull off a few trades at the break to get this team some needed contact hitters or as I have said before this team will struggle in playoff series because they do struggle hitting good pitching and can't manufacture a run late in games 

• Upvote 1

Fire Chapman into the sun. Jesus Christ. And Boone can **** off too. All of these great pitchers in the pen, King literally unhittable, and we bring in this erratic abuser? 

Decent win, but it should have never come to that in the 9th.