Two plays from first drive that could've been huge gains

AFJF

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

yes and no.  the receivers got open for gase too.  it's up to the qb to find them and then deliver.  i know a lot of people think the qb needs to make all of these reads.  i don't necessarily buy that.  if the offense is functioning right then only one read is needed and that on the primary guy for the particular play.  i doubt if brady or even matty ice scan the field that much.  they see the prime guy getting open and deliver the ball.  lafleur needs to call plays that can get wilson into a rythym and also influence the way the defense is scheming.

You are wrong. The great QBs scan the field on a significant percentage of plays. You can't rely on your primary target being open on every play or even most of them. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

There’s a huge difference between Wilson’s freshman and Junior film.  The game slowed down for him and he was able to control the game.

The same thing will happen here over the next three years or they’ll draft another quarterback.

I mean… it’s been 5 games. He should establish dominance by now

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I get he's a rookie, but these are glaring mistakes. So many QB's come into the  league now and can make these throws. If this kid had "it", this wouldn't be happening. I mean, sure, the OC sucks yet again, but he's part of the problem. Oh well. In 3 years Jets can take another shot at a QB. I'm not into false optimism anymore. 

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

You are wrong. The great QBs scan the field on a significant percentage of plays. You can't rely on your primary target being open on every play or even most of them. 

i don't think so.  i guess there can be outliers that can process the game so quickly but i think it's mostly scheming and knowing who will be open and when.  you look at brady or matty ice or even rodgers.  on the set plays they are throwing before the receiver breaks even on short passes.  they aren't scanning the rest of the field they look at their primary and if he's going to be open they throw the ball.

4 hours ago, section314 said:

When the coaching staff is beating it into your head every day for weeks that 4 yard passes are better than TD's, it's hard to adjust on the fly sometimes, I guess.?

Another interesting thing in the second video.  Look at the two WR's  to Davis' right. (Can't see their #'s, assume one is Crowder in the slot) When their routes end, they are a yard apart.  That should never happen that 2 WR's are so close together at the end.  Just brings more DB's to a small area.

I've noticed this many times looking at games on all 22.  WR's are bunched, and never seperate from one another.  Poor play design.  

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

I get he's a rookie, but these are glaring mistakes. So many QB's come into the  league now and can make these throws. If this kid had "it", this wouldn't be happening. I mean, sure, the OC sucks yet again, but he's part of the problem. Oh well. In 3 years Jets can take another shot at a QB. I'm not into false optimism anymore. 

The first four weeks people complained that he held the ball too long waiting g for these plays and needed to play boring. Now we are mad that he is t keeping his eyes downfield. Coming off the Titans game I am not sure how this could really be a concern right now

3 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Zach gets very locked in to Corey Davis early in games. He doesn't start throwing Cole's way until the 4th quarter. He's got to start spreading the ball around more.

To be fair, I did read a piece on the "Shanahan system" that said that it tends to encourage target hogging.  The article was in the context of the Jets not needing a TE just because Kittle got all those targets.  It explained that the system feeds a #1.  Kittle, Julio, Garcon, and Andre Johnson all got a huge share of targets.   sh*t, even Hawkins in Cleveland got a fairly huge share of the targets.  That might not be all on Zach.

16 minutes ago, Pichula said:

The first four weeks people complained that he held the ball too long waiting g for these plays and needed to play boring. Now we are mad that he is t keeping his eyes downfield. Coming off the Titans game I am not sure how this could really be a concern right now

Accuracy and the ability to read the field is always a concern. He doesn't seem good at either. The only good football he's played is freelanced a few broken plays into long gains. That's nice. Other than that, he's basically sucked. So, it's good the Jets drafted a QB with a nice arm who can improvise, a little. After that, his fundamentals kind of suck. #2 guy has to be more ready than this. Otherwise draft someone in the 20's and wait a few years. 

Neither of these plays are really all that concerning to me to be quite honest.

In the first one, Cole is Wilson's third read, and the rush is in his face at the moment he turns his head to the left.  He has no choice but to scramble outside the pocket to his right, by which time the safety is in position, and it's too late to make the throw.

In the second one, Davis is open, and it could have been a huge play, but that is a very difficult throw for Wilson to make across his body while moving to the left.  It would have been 40+ yards in the air and far from a gimme.  It was third down, and I have no problem with Wilson making the easier, safer throw for a first down to Crowder along the sideline.  He put it on the money, but unfortunately, Crowder dropped an easy catch.

Far more concerning to me are the throws that are consistently behind and generally off target.

Just now, thebuzzardman said:

Accuracy and the ability to read the field is always a concern. He doesn't seem good at either. The only good football he's played is freelanced a few broken plays into long gains. That's nice. Other than that, he's basically sucked. So, it's good the Jets drafted a QB with a nice arm who can improvise, a little. After that, his fundamentals kind of suck. #2 guy has to be more ready than this. Otherwise draft someone in the 20's and wait a few years. 

Both of the plays under discussion here are broken play opportunities 

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I pointed these out, they're giving him easy stuff early in the game, he just cant do it.  It's impossible to look good as a coordinator when your QB play is this bad.

The first play, he also has an easy little flip to Carter once the play broke down who has literally nobody around him when he started to scramble before he got back to the LOS.  For some stupid reason he decides he's going to tuck it, run and lower his shoulder to a LB'er.  

Any issues in college were intermittent and nothing compared to what we're seeing now.  If he'd been playing pop warner with these mechanics he wouldn't complete 70% of his passes the way he did at BYU.  

The fact that he's getting worse at a time that he should be showing growth is a huge red flag.

On 10/12/2021 at 2:28 PM, jetswinbaby! said:

Looking back, if I was immediately labeled a failure when I was a new driver, and in the back seat with my first girlfriend...

I would now be childless, celibate, and forced to Uber to get anywhere...

Give the kid some time...

You can always tell a lot about your girlfriend by the way she pours gasoline around your car..   while you're passed out in it. 

On 10/12/2021 at 9:55 AM, section314 said:

When the coaching staff is beating it into your head every day for weeks that 4 yard passes are better than TD's, it's hard to adjust on the fly sometimes, I guess.?

I would add to this,

Most of the fan base -

And, while I don't have the time to do it, I would bet Glen Naughton has a whole bunch of tweets out there complaining that ZW didn't take the check down when it was there and went for the big play.  

On 10/12/2021 at 11:28 AM, jetswinbaby! said:

Looking back, if I was immediately labeled a failure when I was a new driver, and in the back seat with my first girlfriend...

Ahh first time in the back seat, wistful memories of "John, that's my leg" in the dark.

On 10/12/2021 at 2:28 PM, jetswinbaby! said:

Working on your night moves...

On 10/12/2021 at 7:04 PM, flgreen said:

Another interesting thing in the second video.  Look at the two WR's  to Davis' right. (Can't see their #'s, assume one is Crowder in the slot) When their routes end, they are a yard apart.  That should never happen that 2 WR's are so close together at the end.  Just brings more DB's to a small area.

I've noticed this many times looking at games on all 22.  WR's are bunched, and never seperate from one another.  Poor play design.  

Noticed that too and shook my head.  They have the whole field to work with and we keep seeing multiple guys in a 3-5 yard space.