2022 New York Mets thread

Scott Dierking

8 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Gary brought this up and I find it interesting. Let’s say you start deGrom game 1 WC round and win, maybe you should start Bassit game 2, save Max for hopefully game 1 DS or if need be game 3 WC round. It’s not a bad idea if you get a victory game 1

Here it is better written 

https://nypost.com/2022/10/05/mets-considering-mlb-playoff-strategy-that-would-delay-jacob-degrom/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

14 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

sibqoshzzoqpsqbejnie.thumb.jpg.d404548dd67dfa9bc8b5fc40a7685b46.jpg

Fingers and toes crossed for a SUBWAY SERIES!

Let's go Mets!

The chart shows the biggest joke of the expanded playoff system. The Yankees may have to play Tampa, a team that finished 13 games behind them. And while I have no love for the Braves, they may have to play a Phillies team that finished 14 games behind both the Braves and Mets. I would love to see MLB get a Philadelphia v Seattle WS. There should only be one WC in each league. After 162 games, there should be no room for all these also rans. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

The chart shows the biggest joke of the expanded playoff system. The Yankees may have to play Tampa, a team that finished 13 games behind them. And while I have no love for the Braves, they may have to play a Phillies team that finished 14 games behind both the Braves and Mets. I would love to see MLB get a Philadelphia v Seattle WS. There should only be one WC in each league. After 162 games, there should be no room for all these also rans. 

How can you not root for the Mariners in the AL. So cool they made it.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, section314 said:

The 1 Wild Card system was not a good one either.  WC teams often went to the WS in that system. 

Giving 2 teams a bye is the only way to ensure you're giving an actual advantage to strong division winners.

38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The 1 Wild Card system was not a good one either.  WC teams often went to the WS in that system. 

Giving 2 teams a bye is the only way to ensure you're giving an actual advantage to strong division winners.

They should go to 4 divisions in each league, no WC’s , seed them 1-4, first round best of 5, second round best of 7. Then WS. You don’t play 162 games to let some 2 place team in.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, section314 said:

They should go to 4 divisions in each league, no WC’s , seed them 1-4, first round best of 5, second round best of 7. Then WS. You don’t play 162 games to let some 2 place team in.

I was thinking that 4 divisions in each might be the only solution to all that  But $$$ talks and they want more teams, more games, and more money so here we are.

Plus if you're in a really tough division it would suck to win 98 games but not make the postseason.  

Maybe 4 divisions and 2 WC's?  That could be the best of both worlds.  Top 2 strongest division winners still get byes and you at least mitigate the WC situation by only having 2 instead of 3.  

I wonder what the divisions would look like.  The NL would be almost impossible because its hard to break up the NL Central teams.  You would need to add 2 expansion teams in the south or southwest region of the country to make it work (Charlotte, Las Vegas, Nashville?). 

This is the best I could do:

• AL East:  Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, Blue Jays
  • AL South:  Rays, Astros, Rangers
  • AL Central:  White Sox, Guardians, Tigers, Royals
  • AL West:  Mariners, Angels, A's, Twins
  • NL East:  Mets, Phillies, Nationals, Brewers
  • NL South:  Marlins, Braves, Diamondbacks
  • NL Central:  Cardinals, Pirates, Reds, Cubs
  • NL West:  Dodgers, Padres, Giants, Rockies

With expansion:

• AL East:  Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, Blue Jays
  • AL South:  Rays, Astros, Rangers, Nashville/Charlotte/other
  • AL Central:  White Sox, Guardians, Tigers, Royals
  • AL West:  Mariners, Angels, A's, Twins
  • NL East:  Mets, Phillies, Nationals, Brewers
  • NL South:  Marlins, Braves, Diamondbacks, Las Vegas
  • NL Central:  Cardinals, Pirates, Reds, Cubs
  • NL West:  Dodgers, Padres, Giants, Rockies
  • Upvote 2

Well boys, it's playoff time!  Mad Max vs. Darvish.  Both Ace's have been a little shaky the past few starts.  I hate how deep the Padres pitching is  vs. a team who has bats known to go quiet but this is why you're paying Max all that money and the Padres are making an east coast trip.  He needs to give us an epic outing, 7/8 innings, get to Diaz w/ a lead.  I hoping that nice little warm up vs. the Nat's has the bats awake but you never know with this team. 

Weirdest feeling ever winning 101 games, heading into the post-season but it's time for the 2 HOF starters and the best closer in baseball to come through w/ the line up giving them just enough!

LFGM!!!!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Can’t root for the Yankees to win or be successful after being against them my whole life. So not for a Subway Series. 

The greatest path for the Mets would be to beat the Padres, Dodgers, Braves and then Yankees.  The "Revenge Tour" (starting with the Dodgers).

Mets were doomed once Marte got hurt. They totally fell off the cliff.  Then deGrom forgets how to pitch, Scherzer still dealing with a bad oblique, and they just don't have guys who hit for average other than punch n judy McNeil.  It was evident they were not going anywhere when the Braves beat them 3 out of 4 last month. It's been downhill from there.  Lot of BIG question marks for next year, especially with the starting pitching.  deGrom will be looking for a BIG payday.  He's just been so fragile over the last few years it's hard to fathom paying him.  And Scherzer, who is on contract, raises serious questions if he is the ace.  He's older and again, fragile.  It's pretty evident they desperately need a hitter who can hit for power and average and replace deGrom.  Hate to say it but how can you pay deGrom a big contract, say 120M over 3 years, with his recent medical issues.  He's just to much of a risk and he's not taking any discount. Someone will pay him but that money but it needs to go to a more reliable source.  Alvarado should become the everyday catcher next year and provide some much needed offense.  They'd still need some guys who can hit. The DH has just killed them this year. Cohen cant be a happy camper. And I really feel bad for Buck. We were cruising there in first half then it just went flat.  Big changes coming.

Ok there was an unexpected beat down on Scherzer tonight a guy whose been pretty great over the years in clutch games. But after that again a lack of hitting by Mets lineup even with Marte returning. One of the key failures was Alonso striking out in the first inning taking called strikes on pitches right over the plate in the first inning with runners in scoring position 1st and 3rd and one out. 

Way to demonstrate why we didn’t deserve the division guys, ugh.  Can’t be easy pitching when you know you probably won’t get run support so a shelling like this for Max was not all that hard to imagine.  

Now we need to use our “break glass in case of emergency” and use deGrom in Game 2.  Great. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Way to demonstrate why we didn’t deserve the division guys, ugh.  Can’t be easy pitching when you know you probably won’t get run support so a shelling like this for Max was not all that hard to imagine.  

Now we need to use our “break glass in case of emergency” and use deGrom in Game 2.  Great. 

Yep, worst case scenario and spells doom if they do manage to get out of this series.  They've just got big problems.  100 games is great but nobody fears the Mets line-up.  Phillies and Braves both have better rosters and much more primed to make a run than the Mets.  We're kind of ****ed, honestly.  This team has soooo many holes to fill after they're eliminated.  It's great we've got money but that doesnt mean sh*t.

Pretty confident this was one of those nice fun little regular seasons, early postseason exit, only to be followed by years of despair. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Yep, worst case scenario and spells doom if they do manage to get out of this series.  They've just got big problems.  100 games is great but nobody fears the Mets line-up.  Phillies and Braves both have better rosters and much more primed to make a run than the Mets.  We're kind of ****ed, honestly.  This team has soooo many holes to fill after they're eliminated.  It's great we've got money but that doesnt mean sh*t.

Pretty confident this was one of those nice fun little regular seasons, early postseason exit, only to be followed by years of despair. 

I'm feeling the same way.  Teams like the Braves have young players who step in right away and become stars while Met youngsters seem to struggle.  And you can't buy superstars all over the field.  

It's going to be a rough offseason if we lose this series.  A 101 win season that feels like a disaster?  Only the Mets.

The Mets plan was a one two with Scherzer and deGrom to avoid losing streaks and win important games and series. It worked partially.  But in spite of the Scherzer extreme salary these guys are human, got injured and now maybe the grind of a long season is getting to them. Neither guy is pitching lights out which was the plan. 

Baseball is my third favorite sport (behind NFL AND NCAA FB), but the Mets, by far, impact me the most on an emotional level, which is probably why I try to avoid engaging with baseball. The Jets lose and I find it kinda morbidly amusing. The Mets lose and it’s like a betrayal of faith.

• Upvote 2

MLB pitchers are amazing in terms of arm strength speed of pitches as high as 100 plus on a regular basis smarts and stuff. But I don’t remember the prevalence of arm injuries in the past when pitchers regularly pitched more innings. The number of pitchers back then weren’t throwing 100mph as I recall but they lasted longer. Now arm injuries like Tommy John are regular occurrences and pitchers often sit out entire seasons or more. There have been preventative measures like inning counts and limits, using starters fewer innings, more pitchers on a staff, sometimes using an entire staff not just a starter to complete a game. It’s a different philosophy on how to use a pitching staff. Maybe the answer is not throwing as hard for so long and at least looking back in the past to try to figure out how to prevent these arm injuries. Do non 100mph pitchers last longer?

35 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

MLB pitchers are amazing in terms of arm strength speed of pitches as high as 100 plus on a regular basis smarts and stuff. But I don’t remember the prevalence of arm injuries in the past when pitchers regularly pitched more innings. The number of pitchers back then weren’t throwing 100mph as I recall but they lasted longer. Now arm injuries like Tommy John are regular occurrences and pitchers often sit out entire seasons or more. There have been preventative measures like inning counts and limits, using starters fewer innings, more pitchers on a staff, sometimes using an entire staff not just a starter to complete a game. It’s a different philosophy on how to use a pitching staff. Maybe the answer is not throwing as hard for so long and at least looking back in the past to try to figure out how to prevent these arm injuries. Do non 100mph pitchers last longer?

It's a good question.  And it would help explain why pitchers can't go 9 anymore.  Though how are so many pitchers able to pitch in the high 90's low 100's now?  Is it analytics and better form?  If so, you'd think that maybe they're not throwing harder than they used to, but rather just using better form.  In which case, it would again re-raise the question of why can't starters go deep into games?

48 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I remember Tom Seaver used to swear by two things.1) mechanics 2) throwing regularly. His biggest complaint was these guys don’t throw enough. 

I think if you throw that hard for multiple pitches it isn’t going to help the health of your pitching arm. It’s an “unnatural movement.” Throwing 100mph plus. Position players mostly not getting throwing arm injuries many of their injuries have to do with running or twisting your body unnaturally like with hamstrings. So even with all of the study and science in modern sports now pitchers like Scherzer and deGrom great pitchers both have longevity problems. Should the training and development of pitchers on all levels drastically change. The big money is obviously directly related to arm strength and control. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

I think if you throw that hard for multiple pitches it isn’t going to help the health of your pitching arm. It’s an “unnatural movement.” Throwing 100mph plus. Position players mostly not getting throwing arm injuries many of their injuries have to do with running or twisting your body unnaturally like with hamstrings. So even with all of the study and science in modern sports now pitchers like Scherzer and deGrom great pitchers both have longevity problems. Should the training and development of pitchers on all levels drastically change. The big money is obviously directly related to arm strength and control. 

It's not just unnatural.  It's arguably the MOST unnatural motion for your arm.  Humans are built to throw things underhanded, which is why hard pitch softball pitchers can go for 14 innings without much issue despite high velocity numbers.

When you throw that hard you're pretty much trying to throw your arm out of its socket repeatedly.  It's no wonder at all these guys flame out. 

Maybe the Warren Spahn/Greg Maddux type of pitcher will make a comeback some day.  There are still a few guys like that around the league who've found some success (Greinke, Keuchel, Kyle Hendricks, Rich Hill, etc).  But it's rare and those guys of course tend to have a lower ceiling and rarely elevate to the point where you can trust them as your SP1.  It's still always a good idea to have at least one of those types in your rotation because they tend to stay healthier over the long run.