Bart Scott’s Zach Wilson rant

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

As they should have. 

As it is about the QB in Jax, Chicago and NE 

This is how football is played in the 2000's.  You draft a QB in the first, he usually starts and its all about him.  

Which is fine, but then don’t act surprised when the rest of the team goes to sh*t because they go into every game with zero chance to win because you’ve been fielding the worst QB in the sport while you have better options on the roster. Don’t be surprised when dudes starts lining up at the trainer’s room with soft tissue injuries after you told them this is how it’s going to be. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

As they should have. 

As it is about the QB in Jax, Chicago and NE 

This is how football is played in the 2000's.  You draft a QB in the first, he usually starts and its all about him.  

Fields didn't start.

Jax and NE at least made a show of a camp QB competition.

Zach was crowned the day he was drafted.

Study after study has shown that even small children value earned over unearned rewards.

• Upvote 4

Just now, T0mShane said:

Which is fine, but then don’t act surprised when the rest of the team goes to sh*t because they go into every game with zero chance to win because you’ve been fielding the worst QB in the sport while you have better options on the roster. Don’t be surprised when dudes starts lining up at the trainer’s room with soft tissue injuries after you told them this is how it’s going to be. 

I dont see how making the focus of the offense to developing the kid effects the D or DTs.  

Funny part is they don t go into the game with the worst QB in the league.  One of, yes.  But its Lawrence, then ZW, then Fields.  All closely bunched and yet still, all three teams are making it all about their young QBs while their teams lose games like the Jags lost to Houston.  Were destroyed.

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

Fields didn't start.

Chicago and NE at least made a show of a camp QB competition.

Study after study has shown that even small children value earned versus unearned rewards.

No one agreed with Nagee that he should start the year with Fields on the bench.  What did that last 2 whole games?

NE dumped Cam Newton in camp, the talk was Jones would start early in camp.  

Point is its all about the kid QBs with each of those teams, no matter how you slice it

No one crowned Zach the day he was drafted outside of fans and the media.  

• Haha 1

IDK, I think Zach is probably a bust, but yesterday the OL was bad the WRs couldn't get open. I felt like I was watching Sam year 2. He even made a Sam scramble play. 

Next week should be telling vs Jax. He needs to have a good game. It's his last chance this year to have one.

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If the fans and the media want to hang this season around Zach’s throat, keep in mind that it’s Saleh and Douglas who tied the knot. 

But when did the fans and media hanging a season around a rookie QB's throat start to make any sense?

It used to be that people generally agreed with giving a QB anywhere from 25-40 starts before burning him at the stake. Boy have times changed. 

• Upvote 1

Lost of people here are putting a lot of stock in fixing things in free agency. Fair to note that players go for the $ above all else. But if a player's choice comes down to relatively similar $ figures, another season of forcefeeding a lousy QB is going to be a deal breaker for veterans. This next 3 weeks is going to be a death march. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

IDK, I think Zach is probably a bust, but yesterday the OL was bad the WRs couldn't get open. I felt like I was watching Sam year 2. He even made a Sam scramble play. 

Next week should be telling vs Jax. He needs to have a good game. It's his last chance this year to have one.

OL was pretty good in the 1st half. Was it coaching and adjustments, or a QB that could not execute? 

8 minutes ago, Bugg said:

OL was pretty good in the 1st half. Was it coaching and adjustments, or a QB that could not execute? 

How many sacks did the Dolphins get yesterday? Pressures?

I saw a lot of missed assignments yesterday. Free runners everywhere.

Zach has not been good, but he didn't get much help yesterday.

27 minutes ago, jgb said:

Unlike "ancient" 26 year old Mike White who probably needed to be briefed to talk into the microphone after blowing up the Bengals.

Look we know they have had different treatment

this has nothing to do with his play... which has been below par as well

however there is now win for us in giving this kid a beat down right now

Mike White probably played his best game as a pro ever

2 minutes ago, sciond said:

Look we know they have had different treatment

Yes, Mike White set records, was exiled.

this has nothing to do with his play... which has been below par as well

Agreed.

however there is now win for us in giving this kid a beat down right now

It's a discussion board and we are discussing. There doesn't have to be a "win" beyond that.

Mike White probably played his best game as a pro ever

It was Mike White's only game as a pro ever.

11 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Was going to say the same thing - Mr. can't stop a noise bleed all over Zack but what about a defense that can't stop the run, outside pass or screen pass?

well no but no because he liked the defense.  his point was that the offense did very little, at least in the second half, to help the defense.  they got the ball first in the second half and they immediately go 3 and out.  maybe the first series doesn't matter as much as going 3 and out after giving up points but it kind of showed they didn't adjust at the half.  lafleur or whomever had to think about the changes the doltfins would make.  the jets just didn't counter them.  and neither did wilson.  it's possible that only wilson didn't adjust.

imo, scott was right.  he sees wilson bring his own coach in.  kind of means he doesn't have his big boy pants on.  and once they brought in beck, why do they have cavanaugh?  the qb needs to listen to only one person.

57 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

56 minutes ago, jgb said:

Fields didn't start.

Jax and NE at least made a show of a camp QB competition.

Study after study has shown that even small children value earned over unearned rewards.

They didnt even attempt to hide it.  They handed the reigns over to him day 1 and didnt even think he'd benefit from having a veteran to learn the ropes from and help prepare and show how to lead a group of professionals.  Every single player in the locker-room has witnessed this hand holding coddling and I guarantee you they see his flippant attitude toward his bad play and he's not winning anyone over in the process. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

They didnt even attempt to hide it.  They handed the reigns over to him day 1 and didnt even think he'd benefit from having a veteran to learn the ropes from and help prepare and show how to lead a group of professionals.  Every single player in the locker-room has witnessed this hand holding coddling and I guarantee you they see his flippant attitude toward his bad play and he's not winning anyone over in the process. 

JD's desperation trading for Flacco and bringing in a mid-season QB coach hopefully means he learned a valuable lesson. Better late than never.

I will wait to see what JD does with the QB room this off season before deciding whether to tune into Jets games in 2022.

9 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Which is insane because they knew he had these issues of entitlement at BYU, where the coaches had to intervene and give him a captaincy after his own teammates opted not to vote for him. It took an injury to another guy to free up a “C” in the first place. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

JD's desperation trading for Flacco and bringing in a mid-season QB coach hopefully means he learned a valuable less.

Better late, than never. I will wait to see what JD does with the QB room this off season before deciding whether to tune into Jets games in 2022.

They had to backpedal at midseason to bring both Flacco and John Beck in to triage their mishandling of Wilson. Pathetic.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jgb said:

JD's desperation trading for Flacco and bringing in a mid-season QB coach hopefully means he learned a valuable lesson. Better late than never.

I will wait to see what JD does with the QB room this off season before deciding whether to tune into Jets games in 2022.

Not just that but also bringing his personal QB coach mid-season.  It's over the top.  Players see it.  100%.  That's why they appreciated Mike White so much, they know the grind he's put in, nothing was given to him.  He's earned his stay in this league.  This sh*t matters in the locker-room. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Which is insane because they knew he had these issues of entitlement at BYU, where the coaches had to intervene and give him a captaincy after his own teammates opted not to vote for him. It took an injury to another guy to free up a “C” in the first place. 

100%, again, the way they rallied around White vs. Wilson is very telling.

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They had to backpedal at midseason to bring both Flacco and John Beck in to triage their mishandling of Wilson. Pathetic.

Ninja'd....anyone else get their personal coach added to the coaching staff mid-season?  Or nah?

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Not just that but also bringing his personal QB coach mid-season.  It's over the top.  Players see it.  100%.  That's why they appreciated Mike White so much, they know the grind he's put in, nothing was given to him.  He's earned his stay in this league.  This sh*t matters in the locker-room. 

I did mention the QB coach point in the quote you posted...

In any case, I agree.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Honestly, I just read your post wrong.  Skimmed it.  Thought it was expanding on Flacco, missed the "coach" part.

❤️

+100 internet points for agreeing to my post after only reading a few words. That is a heuristic that will serve you well here!

12 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I disagree that the defense is a bigger problem. Obviously the defense has been terrible and is a major concern. But I was pretty much expecting that.

If we could score more than 16 points a game and we were losing shootouts I’d be right there with you. But we’re not. The offense has been just as bad as the defense. ZW has thrown for 200 yards or less in half the games he has started. And he has twice as many interceptions as touchdowns. 

The development of ZW and the offense is a lot more important in the grand scheme of things IMO.

Duke Johnson had close to 160 yards rushing!!!!!  Duke Johnson !!!!!

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Even after the Tenn. game - his reaction to that game post game - was to attack Wilson and say he was terrible.  Not a single complementary comment in the post game - just attacks.  Go watch it.

Originally I was with you on this comment.  But that week I got to listen to Bart clarify what he was saying about the Tenn game.  His main gripe was ALL the plays that ZW made in that game were "off script" plays.  Yes, they look great on ESPN when they work.. but you cant be an NFL QB ONLY making off script plays.  You have to go through your reads and progressions.  Stay in the pocket.  Blah blah.  

Since his clarification that is literally ONE of the many things I pay attention to with ZW.  How fast does he bail out of the pocket.  Did he complete his reads? Did he give up too quick? etc.. 

ZW has gotten better with being a little more decisive but he has a bad habit of looking down one receiver - and if thats not there - he bails and runs around.  I dont see the head turning for progressions all the time. 

With that said, I think Bart was right that day about Tenn.