Tom Brady

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

Yeah but then Brady beat both Rodgers and Mahomes last year to win a super bowl in both games he was the underdog. So yeah that’s why he’s the GOAT

This is my point exactly. He didnt beat anyone.  His team did.  Brady threw 3 picks vs. GB in the championship game and the GB D still gave up 30+ points.  Brady didnt win the SB, his defense did.  They held the Chiefs to 9 points.  Chiefs D, gave up 30.  This is exactly my point.  Why does he get the credit?  He didnt win it, his D did.  I hope he gave Todd Bowles a nice handy for his efforts. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Team game.

And if it wasn’t for the worst choke of all time and the worst offensive play all of all time he’s got 5 losses. And the Tuck Rule was BS, that was a fumble, never should have been in that one. 

Oh now it’s a team game when those other guys can’t make it to 10 superbowls? Montana only made it to 4! And you’re calling him the GOAT?  Montana himself called Brady the GOAT lol

7FB14D8F-286A-484B-977E-3E9AF909911B.png

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Other than Sav, who else actually said this?  I don't think many, and definitely not anything close to a majority.

Straw man argument IMO.

Brother, you've been around long enough to know this position is support by tons of posters.  @Sperm Edwards one of the biggest supporters of this logic.  Watch, they'll start coming out. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

Oh now it’s a team game when those other guys can’t make it to 10 superbowls? Montana only made it to 4! And you’re calling him the GOAT?  Montana himself called Brady the GOAT lol

7FB14D8F-286A-484B-977E-3E9AF909911B.png

He’s being kind. Politically correct. He can’t call himself the GOAT. So he takes the high road. 

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

This is my point exactly. He didnt beat anyone.  His team did.  Brady threw 3 picks vs. GB in the championship game and the GB D still gave up 30+ points.  Brady didnt win the SB, his defense did.  They held the Chiefs to 9 points.  Chiefs D, gave up 30.  This is exactly my point.  Why does he get the credit?  He didnt win it, his D did.  I hope he gave Todd Bowles a nice handy for his efforts. 

Agree with this. 

Wins is a team stat. 

The problem with Brady is that he doesn't just have a lot of wins. He also has all of the individual accolades. 

5 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Brother, you've been around long enough to know this position is support by tons of posters.  @Sperm Edwards one of the biggest supporters of this logic.  Watch, they'll start coming out. 

I hope so, because I don't think "a ton" is accurate honestly.

A few loud voices, sure.  Like Sav, who showed up every time someone poster the word "Martin", lol (RIP brother, I miss ya!)

But anything more than 5% of the fanbase?  I doubt it honestly.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Other than Sav, who else actually said this?  I don't think many, and definitely not anything close to a majority.

Straw man argument IMO.

see, here you go

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Well, I've never diminished Curtis Martin. He was a terrific RB. BUT:

This isn't as good of a point as you think it is. Brady isn't just a compiler. He's also had record-breaking seasons in which he was the league MVP, Super Bowl MVP, threw 50 TD passes, etc. 

He's the rare guy who has BOTH complied stats over a long period of time AND dominated the sport for many individual seasons. 

Curtis Martin is 1 of 2 players in NFL history to start his career with 10 straight 1,000-yard rushing seasons.  The only other player to do it?  Barry Sanders. Curtis Martin won the rushing title in his 10th season in the league (the oldest player to win a rushing title).  He also won ROY, having one of the greatest debut seasons for a RB in the NFL history.  Records in his first season and a record in his last ever full season.  

But one is a compiler.  lol 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I hope so, because I don't think "a ton" is accurate honestly.

A few loud voices, sure.  Like Sav, who showed up every time someone poster the word "Martin", lol (RIP brother, I miss ya!)

But anything more than 5% of the fanbase?  I doubt it honestly.

I dont know man, I was typically the one battling for Martin and it always felt like I was in the minority.  

///what you want to bet some brings up the AFC Championship game? 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

Jordan still the GOAT out of every sport.  

This. In a sport where you play both ways (Brady does not play defense and he’s had some GREAT defenses) and can dominate in every aspect shooting scoring rebounding assists drive clutch intimidation the whole package.

It’s Jordan. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

who ya got

Wilt, Russel, Kareem, Bryant and of course LeBron all can lay claim to being the GOAT or being damn close to Jordan's equal.

Jordan, like Namath, carries with him massive titanic cultural value.  The NBA simply isn't the NBA without Jordan and the massive marketing effort/success around him.

In no way does that diminish Jordan as a player.  But he's not alone in the discussion of the GOAT, not for what he did on the court.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JiFapono said:

see, here you go

Curtis Martin is 1 of 2 players in NFL history to start his career with 10 straight 1,000-yard rushing seasons.  The only other player to do it?  Barry Sanders. Curtis Martin won the rushing title in his 10th season in the league (the oldest player to win a rushing title).  He also won ROY, having one of the greatest debut seasons for a RB in the NFL history.  Records in his first season and a record in his last ever full season.  

But one is a compiler.  lol 

None of this really addresses what I wrote.

Let me help you out - Tom Brady has won 3 league MVP awards and has 7 all-pro selections. Meanwhile, Curtis Martin has 0 league MVP awards and 1 all-pro selection - ONE. LOL

Curtis was a great player, but you sound like a delusional Jets homer arguing that Curtis Martin was anywhere near as dominant of a running back as Brady is a QB. 

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Wilt, Russel, Kareem, Bryant and of course LeBron all can lay claim to being the GOAT or being damn close to Jordan's equal.

Jordan, like Namath, carries with him massive titanic cultural value.  The NBA simply isn't the NBA without Jordan and the massive marketing effort/success around him.

In no way does that diminish Jordan as a player.  But he's not alone in the discussion of the GOAT, not for what he did on the court.

Jordan was a better version of Kobe - so I don't quite see that one. The others I could potentially agree with you on - although Wilt had too many poor postseason performances for my taste. 

I think Russell, Kareem, and Lebron are all definitely in the discussion. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Jordan was a better version of Kobe - so I don't quite see that one. The others I could potentially agree with you on - although Wilt had too many poor postseason performances for my taste. 

Oscar Robertson would tell you that Oscar Robertson was the best.

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

None of this really addresses what I wrote.

Let me help you out - Tom Brady has won 3 league MVP awards and has 7 all-pro selections. Meanwhile, Curtis Martin has 0 league MVP awards and 1 all-pro selection - ONE. LOL

Curtis was a great player, but you sound like a delusional Jets homer arguing that Curtis Martin was anywhere near as dominant of a running back as Brady is a QB. 

You're comparing a RB vs a QB.  Specifically, one that played for the NY Jets for the majority of his career vs. a QB who 21 years in and is still going who has played on a team that won 19 out of 20 straight years, to another loaded team that has made the playoffs in consecutive years.

This is apples to meteoroids. 

And I never made the comparisons, you did.  I simply said, it's funny how Curtis is considered a compiler but Brady, isnt.  This is literally a player who was taped saying "I'm going to break Manning's records because he's breaking down and I'm not".  lmfao

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Don't get me wrong, the NBA isn't my sport (Baseball and Football are me), so I'll defer to true hoop-heads as the experts.

But I think sometimes Fans ignore the "why" behind some players perceived greatness.  Jordan was utterly amazing on the court, no doubt, no question, one of the best to ever step on a court, but his effect OFF the court was more massive than any player in NBA history by a massive margin.  No one else comes close. 

That effect is a big part of why he gets the GOAT nod vs. players that really were his equal or better on the court. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

Jordan still the GOAT out of every sport.  

No, Wayne Gretzky is. Gretzky did things and put up numbers that will never be broken. Guys that win scoring tittles today are still at least 100 pts shy of what Gretzky did. It's a good argument, but Jordan is no Gretzky.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

You're comparing a RB vs a QB.  Specifically, one that played for the NY Jets for the majority of his career vs. a QB who 21 years in and is still going who has played on a team that won 19 out of 20 straight years, to another loaded team that has made the playoffs in consecutive years.

This is apples to meteoroids. 

Let me help you again:

All-pro selections occur for every position on the field and have nothing to do with your team's record. Brady has 6, Curtin Martin has 3. 

I would quit while I'm behind. 

edit: 6

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

And I never made the comparisons, you did.  I simply said, it's funny how Curtis is considered a compiler but Brady, isnt.  This is literally a player who was taped saying "I'm going to break Manning's records because he's breaking down and I'm not".  lmfao

I think you are getting too bent out of shape about the word "compiler." After all, Brady is ALSO a "compiler" 

The difference is that Brady has had half a dozen all-pro selections, multiple MVP awards, and record breaking seasons.

It's not that Curtis Martin wasn't great, it's that he didn't dominate the sport the way Brady, at times, has. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I dont know man, I was typically the one battling for Martin and it always felt like I was in the minority.  

///what you want to bet some brings up the AFC Championship game? 

There's nothing wrong with Battling for Curtis Martin. I loved Curtis. Still one of only three Jets Jerseys that I own. 

But it's all about what you are battling for, though. Battling against Brady - yeah, not a fight you can win. 

Also - what's wrong with bringing up one of the biggest games of his career?