Safety: PFF rates Pinnock 4th highest last 3 weeks of regular season

“Over the final three weeks of the 2021 season, Jason Pinnock was PFF’s 4th highest graded Safety (80.7) ?

High marks in coverage, stopping run, and tackling.  On a banged up team against Tampa and a hungry Buffalo.

Given our expansive needs, it would be great to sign a very good starting caliber strong safety in Free Agency and then allow some young guys to compete at Free Safety with an inexpensive veteran such as Joyner (re-sign to 1 yr deal).

That would allow the Jets to roll with Riley and Davis as backups and importantly not need to Draft a free safety in the premium rounds.

Pinnock intrigues me because he brings coverage skills / instincts to the position and might just be big enough to help stop the run.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

Considering the opposition in 2 of those three games, that's pretty good going.

Earlier in the year he looked dreadful (probably while still at CB) - I think I recall him getting penalties on ST, possibly D as well, and feeling he was a liability. But if he can develop into at least a depth guy that will be great.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

The less capital (draft/FA) we need to devote to S, the more we can devote to, let's see....OLine, Edge, TE, WR, LB, RB, more LB, CB, more LB, more WR, more TE, more Edge, more OLine.  

Agreed. I think JD has shown he won’t invest high picks on the back end of the defense. We gave so many young guys opportunities this year at LB and DB to see who can stick for next year and Pinnock looks like one of the bunch that can. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, docdhc said:

Agreed. I think JD has shown he won’t invest high picks on the back end of the defense. We gave so many young guys opportunities this year at LB and DB to see who can stick for next year and Pinnock looks like one of the bunch that can. 

Hall looks to be the real deal, Carter II is pretty good and I'd throw Echols in there as well.

DB is the least of our needs.  Shore up with a FA or 2 and I think we're fine.  

• Upvote 2

The more holes we have filled heading into the off-season the better. 

Depth is an often overlooked hole.  If he has shown already that he’s a capable backup with ST contributions and a glimmer of potential to be a serviceable starter, that’s a good pick in the 5th round.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, freestater said:

This is a good point. It should also pointed out that Pinnock didn't have one completed pass against him last week. Not. One. 

I see what you did there ;).  He also didn’t have 1 pass completed on him against Brady.  That’s pretty good but to be fair maybe others were simply easier prey.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NYJets43 said:

Remember when Bless Austin was awesome?

Yep- that’s a really good example of intriguing small sample size that didn’t pan out.

I haven’t watched Pinnock closely enough but hope we might have found a diamond in the ruff who only needed a position change.  It would be nice if the words Jets and good luck were introduced to each other.  Not banking on it.