4 HC Openings Remain

brian flores might be right or he might be wrong but how he expects to continue working in the nfl after filing this suit is beyond me - if a team hires him it concedes that all decisions going forward will be cleared through him - does any team want the head coach to run the entire organization? because that’s what happens if you hire him - perfectly understand why miami fired him - oh and like i said he could be right about hiring practices but boy did he blow up his own ship trying to prove it

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

brian flores might be right or he might be wrong but how he expects to continue working in the nfl after filing this suit is beyond me - if a team hires him it concedes that all decisions going forward will be cleared through him - does any team want the head coach to run the entire organization? because that’s what happens if you hire him - perfectly understand why miami fired him - oh and like i said he could be right about hiring practices but boy did he blow up his own ship trying to prove it

Only one, but it has worked out pretty well.?

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, nycdan said:

I think if he were offered a HC gig it would pretty much undermine that half of his lawsuit.

NFL would probably be pretty happy with that outcome.

21 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Yes, I do. I think they like McCown but he has no real coaching expereince and is way to risky. In the end, Caserio will hire who he feels is the best candidate regardless of the lawsuit. I could be wrong, just a gut feeling.

Strikes me as far more likely he never coaches in the league again.

His intentions are noble but I suspect very few NFL owners would ever want to employ a guy that would do this.

not sure I always understand this line of thinking.   Whose says minority players want to become coaches for one?  
that being said, the 35% on coaching staffs should over time turn into HCs.
and a league with 70% minority players has about 35% on coaching staffs and less than 10% HCs.
Are you saying they're in on the 'interview to satisfy the Rooney rule but don't hire me' process? Because they're interviewing, and complaining when they don't get interviewed. That tells me they want to be coaches.

I think most owners, if there was a slam-dunk candidate that was black, would hire him. They used their millions/bns to buy a sports team because they're competitive.

I also think that a lot of these 70-year-old white men are more comfortable with white men, all else equal. As tye league ownership get younger I think it will improve.

And I'm sure a few owners don't think black coaches are as capable as white coaches, just like they used to think that black QBs weren't capable (and some maybe still do). There's racism, just like in society. It's decreasing amongst people with open minds, or that get out of their echo chamber, but it's sure taking a long ass time.

I dont think he expects to work in the NFL again. Everything he's said since was along the lines if 'thos was too important not to do.'

But I do think some owners would still give him a shot (f allowed) in spite of it all. sh*t, Al Davis would have hired him because of it all. He was good in Miami with a sh*t situation due to the actions of the owner. As a Jets fan, I was happy to see him go!
  • Upvote 1

On 2/4/2022 at 1:39 PM, Rangers1 said:

The fans down here wanted Tua. Flores was all over the place with his win streaks and losing streaks. Very inconsistent. Was vocal about Watson and caused a rift  in the team. Some of the talking heads and writers were expressing their concerns about Flores.

I think he got himself fired

maybe and for that reason he doesn't deserve another job.  some of his argument is pretty specious.  these gm's and owners are talking all the time and it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibilities that the bellichicken was asked about flores and that he knew daboll was the first choice.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:
7 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:
I know its not officially announced but everyone knows the Vikings are going with Rams offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell. Saying that's a guess is like saying you guess water is wet. Lol

Are you old enough to remember ' the napkin ' ?

Are you saying Kevin O'Connell is going to accept the Vikings job then resign on a napkin, or do you think he'll spurn the Vikings à la Josh McDaniels? Do you have anymore outlier examples to make it seem like it's not all but guaranteed Kevin O’Connell is the next head coach of the Minnesota Vikings?

On 2/4/2022 at 12:50 PM, nycdan said:

I think if he were offered a HC gig it would pretty much undermine that half of his lawsuit.

NFL would probably be pretty happy with that outcome.

He’d be a distraction at this point. I don’t think any team would want their HC to be a distraction. Completly different reasons but urban myer ruined his opportunity because of that in less than 1 season. Everyone has the right to pursue legal action but he probably should have waited until all the hires had been completed before pulling the trigger. 

Are you saying Kevin O'Connell is going to accept the Vikings job then resign on a napkin, or do you think he'll spurn the Vikings à la Josh McDaniels? Do you have anymore outlier examples to make it seem like it's not all but guaranteed Kevin O’Connell is the next head coach of the Minnesota Vikings?
I guess Josh McDaniels and the Colts comes to mind as well as a recent example.

On 2/4/2022 at 12:48 PM, UntouchableCrew said:

Do people really think Flores is getting hired with this lawsuit is out there?

I think he would probably agree to drop the lawsuit in exchange for a new NFL policy or agreement on the subject.

He would be perfect for the Texans though. Watson wants to play for him, it makes so much sense.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, extmenace said:

He’d be a distraction at this point. I don’t think any team would want their HC to be a distraction. Completly different reasons but urban myer ruined his opportunity because of that in less than 1 season. Everyone has the right to pursue legal action but he probably should have waited until all the hires had been completed before pulling the trigger. 

Again this is why Houston is the perfect spot for him.

They would welcome a new distraction with open arms!

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Again this is why Houston is the perfect spot for him.

They would welcome a new distraction with open arms!

i dont know how you can trust him anymore.

if things dont go his way and you fire him in 2 years does he go all scorched earth on your team? 

1 hour ago, doitny said:

i dont know how you can trust him anymore.

if things dont go his way and you fire him in 2 years does he go all scorched earth on your team? 

Well it comes down to not breaking the law I guess. If you are honest you have nothing to worry about. He called Ross out for breaking tampering rules with Brady.  And the Giants were involved because he was told they made a decision before they interviewed him.

Seems like a guy you could start a rebuild with.

14 hours ago, Maxman said:

I think he would probably agree to drop the lawsuit in exchange for a new NFL policy or agreement on the subject.

He would be perfect for the Texans though. Watson wants to play for him, it makes so much sense.

I mean, if I'm Roger Goodell that's certainly what I'd like. For this to go away with the optics of the hire.

But you need to sell an owner that they want this guy running their franchise. After the way Flores just eviscerated Ross -- which owner wants to tiptoe around this guy? I strongly suspect he'll never be a HC again. Maybe I'm off base but I think it's more likely he'll never coach in the NFL again than that he'll be a HC. "I can't fire this guy or he'll sue me and claim I'm a racist" is a huge incentive to not hire him, let alone I'm sure most owners are peeved he's dragging the league into the muck on this.

Granted, NFL has taken a softer stance on this stuff since pulling a 180 on Kaepernick so maybe they'll be a lot of internal pressure.

I mean, if I'm Roger Goodell that's certainly what I'd like. For this to go away with the optics of the hire.
But you need to sell an owner that they want this guy running their franchise. After the way Flores just eviscerated Ross -- which owner wants to tiptoe around this guy? I strongly suspect he'll never be a HC again. Maybe I'm off base but I think it's more likely he'll never coach in the NFL again than that he'll be a HC. "I can't fire this guy or he'll sue me and claim I'm a racist" is a huge incentive to not hire him, let alone I'm sure most owners are peeved he's dragging the league into the muck on this.
Granted, NFL has taken a softer stance on this stuff since pulling a 180 on Kaepernick so maybe they'll be a lot of internal pressure.
Sad ... but probably true .. the guy is an excellent coach ... but the threat of a lawsuit is to dangerous to overlook.
  • Upvote 1

On 2/5/2022 at 1:51 PM, isired said:

Are you saying they're in on the 'interview to satisfy the Rooney rule but don't hire me' process? Because they're interviewing, and complaining when they don't get interviewed. That tells me they want to be coaches.

I think most owners, if there was a slam-dunk candidate that was black, would hire him. They used their millions/bns to buy a sports team because they're competitive.

I also think that a lot of these 70-year-old white men are more comfortable with white men, all else equal. As tye league ownership get younger I think it will improve.

And I'm sure a few owners don't think black coaches are as capable as white coaches, just like they used to think that black QBs weren't capable (and some maybe still do). There's racism, just like in society. It's decreasing amongst people with open minds, or that get out of their echo chamber, but it's sure taking a long ass time.

no no no.  obviously the ones interviewing want the job.   but not all players want the job - and the point was that the percentages were not the same.

agree with all your other points