Woody Interested in Buying Premier League Soccer Team

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

The relegation rules create real risk for people like Woody.  There is literally no floor in terms of how much the value can be driven down by an incompetent owner.  Very different from an NFL franchise.

Chelsea will only get relegated if they are caught in a cheating scandal or something else nefarious.

They spend too much on players to be anywhere near the relegation line.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So, lots of rich people will their money to their kids and grandkids.  When did that become an oddity or a crime?  

Be bought one team for $600M that's now worth $5B, brings in huge returns each year, that makes him a "tool"?

Forget it

A blind Trust could have paid 600 mil and it would be worth the same.  He did nothing to make this team better. It is worse now than when he bought it.

I am NOT anti inheritance. My kids will do VERY WELL.  But don't mistake sperm club for brains. Woody has done nothing of significance that a well appointed properly vetted trustee couldn't do better. MUCH better.

4 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

A blind Trust could have paid 600 mil and it would be worth the same.  He did nothing to make this team better. It is worse now than when he bought it.

I am NOT anti inheritance. My kids will do VERY WELL.  But don't mistake sperm club for brains. Woody has done nothing of significance that a well appointed properly vetted trustee couldn't do better. MUCH better.

Who ******* cares that anyone could have bought the team?  He wanted them, made his offer and pitch and was vetted.  How this is problematic is mind numbing.  He invested a Shltload of money, no one else did and is sitting on a huge asset so is interested in Chelsea. 
I don’t confuse Sperm club, whatever that is with brains.  The one confused is the one that keeps saying heirs are dumb, stupid and unaccomplished.  And at the mere mention of his name requires multiple posts to  all him dumb, etc

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Who ******* cares that anyone could have bought the team?  He wanted them, made his offer and pitch and was vetted.  How this is problematic is mind numbing.  He invested a Shltload of money, no one else did and is sitting on a huge asset so is interested in Chelsea. 
I don’t confuse Sperm club, whatever that is with brains.  The one confused is the one that keeps saying heirs are dumb, stupid and unaccomplished.  And at the mere mention of his name requires multiple posts to  all him dumb, etc

He won the auction….  I am confident many others bid on the Jets, not sure I care.  can’t remember. Let’s stop… I stand on Woody is a WELL below average business man and a poor owner. You dont.  We can coexist. 

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

He won the auction….  I am confident many others bid on the Jets, not sure I care.  can’t remember. Let’s stop… I stand on Woody is a WELL below average business man and a poor owner. You dont.  We can coexist. 

Nonsense.  He was picked by the owners as all sales are conducted.   Dolan was in the running.  
You’re wrong when you assume that inheriting money makes you stupid and you’re wrong that I think he’s a good business man.  One with a seriously funny obsession with spewing hate on someone because he was born lucky.  It bothers you, is very apparent but you refuse to admit what your posts say.  I find it interesting, doesn’t change my life if he inherited his money.  He’s stupid rich

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

The Jets have been a bad team for the better part of his time as owner. 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

The Jets have been a bad team for the better part of his time as owner. 

They also had a 7-10 year run when they made the playoffs more than most, with 2 AFCCGs thrown in.
He’s got 10 years of shlt on his record, 4 of which he wasn’t on the continent.  
It hasn’t gone the way we all want it but he hasn’t been the worst, so there’s that

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

They also had a 7-10 year run when they made the playoffs more than most, with 2 AFCCGs thrown in.
He’s got 10 years of shlt on his record, 4 of which he wasn’t on the continent.  
It hasn’t gone the way we all want it but he hasn’t been the worst, so there’s that

I feel like that’s gonna be on his tombstone:

Woody Johnson: He wasn’t the worst. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I am selfish person.  I only care about the Jets.  Is Woody buying Chelsea going to make the Jets better or worse?  I say worse.  You don’t get the sense that the Jets had unlimited cash flow like other teams.  This will distract and divert Woody’s attention and money.  

He could win the auction with his connections and the UK basically now seizing the team. 

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has finally been sanctioned by the UK government. All his assets have been frozen including Chelsea FC. He cannot currently sell the club, in fact under the terms of the section Chelsea can't even sell tickets for forthcoming games, only season ticket holders can attend. So Woody ain't buying anything in the near future...

43 minutes ago, Russh29 said:

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has finally been sanctioned by the UK government. All his assets have been frozen including Chelsea FC. He cannot currently sell the club, in fact under the terms of the section Chelsea can't even sell tickets for forthcoming games, only season ticket holders can attend. So Woody ain't buying anything in the near future...

If he sells Chelsea FC the UK seizes the proceeds and uses it to build orphanages in the Ukraine.  

That money is among the other bargaining chips the West uses to get Putin to stop.   But I don’t think in the long-run Roman owns that team forever.  

Romans done at Chelsea now no way he will get any of his money back. All this will do is make the price cheaper for a invester to buy in the summer on the cheap and the uk government will hold the money until it sees fit and the heat is on too get rid of it. They won’t stop a sell of the club as they won’t want Chelsea to go under cause of the backlash 

Woody Johnson

New York Jets owner Woody Johnson is said to be interested in investing in Premier League soccer with the billionaire businessman considering a move to buy Chelsea Football club following the decision by owner Roman Abramovich to sell the West London club.

Abramovich is set to feel the pinch of sanctions and has put Chelsea up for sale for an apparently reduced fee, said to be in the region of $4 billion. It’s a move that would see him become the latest individual to have a stake in NFL and English soccer.

The Jets aren’t doing so well in the and Johnson may be keen on investing in Chelsea due to their success on the pitch. Such a deal wouldn’t be a massive risk, much as it is when selecting your cric betting tips, and could, in the long run, pay off from a financial perspective.

Woody Johnson has previously served as the United States ambassador to the United Kingdom, from 2017 to 2021, and is therefore well placed to know about Chelsea’s standing in the game. Indeed some reports suggest that the 74-year-old is a fan of the Stamford Bridge team.

Chelsea won the Champions League last season, the pinnacle of the club game, and currently sits in third place in the Premier League table, behind Manchester City and Liverpool.

Other NFL owners who have a stake in English soccer include Los Angeles Rams owner Stan Kroenke who is the owner of Chelsea’s London rivals Arsenal, then there are the Glazers, who own the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Manchester United. Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shahid Khan owns Championship team Fulham.

Johnson bought the Jets in 2000, two years after they made it to the AFC divisional playoffs, a stage they didn’t reach again until 2009.  Since then it has been a terrible stretch, with the team having a losing record in the last six seasons in a row.

Though they haven’t been successful on the field of play, the New York Jets’ value as an organization has risen significantly. Johnson is said to have paid $500 million for the NFL team when he bought them over 20 years ago, and they are now valued at approximately $2.4 billion.

Many Jets fans have previously called on Johnson to sell the club, and his interest in Chelsea could expedite such an arrangement unless he feels he can afford to run both teams simultaneously, with all the costs associated with it.

News of such a move is said to not have been received well by Chelsea fans, and the negative connotations around such a deal were referenced by a tweet from New York Times columnist Mike Lupica, who tweeted;

“There is a story going around that Jets owner Woody Johnson has an interest in buying the Chelsea football club Over There,”

“And if you’re a Chelsea fan – what’s the good news?”

It should be noted that there is no shortage of interest in Chelsea, and Johnson is just one of a dozen or so interested parties, and most of the others who are keen on the team have far bigger wallets.

The post Woody Interested in Buying Premier League Soccer Team appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

On 3/9/2022 at 10:46 AM, 32EBoozer said:

I take it that those are teams below the Premier League? I know little of British football but I do know you can be demoted for poor play. If that were the rule in NFL, Jets would be in the 3rd rendition of the  USFL

Yep, Premier League at the top, then the Football League, made up of the Championship, then League 1 and League 2. Finish at the bottom of League 2, you get demoted to what's considered non-league (The National League, get relegated from there into the National League North (or South - the leagues get regionalised below the National League) and so on. I think there's something like 11 or 12 tiers in English football. A club could theoretically go all the way down, or up - Forest Green Rovers who are now in League 1, were in the eighth tier in the mid 90s.