The Jets need to be strategic with their top 4 draft picks. I have the answers which I believe the Jets will follow.

Alka

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

What are your thoughts on Walker? I only watched two of his games and they were the same two everyone else watched, so I won’t pretend to know anything about him beyond the Combine numbers.

He strikes me as one of those guys that everyone has to dig insanely deep to explain the lack of production for top-5 and that's not a good thing for a guy at 4. 10 maybe, but not 4.

7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

What are your thoughts on Walker? I only watched two of his games and they were the same two everyone else watched, so I won’t pretend to know anything about him beyond the Combine numbers.

Short. He's a projection as an edge rusher, people are gonna go nuts for the size/speed and length, ExP is ordinary.

1 minute ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Short. He's a projection as an edge rusher, people are gonna go nuts for the size/speed and length, ExP is ordinary.

Isn't London clearly the guy anyways? Checks every box, at least in the context of this draft. Low ceiling but the floor is capable starter and with this franchise that's gotta be the bar after the last decade.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Isn't London clearly the guy anyways? Checks every box, at least in the context of this draft. Low ceiling but the floor is capable starter and with this franchise that's gotta be the bar after the last decade.

I dunno. Trying to trade out of the whole second day to land Hill makes me assume they're looking someplace else at 4 and 10.

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I'm going on among other things common sense. The basic idea is you can get top CB later when other positions that we need - edge OL etc - the top guys are gone. That is just based on the draft, then you throw in our team deemphasized the CB position in our system then it makes even less sense to spend a top 10 pick. Then on topo of that we just brought in Reed to fill our CB 1 hole and we still have Hall etc. for the CB2 3 spots. well again it all reenforces the logical conclusion that spending a top 10 pick on CB is silly when you can easily grab a top guy in round 2 or 3, if you even draft one, which we don't really need to do.

This of course is all be design to by Joe D, our team having the flexibility to draft one or not this off season. Not to mention the fact that the very best CB ever drafted was later in the draft too.

Do you disagree with any of what I have said? and if so what? I do think you are rigth that CB is becoming a more expensive piece, Saleh agrees with you too, that is why his system takes advantage of it, let other team waste their money/draft captiol on CB's

I actually disagree with most of it.  I'm not sure where you're coming from that our system de-emphasizes CB.  Sure we play a lot of zone and sure we rely on a pass rush to create turnovers. But the market being set for CBs suggest it is among the top 3 positions on defense (1. Edge, 2. IDL and 3. CB)  As with WR, and OT, Douglas needs to create a pipeline for these big money positions since he won't be able to sign everyone he drafts to second contracts.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

I actually disagree with most of it.  I'm not sure where you're coming from that our system de-emphasizes CB.  Sure we play a lot of zone and sure we rely on a pass rush to create turnovers. But the market being set for CBs suggest it is among the top 3 positions on defense (1. Edge, 2. IDL and 3. CB)  As with WR, and OT, Douglas needs to create a pipeline for these big money positions since he won't be able to sign everyone he drafts to second contracts.

The def Saleh has set up relies on front pressure not lock down coverage cb coverage. Developed from SEA then SF and now here. It's a well documented and arguably proven concept... although that is very debatable. Saleh himself has described it, maybe not specifically saying we can use less talented guys but he has said coach speak and the def design shows his plan. They get help from the safeties and the front causes pressure. I don't know the x's and O's but a few sport analysts etc have spoken about it when he was hired and through out last season. Hey it might all be bull sh*t but that is the idea that our system allows for say CB2s to run it effectively. There is no man on ak island concept.

It's tough because with the injury to our pass rush or just lack there of pass rush plus bad safety play you see out def get scorched all day, but it was bad angles of safeties, missed assignments etc that really killed is. Hall and the rest did admirable job last year and should absolutely fine this year behind reed as the 1.

• Upvote 1

I just think the Jets need to let the board fall to them. If the CB that we just signed gets hurt we literally have the same starting CBs as last year. Echols I have some hope for - but Hall has Kyle Wilsonitis. Perhaps Douglas can find a good CB later in the draft - but that can really be said for any position. I personally think Sauce is the best prospect in this draft.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

20 hours ago, varjet said:

I think you can look at the Jets' Drafts over the last 10 years and see little or no strategy.   We can see it both ways.  In 2015 the Jets were terrible covering RBs and TEs, so they drafted Darron Lee.  He just was not very good. That whole draft was not good.  But loading up on the DL, year after year, etc., and then reaching for need, was not strategic. 

It is quite possible that Sauce at 4 is the best player the Jets can take at that spot that they can also use.  They obviously bet against that by spending $11mm/year on DJ Ward.  It is also possible that Ekwenu is the BPA at that spot, but yes, the Jets bet against that by paying Tomlinsoin $13mm/year.   So you would almost conclude that they are playing on drafting an EDGE at 4, which would be very strategic.  But if the first 4 picks are Hutchinson, Walker and Thib, then best BPA would be Sauce or Ekwenu, either of whom puts a capable starter on the bench, as opposed to adding a net capable starter.  If that is the case, someone is trading up for a QB, and you trade down.  

What was wrong with "Darron Lee." other than he sucked?

21 hours ago, Alka said:

Always strategic, but the strategy changes depending on the needs and the draft picks of the team in question.  The Jets need multiple starting players, and if the Jets play their hand correctly, can fill in 4 starting positions with the top 4 draft picks.  If the Jets aren't as strategic as I have outlined, will not be able to fill 4 starting positions.  The Jets need starting players, and if they draft a cornerback and safety at #4 and #10, then the pickings get slim for other positions for starters in the second round.  

The dumbest thing the Jets can do is draft Sauce at #4 and Hamilton at #10.  Just dumb.

You’re expected to draft starters in the top 40 picks. Even QBs are expected to be starters by year 2. 

I just think the Jets need to let the board fall to them. If the CB that we just signed gets hurt we literally have the same starting CBs as last year. Echols I have some hope for - but Hall has Kyle Wilsonitis. Perhaps Douglas can find a good CB later in the draft - but that can really be said for any position. I personally think Sauce is the best prospect in this draft.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

.cc2a97a4d4218c46b7527692aa46c35b.gif

22 hours ago, Alka said:

I have way too much time on my hands.  I have done countless mock drafts, and over the course of time, I have realized that there is a definite trend that I believe the Jets must see as I do.

And that is, that there are at least 10 cornerbacks/safeties in this years draft that are very solid, and at approximately  5 of these draftees will be available at the #35 spot and #38 spot.  All 10 of these prospects are deemed worthy of either a 1st round pick, or 2nd round pick, and I can see every one of them as potential starters going into this next season.  In addition, there will be at least 2 solid, potential starters for linebacker at the #35 and #38 spot as well.

So, why is this so important?  The answer is clear.  By the #35 spot, the top edge rushers will be gone, and the top wide receivers will be gone.  The Jets need edge rusher and wide receiver, and if the Jets do in fact stay calm and focused, they must stick to the plan and get both players in the top 10.

At #35 and #38, the Jets will be in great shape to draft a potential starter at cornerback, safety and linebacker.  

This is the way the Jets will go in my opinion.  I don't care if Sauce or Kyle Hamilton is available at the #10 spot.  There will be solid players for them at the top of the second round, and they must stay focused and understand the strength of this years draft.  

Thank you for adding to the about 50 other threads stating the Jets must draft an edge or WR in round 1. I would have never realised this otherwise.  

captain obvious hotels.com GIF

1 hour ago, Barton said:

1st 4 picks ---- Drake London, Trevor Penning, Breece Hall, Trey McBride

Boom. Offense is ready to score points. This is the NFL in 2022, fellas. 

London - slower than thick maple syrup. @The Crusher can’t wait. We need a burner. 

Penning - Bigger fish to fry than tacking a tackle 

Breece Hall - no rb’s in first 2 rounds that’s a no no

Mcbride - Got 2 TE’s already in a DEEP DEEP TE class. Can get another in round 4/5

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

London - slower than thick maple syrup. @The Crusher can’t wait. We need a burner. 

Penning - Bigger fish to fry than tacking a tackle 

Breece Hall - no rb’s in first 2 rounds that’s a no no

Mcbride - Got 2 TE’s already in a DEEP DEEP TE class. Can get another in round 4/5

And this is why the Jets have a bottom 10 offense in the league every year.