Jets bringing in OT Riley Reiff for a visit.

On 4/26/2022 at 1:16 PM, Sperm Edwards said:
  1. Fisher = was still a blindside starter for a playoff team in his first year after Achilles surgery = adequate depth
  2. Bulaga
  3. Reiff
  4. Peters
  5. Duane Brown
  6. Shell
  7. Daryl Williams
  8. Solder
  9. Cannon
  10. Massie

Plus other borderline former starting tackles e.g. Remmers

...or those with G+T starting experience e.g. Flowers

...or those who are signed but may become expendable/available - for far less than a top 4 or top 10 pick, or even maybe a player swap - after the first couple draft rounds are over, if the goal is "depth" rather than an immediate starter replacement. 

He's not the only one available, but imo Reiff is fine for depth. I was never on board with McDermott as the OT3 on either side.

Concerns notwithstanding, they have Fant & Becton, and while Fant slid over just fine when Becton was ruled out for up to 2 months (obviously it became the rest of the season), they really need someone for a spot start here & there that doesn't require two tackles changing at the same time. The way things stand, that's McDermott at LT and Ruckert (or lawd help us, Edoga) at RT.

Depending how the summer goes, I might not cry hard about Mitchell filling in at RT as a rookie here or there, but am less enthusiastic at LT. Reiff should be fine for spot starts. It wouldn't be ideal, but he could also start at one of the tackle spots - including LT - for an extended stint if truly needed; around the league most backup LTs suck anyway. 

He isn't going to get much from anyone. He took a pay cut to $7.5MM last year, was meh after moving to RT, and then got injured. Of the last 7 games, he left 2 of them early and missed the other 5 outright (including the last 4), and then missed the playoffs. Plus there are still plenty of veteran tackles available so it's a buyer's market. If they're paying Feeney $3MM to back up both C and G, they can pay the same for Reiff to back up both tackle spots as needed. Plus Edoga's departure would be official, which would lessen any new tackle's hit by another million.

edit: initially wrote Ruckert in for Mitchell lol

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The way things stand, that's McDermott at LT and Ruckert (or lawd help us, Edoga) at RT.

Depending how the summer goes, I might not cry hard about Ruckert filling in at RT as a rookie here or there, but am less enthusiastic at LT.

I would prefer we leave Rucker’s at TE and use Mitchell or Reiff at RT.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Reiff made 7.5 million last year. 

He's not going to get as much this year. And he's definitely not getting 3 years. He signed a 1-year deal in March of last year with a 2022 void year - meaning the Bengals took a cap hit of 2.8M rather than pay him again this year in a way that smoothed the hit. He's still on the market in June, despite teams signing folks like Moses for 5.5M per. I'd bet he gets a 1 year deal at 4-5M. Maybe 2 years. That's it

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He's not the only one available, but imo Reiff is fine for depth. I was never on board with McDermott as the OT3 on either side.

Concerns notwithstanding, they have Fant & Becton, and while Fant slid over just fine when Becton was ruled out for up to 2 months (obviously it became the rest of the season), they really need someone for a spot start here & there that doesn't require two tackles changing at the same time. The way things stand, that's McDermott at LT and Ruckert (or lawd help us, Edoga) at RT.

Depending how the summer goes, I might not cry hard about Ruckert filling in at RT as a rookie here or there, but am less enthusiastic at LT. Reiff should be fine for spot starts. It wouldn't be ideal, but he could also start at one of the tackle spots - including LT - for an extended stint if truly needed; around the league most backup LTs suck anyway. 

He isn't going to get much from anyone. He took a pay cut to $7.5MM last year, was meh after moving to RT, and then got injured. Of the last 7 games, he left 2 of them early and missed the other 5 outright (including the last 4), and then missed the playoffs. Plus there are still plenty of veteran tackles available so it's a buyer's market. If they're paying Feeney $3MM to back up both C and G, they can pay the same for Reiff to back up both tackle spots as needed. Plus Edoga's departure would be official, which would lessen any new tackle's hit by another million.

Ruckert? Do you mean Max Mitchell?

I think Edoga is b

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Depending how the summer goes, I might not cry hard about Ruckert filling in at RT as a rookie here or there, but am less enthusiastic at LT. Reiff should be fine for spot starts. It wouldn't be ideal, but he could also start at one of the tackle spots - including LT - for an extended stint if truly needed; around the league most backup LTs suck anyway. 

I don't have a problem with taking on Reiff, but I disagree a bit on your rankings.  

I think Edoga is better than you think and ahead of McDermott.  Not good, but then again he isn't a starter.  I am assuming you mixed up Ruckert the TE and Mitchell the T here, but if they are giving Mitchell a roster spot he certainly had better be at least the #4 T on the team.  They also have Greg Senat, the T from Wagner.  He was a developmental prospect that has kicked around the league and spends a bunch of time hurt.  He was a 6th of the Ravens in 2018 and has spent time with the Browns, Chiefs and Colts.  He played some snaps for Dallas in 2020.  I was always interested in him, but I assume he just "sucks." 

5 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Yeah, why not.  Dude has played a ton of Football in this league.  Though I really just dont understand why they didnt bring Moses back.  He signed for next to nothing.

The thing is Moses was also handed a guaranteed starting job in Baltimore. The Jets didn't have that to offer him.

So even if we'd beat out their top offer by $1MM it still might end up being better for him to take the Baltimore offer in the end.  If he lost out on a starting job with the Jets (again), but this time one of those winning starters doesn't miss the season again, it'll cost him a lot more than a million more or less for the 2022 season.

His value for '23 would be lower than if he was starting the whole season for Baltimore than if he was a backup for the Jets in '22. 

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think Edoga is b

I don't have a problem with taking on Reiff, but I disagree a bit on your rankings.  

I think Edoga is better than you think and ahead of McDermott.  Not good, but then again he isn't a starter.  I am assuming you mixed up Ruckert the TE and Mitchell the T here, but if they are giving Mitchell a roster spot he certainly had better be at least the #4 T on the team.  They also have Greg Senat, the T from Wagner.  He was a developmental prospect that has kicked around the league and spends a bunch of time hurt.  He was a 6th of the Ravens in 2018 and has spent time with the Browns, Chiefs and Colts.  He played some snaps for Dallas in 2020.  I was always interested in him, but I assume he just "sucks." 

I think Edoga may be ahead at RT but behind at LT, but either way it's a coin toss because neither is good.

59 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think Edoga is b

Edoga is total, complete, utter trash. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think Edoga may be ahead at RT but behind at LT, but either way it's a coin toss because neither is good.

I don't think that is the case.  When Fant got dinged against NE and the Bengals Edoga went in.  Edoga also played 70% of the snaps against the Bucs with Fant hurt.  Then Edoga also got hurt and McDermott ended up at LT in the week 17 disaster against the Bills.  Edoga was on IR when Moses went down against the Dolphins and McDermott went in.  Moses missed snaps against the Jags and was replaced by McDermott, but I am not sure of Edoga's status then.  If anything Edoga is LT to McDermott's RT, but I think they are looking at it as swing tackle.

4 hours ago, slats said:

Ooh, please, tell us more about this little birdie!

Hasn’t been wrong yet on stuff. Counting on the guy who’s awol and pushing 4 bills to play nfl football in 2.5 months is a stretch. If he’s on a roster it most likely won’t be the Jets. 

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i don't know.  seems like people get enamored with these has beens who just aren't that good anymore, if ever.  

He may not be good any more, but its undeniable that he was very good over the course of his NFL career.  He has had 139 career starts over 10 years, with over 100 of those starts coming at LT.  You don't post that kind of resume without being excellent at what you do for a long time.

He may not have ever reached a Pro Bowl or an All-Pro team, but he's been a trustworthy LT/RT.  

4 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

He's not going to get as much this year. And he's definitely not getting 3 years. He signed a 1-year deal in March of last year with a 2022 void year - meaning the Bengals took a cap hit of 2.8M rather than pay him again this year in a way that smoothed the hit. He's still on the market in June, despite teams signing folks like Moses for 5.5M per. I'd bet he gets a 1 year deal at 4-5M. Maybe 2 years. That's it

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The thing is Moses was also handed a guaranteed starting job in Baltimore. The Jets didn't have that to offer him.

So even if we'd beat out their top offer by $1MM it still might end up being better for him to take the Baltimore offer in the end.  If he lost out on a starting job with the Jets (again), but this time one of those winning starters doesn't miss the season again, it'll cost him a lot more than a million more or less for the 2022 season.

His value for '23 would be lower than if he was starting the whole season for Baltimore than if he was a backup for the Jets in '22. 

Ok fine, jeez, leave me alone! 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think that is the case.  When Fant got dinged against NE and the Bengals Edoga went in.  Edoga also played 70% of the snaps against the Bucs with Fant hurt.  Then Edoga also got hurt and McDermott ended up at LT in the week 17 disaster against the Bills.  Edoga was on IR when Moses went down against the Dolphins and McDermott went in.  Moses missed snaps against the Jags and was replaced by McDermott, but I am not sure of Edoga's status then.  If anything Edoga is LT to McDermott's RT, but I think they are looking at it as swing tackle.

I think that’s largely because McDermott was on IR for the first 9 weeks.

Once he was back he went in when Fant went down. McDermott started 3 of the last 4 games at LT while a healthy Edoga was suited up on the sideline. He was pretty lousy & Edoga then also saw time at LT vs Tampa.

However I was thinking of Edoga at RT because of the prior season. Neither took more than a nominal # of snaps at RT in ‘21 the way Moses held up, but the year before typically Edoga came in for Fant at RT & McDermott for Becton at LT.

Honestly they both suck. Edoga probably has some natural ability McDermott doesn’t have, but imo he’s barely consistent enough to be a backup. I guess he’s got more upside, in theory, like if the light just goes in late - he wouldn’t be the first nor the last - but the team probably wouldn’t pay McDermott more than the vet minimum, and guarantee 1/3 of his salary, to be the 4th OT heading into the draft where there was a 50-50 chance a tackle would be the highest prospect on their board at #4 and they were loaded with high picks again plus an unusually high number of starting veteran tackles available in FA then and now.

I wouldn’t be sad if both were cut. 

12 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think that’s largely because McDermott was on IR for the first 9 weeks.

Once he was back he went in when Fant went down. McDermott started 3 of the last 4 games at LT while a healthy Edoga was suited up on the sideline. He was pretty lousy & Edoga then also saw time at LT vs Tampa.

However I was thinking of Edoga at RT because of the prior season. Neither took more than a nominal # of snaps at RT in ‘21 the way Moses held up, but the year before typically Edoga came in for Fant at RT & McDermott for Becton at LT.

Honestly they both suck. Edoga probably has some natural ability McDermott doesn’t have, but imo he’s barely consistent enough to be a backup. I guess he’s got more upside, in theory, like if the light just goes in late - he wouldn’t be the first nor the last - but the team probably wouldn’t pay McDermott more than the vet minimum, and guarantee 1/3 of his salary, to be the 4th OT heading into the draft where there was a 50-50 chance a tackle would be the highest prospect on their board at #4 and they were loaded with high picks again plus an unusually high number of starting veteran tackles available in FA then and now.

I wouldn’t be sad if both were cut. 

Interesting.  I agree completely with your last sentence.  I don't think they like Edoga at all.  Cimini was reporting they were considering cutting him when they signed Moses.  I just think they see McDermott as more of versatile backup and Edoga as a crappy swing tackle guy.  I am sure they are looking to upgrade from both.  Mitchell and having guys like Reiff in are certainly moves in that direction.

I don't think that McDermott got all his starts at T.  Moses started 16 games, and Becton 1.  Fant started 15 games, so that leaves only two of McDermott's starts at T.  December 19 against the Dolphins McDermott started and played every snap, but Edoga was just activated from IR the day before.   McDermott also started week 18 against the Bills - my recollection was that Edoga was hurt and could not go, but he did play 2 snaps for Moses, so maybe McDermott was just ahead of him on the depth chart.

The rosters are so big now that they carry more guys and these lesser types can stick around and be a better option than picking up someone that might be better and trying to stick them on the field a couple of days after they are signed.  They pretty much carried Isaiah Williams all season and he hardly played.  Williams and McDermott are already 29, Edoga just turned 25, which probably influenced my thinking of "which crappy JAG is better." 

• Upvote 1