Jets bringing in OT Riley Reiff for a visit.

I wonder how much money he expects.  He missed most of the Bengals run with an ankle injury.  I wonder if he is healthy yet.  He played RT in 2021 after being an LT for most of his career.  I don't think he graded very well when he was playing.  Would be an excellent get and insurance, but probably a step below Morgan Moses at RT.  I expect him to get a take it or leave it offer like Ogunjobi and Alexander supposedly got.  Then he might shop around or hope to get better deal as an injury replacement or if someone implodes in camp.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

That'd be a good signing. Solid vet who realistically could be taking snaps given our instability at the position.

@HawkeyeJet Why is that hawk perpetually grimacing?

Because he’s a bad mother f*****.

That wallet in Pulp Fiction was actually gift from Herky to Jules.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Still would love Kwon Alexander. Any news on that? 

Reiff and Kwon Alexander would be fantastic. Reiff could literally sit on the bench and I would be totally happy just knowing Edoga, McDermott and/or a rookie weren't our only options in case Fant/Becton go down. And I do have confidence in Mitchell. I just think its tough to rely on a 4th round rookie to step in as a solid starter. 

Alexander is a great fit for what I would argue is our most questionable group (LB). 

I'm truly not as concerned with the Safety or DT depth as many other fans...if we get these two guys, I think the Jets will be ready to roll (barring injury).    

• Upvote 3

I’m wondering about the timing of it.  Becton isn’t here.  Is bringing him in now sending a message to him that they’re not going to be held hostage by his lack of participation.  And becton saw last year that the jets essentially did replace him just fine with a FA signing.  

I want and expect a veteran OT to be signed before the season. Reiff went on IR last December with an ankle, and will turn 33 this year, so I’m not sure if he’s my first choice. I’d prefer a mauler of a RT, because that’s what the Jets need more than a true swing tackle with Fant and Becton both capable of playing the left side. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, slats said:

I want and expect a veteran OT to be signed before the season. Reiff went on IR last December with an ankle, and will turn 33 this year, so I’m not sure if he’s my first choice. I’d prefer a mauler of a RT, because that’s what the Jets need more than a true swing tackle with Fant and Becton both capable of playing the left side. 

Are there many younger mauler Right Tackles sitting at home unemployed at current that JD could pursue?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Yeah, why not.  Dude has played a ton of Football in this league.  Though I really just dont understand why they didnt bring Moses back.  He signed for next to nothing.

Moses signed with Baltimore so he could start. He wasn't going to get the job handed to him here.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Are there many younger mauler Right Tackles sitting at home unemployed at current that JD could pursue?

No, although I’d probably kick the tires on Brandon Shell before committing to Reiff. Could also be a position that has to wait until the final cut downs. 

25 minutes ago, slats said:

It’s funny, that’s always what I thought Reiff was best suited as in the NFL, even when he was in his prime.  However, He was always good enough to be adequate or slightly above adequate at LT though so that’s where he spent the majority of his time.

Had he spent his entire career at RT, I think he would have been “better”

2 minutes ago, slats said:

No, although I’d probably kick the tires on Brandon Shell before committing to Reiff. Could also be a position that has to wait until the final cut downs. 

Shell wasn't the worst O-lineman during his time here.

I presume the risk, as JD sees it, of waiting till final cutdowns is 1. no one appropriate shakes loose and/or 2. He (JD) gets outbid for whomever he likes that does shake loose.

A move now for a guy like Reiff may be just a placeholder/insurance plan. 

It likely would not stop JD from exploring final cutdown options, should they arise.

• Upvote 3

As of right now we need a starting RT.  If he can start great.

As far as I'm concerned until Becton is done with rehab he can't start.

I don't know anything about him - but if he can just be a solid starter I'm good with it.  And if/when Becton is ready and he can beat this guy out - even better.

• Upvote 2