Joe Flacco has been "on fire" as the Jets starter

Facts

On 8/19/2022 at 7:02 PM, Facts said:

The Zach Wilson reign was a fantastic portion of 1 year.

The Athletic's Zack Rosenblatt reports Joe Flacco has been "on fire" as the Jets starter in training camp. 

Flacco has operated as New York's starter after Zach Wilson suffered a frightening knee injury in the team's first preseason game. Wilson has since undergone surgery and likely won't be ready for Week 1. Flacco, 37, recently completed 10 straight passes in 11-on-11 practices, hitting pass catchers in stride and demonstrating a command of the Jets offense. Rosenblatt said Flacco on Tuesday "completed 14 of 17 passes, with four touchdowns, all of them in the red zone — an area in which Wilson had struggled at times in training camp." There's a reasonable argument that Flacco would be better for the fantasy prospects of Jets pass catchers than Wilson, who has struggled at times during camp. New York receivers have complimented Flacco's delivery since he took over as starter. Flacco could be a pleasant surprise in superflex formats early in the regular season. He would have a revenge game against Baltimore in Week 1. 

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/702/joe-flacco

These are the kind of things you should hear consistently from your QB during training camp especially with the talent we have on offense. We just don't hear this consistently at all with Wilson.

• Sympathy 1

On 8/19/2022 at 8:36 PM, Jet Nut said:

What’s with the flip from why is Flacco even on this team?

What’s with the idea that saying what Flacco is as a long term QB have to do with Wilson?  That’s two QBs you used that defense for.  Flacco hasn’t won a game in 3 seasons.  You want me to say he’s good because why?

Because he's proven to be a good QB who has played great at times during his career and won a SB. He looks to be in good shape and quite capable of running this type of offense.

As for the 3 seasons Flacco has not won a game that's a dumb argument since he was not brought in to start in any capacity and its certainly not easy to come in and produce with players you have little experience or practice with. He didn't win because the team was bad especially the defense. 

Obviously we would all love to see Wilson become a good QB but as of right now Flacco will probably be starting game 1. Yes he's 37 and its obvious he's no long term answer but this team needs stability right now more than anything. They need to know they can produce and win and maybe Flacco provides that for a few games and gives us a good barometer of what we need to expect when Zach comes back. If Flacco steps in and runs this offense really well in Zach's absence there is absolutely no reason why Zach can't do the same when he gets back. If he starts showing the same tendencies and bad play when he does come back there needs to be some questions asked about his future. I hope it does not come to that but you just can't turn away from this stuff ...The kid will need to produce

• Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

Wrong.

Yeah really ..why don't you elaborate . In the beginning all we heard was Zach has been off.... then in the week leading up to the first pre season game we heard Zach was playing well. He played in the pre season game didn't do much and made one bone headed pass then got hurt again. 

22 hours ago, slats said:

Zach, sure. Not really as sure about Saleh. 

It’s not sacrificing the team. The roster is full of young, largely untapped potential. Just on offense, they have Moore, MC1, GWilson, and Hall on rookie deals thru 2024. Zach’s a part of that group, and whether or not he’s going to develop is the premier issue facing the franchise right now. No matter how good Flacco looks, he’s not the future of this team. In fact, I could go so far as to say that starting Flacco for any extended period of time while Zach is healthy and ready to go would be far more detrimental to the team moving forward. They absolutely need to determine if Zach is a part of that young offensive core or not. They need to know whether they need to do something at the position next year or not. They have to play him. 

Keep in mind if Flacco does well and Zach comes in and plays like he did in the past season there might be a little pressure on Saleh to possibly pull Zach and that pressure will build every game if he continues to play bad. if Saleh plays it stubborn and continues to play Zach the fans and the media will certainly let him know. in a sense this could be the best thing that happens to both Zach and the team 

7 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Yeah really ..why don't you elaborate . In the beginning all we heard was Zach has been off.... then in the week leading up to the first pre season game we heard Zach was playing well. He played in the pre season game didn't do much and made one bone headed pass then got hurt again. 

All reports out of camp recently was Zach was killing it.  Birthday, perfect.  Really good after.  

But you are going to see what you want to see.

15 minutes ago, Coffee Is Great said:

It's been five years since Flacco started double-digit games in this league. He's 6-16 as a starter since then. The only way we're winning games with him is if our OL/run game is one of the best in the league. 

It should be based on the FA and draft picks used on both.  

10 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

All reports out of camp recently was Zach was killing it.  Birthday, perfect.  Really good after.  

But you are going to see what you want to see.

No you are seeing what you want to see ...there were plenty of reports Zach was off early in camp if you bothered to read my post it also stated he was doing well the week leading up to the Philly game. You use the word recently so you know the initial reports were not so hot.

This is not a hate Zach post, because I don't but I'm not going to make up sh*t to make him look better than he actually plays kind of like people did the end of last year when they said he limited his Int's (which is great) but he did little to nothing else other than the Tampa game.

When you talk about improvement of a QB it has to be across the board. Throwing 1 Int the last 7 games is good .... Throwing 5 TD's over that same period and barely scratching 250 yards is not good his QBR was terrible and he played NOT to throw Int's your aggressive QB turned passive yet nothing is said about that. So either be truthful about your QB's progress or don't say anything at all.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Coffee Is Great said:

It's been five years since Flacco started double-digit games in this league. He's 6-16 as a starter since then. The only way we're winning games with him is if our OL/run game is one of the best in the league. 

You can say this about any QB since that's what this offense is based on .

I hope Flacco is this years Vinny T, would be awesome, but I think a lot of people are setting themselves up for disappointment with Flacco. Im glad to see he is looking good in practice, and that is great and all, but he hasnt been a starter in a few years and hes 37, not 31, and when the game speed is real we will get a much better feel for this. Would be great, but I think a lot of people are getting ahead of themselves.

On 8/20/2022 at 3:38 AM, Jet Nut said:

Please with this nonsense.  I don’t want him to fail I want him to win every game he plays.  Has nothing to do with I just want our #2 pick to play and develop.  If you can’t see the difference, sorry

I wish everyone was as smart as you and understood the difference between believing a QB stinks and wanting him to fail!

4 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Because he's proven to be a good QB who has played great at times during his career and won a SB. He looks to be in good shape and quite capable of running this type of offense.

As for the 3 seasons Flacco has not won a game that's a dumb argument since he was not brought in to start in any capacity and its certainly not easy to come in and produce with players you have little experience or practice with. He didn't win because the team was bad especially the defense. 

Obviously we would all love to see Wilson become a good QB but as of right now Flacco will probably be starting game 1. Yes he's 37 and its obvious he's no long term answer but this team needs stability right now more than anything. They need to know they can produce and win and maybe Flacco provides that for a few games and gives us a good barometer of what we need to expect when Zach comes back. If Flacco steps in and runs this offense really well in Zach's absence there is absolutely no reason why Zach can't do the same when he gets back. If he starts showing the same tendencies and bad play when he does come back there needs to be some questions asked about his future. I hope it does not come to that but you just can't turn away from this stuff ...The kid will need to produce

I understand, 100% why he probably is going to start opening day.  
But I do not get why those who criticized JD for getting Flacco in the first place, who recited his lack of wins now want him keeping the job if he manages the offense