Credit to Joe Douglas

Bronx

5 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I never saw it that way.... padded stats in games that didn't matter is what I remember most. Then after he hit the lotto?  He looked like Becton. Fatter and slower.

We all know that Becton played his last game as a JET at the beginning of 2021.

Never to be seen again  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Bronx said:

For not extending Fant. 

Part of me says it was luck, but I still say JD held ground. Nevertheless, the OL is a true sh*t-show.

Thank you Joe Dick, thank you!

While extending JFM at a ridiculous rate when nobody wanted him. 

JD is part of the problem. Only thing saving him is his potentially excellent 2022 draft and a decent 2021 draft. When you pick 3 players in the first round, you better have a good draft to begin with. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

18 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

JD is part of the problem. Only thing saving him is his potentially excellent 2022 draft and a decent 2021 draft. When you pick 3 players in the first round, you better have a good draft to begin with. 

Uh, the 2001 St Louis Rams and 2013 Minnesota Vikings didn’t despite having 3 1st round picks in those respective drafts. What defines “a good draft?”

6 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Uh, the 2001 St Louis Rams and 2013 Minnesota Vikings didn’t despite having 3 1st round picks in those respective drafts. What defines “a good draft?”

To me...  a good draft is your players are contributing.  No Mims, Bectons etc.  Take our 2009 draft as an example.  Sanchez, Greene, Slauson. None were "great" but I'd argue that Greene and Slauson over delivered for where they were picked. Mark...  well, we did go to the playoffs with him 2 times.  Was it great?  No.  

8 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

For starters, when you have 4 picks in the top 50, you are expected to draft at least 3 quality starters. That’s just the minimum expectations. Take the Shaun Ellis draft for example. We had 4 first rounders and made good use of it with 3 solid starters from those 4. 

75% of JD's evaluation as a GM will come down to the success (or lack of it) of his handpicked QB, Zach Wilson, and his handpicked HC, Robert Saleh.  Drafting a Sauce, a Wilson, etc. could turn out to be positives (which they should when using premium picks like #4 and #10) but those are footnotes compared to the major decisions that truly influence the success of the team, coaching and QB play.

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

75% of JD's evaluation as a GM will come down to the success (or lack of it) of his handpicked QB, Zach Wilson, and his handpicked HC, Robert Saleh.  Drafting a Sauce, a Wilson, etc. could turn out to be positives (which they should when using premium picks like #4 and #10) but those are footnotes compared to the major decisions that truly influence the success of the team, coaching and QB play.

Has any GM been able to pick a 2nd QB and HC? Especially with a losing record? I know Roseman has picked a few HC's but they were at least winning somewhat. 

13 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Has any GM been able to pick a 2nd QB and HC? Especially with a losing record? I know Roseman has picked a few HC's but they were at least winning somewhat. 

True about Roseman.  Wentz looked good early.  The move to pivot to Jalen Hurts has worked out.  The Doug Pederson fiasco wasn't a good look because Pederson was right, he didn't want Wentz.  It's working out well with Siriani though in Philly.

JD is on his first HC and QB that he's chosen.  He can't fail with both.  If coaching was great and Zach is a bust then JD would probably get a shot at another QB if the rest of the roster has improved.  Likewise, if Saleh is a whiff but Zach looks like the real deal in Year 2 then JD probably gets to hire a new coach.  BUT, can't go 0 for 2 on these guys.  That gets you shown the door.

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

True about Roseman.  Wentz looked good early.  The move to pivot to Jalen Hurts has worked out.  The Doug Pederson fiasco wasn't a good look because Pederson was right, he didn't want Wentz.  It's working out well with Siriani though in Philly.

JD is on his first HC and QB that he's chosen.  He can't fail with both.  If coaching was great and Zach is a bust then JD would probably get a shot at another QB if the rest of the roster has improved.  Likewise, if Saleh is a whiff but Zach looks like the real deal in Year 2 then JD probably gets to hire a new coach.  BUT, can't go 0 for 2 on these guys.  That gets you shown the door.

If Wilson looks like the real deal but the defense is brutal, do we think there's a chance LaFleur gets the HC job and told to bring in a new staff? Gets the Jets continuity with the offensive system, he's theoretically a coach on the rise which would be confirmed if the offense is good, and with his brother's success in Green Bay and his ties to the offensive system that seems to be running the league in various forms - but he's put his own twist on - I'm not sure anyone would really bat an eye. Imagine he's getting a job at some point unless he falls flat on his face.

Building upon that, the Staley/Fangio defensive tree seems to be the one that's going around the league in various forms. Picking a defensive guy from that tree, whether it's DC under Saleh or DC under LaFleur, would make sense.

Of course if things go south on offense and defense very feasible they clean house. I still think some blame lays with Douglas. Don't like the way he's handled the front on either side of the ball. At least the receivers and corners look better though.

35 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I looked some more. Jason Licht of the Bucs is a lucky SOB. He went from Lovie Smith and then hired Dirk Koetter. And finished 4th in the NFC South every year under those two. Then hired Arians. 

So yeah, some make it through. I feel like JD would survive and get a 2nd shot at another HC. I honestly don't think he's a bad GM but who the hell knows.

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I looked some more. Jason Licht of the Bucs is a lucky SOB. He went from Lovie Smith and then hired Dirk Koetter. And finished 4th in the NFC South every year under those two. Then hired Arians. 

So yeah, some make it through. I feel like JD would survive and get a 2nd shot at another HC. I honestly don't think he's a bad GM but who the hell knows.

Good GMs have whiffed on QBs.  The interesting thing is the opposite.  There are probably some bad GMs out there who simply had lightning strike, got a great QB, and have ridden him for a decade and masking his mediocrity as a GM.  Just thinking out loud but how good was the Atlanta GM who rode Matt Ryan for a decade and only has one Super Bowl appearance to show for it?  I don't know.

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Good GMs have whiffed on QBs.  The interesting thing is the opposite.  There are probably some bad GMs out there who simply had lightning strike, got a great QB, and have ridden him for a decade and masking his mediocrity as a GM.  Just thinking out loud but how good was the Atlanta GM who rode Matt Ryan for a decade and only has one Super Bowl appearance to show for it?  I don't know.

Well, that's why I'd rather hang on to JD. He's not perfect but he's shown more promise then I've seen in a long time with this team. Now lightning just has to strike! 

47 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Well, that's why I'd rather hang on to JD. He's not perfect but he's shown more promise then I've seen in a long time with this team. Now lightning just has to strike! 

I agree.  If every GM who whiffs on a QB or a HC is immediately fired then in a lot of cases you may be throwing away a competent GM who simply struck out at the plate once or twice.

6 hours ago, Claymation said:

Three tackles went to the IR, does any team have a contingency plan that involves an All-Pro as their 5th OT?

Bad take, it’s obvious to anyone Becton wasn’t fit at best, at worst is fat lazy unmotivated bust. He should have reacted a lot sooner.

He waited until every option was gone then signed Brown a 37 year old fossil to play left tackle. He then  moved Fant from LT to RT, then back to LT. He’s not resigning and will be shut down the rest of the year.

We are looking at a 4 Win season and total mismanagement of line going back to when JD started.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Bill Polian with Colts in 1998 hired Jim Mora as HC and drafted QB P. Manning.

2002 - Hired Tony Dungy as HC and drafted QB Jim Sorgi in 2004

Won SuperBowl as GM of Colts in 2006

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Bill Polian with Colts in 1998 hired Jim Mora as HC and drafted QB P. Manning.

2002 - Hired Tony Dungy as HC and drafted QB Jim Sorgi in 2004

Won SuperBowl as GM of Colts in 2006

Like we said, if you get dumb luck and hit on a QB. It’s a lot easier to forgive the bad you do as a Gm. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/27/2022 at 11:28 AM, Bronx said:

For not extending Fant. 

Part of me says it was luck, but I still say JD held ground. Nevertheless, the OL is a true sh*t-show.

Thank you Joe Dick, thank you!

Let me guess.  He is saving money/cap to up Becton's deal... After all, he was JD's hand-picked first rounder

• Upvote 1