A little comparison for your entertainment.

Alka

16 minutes ago, Alka said:

Rex Ryan-  History of his defensive Rankings in his 12 seasons in the NFL

His defenses have finished in the top 10 in yards allowed 9 times in 12 seasons.

They've finished in the top 10 in rushing yards allowed 8 times, and in the top 10 in passing yards allowed 8 times, as well.

His defenses have finished in the top 10 in points allowed 5 times.

Robert Saleh- History of his defensive rankings last season and so far this season.

His defense ranked dead last #32 last year in total defense in 2021.

But let's look further, shall we?

Total defense of 49ers under Robert Sales:

2017- #25 in total defense.

2018- #28 in total defense

2019- #8 in total defense

2020- #17 in total defense.

After defensive Coordinator Demo Ryans took over last season, he got the 49ers to #9 in total defense, up from #17 the year before under Saleh.

So far, the Jets rank #25 overall in defense in 2022.

When you start looking at the numbers, if you're scratching your head as to what prompted Joe Douglas and Woody Johnson to hire Robert Saleh in the first place, you are not alone.  I'm right there with you.

@Joe W. Namath Fault. They obviously read his post ,

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Rex inherited a talented team and Saleh inherited sh*t. I’m concerned about Saleh but these comparisons to Rex are apples and oranges 
They also poured draft and FA resources into Rex's defense, while neglecting the offense.

Rex and Saleh were both hired to be head coaches, not defensive coordinators. Being strong on one side of the ball, at the expense of the other, it's not part of the job. Especially as the league was going on the opposite direction.

I'm not defending Saleh above - i just can't understand the obsession with a head coach who has won nothing in his two stints in the league.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 2

30 minutes ago, jamesr said:

They also poured draft and FA resources into Rex's defense, while neglecting the offense.

Rex and Saleh were both hired to be head coaches, not defensive coordinators. Being strong on one side of the ball, at the expense of the other, it's not part of the job. Especially as the league was going on the opposite direction.

I'm not defending Saleh above - i just can't understand the obsession with a head coach who has won nothing in his two stints in the league.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I think you make a good argument, but I'm not sold.  Then, when you talk about the obsession with a head coach who has won nothing?  Really?  2 back to back AFC Championship games is not nothing, at least in my eyes.  And we beat the Patriots against Tom Brady in their home stadium to get to the AFC Championship one of those years, is probably the happiest that I have been a Jets fan in my lifetime.

But again, your argument is reasonable, minus the knock on Rex with having 2 AFC Championship games.

• Sympathy 3

Smoke and mirrors Rex Ryan.  If jet fans need to hang onto something, 1998 is the season.  That was a real football team with a legitimate shot to win a super bowl.

The rex ryan teams were smoke and mirrors, were never very good, got lucky in many situations and never had a real chance to win anything.

Then rex ran them into the ground.

• Thumb Down 10
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Smoke and mirrors Rex Ryan.  If jet fans need to hang onto something, 1998 is the season.  That was a real football team with a legitimate shot to win a super bowl.

The rex ryan teams were smoke and mirrors, were never very good, got lucky in many situations and never had a real chance to win anything.

Back to back AFC Championship games is smoke and mirrors?  Beating the Patriots and Tom Brady in the playoffs at their home stadium to get to the AFC Championship game, smoke and mirrors? Sorry, I feel completely opposite of you on this.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

******* joke.  98 was the smoke and mirrors. A 37 year old turnover machine has the year of his life.  A team built and D and a running game spitting the balll up like they were allergic.  Rex did more tthrough 2011 than that (other) fat **** did.

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Alka said:

Back to back AFC Championship games is smoke and mirrors?  Beating the Patriots and Tom Brady in the playoffs at their home stadium to get to the AFC Championship game, smoke and mirrors? Sorry, I feel completely opposite of you on this.

Yes, heck rex grossman got to a super bowl.  An average at best giants team actually won a super bowl.  Even last year you saw an ok bengals team get to the super bowl.

Rex’s teams were smoke and mirrors.  Had a terrible qb, got lucky and never had a real chance at winning anything.

Heck they didnt even win a division.

Jets fans hold this rex ryan era in such high regard.  He never won anything.

The last great Jet team was 1998.  Rex ryan was smoke and mirrors.

• WTF? 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

******* joke.  98 was the smoke and mirrors. A 37 year old turnover machine has the year of his life.  A team built and D and a running game spitting the balll up like they were allergic.  Rex did more tthrough 2011 than that (other) fat **** did.

He should pay you hourly to answer his posts, 

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Yes, such a joke they were favorites to win the Super Bowl in 99.

The 1998 team was smoke and mirrors???  My goodness.

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yes, heck rex grossman got to a super bowl.  An average at best giants team actually won a super bowl.  Even last year you saw an ok bengals team get to the super bowl.

Rex’s teams were smoke and mirrors.  Had a terrible qb, got lucky and never had a real chance at winning anything.

Heck they didnt even win a division.

Jets fans hold this rex ryan era in such high regard.  He never won anything.

The last great Jet team was 1998.  Rex ryan was smoke and mirrors.

I’m about ready to end this right now. 

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Listen I have questions about Saleh but just doing a straight comparison with numbers is dumb. 

Also I think they hired Saleh more for his leadership and ability to be an overall HC and not because he was a top coordinator. 

He's not a top anything though. I think the point is that 'defensive guru' or whatever wasn't earned, just repeated. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

His defenses have finished in the top 10 in yards allowed 9 times in 12 seasons.

They've finished in the top 10 in rushing yards allowed 8 times, and in the top 10 in passing yards allowed 8 times, as well.

Robert Saleh- History of his defensive rankings last season and so far this season.

After defensive Coordinator Demo Ryans took over last season, he got the 49ers to #9 in total defense, up from #17 the year before under Saleh.

When you start looking at the numbers, if you're scratching your head as to what prompted Joe Douglas and Woody Johnson to hire Robert Saleh in the first place, you are not alone.  I'm right there with you.

The three P's 

Platitudes, Persona and a Plan (which may have been a dumb af plan)

Dont get me wrong.  I loved those teams in those years.  But looking back now, i can see it for what it was.  It was spend, spend, spend, go all in with 0 plan for sustained success.

I mean the first year, rex told his players they were eliminated from the playoffs.  Only to realize the next day they were still in it.  Hahahaha.

Come on guys, these werent great football teams.  We had mark sanchez at qb.

I am just saying, if we are going to go back to a great football team that had a real chance to win a super bowl, it was the 1998 jets team.  And 1999 would have been even better if not for jimmy hoffa.

28 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

Check out the injuries Saleh dealt with in 2020…

Saleh sucks. 

I’m tired of his lame a** excuses and his corny motivational quotes. 

He’s in way over his head and I will keeping thinking that until proven otherwise. 

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Interesting take… 

larry david television GIF

26 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

He's not a top anything though. I think the point is that 'defensive guru' or whatever wasn't earned, just repeated. 

I'm always leery of platitudes like "guru".  The last one we had was the imbecile Gase, the "offense guru" or "QB whisperer".  Incredible.  Literally.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Dont get me wrong.  I loved those teams in those years.  But looking back now, i can see it for what it was.  It was spend, spend, spend, go all in with 0 plan for sustained success.

I mean the first year, rex told his players they were eliminated from the playoffs.  Only to realize the next day they were still in it.  Hahahaha.

I am just saying, if we are going to go back to a great football team that had a real chance to win a super bowl, it was the 1998 jets team.  And 1999 would have been even better if not for jimmy hoffa.

So you're willing to suspend your disbelief for Saleh who has done absolutely nothing to earn it except he's our HC.

Rex gave us 2 spectacular seasons and stats wise always a good defense despite his GM's destruction of the roster.  Pretty sad Joe W.  :(   

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

that Bill parcells succession plan really worked out well                                  

5 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I'm always leery of platitudes like "guru".  The last one we had was the imbecile Gase, the "offense guru" or "QB whisperer".  Incredible.  Literally.

Yeah, we gotta thank Peyton Manning for that one.  

The only thing Gase was the Guru of was smelling salts. 

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

So you're willing to suspend your disbelief for Saleh who has done absolutely nothing to earn it except he's our HC.

Rex gave us 2 spectacular seasons and stats wise always a good defense despite his GM's destruction of the roster.  Pretty sad Joe W.  :(   

Again, I enjoyed those 2 rex ryan years.  I just dont hold it in high regard like alot of you do.  Thats the 98 team for me.

In regards to Saleh, lets see what this team looks like the next 14 games now that he has his starting qb back.  Patience fellas.  Lots of football left.

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Listen I have questions about Saleh but just doing a straight comparison with numbers is dumb. 

Also I think they hired Saleh more for his leadership and ability to be an overall HC and not because he was a top coordinator. 

Math never lies.

16 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

The Jets were good in 2010.  2009 was a gift. The Jets made the playoffs because the undefeated Colts benched Manning with about 20 minutes to go in week 16 (not week 17) with the Colts leading 15-10.  The Jets then abused Curtis Painter and scored a defensive TD on a fumble and inercepted him as well. The playoff wins were earned, but the playoff berth was arguably not.

Ryan was a good defensive coach, but the Jets offenses under him were terrible and as the rules changed favoring the passing game, Ryan played an obsolete offense that could not keep up with the rest of the NFL. Had the Jets put a decent offense on the field in 2009 and 2010, the Jets may have won a Super Bowl.  Instead, the offense was "ground and pound" more suited for the 1970s.   After 2010, Ryan never had another winning season and never sniffed the playoffs in 6 years of coaching. Plus, his bombastic persona is what led to the Jets animus we still experience today.  2010 was 12 years ago. Ryan is 60.  He is not a viable NFL coaching candidate and has not been one for a long time. Can we just let it go?  

2 hours ago, Alka said:

Was an emotional pick... don't look at stats, numbers confuse Woody and Chris.

• Sympathy 1