New York Mets 2023 Thread (LFGM)

Scott Dierking

So the Mets today traded Escobar to the Angels for two AA pitching prospects not top tier guys in their org but reportedly pitchers the Mets rated highly. I'm a fan of Escobar who handled losing his job to Baty well Lindor called him one of his all time best teammates. Escobar is a very good defensive player plus he carried the Mets offensively last Sept. In 2022 for the season he hit .240 20-69. So far this year he was hitting .236 with 4-16 but only 110 ABs. Actually Baty in 173 ABs hitting .237 4-20 so he didn't really beat Escobar out in terms of offensive production and Escobar the better fielder. Also Mets are paying most of his salary. 

9 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

So the Mets today traded Escobar to the Angels for two AA pitching prospects not top tier guys in their org but reportedly pitchers the Mets rated highly. I'm a fan of Escobar who handled losing his job to Baty well Lindor called him one of his all time best teammates. I'm a fan of Escobar who is a very good defensive player plus he carried the Mets offensively last Sept. In 2022 for the season he hit .240 20-69. So far this year he was hitting .236 with 4-16 but only 110 ABs. Actually Baty in 173 ABs hitting .237 4-20 so he didn't really beat Escobar out in terms of offensive production and Escobar the better fielder. Also Mets are paying most of his salary. 

The one from LSU is legit. Kid's going to be a starter in a couple years. I like Escobar but for a backup 3b it's a good move to make. Everyone liked Escobar but he's not a necessary piece and his value is only going to diminish more as the season progresses.

Getting back to the Escobar trade and the Angels. They've had injuries to infielders including Rendon. But in addition to trading for Escobar they also obtained Daniel Murphy a few weeks ago who had been playing for the LI Ducks. I checked and they still haven't brought him up to their MLB roster he's presently at Salt Lake (AAA) hitting .259. And then yesterday they traded for Mike Moustakas so that's a lot of recent deals for experienced infielders. 

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Getting back to the Escobar trade and the Angels. They've had injuries to infielders including Rendon. But in addition to trading for Escobar they also obtained Daniel Murphy a few weeks ago who had been playing for the LI Ducks. I checked and they still haven't brought him up to their MLB roster he's presently at Salt Lake (AAA) hitting .259. And then yesterday they traded for Mike Moustakas so that's a lot of recent deals for experienced infielders. 

Veteran bats in case they sneak into the playoffs after moving Ohtani.

Look if you watched today's game and if you follow baseball in general there's one theory I'll offer and it's this: relief pitching is the most difficult position in all of sports. And gives players the highest amount of pressure. It's also underrated in terms of salary. The Mets gave  Diaz a 20 million per season contract after last season and some squawked but it was a smart move by the Mets because of how effective Diaz was last year. He was the best closer in MLB and their record would have been a lot worse without him. You might say goalie is the hardest most pressure position in sports, good argument or even Qb. But just look at the players who blew that lead today for the Mets. They are big arms some can throw 100 mph very capable of getting batters out but look what happened under pressure. You can say well the Phillies closer Kimbrall who is having a good year didn't blow the game and you're right. But you've seen a lot of it even in the past from Kimbrall going into a game for just a few batters or an inning and blowing leads. So IMO smart GMs start building via the bullpen if you can't hold onto a lead you're not going to win games. 

I read one story on a sports website not a crazy one with speculation the Mets who are 7 under .500 are considering being sellers. And get this: they're rumored to be considering trading Scherzer to the Reds and Marte to the Yankees. I don't put much into this although if the Mets think they're out of it getting rid of some of the Scherzer salary could make a lot of sense. I guess Mets will give it another month before they decide to fold the tent esp after teams like Braves and Phillies in past two season had slow starts came back to be in WS. 

I read one story on a sports website not a crazy one with speculation the Mets who are 7 under .500 are considering being sellers. And get this: they're rumored to be considering trading Scherzer to the Reds and Marte to the Yankees. I don't put much into this although if the Mets think they're out of it getting rid of some of the Scherzer salary could make a lot of sense. I guess Mets will give it another month before they decide to fold the tent esp after teams like Braves and Phillies in past two season had slow starts came back to be in WS. 
The Mets are cooked. No chance at the post season. Get what you can.

Well the Mets owner is willing to be a huge spender and if he can buy a championship. I'm not a fan of that I like even competition not being able to buy Ws. So is there a point when he's willing to back off and sell assets if the team is desperately out of it. I don't think the Mets have reached that point yet just look at the Phillies last year and Atlanta 2 years ago. And will he fire Buck. Pretty much known as a very good manager but this year unable to motivate this team. Maybe the key to this season was the Diaz injury. Right now the Mets are scoring runs and mostly losing because of really bad pitching. They get rid of guys and make deals for pitchers other teams got rid of. 

Well the Mets owner is willing to be a huge spender and if he can buy a championship. I'm not a fan of that I like even competition not being able to buy Ws. So is there a point when he's willing to back off and sell assets if the team is desperately out of it. I don't think the Mets have reached that point yet just look at the Phillies last year and Atlanta 2 years ago. And will he fire Buck. Pretty much known as a very good manager but this year unable to motivate this team. Maybe the key to this season was the Diaz injury. Right now the Mets are scoring runs and mostly losing because of really bad pitching. They get rid of guys and make deals for pitchers other teams got rid of. 
Reminds me of mid 80's Yankees.

The Mets lost another game tonight and 3 out of 4 home games vs the Brewers. It was another close game but they're in a severe slump when they can't do things needed to win. Even Alvarez dropped a foul pop right to him. I've seen these kind of stretches by teams a lot of times like the second half of the 2022 season for the Jets. It looks like there's no way out. I think things will get better and they will put together a winning streak when everything they do works. You have to think players like Lindor and McNeil will have better second halves. But let's face it they are 9 under and don't look good enough esp pitching to put together the kind of record needed to make the playoffs. 

The good news - June is over.  7 wins in the month of June.  Won back to back games once all month.

The bad news. I can't think of a good reason to expect better over the next month.  Except maybe regression to the mean. 

At least we have training camp to look forward to this month.  And baseball won't get in the way of my watching the Tour de France every day for the next three weeks, although I doubt anyone on this site other than me cares about that.  The Vingegaard-Pogacar battles in the Alps should be epic.

Mets are in a really bad spot here. They have 3-4 guys who could bring back a haul of good prospects which we desperately need, as well as guys who could help right now. Alonso, McNeil, Marte and Scherzer for starters. The fly in the ointment is that if Cohen truly wants to bring in Stearns at the end of the year to run this place, you probably can’t blow it up by trading the guys mentioned above before he would take over. That might cause him to not even want to discuss the opportunity.We can probably make some minor moves but nothing that would shake  the place to its core. Looks like 3 more months of watching these uninspired bums go through the motions.

Look if the Mets fire Buck and they probably will if they keep losing esp after the owner opened up his checkbook and has the highest payroll in MLB. What a difference from the previous owners. But if he can no longer win regularly and motivate his players don't get rid of him. He's famous for this rebuilding orgs but not winning the big prize and after he leaves his teams win it all or at least turn it around. He even did it with an expansion team and after he left they beat the Yankees in the WS. He knows personnel real well. I'd promote him to the front office maybe in charge of it he could be another Gene Michael. 

23 hours ago, Maxman said:

I can't even imagine what he will get as a free agent. 700 million plus?

I think 700 is realistic if he is open to east coast suitors. Under 700 if not because there are only 3 (probably more like 2 at this point) teams that can really afford him in the west.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

In case you haven't noticed, and judging by the attendance you haven't, the Mets have managed to win a few here and there, and are threatening to climb out of the cellar.

Mets never were in the cellar, but it is nice to see a little life. If you haven't yet, watch the videos of Gary's calls in the 9th yesterday with him on the booth cam. By far he is the best play by play guy in this sport. 

Remember when it was asked in this thread if anyone sees anything special in Alvarez? Think the Mets have found their catcher.

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I’m not getting duped this time!

4 game win streak and 18 games out of 1st place doesnt get you super duper excited about this over paid rag tag bunch of uninspired sh*t heads?  WOW!  What's wrong w/ you?  Hater.

• Haha 4