Will We Ever Get Our Mahomes, Allen, Burrow?...

3 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Personally I think our best bet is going to be a year where we have committed to drafting a QB in the 1st that, by the grace of god, turns out to be one of those Gold-QB drafts.  Like '04 with Eli, Rivers, Big Ben; or 2020 with Burrow, Tua, Herbert.  A draft where, if you're picking early, you can't go wrong.  

I feel like this was the 2018 draft though. All we heard was how Darnold was the most NFL ready QB, and no matter who they took out of Mayfield, Darnold, or Allen, it wasn’t going to be a miss.

Maybe I am misremembering, but I just remember thinking Darnold is guaranteed to at least be a mid tier QB. No way he could be a bust

It's the Jets....we'll eventually have a bad enough season to pick high enough to get a guy....here's two even more important questions: 

1. Will we have people in place that know what they're looking at and will scout correctly to find a QB?

2. Will we have an organizational plan in place to develop this guy into a franchise QB? This includes hiring the right coaches around him, developing a scheme around him, developing a plan of when he will start his 1st game, making sure everyone is on the same page in developing him, and building an OL to protect him/bringing in weapons for him to throw to. 

These are the 2 questions the Jets have massively failed at for decades, and largely why we don't have a QB. 

On 1/7/2023 at 4:15 PM, jetswinbaby! said:

I've been waiting 50 years...

I don't have 50 more...

Namath was a long time ago...

tenor.gif?itemid=15516507

2 of those 3 were on the board when we picked.   THAT speaks volumes.  There’s a reason we haven't had a franchise QB since #12.  

BTW… didn’t have you pegged to be such an old Fukk like me. ? The Avatar mislead me. 

A GM/scout really has to evaluate these QBs wholistically.  

Josh Allen had a combination of awesome athleticism, being smart enough, being competitive and being a good overall dude.  He worked at it, got coached up and became great. 

Mahomes had many of the same qualities and had Andy Reid, Kafka, etc. coaching him.

Darnold lacks the overall smarts and composure but has the physical skills and is athletic.  He could be an upgrade for the Jets next year and could get us to the playoffs.

Mayfield has good skills and intangibles, but is a midget.  

But the big whiff on Zach Wilson to me is his intangibles.  His comment yesterday was moronic.  I think psychologically he is a twerp and will never be able to lead a football team of poor kids and otherwise be able to process the complex NFL game.  He is a fraud.