DT Clemson

Height: 6-5 | Weight: 300 

Tyree Wilson

EDGE Texas Tech

Height: 6-6 | Weight: 276 

Noah Sewell

LB Oregon

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 251 

Over 90% of the mocks I do have these players available. Who do you think would be the best option for the Jets since there’s no OT or WR currently in the 13th area? 

All 3 of them are great prospects and could help the Jets defense. Personally I’m leaning toward Wilson, I think he’d bring the most to the Jets. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Don't know enough about the prospects yet but all things equal, I think jets would prefer a DT next to Quinnen. So I guess Bresee?

It's hard for me to envision JD not drafting oline or dline in 1st. Both are needs and he's Mr. Line of Scrimmage. 

Having Q and Bresee next to each other could be a nasty pair and if they give Q an extension the two could be together for 4 years or so. I was thinking the same with Wilson though and having him on the end with Q at DT would also be nasty.

Not Sewell. Off ball linebackers have a pretty rough recent track record in the first, thirteen is really high for one anyway, and I think Sewell fell this year instead of rising. Actually not sure he’s a first round pick, not sure he’s even a second round pick as an off ball linebacker without much splash play production.

Bresee probably fills the bigger need, Wilson plays the more impactful position. I’d lean Bresee as an early declare since Wilson is a little raw and older too, but it’s pretty much a coin toss.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, derp said:

Not Sewell. Off ball linebackers have a pretty rough recent track record in the first, thirteen is really high for one anyway, and I think Sewell fell this year instead of rising. Actually not sure he’s a first round pick, not sure he’s even a second round pick as an off ball linebacker without much splash play production.

Bresee probably fills the bigger need, Wilson plays the more impactful position. I’d lean Bresee as an early declare since Wilson is a little raw and older too, but it’s pretty much a coin toss.

I can’t see Sewell making it out of the first much less the second. 

Yeah most mocks I've seen have Sewell going in the 2nd.  Even still, there looks like there will be a good number of solid LB prospects available in the 3rd, maybe even the 4th.  In this scenario I'd probably lean towards Wilson.  Not to say I don't think JJ can be a great pass rusher for us, but I'd rather take my chances with two of those guys.  Best case, they both hit, you can look to sell one off at some point.  

But yeah, ideally we're looking at OT in this spot.  Either that, trading down, Brian Branch, or Trenton Simpson if I'm really feeling swirly that day.  

16 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I can’t see Sewell making it out of the first much less the second. 

Why's he going in the first? Linebackers fall all the time. He's an oversized player at a non premium position whose production wasn't impressive last year. Especially at linebacker you need to show you can take the ball away or sack the quarterback to go justify going early because the position's not that heavily valued.

I see him 38th on a consensus big board and big boards lag. He didn't have a great junior year, I'd venture consensus has him lower than that in a month or two.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, derp said:

Why's he going in the first? Linebackers fall all the time. He's an oversized player at a non premium position whose production wasn't impressive last year. Especially at linebacker you need to show you can take the ball away or sack the quarterback to go justify going early because the position's not that heavily valued.

I see him 38th on a consensus big board and big boards lag. He didn't have a great junior year, I'd venture consensus has him lower than that in a month or two.

It’s going to depend on the combined. If he has good numbers he’s going in the first. 

7 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

It’s going to depend on the combined. If he has good numbers he’s going in the first. 

Linebacker combine numbers don’t matter as much as a position like edge, instincts are a much bigger deal. They sometimes push guys up, but that’s why the hit rate is low. Would be a monumentally disappointing pick at 13.

58 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I don’t want him at 13. I’d take Wilson. 

As I said in my original post I lean Bresee but I think it's pretty much a coin toss between him and Wilson, I just don't think Sewell should be part of the conversation. Not a fan of off ball linebacker that high anyway but he's probably the third off ball linebacker off the board at best.

3 hours ago, derp said:

As I said in my original post I lean Bresee but I think it's pretty much a coin toss between him and Wilson, I just don't think Sewell should be part of the conversation. Not a fan of off ball linebacker that high anyway but he's probably the third off ball linebacker off the board at best.

The early LB picks in recent years have been brutal. White on the Bucs, the guy the Steelers picked, etc. 

8 minutes ago, maury77 said:

The early LB picks in recent years have been brutal. White on the Bucs, the guy the Steelers picked, etc. 

Absolutely. I (yet again) don’t want defense, but I could justify DL as a premium spot. Safety I have mixed feelings about but I’d rather avoid. Corner isn’t a need, and linebacker is a no no. 

Honestly this feels like a year they aren’t going to be picking in the first.

• Upvote 1

This defense needs a fast LB who can help cover the middle of the field and I dont think Sewell is that guy. To me he seems like he is going to be slow for todays NFL if he is in a 4-3, he likely needs to be a 3-4 ILB and that is a huge risk, especially at 13. 

Drew Sanders is an interesting prospect for us in the second round.  He was an edge rusher at alabama before transferring to arkansas where be played his last season as an off-ball OLB.  Really athletic who is learning to cover but who can clearly rush the passer as a former edge guy.  Really like his upside.

As much as i want to take defense I dont see us drafting another edge guy and there arent any difference making safeties or DTs who are in the 13-25 range.   I think we just take OL and focus on need in the other rounds

On 1/19/2023 at 3:54 AM, New York Mick said:

Bryan Bresee

DT Clemson

Height: 6-5 | Weight: 300 

Tyree Wilson

EDGE Texas Tech

Height: 6-6 | Weight: 276 

Noah Sewell

LB Oregon

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 251 

Over 90% of the mocks I do have these players available. Who do you think would be the best option for the Jets since there’s no OT or WR currently in the 13th area? 

All 3 of them are great prospects and could help the Jets defense. Personally I’m leaning toward Wilson, I think he’d bring the most to the Jets. 

The Jets FO seems to love to have names that are the same (or similar) to other players on the team (Breece/Bryce, MC/MC2, Quinnen and Quincy Williams, CJ Mosley/CJ Uzomah, etc).  Therefore, I'm guessing Wilson will be the pick.

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The Jets FO seems to love to have names that are the same (or similar) to other players on the team (Breece/Bryce, MC/MC2, Quinnen and Quincy Williams, CJ Mosley/CJ Uzomah, etc).  Therefore, I'm guessing Wilson will be the pick.

Bresee, Breece, Bryce, Bryce!

Obviously not Sewell because they passed on Penai

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, maury77 said:

Micah Parsons wasn't too bad though.  But yeah, LB would be a few spots down on my list for 1st round candidates.  OT or trade down would be at the top.  

• Upvote 1

I predict a trade back unless their is an OT they love at 13. But, at this point it seems Paris Johnson will be off the board and the next best OT will be a reach at 13. So, I think as temping as Breese might be, the prospect of 2 premier DTs along with the requirement to pay both is simply not a good roster construction strategy when there are a few very particular holes to fill. Particularly when the concept that filling those holes (O line and free safety) results in a playoff roster is the predominant thinking over at One Jets Drive. So, trade back and pick an OT. 

1 hour ago, bonkertons said:

Micah Parsons wasn't too bad though.  But yeah, LB would be a few spots down on my list for 1st round candidates.  OT or trade down would be at the top.  

Agreed, but I view Parsons as more of an edge rusher than an off ball LB. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, maury77 said:

He'd be similar to a Drew Sanders in this draft for me.  Speaking of which though, if he's there in the 2nd I snatch him up real quick.  Walking away with a starting OT in the 1st and Sanders in the 2nd would be an absolute home run IMO.  Take your FS in the 3rd, WR in the 4th, development C in the 5th and then whatever depth you want in the 6th(or a project QB).  I'd sign up for that right now.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

This defense needs a fast LB who can help cover the middle of the field and I dont think Sewell is that guy. To me he seems like he is going to be slow for todays NFL if he is in a 4-3, he likely needs to be a 3-4 ILB and that is a huge risk, especially at 13. 

Drew Sanders is an interesting prospect for us in the second round.  He was an edge rusher at alabama before transferring to arkansas where be played his last season as an off-ball OLB.  Really athletic who is learning to cover but who can clearly rush the passer as a former edge guy.  Really like his upside.

As much as i want to take defense I dont see us drafting another edge guy and there arent any difference making safeties or DTs who are in the 13-25 range.   I think we just take OL and focus on need in the other rounds

The issue is, there isn’t any offensive tackles available at that spot that’s why I posted those names. The other names available are cornerbacks, running backs. and IOL. 

8 hours ago, bonkertons said:

He'd be similar to a Drew Sanders in this draft for me.  Speaking of which though, if he's there in the 2nd I snatch him up real quick.  Walking away with a starting OT in the 1st and Sanders in the 2nd would be an absolute home run IMO.  Take your FS in the 3rd, WR in the 4th, development C in the 5th and then whatever depth you want in the 6th(or a project QB).  I'd sign up for that right now.

I’m not sure there’s a football player on the planet similar to Parsons, who’s an absolute freakshow, let alone in this draft class.

21 hours ago, maury77 said:

the thing about parsons was everyone knew going in he had the potential to be the best player in the draft maybe.  his character concerns are things that killed him.  I dont think i talked to a person that wasnt in love with the talent. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/20/2023 at 8:38 AM, BCJet said:

Tremaine Edmunds from the Bills fits the LB who can cover to a tee.  He’s an UFA and still young.  If we make one big splash on defense in FA, I hope it’s Edmunds.  Weaken a division rival while adding what may be the finishing piece to the defense