Plan B

Dunnie

Stafford on a cheap trade would be a possibility.

Of the remaining FA QBs, Wentz is the only one who belongs on a roster unless you think Matt Ryan has anything in the tank.  None of these choices are exciting but if the Rodgers deal somehow implodes, which I doubt, then it probably has to be one of those three guys.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Of the remaining FA QBs, Wentz is the only one who belongs on a roster unless you think Matt Ryan has anything in the tank.  None of these choices are exciting but if the Rodgers deal somehow implodes, which I doubt, then it probably has to be one of those three guys.

No Way Abandon Thread GIF

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Asymmetrical said:

Honestly the long term best thing to do would be start Zach and tank for Caleb Williams but the defense is probably too good to go 2-15. 

Only one problem with that strategy--- this is a team that has demonstrated the ability to win 7 games with statistically the worst QB's in the league.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Teams like the Jets may now look at situations like Purdy and feel they can get good QB play out of 2nd or 3rd day draft picks. Lets be honest, there would have been a lot more cases like Purdy over the past decades, but they get on teams over the years where there is a much higher draft pick that remains ahead of them on the depth chart even if that QB struggles due to draft position. We have seen that in the Jets and other teams. Many college QBs down to the end of round 7 or even undrafted can be coached and have the ability to be pretty good starters especially in such a QB starved league.

Good points.  I know it’s mostly improbable but the goat was the 199 th pick of his draft.  Of course he did out a season until Bledsoe was knocked out.  And then there are guys like Warner who was undrafted. I’m guessing someone has a list of starting QBs and their draft placement. It would be interesting to see how many current starters went after round 1.

It’s either Plan Aaron or Plan Bust. JD has shown his cards and Packers know JD has sh!t like Wilson to fall back on. That’s how great GMs roll. Now all he has to do is bend over backwards and take it like a champ from the Packers to get this deal done. The more we wait, the better it is for Packers cuz we WILL panic. 

• Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1

14 hours ago, Dunnie said:

If the Rodgers deal blows up I am sure Joe D has a Plan B.   

What do you think it is at this point now that the QB market has dried up considerably.

The way I see it these are the options ...

Stafford if you can pry him loose or any of the remaining dregs. 

So if the Jets end up with Trevor Siemian, [s]Marcus Mariota[/s], Joe Flacco or (insert your favorite backup here) .. Zach will likely be the starter.

Draft a QB ?

Lamar is fantastical nightmarish bad idea and a fantasy held by some ... which is why this could happen. 

What are your thoughts and why ?  Is there an overlooked diamond out there somewhere ?

Not sure it'll be up to Joe D.  Passing on Carr and going all in on Rodgers was a Woody Johnson mandate.  Does he take a step back if this fails and then let Joe do his thing, or does he tell Joe to go get Lamar?

• Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Or the league knows it will eventually get done and encourages both teams to take it til Hard Knocks starts in training camp so there is news all summer. Also helps Packers cap situation to wait and allows for "draft day trade rumors"

Yes this is a good take.  It's the gosh darn off season and the NFL is dominating sports media and getting plenty of play in the rest of the media as well.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, nycdan said:

JD is not trading for this contract!

image.thumb.png.fc748ca2f6ea2d65f8a82fa3a6ad91f0.png

And everyone is complaining about the Rodgers Cap hit ?

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Set the toggle to trade post June 1st.

Stafford would be on a 2 year contract at $1.5m and $31m these next 2 seasons.

If we will be waiting for the post June one cut, I would still prefer the Rogers contract. The dead money in 25 & 26 favors Rogers, and thus the Jets.
Rodgers 

image.thumb.png.56e125f6a74e30478b8eb276b8a941c5.png

Stafford

image.thumb.png.9974806b34a9d6caf0ab25d445e5e487.png

38 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

If we will be waiting for the post June one cut, I would still prefer the Rogers contract. The dead money in 25 & 26 favors Rogers, and thus the Jets.
Rodgers 

image.thumb.png.56e125f6a74e30478b8eb276b8a941c5.png

Stafford

image.thumb.png.9974806b34a9d6caf0ab25d445e5e487.png

You are looking at this the wrong way. Stafford would have no dead money in a trade. Jets would be on the hook for 2 years at $1.5m and $31m and then there would be zero dead cap after 2024.

Here is Stafford's contract when you flip your phone sideways. The guaranteed money is done in 2024. The large prorated signing bonus does not follow Stafford to the Jets and the 2025 & 2026 roster bonuses will only hit if he's actually on the roster.

Stafford, if healthy (big if), is a great option for the Jets because of his contract. In fact, if for some reason you wanted to keep Stafford beyond 2024, you'd own his rights in 2025/26 for $32m and $31m.

Screenshot_20230319_094206_Chrome~2.jpg

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

You are looking at this the wrong way. Stafford would have no dead money in a trade. Jets would be on the hook for 2 years at $1.5m and $31m and then there would be zero dead cap after 2024.

Here is Stafford's contract when you flip your phone sideways. The guaranteed money is done in 2024. The large prorated signing bonus does not follow Stafford to the Jets and the 2025 & 2026 roster bonuses will only hit if he's actually on the roster.

Stafford, if healthy (big if), is a great option for the Jets because of his contract. In fact, if for some reason you wanted to keep Stafford beyond 2024, you'd own his rights in 2025/26 for $32m and $31m.

Screenshot_20230319_094206_Chrome~2.jpg

Thanks for the info. LOL the highlighted. That was exactly what I was looking on heading out today.

I wonder what Rams are looking for in compensation..... as well as Tenn.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Thanks for the info. LOL the highlighted. That was exactly what I was looking on heading out today.

I wonder what Rams are looking for in compensation..... as well as Tenn.

Lol I figured that was probably the problem. 

Really depends on the Rams, they just paid Stafford a portion of his guaranteed money so they may want to be compensated for that amount, which would elevate the price. They'd be all in on the tank this year. (2nd round pick maybe)

If they just want a clean break then I could see a mid rounder.

I don't think we'll get to this point. Rodgers will be under center for us, but it's a fun talking point when Packers fans say we don't have other options. Cousins at 1 year $30m is probably attractive to some as well.

• Upvote 1

On 3/18/2023 at 10:59 AM, JetsFanatic said:

There is no need for a plan B. As a matter of fact, I believe the league office will start pressuring both teams to complete the deal soon because they want to schedule Rodgers and the Jets on prime time games. The schedule usually comes out mid to late April.

Great point.....never thought of that one. But you're right....Commiss hates loose ends and most likely has already reached out to both sides to finish it up, if only for the reason you stated. Good catch!

Edit: How funny would it be if the league scheduled Rogers and the Jets for like 5 prime time games, then Rogers fall thru and it's Zack Wilson on prime time all season long ???

So when these other QBs started finding new teams (Carr, G, etc) it looked bad for our Plan B. But another way to look at it is it helps our Plan A (Rogers). The more teams that find their QB, the fewer teams for Greenbay to approach for a Rogers trade (if the Jets won't overpay).

There was a rumor that Rogers only wanted to go to 2 AFC teams...Jets and one other (Saints?). But now that Saints have settled on Carr, the Packers can't get the Jets and the Saints into a bidding war. Now, it's Jets or no one.

LOL edit: Saints/Raiders