JetNation 2023 Mock Draft - Discussion

Dcat

46 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Can the mods please stop selecting good players for missed picks? 

I think all missed picks should be kickers.

I think we are getting to the point where missed picks just get the highest rated guy left on the draft spreadsheet.  Too many missed picks in this draft for us to keep having to research other team rosters and try to make decent picks for them.  

• Upvote 2

Well there goes the guy I have been watching and waiting for over the last 25 picks.  Just needed Rush to make it 7 or 8 more picks.  He was a star during Sr Bowl week, looked like he was running patterns for the receivers.  Really good pick.

And just like that, all my R4 targets are gone.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Isn't Morris more of an Edge?

Yes, are you referring to the picture I cut and pasted that said he's a linebacker? I'm not sure where that came from, perhaps his freshman year he wasn't as bulked up as he is now, and thats when that image was made. 

I definitely wanted the DT in that spot because I'm drafting to win it all in 2023, and opponents exploit the most vulnerable part of the defense, which is the interior at the LOS 

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2021/10/25/chargers-brandon-staley-run-defense-patriots/

But I couldn't pass on an Edge/DE ranked that high, he was heads and tails ahead of Pickens as a prospect, and he was the BAP. In conclusion, I have enough picks left to acquire a DT (or two). 

25 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It doesn't take long to see what a team would need and picking an actual guy that makes sense lessens the chance of the guy coming back and being bent out of shape over a pick.   I say stay with the present process.

The problem is that it is all day, every day.  Speaking for myself at least, I expect that these two weeks will be all consuming.  I keep the draft sheet and JN open on my laptop all day at work (I work from home which makes it easier) and then in the evening.  I am prepared to follow the draft, update the sheet, make changes for trades, etc.   And I am prepared to make 8-10 picks for my team.  It is what I sign up for and what I expect.  And I enjoy doing it or else I would not sign up for it every year. 

But I do not expect to have to drop what I am doing at various times during the day or evening to have to make a dozen (or more) extra picks because others either don't bother to follow the draft or don't submit a list of picks if they are going to be away for a while.  

It is not that hard to send a PM with a list of 5-6 guys if your pick is coming up.  As far as folks complaining if they don't like the pick, then don't miss your pick.  Or send a list.

This has been a frustrating draft with missed picks.  End of rant.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

@32EBoozer Wow, great pick with Moro Ojomo. He wasn't even on my radar because his overall rank (average) was skewered by Drafttek who gave him a 375 ranking. I'm gonna have to be more mindful going forward. 

Yeah, some of these rankings are crazy. Some players rated way too high, others, way to low.

I can see Ojomo in the rotation with JFM & QW, learning the game and being ready for 2024 after a full off-season program. Relentless motor.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I think we are getting to the point where missed picks just get the highest rated guy left on the draft spreadsheet.  Too many missed picks in this draft for us to keep having to research other team rosters and try to make decent picks for them.  

I think it should always be that, right from go… just like fantasy football. Making informed choices on their behalf punishes owners that are keeping up. 

Just my opinion.

• Upvote 1

I dont like using the top of the chart for missed picks.  Takes away a player someone else wants.

still think we just skip that GM and when he shows up he can select for that spot with whatever is left. That's the way I see other GM mocks work.  Maybe you don't do that in the first 3 rounds, but why not do that from round 4 forward?  The list thing just makes no sense to me.  We should at least try it.  It works elsewhere. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

The problem is that it is all day, every day.  Speaking for myself at least, I expect that these two weeks will be all consuming.  I keep the draft sheet and JN open on my laptop all day at work (I work from home which makes it easier) and then in the evening.  I am prepared to follow the draft, update the sheet, make changes for trades, etc.   And I am prepared to make 8-10 picks for my team.  It is what I sign up for and what I expect.  And I enjoy doing it or else I would not sign up for it every year. 

But I do not expect to have to drop what I am doing at various times during the day or evening to have to make a dozen (or more) extra picks because others either don't bother to follow the draft or don't submit a list of picks if they are going to be away for a while.  

It is not that hard to send a PM with a list of 5-6 guys if your pick is coming up.  As far as folks complaining if they don't like the pick, then don't miss your pick.  Or send a list.

Would probably be more headaches than it's worth, but maybe doing what the NFL does with the draft. If a card isn't turned in on time, the next team up can get to the podium and make their pick right away.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I was thinking that next year, god willing,  I might not take a team and just volunteer to make missed picks as in study team needs and be ready to go with picks for each team.  The main issue is still people not giving the mods a list of players when their pick is in site and they might get called away,

46 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I dont like using the top of the chart for missed picks.  Takes away a player someone else wants.

still think we just skip that GM and when he shows up he can select for that spot with whatever is left. That's the way I see other GM mocks work.  Maybe you don't do that in the first 3 rounds, but why not do that from round 4 forward?  The list thing just makes no sense to me.  We should at least try it.  It works elsewhere. 

Fine with me if we want to try it.  Just has to be some sort of time limit for a GM to make up the pick in case we lose anyone during the draft.  Don't want an open pick to linger too long.

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Bah, I think i have a few more doubles in the spreadsheet (which are tough to pick up when entering data.  I think lower down i have bj oularji and jl skinner listed and i know they are both gone.

Ojulari has been fixed.

This is why I stopped trying to make my own spreadsheet a few years ago and just asked for yours.  When multiple sites have player names listed slightly differently, they show up as two different names in the sheet.  And no matter how many times I would manually go through it, something always fell through the cracks.  Your sheets generally have far fewer duplicates than the ones I used to put together.

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I was thinking that next year, god willing,  I might not take a team and just volunteer to make missed picks as in study team needs and be ready to go with picks for each team.  The main issue is still people not giving the mods a list of players when their pick is in site and they might get called away,

We don't trust you!  You'll poach my picks!  I kind of like the fact that this year's spreadsheet was done so early.  I like that the ratings are all over the map.  There are guys I might want in the 5th and 6th, but they will never last if they are properly rated on your board.  I have to admit, sometimes it actually influences me and I pride myself as being willing to pick a guy from Middlesex CC in the 1st round if he is big enough and can really run. 

2 hours ago, Ron Rico said:

@32EBoozer Wow, great pick with Moro Ojomo. He wasn't even on my radar because his overall rank (average) was skewered by Drafttek who gave him a 375 ranking. I'm gonna have to be more mindful going forward. 

One stat to look at in the players list is standard deviation, as in it shows how wide of a disparity player rankings are, a low standard deviation means most rankings have the guy at a similar spot a high standard deviation means the rankings are wildly different.

The rankings for sure at times are out of whack for certain players for some reason.

Best bet is to find a trusted source of rankings or two and make those your go to rankings.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

We don't trust you!  You'll poach my picks!  I kind of like the fact that this year's spreadsheet was done so early.  I like that the ratings are all over the map.  There are guys I might want in the 5th and 6th, but they will never last if they are properly rated on your board.  I have to admit, sometimes it actually influences me and I pride myself as being willing to pick a guy from Middlesex CC in the 1st round if he is big enough and can really run. 

Just give me a list of all your fav picks and I will pick them right away, get them out of the way and lessen your disappointment.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Lith said:

Ojulari has been fixed.

This is why I stopped trying to make my own spreadsheet a few years ago and just asked for yours.  When multiple sites have player names listed slightly differently, they show up as two different names in the sheet.  And no matter how many times I would manually go through it, something always fell through the cracks.  Your sheets generally have far fewer duplicates than the ones I used to put together.

I did a conditional formatting test and there should be no other duplicates (if you removed the second jl skinner.)  three is of course two Byron Youngs but those are in fact two different players,.,

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I did a conditional formatting test and there should be no other duplicates (if you removed the second jl skinner.)  three is of course two Byron Youngs but those are in fact two different players,.,

I would like to give @section314 the Alabama one so I can grab the volunteer in about 8 picks.  I guess I could use my awesome mod powers to edit his pick.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

****.  So you are telling me the Jets are going to have to draft two Byron Youngs now? 

34 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Bah, I think i have a few more doubles in the spreadsheet (which are tough to pick up when entering data.  I think lower down i have bj oularji and jl skinner listed and i know they are both gone.

i found the ojulari double.  It should be gone now.  I didn't notice Skinner.

38 minutes ago, Lith said:

Fine with me if we want to try it.  Just has to be some sort of time limit for a GM to make up the pick in case we lose anyone during the draft.  Don't want an open pick to linger too long.

When a pick is skipped, the GM will be given notice.  If a 2nd pick comes up and they miss it, then GM is replaced and the new GM makes those two picks.  Otherwise leave it empty until that happens.  

I think it's best for rd 4 and beyond.  If it works for the rest of 2023 draft, then we can consider expanding it to at least rd 3 next season.

So is this what we are doing for the rest of this mock?  I vote yes.  It terminates the need for a consensus in day 3 rds. And it's better than some random guy on the top of a spreadsheet.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Dcat said:

When a pick is skipped, the GM will be given notice.  If a 2nd pick comes up and they miss it, then GM is replaced and the new GM makes those two picks.  Otherwise leave it empty until that happens.  

I think it's best for rd 4 and beyond.  If it works for the rest of 2023 draft, then we can consider expanding it to at least rd 3 next season.

So is this what we are doing for the rest of this mock?  I vote yes.  It terminates the need for a consensus in day 3 rds. And it's better than some random guy on the top of a spreadsheet.

Makes sense to me.  Anything that means we don't have to make picks for folks.  May as well try something different.

• Upvote 3

Mods are no longer making consensus picks. 

If a pick is missed on our 2-hr clock, that team will be skipped and the next GM will go OTC.  When the missing GM returns, he can post his pick from whatever is left on the board.   Vikings, @UntouchableCrew clock expired so we are skipping Vikings for now and next GM @WhartonJet is now OTC.  Vikings can pick when the GM gets here. 

Also, for the remainder of the mock, 2 consecutive missed picks and GM will be replaced ASAP

• Upvote 1