JetNation 2023 Mock Draft - Discussion

Dcat

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Remember when you stopped doing scores because of my stupid ass coming in with zero knowledge and doing great?

That was nice.

I think that was one year, when people started to take the scores too seriously.  And seemed to be drafting based on score whether or not the pick made any sense for their team.

39 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think that was one year, when people started to take the scores too seriously.  And seemed to be drafting based on score whether or not the pick made any sense for their team.

Yeah, if I recall that’s what happened. I just teased it was cause of me showing you all up and finishing with a high s ore a few years in a row. I did the same thing then that I do now, I have a strategy and try to honor the simulation.

I just like to bat balls.

• Upvote 2

71Nolan Smith 36 (30) +6

Matthew Bergeron 69 (38) +31

Julius Brents 77 (44) +33

Jayden Reed 167 (50) +117

Jaxson Kirkland 171 (UDFA Bengals) -89

Habakkuk Baldonado 177 (UDFA Giants) -83

Rakim Jarrett 182 (UDFA Tampa) -78

Jerrod Clark 189 (UDFA Chargers) -71

Hunter Luepke 191 (UDFA Cowboys) -69

BJ Thompson 223 (166) +57

BJ Wilson 251 (Not even an UDFA deal yet) -9

Talk about feast or famine. What is the negative for guys not drafted?  I was wondering why you guys were so hard on zerovoltz and then I read some that sh*t.  Jeez.  Nice to offer to help but maybe just try to make your picks first .

EDIT for my true final number.  -155.  I was on a tear before I started my UDFA spree.  I don't care.  I stand by them!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Yeah, if I recall that’s what happened. I just teased it was cause of me showing you all up and finishing with a high s ore a few years in a row. I did the same thing then that I do now, I have a strategy and try to honor the simulation.

I just like to bat balls.

I think it is interesting the way people have different philosophies.  I don't try to do what the team will do but I do try to add guys that fit the team needs and tryvto take teams with philosophy similar to mine.  Usually that is the Ravens and Seahawks but the last couple of years I took teams with no 1st about late rounders.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Talk about feast or famine. What is the negative for guys not drafted?  I was wondering why you guys were so hard on zerovoltz and then I read some that sh*t.  Jeez.  Nice to offer to help but maybe just try to make your picks first .

There are 259 picks.  Any undrafted guy is considered pick 260, so BJ Wilson is -9.  Hunter Luebke is -69. 

Zerovoltz trashed us on a Broncos board.  We just pick guys in order based on some spreadsheet.  Our draft is no fun.  Bad picks.  2 hr deadline is too strict.  etc etc.  He also said we have no discussion thread -- if he couldn't find the thread that was pinned directly above or below our selection thread, then I think that says more about him than us.

He likes the way another board does things, that is fine.  He can draft there next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

think it is interesting the way people have different philosophies.  I don't try to do what the team will do but I do try to add guys that fit the team needs and tryvto take teams with philosophy similar to mine.  Usually that is the Ravens and Seahawks but the last couple of years I took teams with no 1st about late rounders.

Last couple of years it has been the late rounds that I have really enjoyed.  Most people know the guys who go on days 1 and 2, and a handful of guys the Jets may target on day 3.  But becuase of our draft, I learn about so many more prospects.  Either guys I look into for the Packers, or the players you guys pick for your teams.  Its almost as if we share our research among 32 guys for two weeks. 

I try to do what I think is best for the team I draft for.  Study their roster.  Try to get an idea who they are bringing in.  I have a couple of friends in the Chicago area who are big Packer fans so I always talk to them about the team and what they expect.   Was happier with what I did with day 3 than days 1 & 2, and the last 3 days bore that out.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Lith said:

There are 259 picks.  Any undrafted guy is considered pick 260, so BJ Wilson is -9.  Hunter Luebke is -69. 

Zerovoltz trashed us on a Broncos board.  We just pick guys in order based on some spreadsheet.  Our draft is no fun.  Bad picks.  2 hr deadline is too strict.  etc etc.  He also said we have no discussion thread -- if he couldn't find the thread that was pinned directly above or below our selection thread, then I think that says more about him than us.

He likes the way another board does things, that is fine.  He can draft there next year.

Yeah.  Sorry.  In case I didn't make it clear I really want to commend you guys for moderating this.  You do a great job every year.  Super cool complaining about the lack of a banter thread in the banter thread.

I do have mixed feelings about the spreadsheet.  I don't really use it for my picks but it subconsciously makes me think who will be picked next.  I really likes the fact that it was done so early that it was batsh*t crazy this year.  I think the only real format changes to consider are things to prevent people missing picks.

Yeah.  Sorry.  In case I didn't make it clear I really want to commend you guys for moderating this.  You do a great job every year.  Super cool complaining about the lack of a banter thread in the banter thread.
I do have mixed feelings about the spreadsheet.  I don't really use it for my picks but it subconsciously makes me think who will be picked next.  I really likes the fact that it was done so early that it was batsh*t crazy this year.  I think the only real format changes to consider are things to prevent people missing picks.

Maybe it would be better to just provide an alphabetical listing of players without the rankings. We can think about it for next year.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

30 minutes ago, Lith said:

Maybe it would be better to just provide an alphabetical listing of players without the rankings. We can think about it for next year.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

No perfect way.  The way you have been doing it should help prevent missed picks.  We have done it with no spreadsheet and this way is smoother.  I think having some rating should help prevent missed picks.  Like I said, the only thing we should be looking at improving are missed picks.

I am guilty myself of not reading the rules too closely.  I thought we shut down at 9.  I think we had in the past.  It wasn't too bad since I monitored it all night anyway, but I guess I can't complain about anybody else.  

• Upvote 1

Good morning. As I'm sure many of you have, I reviewed my draft picks in no particular order:

Max Melton elected to return to Rutgers

DE Mike Morris was taken in the 5th round by Seattle (I took him in the 3rd)

Keondre Coburn DT was taken 194 overall by the Chiefs ((I took him at 125)

Rashad Torrence II signed a UDFA deal with the Rams

Jahmyr Gibbs and Cedric Tillman, I got right at 1 and 2

DE Jalen Redmond, Will McDonald (the Guard from Coastal Carolina) didn't get drafted.

The Chargers actual picks:

Round 1 (No. 21 overall) — Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU

Round 2 (54) — Tuli Tuipulotu, DE/LB, USC

Round 3 (85) — Daiyan Henley, LB, Washington State

Round 4 (125) — Derius Davis, WR, TCU 

Round 5 (156) — Jordan McFadden, G, Clemson 

Round 6 (200) — Scott Matlock, DT, Boise State 

Round 7 (239) — Max Duggan, QB, TCU 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Lith said:

What? I guess I missed all this. Eff that guy, honestly.

8 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

No perfect way.  The way you have been doing it should help prevent missed picks.  We have done it with no spreadsheet and this way is smoother.  I think having some rating should help prevent missed picks.  Like I said, the only thing we should be looking at improving are missed picks.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of just an alphabetical player list without rankings.  As we fill out the roster next year, I can see what others think, but we should all have our own rankings anyway.  And an added bonus is I won't need @Beerfish to create the player list if we do it without rankings, so he won't get preferential treatment in the team selection process.

I like the way we handled the skipped picks later in the draft.  We will skip you and move on and make your pick when you can - it does not make sense in the first couple of rounds but worked very smoothly late.  And I think everyone prefers to make their own selections even if a little late than have someone picked for them.

• Upvote 1

When I look at how I feel a person has done in the draft to me the overall plus minus is not quite as important as how many plus'e vs minus you have.

I still think the ratings on the sheet are useful.   You realize fully that they are not the be all and end all but it sets potential ranges at least.  If there are no ratings I am betting we get more way out there picks.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Beerfish said:

When I look at how I feel a person has done in the draft to me the overall plus minus is not quite as important as how many plus'e vs minus you have.

I still think the ratings on the sheet are useful.   You realize fully that they are not the be all and end all but it sets potential ranges at least.  If there are no ratings I am betting we get more way out there picks.

After round 1 and 2 how much thought and homework really goes into the rankings? And then when you look for an overall average based on a dozen different assessments, their really is no accuracy at all. Having said that, you have to use what's available, even if it's not very accurate. 

Next year depending on what team I get, I'm going to narrow my potential pool down considerably. The less names, the better chance of making a good decision. 

7 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

After round 1 and 2 how much thought and homework really goes into the rankings? And then when you look for an overall average based on a dozen different assessments, their really is no accuracy at all. Having said that, you have to use what's available, even if it's not very accurate. 

Next year depending on what team I get, I'm going to narrow my potential pool down considerably. The less names, the better chance of making a good decision. 

Well the point is 'there is no accuracy at all is not correct'.  There is a stat on the sheet called standard deviation and that shows you how universal that players ranking is or how wildly the rankings differ.

The list has been much smaller in the past but it has also flat out missed players with good value so that is why this year the list was ponderously long.

In the end no skin off my nose if players are ranked or not, might force people to do more of their own research so that is a good thing but we will also get more really off the board picks.

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Kincaid -6

Derick Hall +13

Tyler Steen +17

Corey Trice -88

Sean Tucker -undrafted (heart condition) -85

Jake Haener +52

Justin Shorter +31

Jordan McFadden +40

David Pareles - undrafted -8

JETS:

Mayer: -15

Harrison: + 15

Ojulari: +2

Olowutemi: -69 (panicked on Center)

Dell: + 19

Ojomu: -22 (I should have jinxed him earlier)

Ji’Ayir Brown: +31

OA: -39

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Lith said:

Zerovoltz trashed us on a Broncos board.  We just pick guys in order based on some spreadsheet.  Our draft is no fun.  Bad picks.  2 hr deadline is too strict.  

My 1st time doing this and I really enjoyed it. It made later rounds of real draft way more interesting.

But this zero guy missed virtually every pick and that really ruined the flow. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Still happy with my draft. Would've done it different if chasing points but wasn't on my mind then making picks. Loved the Wilson, Wypler and Gray picks at the time. 

Titans -91

11 (6) Paris Johnson Jr. +5

41 (40) Isaiah Foskey +1

72 (190) Luke Wypler -118

147 (94) Michael Wilson +53

186 (260) T.J. Bass -76

228 (172) Eric Gray +44

• Upvote 1

Tried to tell you guys about Brenton Strange.. He alone made my draft, but still some nice picks otherwise. Especially trading up to snag our boi McDonald with the last pick in the 2nd. No players undrafted either which helped a lot. McIntosh pick hurt me the most, but he and Witherspoon were the two picks that I made that ended up actually going to the Seahawks.

Seahawks OA: +322

Tyree Wilson 5 (7) -2

Devon Witherspoon 20 (5) +15

Josh Downs 44 (79) -35

Joe Tippman 52 (43) +9

Will McDonald IV 63 (15) +48

Keeanu Benton 83 (49) +34

Kenny McIntosh 160 (237) -77

Jaren Hall 198 (164) +34

Brenton Strange 209 (63) +146

Atonio Mafi 225 (144) +81

Kei'Trel Clark 237 (180) +57

Nesta Jade Silvera 243 (231) +12

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

On 4/11/2023 at 10:37 PM, NYJetsVets91 said:

https://247sports.com/college/penn-state/Article/nfl-mock-draft-mel-kiper-espn-two-rounds-joey-porter-jr-brenton-strange-penn-state-208184927/

Kiper has Strange going in the 2nd round to the Chargers.. I think that's pretty high, but I still see him going in the mid rounds (3-4). I think getting him in the bottom of the 6th was a steal, he tested really well at the combine. To me a good comp for him would be Kellen Winslow Jr, but he can block too. There are a lot of similarities in size and frame as well as the raw physical talent to make some crazy contested catches, and freak athlete plays i.e. this leap over a central Michigan defender in the pic below, and these catches:

A2GC3T5OWZFF7J5ISSQEIKVIQI.webp

Bump.. for reference ?

11 hours ago, NYJetsVets91 said:

Tried to tell you guys about Brenton Strange.. He alone made my draft, but still some nice picks otherwise. Especially trading up to snag our boi McDonald with the last pick in the 2nd. No players undrafted either which helped a lot. McIntosh pick hurt me the most, but he and Witherspoon were the two picks that I made that ended up actually going to the Seahawks.

Seahawks OA: +322

Tyree Wilson 5 (7) -2

Devon Witherspoon 20 (5) +15

Josh Downs 44 (79) -35

Joe Tippman 52 (43) +9

Will McDonald IV 63 (15) +48

Keeanu Benton 83 (49) +34

Kenny McIntosh 160 (237) -77

Jaren Hall 198 (164) +34

Brenton Strange 209 (63) +146

Atonio Mafi 225 (144) +81

Kei'Trel Clark 237 (180) +57

Nesta Jade Silvera 243 (231) +12

That will be a tough draft to beat.  I hope to have all scores up tonight.  I need Pro Football Reference to post full draft results to download and map into our sheet.  They only had R1-R3 up yesterday.

• Upvote 3

Jalen Redmond, DE, Oklahoma Ht/Wt: 6’2”, 291 lbs, agreed to terms with the Panthers (UDFA)

Stats: 71 tackles (31.5 for loss), 14 sacks and six pass breakups (five seasons) Redmond, a highly productive college interior defensive linemen, should be able to compete for a 4i/5-technique spot in the trenches. The Panthers aren’t super crowded at the 3-4 defensive end spot, so Redmond has a shot at preseason playing time.

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article274586116.html#storylink=cpy

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...