JetNation 2023 Mock Draft - Discussion

Dcat

15 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Before I researched JL Skinner for my pick, hadn’t heard of him… which is surprising for two reasons… 1. I watched more Boise this year than I ever care to again (college fantasy football) and 2. The dude is a 6’4 220lb DB!.. currently laying wood at safety. 

I’m in. 

I was studying him a bit for the Falcons. A few spots even projected him as a LBer. Interesting guy.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Before I researched JL Skinner for my pick, hadn’t heard of him… which is surprising for two reasons… 1. I watched more Boise this year than I ever care to again (college fantasy football) and 2. The dude is a 6’4 220lb DB!.. currently laying wood at safety. 

I’m in. 

Boise DBs are always great!  (Does the Kyle Wilson finger wag)

• More Ugh 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/2/2023 at 6:40 AM, Lith said:

Combined.  Yes.  Single season.  No.  But you don't draft players based strictly on college production without context.

Washington played in a run heavy scheme, with a passing game built around the other TE who possesses a very different skill set.  At worst, he is a blocking tight end who will be a solid red zone target.  I see his floor being a Marcedes Lewis type player.  With a much higher ceiling.  

I am the first to admit that he will not likely be able to gain much separation as a receiver in the NFL, very awkward in and out of breaks, but he is so unique that I don't think he has to.  He is very good at finding soft spots in zones, he can be effective going up the seam, and he knows how to use his big body and huge wingspan to box out defenders and win in contested spots.  And he is very underrated with the ball in his hands.  I think he will be more productive in the NFL than he was with us.  

Then you look at the Packers roster.  They may have the worst TE room in the NFL.  Josiah Deguara, who is more a H-back, is in last year of his contract, is the most experienced guy they have.  And he is not very good.  Tyler Davis is likely a career back up who has averaged about 10 offensive snaps a game in 2 seasons at GB.  And then they have a couple practice squad guys.  I came into this draft knowing I wanted to pick a TE with one of my first two picks.  The trade up for Washington was spur of the moment.  After passing on Kincaid in R1, I had an opportunity to move up and get a guy I liked.  And after trading back two spots in R1, I was able to use the pick I got there to make it happen.

I am happy with the pick, even though it may have been a little bit of a reach,

i missed this... so long as the packers will be happy with a mostly blocking 5 yard dig/out guy... I'm sure he'll have a handful of highlights and key RZ catches.. but i dunno if ever becomes a household name. 

Colts have a pair of tackles in Bernard Raimann and Braden Smith. 2022 assessment was unsatisfactory. Raimann needs competition. Last year, while doing mock drafts anytime I took Raimann it was to put him at OG.

Freeland gives the Colts more flexibility at the position, plus I think Freeland can add 20 lbs of muscle to his frame with ease.

I had a lot of guys I wanted at 79. This felt the most like a pick Ballard would make. Invest in the trenches with a eye to how the line looks beyond 2023. You’re not getting an instant starter at OT this late.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Colts have a pair of tackles in Bernard Raimann and Braden Smith. 2022 assessment was unsatisfactory. Raimann needs competition. Last year, while doing mock drafts anytime I took Raimann it was to put him at OG.

Freeland gives the Colts more flexibility at the position, plus I think Freeland can add 20 lbs of muscle to his frame with ease.

I had a lot of guys I wanted at 79. This felt the most like a pick Ballard would make. Invest in the trenches with an eye to how the line looks beyond 2023. You’re not getting an instant starter at OT this late.

THey need to keep their eventual QB clean in the pocket and rely on JT pounding the rock and staying healthy 

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

i missed this... so long as the packers will be happy with a mostly blocking 5 yard dig/out guy... I'm sure he'll have a handful of highlights and key RZ catches.. but i dunno if ever becomes a household name. 

He is a guy who can take a 5-yard dig/out and break a tackle and turn it into a 15 yard gain.  But I also see him as a guy who can get downfield on seam or wheel routes and make some big plays.  We did not use him that way a lot at Georgia, but he did show the ability to get downfield and make plays. 

Packers have a first time starter at QB.  Washington improves his protection and gives a young guy a huge target who I think will show he can make plays with the ball in his hands.  If I thought Rodgers was still going to be GB's QB, then I probably would have taken Kincaid in R1 or Musgrave in R2.  But I like Washington better if this team is going to be led by Love.

And if I am wrong, it won't be the first time.

• Upvote 1

I hadn't realized that Goff is only signed thru 2024, with $31 mill cap hits this year and next.  They will probably restructure and extend, but there is no one on the roster who could be a likely starter in his place, unless you love Nate Sudfeld.  TIme to bring in a solid developmental prospect like McKee.

Enter McKee into the Lions' QB room.  Tall, strong traditional pocket passer (not unlike Goff actually). He'll hold that clipboard with Sudfield in '23 and maybe earn the backup spot in '24.  And if they don't extend Goff....  we'll see if he can compete for a starting spot in 2025.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I hadn't realized that Goff is only signed thru 2024, with $31 mill cap hits this year and next.  They will probably restructure and extend, but there is no one on the roster who could be a likely starter in his place, unless you love Nate Sudfeld.  TIme to bring in a solid developmental prospect like McKee.

Enter McKee into the Lions' QB room.  Tall, strong traditional pocket passer (not unlike Goff actually). He'll hold that clipboard with Sudfield in '23 and maybe earn the backup spot in '24.  And if they don't extend Goff....  we'll see if he can compete for a starting spot in 2025.

Read in more than one spot that McKee is the number# 2 QB in this draft. 

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

THey need to keep their eventual QB clean in the pocket and rely on JT pounding the rock and staying healthy 

That’s my thinking, too. I’m drafting for 2024 really. I don’t see any pick I’ve made as an absolute necessity to start as a rookie. F they can, awesome, but even at LB the Colts have some veteran guys that may play 2023, but are likely not going to be here next year.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

@NYJetsVets91 love Benton. Was between him and Boutte for the Falcons at #75. WR was a bit more pressing, especially after Falcons signed Calais Campbell. Was foolishly hoping he would slide to #113. If I had more amo I would have tried to trade up with you.?

You SUCK @NYJetsVets91. Thought I was going to sneak him on the Jets. Very Good player and pick!

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

57 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I don't know much about the player, but I like the thinking.  A QB in R3/R4 makes a ton of sense for Detroit.  Goff is solid, and Detroit has a good young team, but I don't think he is a long term solution.  He can win you games while you look to develop a young guy with no immediate need for him to play.  And even if Goff does prove he can be more than a "hold the fort" type guy, then Mckee could be a cheap backup on a rookie deal who could become a trade chip down the road.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, section314 said:

@NYJetsVets91 love Benton. Was between him and Boutte for the Falcons at #75. WR was a bit more pressing, especially after Falcons signed Calais Campbell. Was foolishly hoping he would slide to #113. If I had more amo I would have tried to trade up with you.?

I was thinking about both Benton and Gervon Dexter at 78 for the Packers.  But I decided to prioritize another weapon for Love ahead of defense, especially after I used 17 on a safety.  Figured I would wait and see where the DTs might drop to and maybe trade up, but I was not ready to start to offer the price it would have taken to move up from late R4.  And I still have about 5 or 6 guys on my list for R4.  Time will tell if any of them stick around long enough to try to move up.

Although I will be in Milwaukee at the Met game tomorrow, so I probably won't be following the draft actively enough to make a move during the day.

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

I was thinking about both Benton and Gervon Dexter at 78 for the Packers.  But I decided to prioritize another weapon for Love ahead of defense, especially after I used 17 on a safety.  Figured I would wait and see where the DTs might drop to and maybe trade up, but I was not ready to start to offer the price it would have taken to move up from late R4.  And I still have about 5 or 6 guys on my list for R4.  Time will tell if any of them stick around long enough to try to move up.

Although I will be in Milwaukee at the Met game tomorrow, so I probably won't be following the draft actively enough to make a move during the day.

Maybe they’ll score.?️Have fun

14 hours ago, Paradis said:

I’m in. 

That guy is good love his profile- would be a great pick up for the Jets

14 minutes ago, Lith said:

What is wrong with you? We need to add Davis to the Aaron Rodgers trade now you blew it.

While I liked Luke Wypler at Center (Jets Fan and Mangold devotee) I believe I ended up getting the best Center in the Nation.

Michigan Center Olusegun Oluwatimi

Olusegun Oluwatimi - Football - University of Michigan Athletics

New York, NY – Announced tonight on the virtual Home Depot College Football Awards Show on ESPN, University of Michigan center Olusegun Oluwatimi has been named the 2022 Rimington Trophy winner, an award that marks him as the most outstanding center in division I football.

DALLAS (FWAA) – Michigan center Olusegun Oluwatimi was named the recipient of the 77th Outland Trophy on Thursday night during The Home Depot College Football Awards. The Outland Trophy is awarded annually to the nation's best college interior lineman on offense or defense.Dec 8, 2022

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

What is wrong with you? We need to add Davis to the Aaron Rodgers trade now you blew it.

Still plenty of room on that roster for an experienced wide receiver.   Watson and Doubs are both in their second season and they are top 2 guys.  Beyond that they have Samori Toure (5 lifetime catches), and a couple of PS guys who have one offensive snap between them in their NFL careers. They still desperately need an experienced veteran WR to add to that group.  

Until I started this draft, I did not realize just how bad this Packers roster is.  They have holes everywhere.  Safety and TE rooms among the worst in the NFL. Top pass rusher coming off injury.  A couple of 2nd year WRs with nothing behind them.  Bad run defense,  Aging, injury prone LT.  They need people everywhere.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

While I liked Luke Wypler at Center (Jets Fan and Mangold devotee) I believe I ended up getting the best Center in the Nation.

New York, NY – Announced tonight on the virtual Home Depot College Football Awards Show on ESPN, University of Michigan center Olusegun Oluwatimi has been named the 2022 Rimington Trophy winner, an award that marks him as the most outstanding center in division I football.

DALLAS (FWAA) – Michigan center Olusegun Oluwatimi was named the recipient of the 77th Outland Trophy on Thursday night during The Home Depot College Football Awards. The Outland Trophy is awarded annually to the nation's best college interior lineman on offense or defense.Dec 8, 2022

Let's hope this organic process shakes out this way for real! Great pick!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Until I started this draft, I did not realize just how bad this Packers roster is.  

I experienced quite the opposite with the Chargers. Their greatest weakness is run defense. I hope to find a sleeper in rounds 4-7. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I thought you might have been spending some time on the phone with Ben Jones agent before making this pick.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Dear Mods, @Lith @Dcat @NYJetsVets91 @New York Mick

The Giants are making a trade with the Ravens

Ravens get: 3(89), and 5(172), and 7(254)

Giants get: 3(86)

@JiF will confirm, I'm sure

This is confirmed, not sure if the nude pics he sent me needed to be included in the compensation but it was part of the deal and let me tell you, dude is sexy.  Dead sexy.  He's Gsexy.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, JiF said:

This is confirmed, not sure if the nude pics he sent me needed to be included in the compensation but it was part of the deal and let me tell you, dude is sexy.  Dead sexy.  He's Gsexy.

This is mostly true. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

That guy is good love his profile- would be a great pick up for the Jets

It's kind of like watching Mike Williams at USC... the size difference to the players around him is absurd. 

Good video of cropped plays (vs thug music highlights)

• Upvote 2