JetNation 2023 Mock Draft - Discussion

Dcat

Well, thanks for a fun experience trying to do what I thought was best for my Jets.

image.thumb.png.f0662e3f1fcb3364b080a366265e3d49.png

Missed out on the 2 top OT. Thought I could get Broderick Jones 20-25 but even he went at #12. WR & CB were off my board this early due to roster strength. Traded down twice to 21, garnering a 3rd & 4th rd pick.

Mayer was best player at his position & thinking CJ gone after this year & Ruckert coming off injury. It was a luxury pick, I do not argue that point, but I felt he was too good a value at 21. We’ll see come Draft day. 

Was pleased to get a quality OT (most likely RT) in Anton Harrison. He would act as depth this year in case of injury. In ‘24 he’d compete at RT with Mitchell while Becton manned LT.

Edge BJ Ojulare was a player I think can be a player who can man the LB position while also coming on certain blitz packages. He was a very productive player at LSU and leader

Oluwatimi was rated below some of the other Center prospects. I don’t understand why after reading up on him. Received Economics degree from UVA & played as a Graduate Student at UM, winning Rimmington & Outland Trophies. I think I got lucky here.

Was hoping to find my DT in the 3rd but those I targeted were poached. In some cases, right before I picked. So next plan… who can immediately help this team: 

“Tank” Dell (WR Houston) was my selection as our Hardman replacement/PR. Led the nation in Rec. yds & TDs with crazy suddenness and long speed. Tracks deep balls well and can take it to the house on every play. Small but tough to tackle. Last 2 seasons 2700 yds & 29 TDs

Looked to fill the DT and found a solid player who can be developed in Moro Ojomo (6-3/290) out of Texas. Has played all along the line but feel he can wreak havoc alongside QW in a year or 2. Strong (29 reps) huge wingspan and relentless motor. Can add another 10-20 lbs without concern.

Finally Ji’ Ayir Brown: S PSU. Good athlete who has had 10 interceptions over the past 2 seasons. Solid tackler. High floor but low ceiling is how he’s described. I took a flyer.

I hope I I was able to hit on some of these players and found value where they were selected. I’ll be very interested to see if I over or undervalued players when Draft day arrives…. especially Mayer ?

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Lith said:

And we have yet another missed pick.  That is 3 today.  @choon328 please make your pick from any available player when you are back online.  Since Choon and the Jags missed their two hour window, we roll to the next team in the draft, which is my team, the Packers.

With the 122nd pick, the GB Packers select Yaya Diaby, Edge, Louisville.

Louisville Football: 3 takeaways from thrilling win over UCF - Page 2

MC03OTczLmpwZWc.jpeg

• Upvote 1

I think the Chargers hit a home run with this pick

A fifth-year defensive lineman who has played in 51 career games and started 45 times … named second-team All-Big 12 by the league’s coaches and the AP in 2022 ... a 2022 third-team All-Big 12 Preseason selection by Athlon Sports ... named preseason fourth-team All-Big 12 by Phil Steele in 2022 ... selected to the 2021 Bednarik Award preseason watch list ... a third-team All-Big 12 Preseason selection by Athlon Sports in 2021 ... named a fourth-team All-Big 12 Preseason selection by Phil Steele in 2021 ... named All-Big 12 honorable mention in 2020 and 2021 ... earned Academic All-Big 12 First Team honors in 2021 … a first-team preseason All-Texas selection by Dave Campbell’s Texas Football Magazine in 2020 ... an All-Big 12 Preseason selection by Phil Steele in 2019 and 2020 ... was a high school All-American and three-time all-district honoree ... a four-time member of the Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll (spring 2020, fall 2020, spring 2021, fall 2022).

SENIOR (2022)
A second-team All-Big 12 Selection by both the Big 12 Conference head coaches and the Associated Press … tabbed honorable mention Big 12 Defensive Lineman of the Year by the league’s coaches.

He provides a big body up front to eat space in the run game. Occasionally will show strength in his hands to get off blocks. His position can be frustrating to play, but he never fails to show consistent effort when he is on the field. Stays active throughout the entirety of plays, throws his hands in the air on passing downs in an attempt to get deflections and even helps chase down from the backside of the play. Puts weaker offensive lineman in a tough spot when he has some pop to his hands to knock them off balance temporarily. 

• Upvote 2

@UntouchableCrew  don't forget to give us pick #119 for the Vikings when you come around.  

Slow on trigger, Vikings miss pick
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

NEW YORK --

The Vikings were forced on Saturday to make a rare "pass" on their first-round choice, the seventh pick overall, when they were unable to complete a proposed trade with the Baltimore Ravens before the 15-minute time limit lapsed.

By taking a "pass," the Vikings delayed their choice, but were permitted to then make it at any ensuing time.

But in frenzied flury in the minutes immediately following the Minnesota move, Jacksonville, choosing No. 8 overall, rushed in its card to pick quarterback Byron Leftwich.

In lightning time after that, Carolina jumped in to choose offensive tackle Jordon Gross.

Minnesota finally exercised its pick at the No. 9 slot, selecting defensive tackle Kevin Williams, one of the fastest-rising players in the lottery.

But by that point, the public relations damage had been done.

"I'm pissed," said Vikings coach Mike Tice. "There is no other way I can put it."

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

I think the Chargers hit a home run with this pick

A fifth-year defensive lineman who has played in 51 career games and started 45 times … named second-team All-Big 12 by the league’s coaches and the AP in 2022 ... a 2022 third-team All-Big 12 Preseason selection by Athlon Sports ... named preseason fourth-team All-Big 12 by Phil Steele in 2022 ... selected to the 2021 Bednarik Award preseason watch list ... a third-team All-Big 12 Preseason selection by Athlon Sports in 2021 ... named a fourth-team All-Big 12 Preseason selection by Phil Steele in 2021 ... named All-Big 12 honorable mention in 2020 and 2021 ... earned Academic All-Big 12 First Team honors in 2021 … a first-team preseason All-Texas selection by Dave Campbell’s Texas Football Magazine in 2020 ... an All-Big 12 Preseason selection by Phil Steele in 2019 and 2020 ... was a high school All-American and three-time all-district honoree ... a four-time member of the Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll (spring 2020, fall 2020, spring 2021, fall 2022).

SENIOR (2022)
A second-team All-Big 12 Selection by both the Big 12 Conference head coaches and the Associated Press … tabbed honorable mention Big 12 Defensive Lineman of the Year by the league’s coaches.

He provides a big body up front to eat space in the run game. Occasionally will show strength in his hands to get off blocks. His position can be frustrating to play, but he never fails to show consistent effort when he is on the field. Stays active throughout the entirety of plays, throws his hands in the air on passing downs in an attempt to get deflections and even helps chase down from the backside of the play. Puts weaker offensive lineman in a tough spot when he has some pop to his hands to knock them off balance temporarily. 

classic 1 tech.  Perfect for their defense.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

@UntouchableCrew  don't forget to give us pick #119 for the Vikings when you come around.  

Slow on trigger, Vikings miss pick
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

NEW YORK --

The Vikings were forced on Saturday to make a rare "pass" on their first-round choice, the seventh pick overall, when they were unable to complete a proposed trade with the Baltimore Ravens before the 15-minute time limit lapsed.

By taking a "pass," the Vikings delayed their choice, but were permitted to then make it at any ensuing time.

But in frenzied flury in the minutes immediately following the Minnesota move, Jacksonville, choosing No. 8 overall, rushed in its card to pick quarterback Byron Leftwich.

In lightning time after that, Carolina jumped in to choose offensive tackle Jordon Gross.

Minnesota finally exercised its pick at the No. 9 slot, selecting defensive tackle Kevin Williams, one of the fastest-rising players in the lottery.

But by that point, the public relations damage had been done.

"I'm pissed," said Vikings coach Mike Tice. "There is no other way I can put it."

Sorry, was stuck at family event last night. Just made my pick. At least it keeps a Vikings tradition going.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Sorry, was stuck at family event last night. Just made my pick. At least it keeps a Vikings tradition going.

I looked it up... there have been other teams that have done the same thing.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

MC03OTczLmpwZWc.jpeg

Was wondering if anyone might make this reference.  Should have guessed it would be you.  Great album.

As for the Yaya that I picked.  Likely a designated pass rusher first year or two.  Weak run defender who came into his own as a pass rusher last year.  Good athlete, although it is concerning that he did not do agility drills either at pro day or combine.  Wanted to add a depth guy to help get after the passer, especially since Rashan Gary is coming off ACL surgery.  There were a couple other options I considered, but I thought Yaya had the best upside at this stage of the draft.

• Upvote 1

On 4/3/2023 at 4:29 PM, Lith said:

There was one other that Dcat found before we got started.  600+ players.  2 slipped through the cracks.  An acceptable error rate.  You retain the job for next year -- at the same pay rate as this year of course.

He needs a 20% bump for inflation.  No make it 40%.  50%!

On 4/4/2023 at 12:42 PM, Lith said:

Still plenty of room on that roster for an experienced wide receiver.   Watson and Doubs are both in their second season and they are top 2 guys.  Beyond that they have Samori Toure (5 lifetime catches), and a couple of PS guys who have one offensive snap between them in their NFL careers. They still desperately need an experienced veteran WR to add to that group.  

Until I started this draft, I did not realize just how bad this Packers roster is.  They have holes everywhere.  Safety and TE rooms among the worst in the NFL. Top pass rusher coming off injury.  A couple of 2nd year WRs with nothing behind them.  Bad run defense,  Aging, injury prone LT.  They need people everywhere.

It would help if they had another 2023 draft pick.  Just about a second round pick right near where they are picking already.  Maybe they can find some team who has one to trade for a player they have no plans to use.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

It would help if they had another 2023 draft pick.  Just about a second round pick right near where they are picking already.  Maybe they can find some team who has one to trade for a player they have no plans to use.

I hear ya.  Sounds like this trade is gonna be right around draft day, assuming it happens.  But I question how high the Packers would take a WR.  You have a first time starting QB with two 2nd year WRs already.  I think you want to add a couple of experienced guys to the mix and maybe a mid rounder as a 5th WR who can play special teams. 

A guy like Tyler Scott in the 3rd.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Lith said:

I hear ya.  Sounds like this trade is gonna be right around draft day, assuming it happens.  But I question how high the Packers would take a WR.  You have a first time starting QB with two 2nd year WRs already.  I think you want to add a couple of experienced guys to the mix and maybe a mid rounder as a 5th WR who can play special teams. 

A guy like Tyler Scott in the 3rd.

Nice small compliment to the two big guys Doubs and Watson.  I read he didn't play much slot in Cinci though, which is a bit strange.

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Nice small compliment to the two big guys Doubs and Watson.  I read he didn't play much slot in Cinci though, which is a bit strange.

Yup.  He was primarily an outside guy there.  I am assuming he would make the adjustment to slot.  Was thinking of him or Tank Dell, but Dell's size scared me off in the 3rd.

Disaster for the jets.  Reminds me of parcells 1998 draft. Lots of picks. Lots of jags. The jets need a few impact players that can contribute right away against the bills, bengals and chiefs. This is not a rebuild year. You can get depth with cheap street free agents that have survived the weeding out process of nfl camps and nfl practices and games. Diluting the picks to stack 3rd stringers is the opposite strategy. 

potentially missing out on Jones or Kancy to get cute and then drafting a TE when the jets already have 4 on the roster. Holy ******* sh*t. 

48 minutes ago, Larz said:

potentially missing out on Jones or Kancy to get cute and then drafting a TE when the jets already have 4 on the roster.

So I should have traded our 4th round pick to move up and grab Jones at #12 ? Considering Rodgers trade will cost us a pick, I’d say that’s pretty dumb.

So I should have drafted Kancey at #13 when every reputable talent evaluator has him going late 1 or early 2nd?

By trading down I collected two 3rd rd. picks (Rimmington & Outland award winning Center & leading receiver in the nation over past 2 seasons w/29 TD’s) and an additional 4th rd. pick (Safety with 10 INT over these last 2 seasons.

And by the way the Kenny Yeboah era is over and the Ruckert era hasn’t begun yet and the Uzomah era could be over by camp starting.  You can trade and replace people. The point of the draft is to upgrade talent. Mayer can start on day 1 & easily put up Conklin stats from last year. Ruckert couldn’t do that.

Anyway, this is an exercise! So take a Xanax and relax. 

Edit: When critiquing, especially when it’s been requested, there is an etiquette that usually is followed…. like @Beerfish and @Sarge4Tide when they’d mention that they “didn’t love that pick” You come off as a ranting loon where everything sucks. No person would consider taking advice from a madman.

Edited by 32EBoozer

46 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

So I should have traded our 4th round pick to move up and grab Jones at #12 ? Considering Rodgers trade will cost us a pick, I’d say that’s pretty dumb.

So I should have drafted Kancey at #13 when every reputable talent evaluator has him going late 1 or early 2nd?

By trading down I collected two 3rd rd. picks (Rimmington & Outland award winning Center & leading receiver in the nation over past 2 seasons w/29 TD’s) and an additional 4th rd. pick (Safety with 10 INT over these last 2 seasons.

And by the way the Kenny Yeboah era is over and the Ruckert era hasn’t begun yet and the Uzomah era could be over by camp starting.  You can trade and replace people. The point of the draft is to upgrade talent. Mayer can start on day 1 & easily put up Conklin stats from last year. Ruckert couldn’t do that.

Anyway, this is an exercise! So take a Xanax and relax. 

Edit: When critiquing, especially when it’s been requested, there is an etiquette that usually is followed…. like @Beerfish and @Sarge4Tide when they’d mention that they “didn’t love that pick” You come off as a ranting loon where everything sucks. No person would consider taking advice from a madman.

Your draft is an indefensible mess. It’s completely out of touch with what the team is trying to accomplish.  The jets would be much better off with 2 blue chips they can plug in as starters. 

only 45 guys dress on game day. You seem more concerned with rounding out the inactive list, or worse, the practice squad. 

Rodgers allows you to attract depth players with NFL experience. This is not a rebuilding year. This is not 1998. It might have entertained you to draft down so you could be on the clock more often but I don’t see the point in that. I would have run the draft like I was trying to win the superbowl with Rodgers

12 minutes ago, Larz said:

Your draft is an indefensible mess. It’s completely out of touch with what the team is trying to accomplish.  The jets would be much better off with 2 blue chips they can plug in as starters. 

only 45 guys dress on game day. You seem more concerned with rounding out the inactive list, or worse, the practice squad. 

Rodgers allows you to attract depth players with NFL experience. This is not a rebuilding year. This is not 1998. It might have entertained you to draft down so you could be on the clock more often but I don’t see the point in that. I would have run the draft like I was trying to win the superbowl with Rodgers

Did I miss Rodgers signing with the Jets?

21 minutes ago, Larz said:

The jets would be much better off with 2 blue chips they can plug in as starters. 

Ok. I had pick 13; 42 & 43. So you wanted me to take Kancey (who is considered a good player) at #13. Ok, who’s the 2nd Blue Chip prospect you wanted me to get? 

57 minutes ago, Larz said:

I think you overestimate our overall team talent. We are NOT only 1, or if you’re lucky, 2 blue  chip prospects away from competing against KC and Buffalo. WR, TE, DT, OL & S are areas needing help. Trading up and having a few picks is not a sound strategy.
image.thumb.png.256291d73c4c741f6962e4fc15c9c4c4.png

40 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Jared Wayne was not on our draft sheet, unsurprisingly -- further confirming my belief that JN is canadian-racist. 

Might have guessed you would be the first guy to make me add someone to the sheet.  A sheet, which I would like to point out, that was put together by Beerfish, another Canadian.