JetNation 2023 Mock Draft - Discussion

Dcat

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

My draft may suck, but after picking Marte Mapu and Sidy Sow with my last two picks, and Yaya Diaby earlier nobody will have me beat for All-Names draft.

Sow was a great pick, (I almost typed great pig....)  He has a monster RAS number.

I was looking at him last night and did not add him to my  list because I was sure he had been taken already.  Due to that over sight I have fired some low level mid west scout.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

At a restaurant with my 4yr old daughter at the time and she had on a Jets shirt and some guy asked her if she was a Jets fan.  She said,  "my dad forces me to wear this" lol. Coincidentally she's the biggest Jets fan right around her bday and Christmas. Funny how that works ? 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Sow was a great pick, (I almost typed great pig....)  He has a monster RAS number.

I was looking at him last night and did not add him to my  list because I was sure he had been taken already.  Due to that over sight I have fired some low level mid west scout.

Thanks.  I had about 4 or 5 guys on my R7 list.   Older prospect, 5 year starter at E Mich, athletic freak.  Perfect late round pick.  Age is the only drawback, taking a 25 year old developmental guy.  But OL can usually play well into their 30s, so even if he needs a year or two before he contributes, he can still have a nice career. 

image.png

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Lith said:

Thanks.  I had about 4 or 5 guys on my R7 list.   Older prospect, 5 year starter at E Mich, athletic freak.  Perfect late round pick.  Age is the only drawback, taking a 25 year old developmental guy.  But OL can usually play well into their 30s, so even if he needs a year or two before he contributes, he can still have a nice career. 

image.png

It seems like there are less guys doing the agility work.  It is harder to check the athletic numbers.  I always looked to small school athletic freaks but this year they seem to be older than usual.  Maybe a bunch of guys got caught up the covid year.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, heymangold said:

The cowboys are done.  With no real glaring needs, I think it was a great draft for them. Very happy with it -

O'Cyrus Torrence OG

Tuli Tuipulotu DE

Zach Charbonnet RB

Owen Pappoe OLB

Rejzohn Wright CB

Leonard Taylor TE

Stetson Bennett QB

Thought getting Charbonnet in the 3rd was a really good pick,

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

The cowboys are done.  With no real glaring needs, I think it was a great draft for them. Very happy with it -

O'Cyrus Torrence OG

Tuli Tuipulotu DE

Zach Charbonnet RB

Owen Pappoe OLB

Rejzohn Wright CB

Leonard Taylor TE

Stetson Bennett QB

Very nice draft.  I especially thank you for picking Stetson Bennett.  If noone took him I was probably going to take him with the last pick in the draft, the problem was that QB was not a position I needed to fill, my QB room would have been too crowded.

No one is going to convince me that Brock Purdy is a better QB than Bennett who beat all of the top rated QBs in this draft.

A big plus for CJ Stroud was, omg! Did you see how well he played vs Georgia in the playoff?  Bennett had to play better.

Even in the NFL draft evals right now you see the exact same thing as they said in college about Bennett.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Very nice draft.  I especially thank you for picking Stetson Bennett.  If noone took him I was probably going to take him with the last pick in the draft, the problem was that QB was not a position I needed to fill, my QB room would have been too crowded.

No one is going to convince me that Brock Purdy is a better QB than Bennett who beat all of the top rated QBs in this draft.

A big plus for CJ Stroud was, omg! Did you see how well he played vs Georgia in the playoff?  Bennett had to play better.

Even in the NFL draft evals right now you see the exact same thing as they said in college about Bennett.

From what I have been hearing, Bennett has apparently been having some rough interviews.  Hearing a lot of negative stuff about his accountability for some of his recent off-season decisions and behavior, including the arrest in Texas. 

I think he could have been a solid back-up -- day 3 pick, but it sounds like there is a good chance he goes undrafted.

Is Bennett the guy you thought I was trading up for earlier?

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

From what I have been hearing, Bennett has apparently been having some rough interviews.  Hearing a lot of negative stuff about his accountability for some of his recent off-season decisions and behavior, including the arrest in Texas. 

I think he could have been a solid back-up -- day 3 pick, but it sounds like there is a good chance he goes undrafted.

Plus. definitely will be taking a pay cut at next level.?

Just now, section314 said:

Plus. definitely will be taking a pay cut at next level.?

Probably.  But at least with NIL it is legal.  He is probably never going to have to pay for anything in the State of Georgia for the rest of his life.  His biggest mistake of the offseason may have been getting arrested in a different State.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

Probably.  But at least with NIL it is legal.  He is probably never going to have to pay for anything in the State of Georgia for the rest of his life.  His biggest mistake of the offseason may have been getting arrested in a different State.

Very true.

53 minutes ago, Lith said:

Is Bennett the guy you thought I was trading up for earlier?

yes.  

45 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

yes.  

If I was gonna go back up QB for GB, it would not have been Bennett.  I thought about O'Connell and DTR.  Maybe you build a package for DTR to help take some of the pressure off Love, or a guy like O'Connell who is limited in arm strength and athletically, but supposedly a really fast study and likely solid career back up.  Ultimately I decided to avoid QB altogether.  With a first time starter, I thought GB would be better off signing a cheap experienced back up rather than a rookie who would need training camp reps that are probably mostly going to Love this summer.

• Upvote 1

On 4/13/2023 at 3:30 PM, Lith said:

My draft may suck, but after picking Marte Mapu and Sidy Sow with my last two picks, and Yaya Diaby in R4 nobody will have me beat for an All-Names draft.

Oh yeah?  Well, I got the Badabook, Mamalook and all the B.J.s!  Okay, not all of them.  All of them except the good one!

21 hours ago, BroadwayBen said:

I was today years old when I heard of Shepherd university for the first time

I had heard of Shepherd and was contemplating picking Bagent for a long time.  I don't think I had ever heard of Quincy before though.  

B.J. Wilson is huge.  6'6" 325 with 37" arms and an 84" wingspan.  He went to school as a skinny 240 lb TE and kept adding weight.  Seems like he has a good attitude and some teams seem interested, but I'd expect him to be an UDFA.  From the limited stuff that I saw, he seems to have pretty good feet, but he looks awkward and kind of high in his stance.  Very rare size and probably quite old.  Kind of a project Becton - which I generally like more than actual Becton at 11.  OTOH, I think they were in the same HS class.  Yikes!  Coming from D2 he can still use some NFL weight and nutrition work.  He will be in a camp somewhere and have a chance to develop if he doesn't flat out suck.  

I went with him because the other guys I was considering are all in 230 lb defensive range and I already took Smith, Baldonado and Thompson.  For a long time I was expecting to take Cam's cousin and Ironhead's long armed nephew Shaka as a special teams LB.  I also was considering the sack guys Land and Caleb Murphy from Ferris - but they were more for the BJ Thompson slot.  Those guys and Chemarri Conner are certainly getting UDFA offers.  I also had looked at Darel Middleton a DT from Bethel who had played real snaps for Tennessee and committed to a bunch of teams without playing, but he was listed as a pro day no show and I think he will legit be 27 years old so I passed.  I guess I can UDFA offer him to, but I am betting he is not in the right head space.  

Looking back at my draft, I should have pulled the trigger instantly on a trade proposal and I probably could have added Dorian Williams without losing any of my other picks.  I probably should have picked up a safety and I would have been better off going for Mekhi Blackmon and/or Payne Durham/Brenton Strange earlier.  There were other O lineman to be had and the DT probably would have lasted the draft.  Even if he didn't Mustipher would probably provide a similar run stuff profile and is still sitting there.  Don't feel great about Bergeron, but I don't think Nolan Smith is going to last that long.  Mafi was probably the guy I had planned on for my last pick, but @NYJetsVets91 took him.  I probably could have taken him at #223 and still gotten BJ Thompson at #251.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Listening to the Movin the Chains mock and Kirwin just answered a caller’s question that I have wondered forever. When teams are talking trading  up in the draft, do GMs ever mention a specific player? Kirwin said “ you wouldn’t tell that to your best friend.” For the record, they had Jets picking Skoronski.

• Upvote 1