JetNation 2023 Mock Draft - Discussion

Dcat

10 minutes ago, BroadwayBen said:

I feel like we are really losing steam. I cant even tell who is up right now

That's pretty common.  Most people are lost after looking at the first 3 rounds.  Meanwhile I am sifting through my list of UDFA targets trying to find out who is worth a 6th or 7th.  I don't know how I do in the early rounds.  I don't usually have too great a feel for those guys and I tend to look at the worst in everybody.  For the late rounds some good traits overcome the defects fairly easily.  The expenditure is less. 

There are 3 guys I am interested in right now, but they are all fringe picks though they will all be in camps.  My problem is they are kind of stacking the same positions.  I should have gotten a TE, and I probably could have waited on the space eating DT since I think he would have lasted and there are a few others I would have been fine with.  Usually I take a QB and there is one that I selected a long time ago to be my late rounder, but I think I am off that now.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

That's pretty common.  Most people are lost after looking at the first 3 rounds.  Meanwhile I am sifting through my list of UDFA targets trying to find out who is worth a 6th or 7th.  There are 3 guys I am interested in right now, but they are all fringe picks though they will all be in camps.  My problem is they are kind of stacking the same positions.  I should have gotten a TE, and I probably could have waited on the space eating DT since I think he would have lasted and there are a few others I would have been fine with.  Usually I take a QB and there is one that I selected a long time ago to be my late rounder, but I think I am off that now.

I have a few guys on my list as well, including a QB. Honestly I find these late rounds very fun lol. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sorry.   I guess I didn't read the rules closely enough.  I have not been messaging people either and people have not been messaging me.  I have just been tagging them.

No worries.  Just tagging people is fine -- that is what most folks do.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, BroadwayBen said:

I have a few guys on my list as well, including a QB. Honestly I find these late rounds very fun lol. 

I would have found these late rounds to be more fun if you hadn't sniped me twice.  Chandler Zavala and Karl Brooks on consecutive picks. 

But I agree, the late rounds are the best part of these drafts.  I may not have time to review a ton of prospects in detail, but I discover guys that I think fit for the Packers, and you also have 31 other guys doing research for their teams and I learn a lot about guys I never heard of a week ago. 

• Upvote 3

Later rounds are more nerve wracking than early ones.  In the early rounds there are players you really want but if you miss out there is often consolation prizes of good players there.

Later rounds you have your list of "STEALS that no one else knows about!" and then as you are waiting for the 30-40 picks in front of you....plink, plink, plink!  They start getting picked from your highly secret list.  Then you scuttle off to the internet to try and add more out right steals to your list of steals.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Lith said:

I would have found these late rounds to be more fun if you hadn't sniped me twice.  Chandler Zavala and Karl Brooks on consecutive picks. 

But I agree, the late rounds are the best part of these drafts.  I may not have time to review a ton of prospects in detail, but I discover guys that I think fit for the Packers, and you also have 31 other guys doing research for their teams and I learn a lot about guys I never heard of a week ago. 

Oh man, I didn't know you were also high on brooks. I think the saints are having a good wrap to this draft, the earlier rounds were so-so but am definitely happy with some of these late round fliers. Hopefully, I don't snipe you again or vice versa lol

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Later rounds are more nerve wracking than early ones.  In the early rounds there are players you really want but if you miss out there is often consolation prizes of good players there.

Later rounds you have your list of "STEALS that no one else knows about!" and then as you are waiting for the 30-40 picks in front of you....plink, plink, plink!  They start getting picked from your highly secret list.  Then you scuttle off to the internet to try and add more out right steals to your list of steals.

You hit it on the head. I LOVE finding other sleepers though this late, and by scuttling off to the internet, that's one of my favorite parts 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, BroadwayBen said:

You hit it on the head. I LOVE finding other sleepers though this late, and by scuttling off to the internet, that's one of my favorite parts 

This is what forces me to learn the most about prospects. Unlike most of these guys, don’t follow NCAA football. I use the JN draft to learn the prospects and prepare to root for the next crop of Jets.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This is what forces me to learn the most about prospects. Unlike most of these guys, don’t follow NCAA football. I use the JN draft to learn the prospects and prepare to root for the next crop of Jets.

It is unreal how much more one knows about the players from top to bottom after this draft.  You actually get excited when the jets draft some guy in the 5th round no one else has heard about.  ?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I have been doing the JN mock draft since before you guys came on board.  Some years it was only 3 or 4 rounds and did not have a tagging feature.  The dark days.

I used to do these over at JI where we had to double up on teams, but we did the full 7 rounds.  I thought you guys were a bunch of lightweights over here.  But we did recruit some of you to join the Hampur draft after the JI migration/death.  I seem to remember a certain poster named "ventesette" drafting with us for a year or two.

42 minutes ago, BroadwayBen said:

Oh man, I didn't know you were also high on brooks. I think the saints are having a good wrap to this draft, the earlier rounds were so-so but am definitely happy with some of these late round fliers. Hopefully, I don't snipe you again or vice versa lol

I have three or four guys on my list for my next and last pick, chances are one of them will make it to me, so I am not too worried.

I do like your draft, Van Ness, Spears, plus the other two guys, I like it a lot.  The one pick I don't like is Jalin Hyatt.  I am not a fan of Hyatt.  I think he is going to struggle against physical corners in the NFL.  He won't be able to win consistently with speed like he did in college.  But what do I know, I am wrong way more often than I am right, which may not bode well for Zavala and Brooks.

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

I have three or four guys on my list for my next and last pick, chances are one of them will make it to me, so I am not too worried.

I do like your draft, Van Ness, Spears, plus the other two guys, I like it a lot.  The one pick I don't like is Jalin Hyatt.  I am not a fan of Hyatt.  I think he is going to struggle against physical corners in the NFL.  He won't be able to win consistently with speed like he did in college.  But what do I know, I am wrong way more often than I am right, which may not bode well for Zavala and Brooks.

I definitely appreciate it! Hyatt was certainly not my first choice at WR, but I liked his speed and explosiveness enough that I can see him being a viable WR2/3 early. However, I do see your concerns about him going against physical corners. He had many free release opportunities in college so that could very well prove to be his undoing in the NFL. Guess time will tell. 

28 minutes ago, Lith said:

I used to do these over at JI where we had to double up on teams, but we did the full 7 rounds.  I thought you guys were a bunch of lightweights over here.  But we did recruit some of you to join the Hampur draft after the JI migration/death.  I seem to remember a certain poster named "ventesette" drafting with us for a year or two.

Ha.  Of course that was me.  I am older now and spend less time dominating when I put the jersey on. 

• Haha 1

I used to be on JI too.  I don't think they were doing full drafts when I went there most of the time and eventually I found that some of those guys could be insufferable if you weren't a "regular."  Here I was pretty much always a regular and we treat regulars and non-regulars with the same level of disdain.  I don't always use the same screen names, but I don't think my identity has ever been secret.

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I used to be on JI too.  I don't think they were doing full drafts when I went there most of the time and eventually I found that some of those guys could be insufferable if you weren't a "regular."  Here I was pretty much always a regular and we treat regulars and non-regulars with the same level of disdain.  I don't always use the same screen names, but I don't think my identity has ever been secret.

What's your other scr name here?  I have no idea.  

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

What's your other scr name here?  I have no idea.  

Here?  This is my screen name here.  I take VenteSette sometimes which is just Italian for my jersey number - 27.  On JI I was something to do with Little Eddie Bell but at some point during one of the purges they blocked me.  I mean that place was the ****ng worst.  They had guys like @ZachEY and @JiF

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, BroadwayBen said:

I know what you mean.  I've never spent much time looking at prospects from round 5 onwards... until now!

I've done so much research this year just so I can nail the pick for damn Titans!! ?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Sorry guys! We're officially adopting our 2 foster kids tomorrow after 4 years and things are hectic and busy. I'll make my selection a little later

No worries.  Congratulations -- that is awesome.  Good luck.

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Sorry guys! We're officially adopting our 2 foster kids tomorrow after 4 years and things are hectic and busy. I'll make my selection a little later

Well alright then!  Congratulations.  that is so wonderful.  How old?   

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think it was the last year on JI where they were doing a full draft, and the guy running the draft went AWOL mid draft.  I jumped in with RobR to keep the thing going.  Not sure if I created my own google doc, or just stole one of Beerfish's spreadsheets and uploaded it to google, but that was the origin of the google sheet for the draft.  I know there were a couple of years where I managed both the Hampur and JN drafts.  At the same time. 

Not sure how I managed to do that and not get fired from work, although I worked for a company that was on the edge of bankruptcy and they couldn't have replaced me if I left.  Job security = working for the worst possible company in the country because they are incapable of hiring replacements.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

What a great thing to do . You can name them 'Aaron' and 'Rodger' .   

Bad news on that front. My wife is a Bills fan and so are they. Although I force my daughter to wear Jets sh*t.

• More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

Titans finish the draft with a RB. Truth is I agonised over that pick more than any other. I had hoped to get R Johnson earlier but missed out then thought I'd found a gem but he's currently in jail!

If I was Titan GM I'd now look to offload Tannehill and Henry. See what Willis has got and if he sucks draft QB1 next year.

• Upvote 1