Thank you Florida Panthers!

4 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Could’ve, should’ve, would’ve. They’ll now go down as an interesting afterthought or at best a good trivia question because they didn’t finish the job.

Just goes to show how little the regular season means. 
good luck both New York area teams ( I have no dog in this fight)

Especially in hockey.  # 1 seeds rarely win the Cup.  

11 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I remember Sunday nights at my grandparents house after Sunday dinner, sitting outside on the cold balcony of their apartment in Brooklyn listening to Marv Albert call the games on a transistor radio with my cousin.

Eddie, Hadfield, Neilson, Ratelle, Gilbert, Goyette, Kurtenbach, and then the two “kids” came up, Brad Park and Walter Tzachuk.

Dude... you're older than me. I don't remember anyone calling Brad Park a kid.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:

The shots of the stunned crowd, many of them in tears was so satisfying. I was drinking in their misery. You may think that's sadistic but I truly hate Boston sports.

I was in Boston a few years back for game 6 against the Blackhwaks. I was in the Green Lantern bar, downtown.  Chicago scored I believe 2 goals in 2 minutes to tie and then went on to win the cup. The bar went NUMB.  I was silently cheering!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, bicketybam said:

The shots of the stunned crowd, many of them in tears was so satisfying. I was drinking in their misery. You may think that's sadistic but I truly hate Boston sports.

Suck on it Basten   hehehehhehehehehehehehhehehehe

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

They were not better than the Montreal Canadians imo.  They play 2 more games now and back in Montreals great year there was no overtime and shootouts.

This.  The 1976-77 Canadiens had 132 points in 80 games.  60-8-12.  There was no overtime back then.  

The Bruins had 135 points in 82 games. 65-12-5.  But they had 16 games go to overtime and won 11.  In the 70s, the Bruins would have been 54-12-16 for 124 points. Those 16 overtime games would have been ties.

Plus, the Canadiens had a +216 goal differential. Boston was +128.  

So Montreal had 8 more points in 2 less games and had a better goal differential by 100 goals.  Montreal had similar seasons in 75-76 and 77-78, but 76-77 was the best record.  

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

The games would be on WOR/Channel 9 before it went Cable/MSG etc.  I remember hating the trade to get Phil Esposito and giving up Rick Middleton and Brad Park.

And who can forget the informative cartoon “Peter Puck”when CBS televised national games 

• Upvote 1

I watched the game yesterday with an old college roommate who does happen to be a Bruins fan, but not a rabid one. He said the key was Bergeron came back from a 15 game (?) injury absence, and they plunked him right back onto the top line in the middle of this series, which had been going great with whoever his sub was. Instead of holding him out until the next series (if they got there,) the coach ruined the chemistry of his top line, and also of the line that he moved that sub to - and they dropped three straight. 

When the goal to tie it up was scored, I just said "wow", out of respect for my host. Pretty much the same for the game winner - where I really was more in disbelief. He was numb. I didn't rub it in, despite the fact I was overjoyed that an obstacle to a Ranger path to the Finals has been removed - a hated one. I well remember the early '70's teams - I was devastated when they traded Park and Ratelle, and then Giacomin. I never could really root for Espo, even though he seemed to adopt his new team. It just wasn't right.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

This.  The 1976-77 Canadiens had 132 points in 80 games.  60-8-12.  There was no overtime back then.  

The Bruins had 135 points in 82 games. 65-12-5.  But they had 16 games go to overtime and won 11.  In the 70s, the Bruins would have been 54-12-16 for 124 points. Those 16 overtime games would have been ties.

So Montreal had 8 more points in 2 less games and had a better goal differential by 100 goals.  Montreal had similar seasons in 75-76 and 77-78, but 76-77 was the best record.  

Also had a great goalie ever Ken Dryden

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The Flower was the man back then.

3 hours ago, Bungaman said:

I watched the game yesterday with an old college roommate who does happen to be a Bruins fan, but not a rabid one. He said the key was Bergeron came back from a 15 game (?) injury absence, and they plunked him right back onto the top line in the middle of this series, which had been going great with whoever his sub was. Instead of holding him out until the next series (if they got there,) the coach ruined the chemistry of his top line, and also of the line that he moved that sub to - and they dropped three straight. 

When the goal to tie it up was scored, I just said "wow", out of respect for my host. Pretty much the same for the game winner - where I really was more in disbelief. He was numb. I didn't rub it in, despite the fact I was overjoyed that an obstacle to a Ranger path to the Finals has been removed - a hated one. I well remember the early '70's teams - I was devastated when they traded Park and Ratelle, and then Giacomin. I never could really root for Espo, even though he seemed to adopt his new team. It just wasn't right.

That trade was heart breaking. We also got the immortal Joe Zanussi ? and a pretty decent defenseman… Claude what’s his face in that deal.

I go back to the late 60’s with hockey, so I’ve seen some pretty impressive teams. For my money there was none better than the Edmonton Oilers in the 80’s. 
If only the owner (pockington?) could’ve afforded to keep them all together. What a collection of talent. Gretsky, Messier, Lowe, Fuhr… it went on and on.

8 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

That trade was heart breaking. We also got the immortal Joe Zanussi ? and a pretty decent defenseman… Claude what’s his face in that deal.

Wasn't that Carol Vadinai (sp)? I still remember Zanussi picking a fight with Dave Shultz in the first 15 seconds of a game against the Flyers in Philly. I hate the Flyers more than any other hockey team. They played disgracefully against the Russians during the first tour of Eastern block teams/players in the west, and their cheap shot thug brand of hockey to me ruined the sport for decades. I didn't start following it again until about ten years ago.  

Yes - those Oilers teams were a juggernaut. I saw them and Gretsky at MSG just as they were about to dethrone the Islanders, and they were incredible. And while I don't root for or against the Islanders, they were pretty damn good during their four year run. I am forever grateful for them sending the Broad Street as*&oles back to oblivion in the late '70's. I cried tears of joy when late in one season, it was Gilles or Nystrom that knocked that jerk out cold when he tried to stir something up with a smaller player. Him, Kelly, Rat Lindstrom - I hated them all. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/2/2023 at 9:16 AM, Jethead said:

Rangers really sh*t the bed. Jack Hughes was the best player on the ice. Props to Devils - I hate saying that!

Hughes destroyed them. And yet we got the #1 pick LaFraen whatever who has done absolutely nothing in 2 years. This guy is the biggest bust since Ryan Leaf.  Can you imagine Hughes on this Rangers team? He’s exactly the type of player they are missing. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/1/2023 at 3:39 AM, Prodigal Syndicate said:

I think this might be even worse than the Pat's loss.

Most wins and points ever by a team in NHL history and then lose in the first round.

No chance whatsoever.  Not even close.

17 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Hughes destroyed them. And yet we got the #1 pick LaFraen whatever who has done absolutely nothing in 2 years. This guy is the biggest bust since Ryan Leaf.  Can you imagine Hughes on this Rangers team? He’s exactly the type of player they are missing. 

I want to give Laffy one more year.  But I agree that right now he looks like a huge bust.  And also agreed that Hughes is a superstar.

• Upvote 1