Dalvin Cook Trade ?

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If you want to believe it’s smart to count on a 4th round rookie, even a RB, on a team with Super Bowl aspirations, I say good for you.  I don’t agree.  

Not like the team that won the Super Bowl last year did it with a seventh round rookie leading the way.

Abanikanda is going to be asked to be a third or fourth string player unless he proves he’s ready for more, it’s not like they’re trying to start him. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, derp said:

Not like the team that won the Super Bowl last year did it with a seventh round rookie leading the way.

Abanikanda is going to be asked to be a third or fourth string player unless he proves he’s ready for more, it’s not like they’re trying to start him. 

Omg. I’ve repeated this four times now.  
If he’s the third or fourth option then great. Exactly what he should. If he produces at a high level - give him more reps.  He may turn out to be grea. I liked the pick.  
My initial point was to someone saying he’s going to be the guy to pick up for Hall’s lack of expected production.  
All I’m saying is counting on that to be the case would be bad management.  

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Gore signed with the Jets in the 2020 offseason, same year as Perrine getting drafted. Leveon, who Gase wanted no part of, was also on the roster. Backups were Josh Adams and Kalen Ballage. All we know about the 2020 draft dynamic was that Gase wanted to keep Beachum at OLT and draft CeeDee Lamb. Douglas superseded him and drafted Mekhi Becton

The Jets just added Aaron Rodgers and we've somehow managed to create a thread about arguably the worst coach in team history. 

Who loves wallowing in misery more than we do?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

The discussion was about 300 yard games are a no brainer and even old man Flacco had a couple.

Terrible to point out that our starting QB next year didn't have one all season? 

That wasn't an opinion, it was just a statement of fact.

Yes, it’s terrible because it’s pointless.  
Or are you saying Flacco, Wilson and White are all better QBs because each had 300 yard games while Rodgers didn’t.  
It’s a statement of fact that has no meaning, gives no insight into their play last year or moving forward.

It’s just another way to complain.  And doesn’t change a thing.  Rodgers is our QB and that’s the best case scenario 

28 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It’s a statement of fact that has no meaning, gives no insight into their play last year or moving forward.

The post I commented on was saying Rodgers will be the reason why having Hall not at 100% won't be a big deal and he used Flacon's 300 yards games as an example. 

Not only does it give us insight but it's speaking to a very specific point in a post.

It absolutely gives insight into his play as well.  Rodgers was a mediocre QB last year.  Ranked somewhere between 10 and 15. 

Not having a 300 yard game in a season for the first time in his career at age 39 - is absolutely noteworthy.  And especially so when viewed from the original comment and not taken completely out of context.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The only back the Jets should even remotely consider paying for is Derrick Henry, but even that’d be in a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency situation wherein Rodgers or Garrett Wilson go down and we need to shift gears on offense. You have to presume the Titans will dump him at some point. 

I have to disagree.  We need another pass catching back beyond Michael Carter. Henry is great but just a north to south runner with no catching skills and Rodgers loves to hit the back out of the backfield. Cook would be perfect short term solution. Otherwise it’s a bunch of unknowns after Breece. And who knows how he will be this year. 

• En Fuego 1

Omg. I’ve repeated this four times now.  
If he’s the third or fourth option then great. Exactly what he should. If he produces at a high level - give him more reps.  He may turn out to be grea. I liked the pick.  
My initial point was to someone saying he’s going to be the guy to pick up for Hall’s lack of expected production.  
All I’m saying is counting on that to be the case would be bad management.  

There’s a distinction between replacing a player who’s left a team and maybe playing more snaps pending that player’s availability to play to start the season, right?

1 hour ago, derp said:

Gase didn’t need another guy to do what Frank Gore did, Perine stopped playing during Gase’s second year with the Jets, and if Perine was a Gore level player he would’ve stuck anywhere else in the league after he got let go.

It’s the general manager’s job to acquire good players. Douglas has even talked about how they try to bring in good players who can do what the staff wants at the position. And even the coach said he wanted to try to replicate a 40 year old running back, the GM should say that’s ridiculous and ignore, because the GM has final say.

It was a bad pick, and that’s on Douglas. Attempting to defend it and pin it on Gase is bizarre.

Also, I was originally poking fun at the idea Douglas has a type based on Hall and Abanikanda. Regardless of who he made which pick for, how different Perine is from those two means it’s not a Douglas thing.

No...he needed a clone of 40 y/o Frank Gore.  That was what he wanted his offense to revolve around.  Being an offensive genius and all.

And believe it or not, once Gase left, no other team had any need for either of them.

Strange, right?

9 minutes ago, derp said:

There’s a distinction between replacing a player who’s left a team and maybe playing more snaps pending that player’s availability to play to start the season, right?

Okay.  You win.

Relying on a 4th round rookie is a sound decision good franchises make.

If you want to believe it’s smart to count on a 4th round rookie, even a RB, on a team with Super Bowl aspirations, I say good for you.  I don’t agree.  

I'm saying that with a RB room that has Hall, Carter, Knight, and Abanikando, you don't need Dalvin Cook.  I am also puzzled why 22 year old Breece Hall is a big question mark coming off ACL surgery but 31 year old OBJ coming off an ACL injury was a big miss by JD.  

I'm also saying that running backs are plug and play guys and there is no issue playing a 4th round pick.  

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

The Jets just added Aaron Rodgers and we've somehow managed to create a thread about arguably the worst coach in team history. 

Who loves wallowing in misery more than we do?

IMO, Gase gets a pass because he walked into a franchise that had been driven into the ground by the worst GM in the history of the sport

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

IMO, Gase gets a pass because he walked into a franchise that had been driven into the ground by the worst GM in the history of the sport

And also you were one of his primary apologists while he was here, and shortly thereafter, so there’s that. 

9 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I'm saying that with a RB room that has Hall, Carter, Knight, and Abanikando, you don't need Dalvin Cook.  I am also puzzled why 22 year old Breece Hall is a big question mark coming off ACL surgery but 31 year old OBJ coming off an ACL injury was a big miss by JD.  

I'm also saying that running backs are plug and play guys and there is no issue playing a 4th round pick.  

22 Year old Hall is 8 months from the injury.  OBJ is two years.  This is a two year injury.

Dalvin Cook is a major upgrade over anyone we have on the Jets other than the unknown Hall.  

Having good players on the roster is a good thing - not sure why so many or so against good players.

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I like how the weirdo draftnik couldn't understand why we would draft a back into that crowded room and now we have people acting like we need to trade for a back because it is so weak.  I would also like to know what our draft analyst types think about Travis Dye.  @Paradis @win4ever @Beerfish @Chrebetfan80 @section314 @sec101row23 @maury77 @derp @Jets Voice of Reason what say you?  I am sure I missed some, but my memory isn't what it once was.

For me, he seemed like a draftable guy.  Not my type since he didn't have much in the measurable department.  Some of that was being injured for workouts, but he wasn't going to light the world on fire.  RB is probably the main "if you want to, you can" position, so he might still work out.  Strikes me as the kind of guy that might eke out a place and while he is not going to excite you, he isn't going to embarrass you if he has to step in for some reps.  I guess the fumbling is the main fear - which is the main issue with trying when you want to, but maybe can't. 

Won't speak for others, but he just seems like a meat and potatoes one cut (and one speed) guy. Doesn't have that acceleration or wiggle or measureables you were mentioning. Probably not much more than a depth guy to me.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

One guy being terrible at his job doesn't mean it's okay for another guy to also be terrible at his job.

That combo provided us a level of ineptitude that the football gods should feel nothing but shame for bringing to fruition.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

22 Year old Hall is 8 months from the injury.  OBJ is two years.  This is a two year injury.

Dalvin Cook is a major upgrade over anyone we have on the Jets other than the unknown Hall.  

Having good players on the roster is a good thing - not sure why so many or so against good players.

Just because a player is good doesn't mean you need him.

RB room is fine.  If you're going to add players, add players you need.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

OBJ is ten years older coming off his second ACL on the same knee. Baltimore giving him $15M is a massive overpay, imho, and the Ravens only get away with it because they’re considered to be a well run team. Any Jet GM does the same deal, he’s raked over the national coals. 

ACL surgery/recovery has come a very long way, though. Sure, it’s still a two year injury for some, but that’s no longer the norm. A still yet to be 22 year old who never had a major injury before, and who’s widely reported to be on or well ahead of schedule, will probably be just fine. Maybe not perfect out of the gate, but certainly over the course of the first month of the season or so. 

Trading an asset for a $10M RB is dumb, especially when you have Breece Hall in his second year of a rookie contract. We could easily see Cook being cut and subsequently clearing waivers. Ezekiel Elliot is still looking for work, too. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Similar to Idzik, Gase martyred himself to clean up the catastrophic messes of the prior regime.

Similar to Idzik in that they’re both amongst the worst ever at their chosen profession. 

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Just because a player is good doesn't mean you need him.

RB room is fine.  If you're going to add players, add players you need.

Sure.  If there's was a pro bowl caliber WR, S, LB or T available I, sure that should take precedence...

But there aren't and if you are seriously considering yourself a Super Bowl contender - you make opportunistic moves when they're there too.

We don't know why Hall is going to be, Carter and Bam left a lot of concerns last year and we have no idea what the rookie will be.  Cook brings some certainly to a position that is lacking in just that.

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Trading an asset for a $10M RB is dumb, especially when you have Breece Hall in his second year of a rookie contract. We could easily see Cook being cut and subsequently clearing waivers. Ezekiel Elliot is still looking for work, too. 

I'm not suggesting trading for him.  The article said he's gong to be cut on June 1st.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Sure.  If there's was a pro bowl caliber WR, S, LB or T available I, sure that should take precedence...

But there aren't and if you are seriously considering yourself a Super Bowl contender - you make opportunistic moves when they're there too.

We don't know why Hall is going to be, Carter and Bam left a lot of concerns last year and we have no idea what the rookie will be.  Cook brings some certainly to a position that is lacking in just that.

I know they're acting like they think they're SB contenders, but if at some point you may have to turn the fate of your season over to Zach Wilson, I'm not putting you in that bucket.  You're a very good team with post-season aspirations but not a QB on your roster who can even hold a lead if Rodgers has to miss a quarter of football at some point.

They said Hall will be ready for week 1 over a month ago.  That tells me he's so far ahead in his rehab that they aren't concerned.  I think Abanikanda can play.  We'll find out soon enough if he can or not but I don't think they would have taken him in that spot if they thought he'd only play 1-2  snaps a week.

And let's not forget, when the OL wasn't a complete sh*t show, both Bam and MC looked like quality players.

• Upvote 1

The post I commented on was saying Rodgers will be the reason why having Hall not at 100% won't be a big deal and he used Flacon's 300 yards games as an example. 

Not only does it give us insight but it's speaking to a very specific point in a post.

It absolutely gives insight into his play as well.  Rodgers was a mediocre QB last year.  Ranked somewhere between 10 and 15. 

Not having a 300 yard game in a season for the first time in his career at age 39 - is absolutely noteworthy.  And especially so when viewed from the original comment and not taken completely out of context.

You’ll live and die with a QBs numbers.  You think he was mediocre because of where he ranked while people who understand that there’s more to it than numbers will see it differently. 

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm not suggesting trading for him.  The article said he's gong to be cut on June 1st.

As is the case with every potential FA, if they price is right then go ahead and take a shot, but I imagine he'll have multiple suitors and the Jets are in no position to get in a bidding war for anyone at this point.

24 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If Cook is so good, why don't the Vikings, who were a playoff team last season and are contenders again this season, just keep him?  Why is he a cut threat?  Are they just stupid?  

The Vikings RBs are Cook, Mattison, and Chandler.  They don't have anyone close to Breece Hall on the roster.  People on this board are just enamored with "names" like Cook without thinking it through. 

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Okay.  You win.

Relying on a 4th round rookie is a sound decision good franchises make.

With this team, with the rest of the RBs we have, yes, it’s a sound decision that good teams make every year.  Loading up on a RB that with Hall and the rest we have no need for is sound thinking.  

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You’ll live and die with a QBs numbers.  You think he was mediocre because of where he ranked while people who understand that there’s more to it than numbers will see it differently. 

People are complaining about the quality of the Jets’ WRs this upcoming season. Meanwhile, Allen Lazard, penciled in to be the WR #2 or 3 here, was Rodgers’ primary target last season. Maybe that and his broken thumb had something to do with his production last year? Meh, never mind, what do I know? 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Similar to Idzik, Gase martyred himself to clean up the catastrophic messes of the prior regime.

I’m sure that’s the way both are viewed league wide.  Would explain all the job offers they’ve received after their runs in NY. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

If Cook is so good, why don't the Vikings, who were a playoff team last season and are contenders again this season, just keep him?  Why is he a cut threat?  Are they just stupid?  

The Vikings RBs are Cook, Mattison, and Chandler.  They don't have anyone close to Breece Hall on the roster.  People on this board are just enamored with "names" like Cook without thinking it through. 

Dont even waste ur time.  This is an all time pointless thread.

5 minutes ago, slats said:

People are complaining about the quality of the Jets’ WRs this upcoming season. Meanwhile, Allen Lazard, penciled in to be the WR #2 or 3 here, was Rodgers’ primary target last season. Maybe that and his broken thumb had something to do with his production last year? Meh, never mind, what do I know? 

I’ve said it over and over again.  Numbers don’t exist in a vacuum for a QB.  They don’t throw and catch the ball.  Completing passes and compiling numbers are greatly influenced by each of the 11 players on offense.  It’s why, yes, the eye test and context count.  
Calling Rodgers in 2022 a mediocre QB is beyond stupid.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

No...he needed a clone of 40 y/o Frank Gore.  That was what he wanted his offense to revolve around.  Being an offensive genius and all.

And believe it or not, once Gase left, no other team had any need for either of them.

Strange, right?

Gase was not good.

Joe Douglas took Perine and Gore outplayed Perine.

It’s almost like two people can make distinct but related mistakes instead of everything coming back to one person.