Brandin Echols suspended for Week 1

Jets corner Brandin Echols suspended for 1st game of 2023 season

Jets offseason story
Nick Faria – AMNY

Sign up for our amNY Sports email newsletter to get insights and game coverage for your favorite teams

New York Jets defensive back Brandin Echols has been suspended for the first game of the 2023 season according to a report by Tom Pelissero of NFL Network. 

Echols, 25, was drafted by the Jets in the sixth round of the 2021 NFL Draft. He started 14 games for Gang Green in his rookie season while totaling two interceptions and 63 tackles. With the signing of DJ Reed and the emergence of Sauce Gardner though, Echols saw limited action in 2022. The Kentucky product recorded just eight tackles in 13 games played. 

No specific announcement why the suspension had been brought down on the nickel cornerback has been made, but he can appeal the suspension should he choose to do so.

The announcement comes after rumors of another round of suspensions were going to come down on teams for sports gambling. Echols was recently accepted in a diversionary program back in March to avoid assault by auto charges in a high-speed crash in Florham Park in 2022 that partially paralyzed another man. Neither case has been announced as the reason for the player’s suspension. 

The cornerback is set to miss the season-opening game against the Buffalo Bills at MetLife Stadium. New York will be without their fourth cornerback on the team while also missing a key part of their special teams unit. 

Echols and the Jets have not commented on the NFL’s latest decision. 

This story is still in progress. Updates will be provided as they come. 

• Sympathy 2

5 hours ago, JTJet said:

Jets corner Brandin Echols suspended for 1st game of 2023 season

Jets offseason story
Nick Faria – AMNY

Sign up for our amNY Sports email newsletter to get insights and game coverage for your favorite teams

New York Jets defensive back Brandin Echols has been suspended for the first game of the 2023 season according to a report by Tom Pelissero of NFL Network. 

Echols, 25, was drafted by the Jets in the sixth round of the 2021 NFL Draft. He started 14 games for Gang Green in his rookie season while totaling two interceptions and 63 tackles. With the signing of DJ Reed and the emergence of Sauce Gardner though, Echols saw limited action in 2022. The Kentucky product recorded just eight tackles in 13 games played. 

No specific announcement why the suspension had been brought down on the nickel cornerback has been made, but he can appeal the suspension should he choose to do so.

The announcement comes after rumors of another round of suspensions were going to come down on teams for sports gambling. Echols was recently accepted in a diversionary program back in March to avoid assault by auto charges in a high-speed crash in Florham Park in 2022 that partially paralyzed another man. Neither case has been announced as the reason for the player’s suspension. 

The cornerback is set to miss the season-opening game against the Buffalo Bills at MetLife Stadium. New York will be without their fourth cornerback on the team while also missing a key part of their special teams unit. 

Echols and the Jets have not commented on the NFL’s latest decision. 

This story is still in progress. Updates will be provided as they come. 

Could we substitute Zach or Mekhi out in his place?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Isnt Echols like our 4th corner?  Total non issue.

It is only one game, so not a huge deal, but 4th corner isn't like 4th RB.  The team plays 3 corners on the majority of snaps.  This guy is one ding away from the field.  I think the team had 1138 defensive snaps last year and corners played over 3,000.  Miraculously, Reed played 99% and Gardner 98%.  I love that, but we don't generally get that kind of durability around here.  Carter II played 65%.  Echols only played 6%, but if any of those top 3 go down he is on the field a ton.  Also, Joyner is gone.  I don't think he is a great loss, but he was kind of a tweener S/slot CB hybrid.  I think that they will use Carter more in his role than just rolling with Clark and Whitehead.  Hall played 15 snaps and gave up a TD and 100% target rate.  

Echols being out is kind of like Fant being hurt not being a big deal when you have Brown and Becton, but it sure became a big issue pretty quickly.  

• Upvote 4

It is only one game, so not a huge deal, but 4th corner isn't like 4th RB.  The team plays 3 corners on the majority of snaps.  This guy is one ding away from the field.  I think the team had 1138 defensive snaps last year and corners played over 3,000.  Miraculously, Reed played 99% and Gardner 98%.  I love that, but we don't generally get that kind of durability around here.  Carter II played 65%.  Echols only played 6%, but if any of those top 3 go down he is on the field a ton.  Also, Joyner is gone.  I don't think he is a great loss, but he was kind of a tweener S/slot CB hybrid.  I think that they will use Carter more in his role than just rolling with Clark and Whitehead.  Hall played 15 snaps and gave up a TD and 100% target rate.  
Echols being out is kind of like Fant being hurt not being a big deal when you have Brown and Becton, but it sure became an big issue pretty quick.  
Strange that it's one game...

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Brandin Echols was involved in a two-car crash in April, 2022 that left the other driver with a spinal-cord injury that required two surgeries, per police and court records and Echols' attorney. He was accepted Feb. 28 into a pre-trial intervention program that will allow an assault-by-auto charge to be dismissed. He was ordered to pay $54K in restitution to the injured driver. Echols, not injured, was driving 84 mph in a 50 mph zone, per records. He wasn't under the influence, per attorney.

On 5/25/2023 at 6:02 PM, Zachtomims47 said:

Shocks me he’s still on this team. 

Guy was our #1 cornerback in 2021 and he looked pretty decent for a rookie 6th round pick against the leagues elite receivers.  DJ and Sauce kept him on the bench.  If they cut him, he will get picked up immediately.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Flashlite80 said:

Guy was our #1 cornerback in 2021 and he looked pretty decent for a rookie 6th round pick against the leagues elite receivers.  DJ and Sauce kept him on the bench.  If they cut him, he will get picked up immediately.

Yup. He's our number 1 backup on the outside, and he can also play the slot and not embarrass himself. Echols is very valuable, especially at his price.

• Upvote 1