Le'Veon Bell loved Adam Gase; smoked weed before each game

Former Steelers RB Le’Veon Bell finally admits he made a mistake

Curt Popejoy - Sat, May 27, 2023 at 10:44 AM EDT

This week, former Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell went on the Steel Here podcast and decided to spill all the tea over his career. He talked at length about a number of hot-button topics, one of which was the ill-fated choice Bell made to get greedy and sign with the New York Jets in 2019.

“It was like a little petty, the guarantee stuff . . . I’m thinking could I have just ate it,” Bell wondered. “Yeah, I probably could’ve, yeah, I probably could’ve really ate it.”Bell spent the next three seasons moving between four different teams amassing 1,218 rushing yards. Bell rushed for more than that three times in five seasons with the Steelers.

What Bell did is a cautionary tale for any young player who doesn’t really understand their value in relation to the team around them. Bell was a tremendous talent but it was as much about his fit with the Steelers and his teammates and coaches that made him so successful. Bell or any player than downplay a mistake like this all they want but knowing he squandered what might have been a Hall of Fame career over a little bit of money is something Bell has to live with.

>> https://www.yahoo.com/sports/former-steelers-rb-le-veon-144416676.html

• Sympathy 1

as much as i dislike Gase as a HC and think him and Mac set us back....Bell is a ******* RB....you can go pick up a RB off the street, put him on a sh*tty team and expect some production. Bell was done when he decided not to play for a year.

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, JiF said:

Adam Gase was the worst head coaching hire in the history of sports.  A terrible coach w/ a toxic personality that everyone on in the world hates, except Peyton Manning because Gase gives mean head. 

cincinnati-bengals-head-coach-dave-shula

:ahhh:

• Upvote 3

On 5/27/2023 at 1:12 PM, T0mShane said:

Mike Maccagnan was the single worst GM in NY Sports history. Even worse than Isiah Thomas.

Other than Isiah never winning a thing, making the most ridiculous lop sided trades in sports history and the $11M sexual harassment award given to an employee, yeah

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Gase was vehemently against signing Bell, too. Gase also wanted CeeDee Lamb over Becton. The reason Gase, Idzik, and Maccagnan were each hired in the first place was due to the internal rot of the Rex Era, which you lustily defended until he was terminated. 

Gase wanted Cee Dee Lamb?  Says who? 
Gase was hired after Bowles, had nothing to do with Rex.  Neither did trying to find a GM.  At least Macc, who a number of teams were interested in 

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Staring Ed Helms GIF by The Office

Oh, and I left out there was a ridiculously long thread thanking god that we were able to sign him given others were rumored to be after him.  Along with Bowles.

It’s ok, history often gets rewritten.  

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Oh, and I left out there was a ridiculously long thread thanking god that we were able to sign him given others were rumored to be after him.  Along with Bowles.

It’s ok, history often gets rewritten.  

Can you name one other team that interviewed Mike Maccagnan sir

On 5/27/2023 at 12:14 PM, UntouchableCrew said:

Big Mac also never to be hired again.

Really puts it in perspective when guys like Herm and Mangini literally got other HC gigs right away.

With Gase we were just the dopey Chiefs/Browns in this scenario.

Yup, exactly. If we were his first stop, he'd have gotten another gig. Well maybe not after eye gate. 

And the smelling salts.

And..

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I mean you can deny what we saw when he was in green and white. He had some juice left. He didn't have the same pop in KC. He wasn't breaking 3 or 4 tackles a play.

Your eyes told you Bell had juice left?  Ok then.  Time for glasses maybe?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Can you name one other team that interviewed Mike Maccagnan sir

You think I remember who interviewed the guy or who would have if the Jets didn’t hire him?  Does that mean he wasn’t a hot name at the time?

How about the thread full of people high-fiving his and Bowles getting hired?  

56 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I mean you can deny what we saw when he was in green and white. He had some juice left. He didn't have the same pop in KC. He wasn't breaking 3 or 4 tackles a play.

I can deny he had anything here.  Because he showed nothing.  
He had no pop here either.

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You think I remember who interviewed the guy or who would have if the Jets didn’t hire him?  Does that mean he wasn’t a hot name at the time?

How about the thread full of people high-fiving his and Bowles getting hired?  

Macc was about to be fired from the Texans. Woody got bamboozled by Charlie Casserly on this one. Don’t think Macc interviewed for other GM jobs before or since.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just your reminder that Mike Maccagnan was fired 4 years ago.  He can't so much as find a job as an area scout to this day.  

Only GM I ever saw to negotiate against himself yet still lose

• Upvote 1

Free agent RB Le'Veon Bell says he smoked marijuana before games

• ESPN News Services - May 28, 2023, 09:16 PM ET

Free agent running back Le'Veon Bell admitted that he smoked marijuana before NFL games.

Bell, who last played in the NFL in 2021, opened up about the topic on the "Steel Here" podcast, which focuses on the Pittsburgh Steelers. Bell played for Pittsburgh from 2013 to 2017, then sat out the 2018 season amid a contractual battle with the team.

"Looking back on this, that's what I did," Bell said. "When I was playing football, I smoked, bro. Even before the games, I'd smoke and I'd go out there and run for 150, two [touchdowns]."

When Bell finally left the Steelers, he played for the New York Jets in 2019 and two games in 2020. The Jets' coach at the time was Adam Gase, who came under criticism from Bell on the podcast."Bro, we get to New York, and that's when you instantly find out that head coaches make a huge difference," Bell said. "As soon as I get to New York I find that out like the first week. ... Bro, the team wasn't that great, don't get me wrong, but I feel like if Coach [Mike] Tomlin [of the Steelers] was coaching that team, we win nine games at least. It's to the point where [ex-Jets quarterback] Sam Darnold don't even know like the actual line's protections because he's so confused about our offense because the coach is confusing him."

Bell, 31, added that Gase was "terrible" at calling plays. The Jets went 7-9 in 2019, with Bell producing 789 yards and three touchdowns on 245 carries.New York released Bell on Oct. 14, 2020, after he had 19 carries for 74 yards that year. He signed with the Chiefs three days later and added 254 yards and two touchdowns on 63 carries in nine games with Kansas City. Bell appeared in one playoff game during the Chiefs' run to the Super Bowl, rushing twice for 6 yards.

In 2021, Bell played five games for the Baltimore Ravens and three for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, totaling 39 carries for 101 yards and two scores.During his Steelers tenure, Bell was a three-time Pro Bowl selection and two-time All-Pro. In 96 career NFL games (81 starts), Bell ran 1,595 times for 6,554 yards and 42 touchdowns. He was also suspended twice for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy while with the Steelers.After leaving the Jets, Bell had short stints with the Kansas City Chiefs in 2020, and Baltimore Ravens and Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2021.

Despite not playing last season and dabbling in a professional boxing career, Bell said he hasn't yet officially retired from playing football. He told the podcast he'd like to retire with the Steelers but wants a chance to get a few carries in the preseason "so I can show y'all" he can still play.

Information from Reuters and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

>> https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37750576/free-agent-rb-leveon-bell-says-smoked-marijuana-games

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jgb said:

Macc was about to be fired from the Texans. Woody got bamboozled by Charlie Casserly on this one. Don’t think Macc interviewed for other GM jobs before or since.

Maybe but I don’t remember that and can’t seem to find an article anywhere claiming he was going to be fired