Jets signing Dalvin Cook? 6/9 Update Cook Released

1 minute ago, JiF said:

fwiw, I think the reason why the RB position is being discussed so often/or seemingly more important than QB2 is because of the "names" available.  They're sexy unlike the available QB's.  And also the uncertainty of Hall's health probably plays a factor as well. 

I consider the likes of Teddy B and Chase Daniel to be quite sexy but I'm weird like that.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

fwiw, I think the reason why the RB position is being discussed so often/or seemingly more important than QB2 is because of the "names" available.  They're sexy unlike the available QB's.  And also the uncertainty of Hall's health probably plays a factor as well. 

It is true that Dalvin Cook would score more points in the “off season champions” trophy standings than a functional backup QB that very well could save our season (and everyone in the building’s jobs) if our 40 year old QB who struggled with an injury all last year gets dinged.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I consider the likes of Teddy B and Chase Daniel to be quite sexy but I'm weird like that.

Sexy though?  That's a stretch.  Mildly attractive to someone who has spent 40 years w/ a 0 who sometimes gives you a 2? Sure. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, jgb said:

It is true that Dalvin Cook would score points in the “off season champions” trophy standings than a functional backup QB that very well could save our season (and everyone in the building’s jobs) if our 40 year old QB who struggled with an injury all last year gets dinged.

No doubt.  And I dont disagree.  QB2 IMO is the biggest need as well.  Just nobody out there, IMO, that moves the needle. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well, I think Kyle Orton is the most underrated QB in NFL history so I don’t think you’re weird at all.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, JiF said:

No doubt.  And I dont disagree.  QB2 IMO is the biggest need as well.  Just nobody out there, IMO, that moves the needle. 

The needle is currently buried below “E” with Zach as QB2. Wouldn’t take much to move it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JETS SB said:

You don’t draft a running back in the first round unless you need one and feel he will help your team win. Crazy that I have to actually explain that to anyone. 

Wasn't' it Detroit that said the Jets were interested in Gibbs?  They said that to justify taking a RB early when most boards had him going late 1st early 2nd and when they had Swift on the team.

There’s lives teams make that the fans get split on all the time. This very well looks like it very well could be one.

Even if you don’t want him. You can’t deny that we’re likely the front runner for him. With his and Woodys activity on social media. Cook’s interviews and such. All signs point to him maybe coming here.

So like it or not. He very well might be a Jet. Likely just money being the issue at this stage.

25 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

There’s lives teams make that the fans get split on all the time. This very well looks like it very well could be one.

Even if you don’t want him. You can’t deny that we’re likely the front runner for him. With his and Woodys activity on social media. Cook’s interviews and such. All signs point to him maybe coming here.

So like it or not. He very well might be a Jet. Likely just money being the issue at this stage.

I googled this because I don’t do that social media stuff. It’s weird to me that Woody Johnson following Dalvin Cook on Twitter should mean something, but I certainly have to admit that it might. I think it’s a waste of a move unless it’s dirt cheap upfront with incentives. In the article I learned about Woody, I also saw this: 

“A four-time Pro Bowler, Cook has rushed for 1,100 or more yards in each of the last four seasons. That said, while his box score numbers still look good, he was statistically one of the least efficient running backs in football last season.

Cook ranked dead last among all NFL running backs in RYOE (rushing yards over expected), 35th out of 42 qualifiers in DVOA, and 39th out of 42 in EPA per carry. These are generally strong indicators of declining production and efficiency.

If he does come here, I hope his carries are limited, and his production is improved as a result. Looks like toast to me. 

17 minutes ago, slats said:

I googled this because I don’t do that social media stuff. It’s weird to me that Woody Johnson following Dalvin Cook on Twitter should mean something, but I certainly have to admit that it might. I think it’s a waste of a move unless it’s dirt cheap upfront with incentives. In the article I learned about Woody, I also saw this: 

“A four-time Pro Bowler, Cook has rushed for 1,100 or more yards in each of the last four seasons. That said, while his box score numbers still look good, he was statistically one of the least efficient running backs in football last season.

Cook ranked dead last among all NFL running backs in RYOE (rushing yards over expected), 35th out of 42 qualifiers in DVOA, and 39th out of 42 in EPA per carry. These are generally strong indicators of declining production and efficiency.

If he does come here, I hope his carries are limited, and his production is improved as a result. Looks like toast to me. 

If you look at who Woody follows. It’s very few football players that aren’t Jets. So it does mean something. Also he posted a pic of LT. Think of when LT was here. We had a young RB in Greene and LT was the old vet that came in. Ya LT didn’t have the down season previous that Cook did. But he was older and the pic of LT when you add Woody following him and Cook following Woody. Can’t not mean anything. Or just be a coincidence.

You can not want him. And that’s a decent debate. But it’s a fact that there’s A LOT of interest from us.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

If you look at who Woody follows. It’s very few football players that aren’t Jets. So it does mean something. Also he posted a pic of LT. Think of when LT was here. We had a young RB in Greene and LT was the old vet that came in. Ya LT didn’t have the down season previous that Cook did. But he was older and the pic of LT when you add Woody following him and Cook following Woody. Can’t not mean anything. Or just be a coincidence.

You can not want him. And that’s a decent debate. But it’s a fact that there’s A LOT of interest from us.

I like how we brushed over how it appears that Cook is in serious decline. If he comes, I hope the guaranteed money is as low as possible, as well as his carries. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

I like how we brushed over how it appears that Cook is in serious decline. If he comes, I hope the guaranteed money is as low as possible, as well as his carries. 

For me a declining vet that still had a good season, is better than 2 guys who were rather bad in Carter and Knight. For a win now team that is. Which we are.

• Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, slats said:

Almost 1200 yards, 40 catches and 8 tds.

If people are going to say he is in serious decline we should be shi88ing our pants about the year our hof QB just had.

3 hours ago, slats said:

If 1400 yards and 10 TDS is a serious decline, then he must be pretty good and 10 times better than our alternatives, if Breece isn’t 100%, which is likely. 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

If people are going to say he is in serious decline we should be shi88ing our pants about the year our hof QB just had.

Who cares if he’s in decline. Every player doesn’t have to be at their peak. Can we get him at a contract that makes sense for his current projected production, or not? Personally, I doubt it. But purity tests are really stupid.

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

10 hours ago, JETS SB said:

If 1400 yards and 10 TDS is a serious decline, then he must be pretty good and 10 times better than our alternatives, if Breece isn’t 100%, which is likely. 

I don’t handle the number crunching at these advanced stats sites, this is what their data says: he gives you what his OL gives him and nothing more at this stage of his career. I don’t have much reason to believe he would’ve looked any better behind The Jets’ OL than Carter did last season. And he fumbles. Face it, this guy has a lot of miles on him, including his own ACL tear and 4400 yards in college. He’s more a name at this point than a playmaker, coming off his second worse season on a 13 win team. These arguments remind me of the arguments I heard when I said it was stupid to sign Le’Veon. At least this time, we’d be bringing in a washed up back as more of a backup. 

Like I said, I hope it’s dirt cheap and incentive based if he does come here. 

• Upvote 2

Jets dont need Dalvin Cook, who had 4.4 YPC last year (was at 4.5 2 yrs ago) as he is in decline.

Lets all sit back and enjoy Michael Carter and Bam Knight get 3 yards and a cloud of dust while our 40yr old hall of fame QB only has a few seasons left. 

13 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I dont get to zonovan knight hate.  The kid was tremendous until he hurt his leg in the lions game.  Until he got injured, he had 3 straight very good games running the football for us.  Caught the ball well out of the backfield too.

We are fine at rb.  

Knight is a jag, wtf is up with the mid player obsession around here? 🤔

1 minute ago, oatmeal said:

Knight is a jag, wtf is up with the mid player obsession around here? 🤔

Chill. Lazard and Carter/Bam Knight are legit. We dont need top end playmakers for our 40 yr old HOF QB who will likely retire over the next few years. 

• Haha 1

On 6/23/2023 at 2:08 AM, JETS SB said:

So everyone saying the Jets don’t need another running back. But do the Jets feel that way? They admitted they nearly drafted Jahmyr Gibbs in the FIRST ROUND. Sounds like the Jets aren’t comfortable with their RB room. 

No the Jets admitted nothing about Gibbs.  Bugler wrote an article that the Jets may have been interested in Gibbs if he was available and everyone ran with it.  
All while on 1JD after the draft, to a man when JD went around the room McDonald was the 1st choice. 

19 hours ago, JiF said:

And there’s a huge chance that the QB2 you pick up never sees a snap while a RB is seeing the field even if Hall is 100% week 1.

I want a legit backup QB too but so Zach can concentrate on learning the game if possible.  

• WTF? 1

14 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

For me a declining vet that still had a good season, is better than 2 guys who were rather bad in Carter and Knight. For a win now team that is. Which we are.

There quite a few guys out there (or who WILL be out there by Aug 29) who are better than Carter/Bam who can be had much cheaper.  You’re operating like it’s Cook/Zeke or bust on this one and it simply isn’t the case.  

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Vikings are a win-now team who cut Cook when they didn’t need to.  If that isn’t a sign he’s in decline despite his gaudy surface #’s I don’t know what is.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There are lots of guys out there (or who WILL be out there by Aug 29) who are better than Carter/Bam who can be had much cheaper.  You’re operating like it’s Cook/Zeke or bust on this one and it simply isn’t the case.  

Absolutely there will be guys available. But guys like who? CEH and such? No thanks. The difference between what Cook, Zeke or Hunt could bring to us vs a guy like CEH is worth that money difference. I also highly doubt AR would finagle his contract for a pick up of a guy at that CEH tier. Where he would for Cook, Zeke and Hunt.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Absolutely there will be guys available. But guys like who? CEH and such? No thanks. The difference between what Cook, Zeke or Hunt could bring to us vs a guy like CEH is worth that money difference. I also highly doubt AR would finagle his contract for a pick up of a guy at that CEH tier. Where he would for Cook, Zeke and Hunt.

The only finagling that Rodgers’ contract is getting this year is an INCREASE in pay.  He’s only a $1.1M cap hit in 2023 currently.  Meanwhile you’re looking for a RB on a 1-year deal to help replace Breece, no?  Rodgers can’t help you there.  

And no, I’m not talking about CEH.  I posted several other guys earlier in the thread who could shake loose.  All are better options than handing Dalvin big money we need to use to pay Rodgers.  

1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

As someone who works in tv post production, let me tell ya.. editing is a wonderful thing. 

It was filmed before the draft.  Yes it could have been filmed yesterday and edited in but that can be said about 85% of what we read or watch.  And you’d have to gat a roomful of people to lie and everyone else around the Jets along with everyone involved in production on through post.