Jets signing Dalvin Cook? 6/9 Update Cook Released

1 hour ago, JETS SB said:

The Bills are not a prolific passing offense. They were 9th in the league in passing and we were only 200 yards behind them in yards with our terrible QBs. We are only made to believe they are prolific by the most overrated QB in the NFL. 

The Chiefs have Mahomes and Kelce. The only other relevant TD receiver was Mckinnon with 9 TDS, 2nd on the team to Kelce and he is a running back. My point. Cook is a receiving back. Carter is terrible. We have no one else other than hoping Hall is back up and running and probably not full strength. Rodgers needs a RB to throw to more than a WR4 or 5.  

So basically you make my argument for me. You don’t need a 10.5 million dollar WR (or even half that) playing half the games and averaging 3 TDS per season. You need a guy who has been in 4 straight pro bowls, can actually contribute and lead the way in the running game and catch passes out of the backfield, while Hall is getting to 100%. 

A lot of reasons instead of just saying 600+ yards a season, garbage yardage from QB play I’d t a #4 WR.  Also I said, Kelce is KCs receiver.  Doesn’t change the fact that Davis’s yardage is better than their 3.

I’m not going into why signing Cook is a waste of resources.  I have no idea how Davis being a 2/3 WR makes your point.  I’ll say it again, a 2/3 WR is more important than a RB who at best is irrelevant if Hall returns

I’d rather have Hopkins over dalvin cook. And I’d rather have dalvin cook over Corey Davis.

Cory Davis sucks if we’re being honest with ourselves. Jets should be looking to upgrade the offensive weapons regardless of position.

cook on a 1 year deal brings more value to this team than CD. Can’t believe that is even debatable.  Cook has only 2k yards less receiving for his career than Corey Davis and cook isn’t even a WR lol. He also has 35 more tds.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

41 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

A lot of reasons instead of just saying 600+ yards a season, garbage yardage from QB play I’d t a #4 WR.  Also I said, Kelce is KCs receiver.  Doesn’t change the fact that Davis’s yardage is better than their 3.

I’m not going into why signing Cook is a waste of resources.  I have no idea how Davis being a 2/3 WR makes your point.  I’ll say it again, a 2/3 WR is more important than a RB who at best is irrelevant if Hall returns

Corey Davis isnt a WR2 or 3. Have you even watched him play? He is terrible. Always hurt. His drops are inexcusable. And the Jets have Wilson/Lazard/Hardman/Cobb who are better and more deserving of playing time. And hoping Brownlee gets a chance ahead of the sh*tshow that is Corey Davis and Denzel Mims.

Meanwhile, you say Dalvin Cook is irrelevant after Hall comes back. Yet we dont know how good Hall will be, coming off the injury and we have nothing behind him. But, keep plugging your WR2-3 Corey frickin Davis. 

How is this even an argument? Another pathetic Jet fan who doesnt watch football. 

On 6/15/2023 at 12:26 PM, batman10023 said:

this doesn't seem like a good use of resources.  

Normally I'd agree. As a general rule, I'm not a fan of high priced RBs on a 2nd salary or spending 1st round picks on a RB, except if the top back drops to the 30-32 pick because the value of the 5th year option makes it worth it at that point. 5 years, plus a franchise year if he's truly franchise player and you've got control over the productive years of a RB with one contract. 

That being said - JD went all in this year (not a fan, but here we are and most act accordingly) and this team NEEDS to add some weapons/game changing talent to this offense if we are going to have any hope of the Rodgers trade being worth it. Right now (outside AR) this entire offense consists of just two top tier/possibly elite players: Wilson and Breece. Our WR's always get banged up and Wilson isn't exactly a big guy. He goes down at any point (which let's be real, is something you need to at least be prepared for) and we're going to be seeing David and maybe even Mims seeing 1st team reps or significant snaps. That would be a disaster. In the best case scenario that Wilson stays healthy, there is currently no other game breaking WR on the field with him. There is no one that's going to keep DCs up at night while they double team Wilson every play. 

And Breece - One of the most exciting talents we've seen on this team in a very long time. By far the best runner we've had since Tom Jones. He's coming off a horrible injury to RBs. To count on and hang your offense on him immediately returning to form and suffering no set backs along the way it the epitome of irresponsible. If we had an all world Oline than maybe I can see the argument that the team doesn't miss a step with MC1 (who didn't exactly looked exceptionally capable last season)  and a 5th rd rookie RB. BUT, that brings us to the next pending disaster for our offensive success. We have a very below average Oline, if you want to be generous. We have 1 very good, versatile guard. Then we have an overpaid "meh" guard who got here and suddenly can't run block. We have a horrible C that we couldn't wait to get rid of last year, and a rookie who'd be starting with on 1 good guard next to him. We completely fumbled both T positions and are relying on practically retired 37 year old player who was hurt the second he arrived and never recovered. Brown, however, is still an All Pro Iron Man compared the Big Bust that JD is, incompetently, relying on to start and be a vital component to the success and health of our 40 year old rental QB. A player that hasn't seen the field in 3 years, has been out of shape and lazy every second of his career since the moment he was drafted. Who, on top of all of the above, is immature and stupid enough to tweet demands and shots at coaching staff from the comfort of his reinforced bariateic video game chair. 

This is NOT anything resembling a win now roster. And okay, I'll address all the what-ifs and hypotenticals that some are going to scream about in their replies to this post. 

Maybe Wilson doesn't get banged up even once and is 100% go the entire season. Maybe Lazard and Hardman flip the switch, play better than they ever have prior under Rodgers and Mahones. Maybe they become legit top tier WR2 that demand attention away  from Wilson. Maybe Breece returns and picks up where he left off and instantly plays like the most dominant RB in the league. Maybe he is a miracle of modern science and is 100% from day 1 and you'd never even know he had torn up his knee. Maybe Tomlinson returns to being a dominating force in the run game. Maybe Tippman steps in and is immediately Mangold 2.0 and shows everyone that we have our 10 year centerpiece before its even our bye week. Maybe the year off rejuvenated Brown and he ends up being our Whitworth and ends his career as a top T in the league while getting his team to a cchampionship. Maybe Becon shows up and has changed... Well, literally every single thing about him and becomes a key piece to AR's next MVP season. 

Sure, all those things are absolutely possible. That would be a miracle and almost certainly make this team true championship contenders. I'd love nothing more! BUT that is still a really long list of miracles and good teams don't build a roster with a lucky rabbits foot. JD made a sharp turn off his (successful) rebuild project and traded a massive amount of cap space and premium draft picks to open the window a little this year and take a swing at success this team hasn't come close to in decades. When you decide to go all in on that window, you CANNOT half ass the offense and count on miracles across every level of the offense.

I understand this isn't a popular take and if you think this team is ready to go, I respectfully disagree and hope to hell that you're right... But IMO this offense is very far from being a legit contender and if any combination of the miracles don't happen, will almost certainly blow up any hopes this team has this year. 

This defense flashed SB talent last year. We should have been blown out in the majority of games and we weren't (and won a bunch) because our defense was THAT good. I understand Rodgers is amazing and has the talent to break every QB record on the team while playing high on shrooms and doing a Joe Rogan podcast from his helmet mic. But this team needs a lot talent and firepower around him or we are going to go all in to get bounced in the wild card round with an offense that won't have the talent to keep up with the Bills, Chiefs, etc. And that's where Dalvin Cook comes in! Yes, I hate signing FA RBs and I hate signing them for big money even more. But this team needs the talent, we need dynamic weapons that rack up yards and score TDs. So yes, you overpay for Cook or any other top tier player that becomes available because you made the moves to set this team up to be in win right now mode but JD hasn't done nearly enough to put AR in the best position to succeed. We need a LEGITIMATE high end contingency for Breece, even if you have to overpay. We need another game breaking WR, which is why passing on JSN and spending our only 1st rd pick for the next 2 years on an undersized situational pass rusher that's not a position of need compared to the glaring holes on this O was absolute utter incompetence and immediately put all the clown makeup back on his picture... But that's another story. 

In conclusion, how can you complain about 6-9mil for a proven difference maker at a position of need when f*cking COREY DAVIS is making 11mil?!

JD needs to start making moves on this offense ASAP and Cook would be a really good start!

7 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Normally I'd agree. As a general rule, I'm not a fan of high priced RBs on a 2nd salary or spending 1st round picks on a RB, except if the top back drops to the 30-32 pick because the value of the 5th year option makes it worth it at that point. 5 years, plus a franchise year if he's truly franchise player and you've got control over the productive years of a RB with one contract. 

That being said - JD went all in this year (not a fan, but here we are and most act accordingly) and this team NEEDS to add some weapons/game changing talent to this offense if we are going to have any hope of the Rodgers trade being worth it. Right now (outside AR) this entire offense consists of just two top tier/possibly elite players: Wilson and Breece. Our WR's always get banged up and Wilson isn't exactly a big guy. He goes down at any point (which let's be real, is something you need to at least be prepared for) and we're going to be seeing David and maybe even Mims seeing 1st team reps or significant snaps. That would be a disaster. In the best case scenario that Wilson stays healthy, there is currently no other game breaking WR on the field with him. There is no one that's going to keep DCs up at night while they double team Wilson every play. 

And Breece - One of the most exciting talents we've seen on this team in a very long time. By far the best runner we've had since Tom Jones. He's coming off a horrible injury to RBs. To count on and hang your offense on him immediately returning to form and suffering no set backs along the way it the epitome of irresponsible. If we had an all world Oline than maybe I can see the argument that the team doesn't miss a step with MC1 (who didn't exactly looked exceptionally capable last season)  and a 5th rd rookie RB. BUT, that brings us to the next pending disaster for our offensive success. We have a very below average Oline, if you want to be generous. We have 1 very good, versatile guard. Then we have an overpaid "meh" guard who got here and suddenly can't run block. We have a horrible C that we couldn't wait to get rid of last year, and a rookie who'd be starting with on 1 good guard next to him. We completely fumbled both T positions and are relying on practically retired 37 year old player who was hurt the second he arrived and never recovered. Brown, however, is still an All Pro Iron Man compared the Big Bust that JD is, incompetently, relying on to start and be a vital component to the success and health of our 40 year old rental QB. A player that hasn't seen the field in 3 years, has been out of shape and lazy every second of his career since the moment he was drafted. Who, on top of all of the above, is immature and stupid enough to tweet demands and shots at coaching staff from the comfort of his reinforced bariateic video game chair. 

This is NOT anything resembling a win now roster. And okay, I'll address all the what-ifs and hypotenticals that some are going to scream about in their replies to this post. 

Maybe Wilson doesn't get banged up even once and is 100% go the entire season. Maybe Lazard and Hardman flip the switch, play better than they ever have prior under Rodgers and Mahones. Maybe they become legit top tier WR2 that demand attention away  from Wilson. Maybe Breece returns and picks up where he left off and instantly plays like the most dominant RB in the league. Maybe he is a miracle of modern science and is 100% from day 1 and you'd never even know he had torn up his knee. Maybe Tomlinson returns to being a dominating force in the run game. Maybe Tippman steps in and is immediately Mangold 2.0 and shows everyone that we have our 10 year centerpiece before its even our bye week. Maybe the year off rejuvenated Brown and he ends up being our Whitworth and ends his career as a top T in the league while getting his team to a cchampionship. Maybe Becon shows up and has changed... Well, literally every single thing about him and becomes a key piece to AR's next MVP season. 

Sure, all those things are absolutely possible. That would be a miracle and almost certainly make this team true championship contenders. I'd love nothing more! BUT that is still a really long list of miracles and good teams don't build a roster with a lucky rabbits foot. JD made a sharp turn off his (successful) rebuild project and traded a massive amount of cap space and premium draft picks to open the window a little this year and take a swing at success this team hasn't come close to in decades. When you decide to go all in on that window, you CANNOT half ass the offense and count on miracles across every level of the offense.

I understand this isn't a popular take and if you think this team is ready to go, I respectfully disagree and hope to hell that you're right... But IMO this offense is very far from being a legit contender and if any combination of the miracles don't happen, will almost certainly blow up any hopes this team has this year. 

This defense flashed SB talent last year. We should have been blown out in the majority of games and we weren't (and won a bunch) because our defense was THAT good. I understand Rodgers is amazing and has the talent to break every QB record on the team while playing high on shrooms and doing a Joe Rogan podcast from his helmet mic. But this team needs a lot talent and firepower around him or we are going to go all in to get bounced in the wild card round with an offense that won't have the talent to keep up with the Bills, Chiefs, etc. And that's where Dalvin Cook comes in! Yes, I hate signing FA RBs and I hate signing them for big money even more. But this team needs the talent, we need dynamic weapons that rack up yards and score TDs. So yes, you overpay for Cook or any other top tier player that becomes available because you made the moves to set this team up to be in win right now mode but JD hasn't done nearly enough to put AR in the best position to succeed. We need a LEGITIMATE high end contingency for Breece, even if you have to overpay. We need another game breaking WR, which is why passing on JSN and spending our only 1st rd pick for the next 2 years on an undersized situational pass rusher that's not a position of need compared to the glaring holes on this O was absolute utter incompetence and immediately put all the clown makeup back on his picture... But that's another story. 

In conclusion, how can you complain about 6-9mil for a proven difference maker at a position of need when f*cking COREY DAVIS is making 11mil?!

JD needs to start making moves on this offense ASAP and Cook would be a really good start!

Seriously, how do some people not get this.

This is a WIN NOW team. Cook for 7-10 mill? You kidding me? It would be a great 2 yr deal. 

They would still need another receiver, IMO. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Corey Davis isnt a WR2 or 3. Have you even watched him play? He is terrible. Always hurt. His drops are inexcusable. And the Jets have Wilson/Lazard/Hardman/Cobb who are better and more deserving of playing time. And hoping Brownlee gets a chance ahead of the sh*tshow that is Corey Davis and Denzel Mims.

Meanwhile, you say Dalvin Cook is irrelevant after Hall comes back. Yet we dont know how good Hall will be, coming off the injury and we have nothing behind him. But, keep plugging your WR2-3 Corey frickin Davis. 

How is this even an argument? Another pathetic Jet fan who doesnt watch football. 

I’m using your numbers. You tried to drag 620 yards as a number 4 and you’re dead wrong.   Davis is more important to the team than Cook
Yes I’m saying a healthy Hall, which seems to be the case from him and all around him, makes Cook irrelevant.  Even if it takes Hall a few games to get up to speed with the rest of the group spending what it would take to sign Cook is dumb.

• WTF? 1

9 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

What's New Pussicat? Tell us how you really feel.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Barton said:

Seriously, how do some people not get this.

This is a WIN NOW team. Cook for 7-10 mill? You kidding me? It would be a great 2 yr deal. 

They would still need another receiver, IMO. 

Riddle me this:  Why would a similarly “win now” team like Minnesota outright cut Cook after failing to find a trade partner if Cook is the Cook of old?

And you want to sign Cook to a two year deal?

Yikes. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Riddle me this:  Why would a similarly “win now” team like Minnesota outright cut Cook after failing to find a trade partner if Cook is the Cook of old?

Yikes. 

Why would one sign a backup running back before you have a backup QB that isn’t an absolute abomination? 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Folks here want a RB, a WR and to pay Rodgers $100M in 2024 but are also cool with Zach and Tim Boyle as the backup plan.  

Buying a mansion and getting a $5,000 insurance policy from The General

A9DF6776-E90A-4C8B-B26B-64F5BCDAE8B5.thumb.jpeg.1f1ad25a951074b5a62b592923a66a2d.jpeg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yikes. 

Not sure, 80. I havent studied the Vikings cap situation/upcoming contracts etc. 

Teams make mistakes cutting guys all the time though, bro.

We only need Cook for 1-2 years.

4.4 YPC laster year , over 1100 yards is pretty damn good. Can take plays to the house/long runs/catches the ball well. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Barton said:

Not sure, 80. I havent studied the Vikings cap situation/upcoming contracts etc. 

4.4 YPC laster year , over 1100 yards is pretty damn good. Can take plays to the house/long runs/catches the ball well. 

Do they?  Can you name some RBs where that was the case?  Because the track record of RBs on their 2nd teams is quite awful, historically.  

In addition, the evidence that Cook is still able to "take plays to the house" is a bit limited of late.  He basically took what his OL gave him last season and little more.  And now he's having trouble finding work.  Are the other 30 teams in the league currently making a big mistake too by refusing to pay him close to $10M per?

We don't "need" Cook for 1-2 years.  We "need" a RB who can hold the fort until Breece starts looking like Breece again.  If we're going to sign Cook it should only be on a 1-year deal.

I agree that we need an additional RB in the mix for this season.  I simply don't agree it requires an $8M or so per year investment.  I think we can afford to wait and see who comes loose in roster cutdowns and simultaneously see if Cook lowers his asking price while the market continues to flatten.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barton said:

He’s a bit of a fumbler, but I’ve always loved his game.

Not convinced he makes total sense given other priorities, but would be excited to watch him. 

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Do they?  Can you name some RBs where that was the case?  Because the track record of RBs on their 2nd teams is quite awful, historically.  

In addition, the evidence that Cook is still able to "take plays to the house" is a bit limited of late.  He basically took what his OL gave him last season and little more.  And now he's having trouble finding work.  Are the other 30 teams in the league currently making a big mistake too by refusing to pay him close to $10M per?

We don't "need" Cook for 1-2 years.  We "need" a RB who can hold the fort until Breece starts looking like Breece again.  If we're going to sign Cook it should only be on a 1-year deal.

Agree with a lot of this but Cook definitely can still take it to the house - had an 81 yard TD run and a 64 yard TD catch last year and has at least one 60 yard run every year since 2017. 

having him and hall split carries would mean some big plays. 

but i agree strongly on one year unless the number is low 

• Upvote 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

Agree with a lot of this but Cook definitely can still take it to the house - had an 81 yard TD run and a 64 yard TD catch last year and has at least one 60 yard run every year since 2017. 

having him and hall split carries would mean some big plays. 

but i agree strongly on one year unless the number is low 

True enough.  Just wondering how much of that we'll be getting going forward, and exactly how much he's worth.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, JETS SB said:

You are under estimating the value of Corey Davis.   He was a top 5 draft pick for a reason. He is big fast and can catch.  He is a good blocker for the running game.  His salary for this year is very reasonable given what WRs get these days.   Ive been thru this with another poster, but his drop rate is low and his catchable ball per cent (reflecting QB accuracy)  has been terrible.  We got Rodgers to throw the ball, not to hand off to Cook.  If Wilson gets hurt youre going to want Davis- he is our second best WR.   Im traveling or Id get you the stats, but you can look them up if you doubt me.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Can you provide an Executive Summary please.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

You are under estimating the value of Corey Davis.   He was a top 5 draft pick for a reason. He is big fast and can catch.  He is a good blocker for the running game.  His salary for this year is very reasonable given what WRs get these days.   Ive been thru this with another poster, but his drop rate is low and his catchable ball per cent (reflecting QB accuracy)  has been terrible.  We got Rodgers to throw the ball, not to hand off to Cook.  If Wilson gets hurt youre going to want Davis- he is our second best WR.   Im traveling or Id get you the stats, but you can look them up if you doubt me.

He was a top 5 pick 6 years ago and has never once had a 1000 yards receiving. Is that correct?

CD was 74th in the league with 536 yards receiving. But he is the 21st highest paid wr.

Do you see a discrepancy in between what he is paid and what he actually brings to the table?

43 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

He was a top 5 pick 6 years ago and has never once had a 1000 yards receiving. Is that correct?

CD was 74th in the league with 536 yards receiving. But he is the 21st highest paid wr.

Do you see a discrepancy in between what he is paid and what he actually brings to the table?

His last 3 yrs with the Titans he had 891, 601 and 984 yds, so never 1000 but those would be pretty good seasons for us.

Look up his stats- his drop rate is low and his QB support has been horrible.  I’d bet he has a great year with Rodgers throwing to him.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

His last 3 yrs with the Titans he had 891, 601 and 984 yds, so never 1000 but those would be pretty good seasons for us.

Look up his stats- his drop rate is low and his QB support has been horrible.  I’d bet he has a great year with Rodgers throwing to him.

Yeah that’s fair he’s had one competent QB throwing to him — about 10 games of Tannehill — and he nearly got 1,000 yards. I’d like to see him with Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

His skill is there is health isn’t. When he plays he’s good. It’s just that he misses half the year every year. But it is a contract year for him. And maybe has 1 more decent pay day if he has a good season (not a pay day from us next off-season). So it wouldn’t surprise me if he stays healthy this year. Guys always seem to stay healthy in a contract year.

20 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

For those of you who rely on Memes to get all your opinions and info while struggling to assimilate information in paragraph, here ya go 😊🤷🏼‍♂️🐮

Screenshot_20230618_211109_Samsung capture.jpg

• Thumb Down 1

On 6/17/2023 at 11:49 PM, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I’d rather have Hopkins over dalvin cook. And I’d rather have dalvin cook over Corey Davis.

Cory Davis sucks if we’re being honest with ourselves. Jets should be looking to upgrade the offensive weapons regardless of position.

cook on a 1 year deal brings more value to this team than CD. Can’t believe that is even debatable.  Cook has only 2k yards less receiving for his career than Corey Davis and cook isn’t even a WR lol. He also has 35 more tds.

Corey Davis is not a good player.  I’m amazed by how enthusiastically he’s been overrated

13 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Why don’t you bring up his stats as a jet?

Davis = Justin McCarreins

• Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 1

14 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

For those of you who rely on Memes to get all your opinions and info while struggling to assimilate information in paragraph, here ya go 😊🤷🏼‍♂️🐮

Screenshot_20230618_211109_Samsung capture.jpg

This is just one a$$hole s opinion.  

This a$$hole thinks the Jets are tier 2 while Balt Jax and Miami are tier 3

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1