Jets signing Dalvin Cook? 6/9 Update Cook Released

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol, fair, but even when AVT was healthy Carter wasn't exactly producing like his rookie year. 

In the AVT games (Weeks 1-7) Carter totaled 228 yards on 66 carried (3.5 YPC) and 2 TDs, and didn't have much activity in the passing game either (20 catches, 151 yards, 0 TDs)  in that span. 

I get it. Not sure if he was nicked up himself or not. The production was way off, and Bam was just as bad. I liked Ty Johnson, disappointed about his non-football injury. After seeing Breece in action, it’s not surprising that they grabbed another speed back in Abanikanda. No one should be surprised to see him in a large role this year. Could be the two-down back while Breece gets up to speed. Also think MC1 and Bam might eventually find themselves in a battle for a roster spot if/when Joe D chooses to watch the waiver wire at their position, too. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol! 

You accidentally caused me to do some research here.  Next Gen Stats keeps track of the % of plays where a RB sees 8+ men in the box.  Here's where Carter ranked among qualifying backs in 2021-2022:

Carter

• 2022:  14.9 % (40th out of 49 qualifying backs in NFL)
  • 2021:  19.1 % (32nd out of 52)

To put that in perspective, Derrick Henry faced 8+ men in the box 38.1 % of the time in 2022.  Christian McCaffrey - 34.8 %.  

So defenses "not respecting the pass" wasn't an excuse for Carter.  :) 

Were those mostly 3rd downs ?  Also all backs look the same with nowhere to run. The o-line was a mess. He wasn’t great, but I’m not throwing dirt on him yet 

32 minutes ago, Larz said:

Were those mostly 3rd downs ?  Also all backs look the same with nowhere to run. The o-line was a mess. He wasn’t great, but I’m not throwing dirt on him yet 

Those numbers should factor in any plays where he got a carry.  

I like him as a decent pass-catching back.  He's just not an early down guy.  

57 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Those numbers should factor in any plays where he got a carry.  

I like him as a decent pass-catching back.  He's just not an early down guy.  

Right, so you’re less likely to see a stacked box on 3rd and 5. He didn’t seem to have the burst and quickness last year.  Hope he’s right this year 

30 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Are we actually saying Dalvin Cook isn’t worth 6 million, while we are paying Corey Davis 11 million to be a WR4?

Wtf 

I doubt that Corey Davis will see his full $10.5M salary this year. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Are we actually saying Dalvin Cook isn’t worth 6 million, while we are paying Corey Davis 11 million to be a WR4?

Wtf 

Corey Davis is the WR 2/3

And learn positional value

Look how much Miles Sanders and Pacheco were making last year, the two Super Bowl teams

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Corey Davis is the WR 2/3

And learn positional value

Look how much Miles Sanders and Pacheco were making last year, the two Super Bowl teams

The fact that you are putting Corey Davis as a WR2/3 shows how clueless you are. I know positional value dimwit. 

1 minute ago, JETS SB said:

The fact that you are putting Corey Davis as a WR2/3 shows how clueless you are. I know positional value dimwit. 

The fact that you can't respond to the actual facts of the examples I gave you show that you don't know sh*t. Care to address RB salaries and the success of the two super bowl teams? Or want to stick to the Corey Davis bullsh*t deflection?

2 hours ago, Tranquilo said:

The fact that you can't respond to the actual facts of the examples I gave you show that you don't know sh*t. Care to address RB salaries and the success of the two super bowl teams? Or want to stick to the Corey Davis bullsh*t deflection?

Miles Sanders was on the last year of a rookie contract. Pacheco on the 1st year and he was drafted late. Sanders is now making 6 million+ AAV and in no way is he anywhere near as talented as Dalvin Cook. And no one was deferring. Corey is absolutely relevant as his contract could be replaced with Dalvin Cook’s contract and Cook would prove to be 10 times as more valuable with the Jets RB uncertainty. We could replace Corey Davis with Jason Brownlee and we will be fine. Davis isn’t ahead of Lazard on the depth chart. He is a useless WR4-5. Cook is a 4 time pro bowl RB and we have Hall uncertain to start the season. 

But if you don’t see the relevancy and want to go with Michael Carter leading the way, good luck with that. 

24 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Miles Sanders was on the last year of a rookie contract. Pacheco on the 1st year and he was drafted late. Sanders is now making 6 million+ AAV and in no way is he anywhere near as talented as Dalvin Cook. And no one was deferring. Corey is absolutely relevant as his contract could be replaced with Dalvin Cook’s contract and Cook would prove to be 10 times as more valuable with the Jets RB uncertainty. We could replace Corey Davis with Jason Brownlee and we will be fine. Davis isn’t ahead of Lazard on the depth chart. He is a useless WR4-5. Cook is a 4 time pro bowl RB and we have Hall uncertain to start the season. 

But if you don’t see the relevancy and want to go with Michael Carter leading the way, good luck with that. 

Sanders and Pacheco being on rookie contracts and the teams they’re on being successful is exactly my point.

WRs make more than RBs. Check the difference in franchise tag numbers.

Sanders is only making 11 guaranteed right now. And there’s a reason why you draft RBs and let them go. 

RBs aren’t as valuable as WRs. Corey Davis is a WR2/3. If he isn’t ahead of Lazard, he’s still 3. 

And Cook has been declining. All that 4 time pro bowl stuff and he can’t find a suitor to pay him what he wants. Spending 6 mill on a RB would be silly. Barkley can’t even get a new contract. Only dumb teams overpay RBs. 

28 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Last time I checked, Hall was the starting RB, not Carter.  Carter is not leading the way.  You really want to  pay Cook $6-7 million for 75-100 carries and 20-30 catches (if Hall plays)?  Why not just sign Kareem Hunt for $1-2 million and give him those RB2 scraps?  There is nothing to indicate that a healthy Carter, or Knight or Abanikanda or Hunt or a committee of those guys can't give the Jets exactly what Cook would give them without shelling out that money and dealing with a locker room issue when Hall gets the bulk of the carries. And why would Cook sign here knowing that Hall is the bell cow?  

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Sign fournette or Kareem Hunt for a fraction of the $ and then sign Wentz and Hopkins

At least three bad ideas squeezed into one sentence, and that’s only because I’m kinda wishy-washy on Hopkins or it would’ve been a solid four. Nice job. 

I’m not interested in Cook, especially at the numbers being thrown around, but Hunt’s a punk who’s been kinda nowhere since his rookie year, and he and Fournette both were under 4 ypc last year. Fournette is barely over 4 for his career. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/11/2023 at 9:20 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

Funny how the great dalvin cook and the great deandre hopkins cant find teams to play for.  Jet fans………

Maybe because it’s June and most teams, some who may have jumped to sign those two don’t have the cap space after filling their rosters. 

On 6/12/2023 at 2:08 PM, Smashmouth said:

all depends if you want elite or scrap heap.  Cook and Hall Combo would turn this offense into nearly unstoppable with each being fresh. Both have no weaknesses and are very explosive  throw in Abanikanda with his 4.26 Speed and Bam with his hard running and you have a perfect backfield.  That being Said I would much rather get rid of Corey Davis use his cap savings and  that 11 million we are paying Cook to get a dynamic WR instead if one is available because I'm not a fan of Hopkins in any way..

As the team sits today we need Davis a hell of a lot more than Cook.  

On 6/15/2023 at 5:44 PM, Tranquilo said:

Sanders and Pacheco being on rookie contracts and the teams they’re on being successful is exactly my point.

WRs make more than RBs. Check the difference in franchise tag numbers.

Sanders is only making 11 guaranteed right now. And there’s a reason why you draft RBs and let them go. 

RBs aren’t as valuable as WRs. Corey Davis is a WR2/3. If he isn’t ahead of Lazard, he’s still 3. 

And Cook has been declining. All that 4 time pro bowl stuff and he can’t find a suitor to pay him what he wants. Spending 6 mill on a RB would be silly. Barkley can’t even get a new contract. Only dumb teams overpay RBs. 

Running backs value are dropping becuase of durability issues.  The position isn't protected by rules.  WR are protected by the rules.  In spite of that Corey Davis has been unable to stay on the field.  Dalvin Cook has been more durable and more productive despite playing a position that gets far less protection.  

Cook has a lot of mileage on him but he's still likely to be more productive than Corey Davis and more valuable on a 1 year deal than Davis will be based on Davis's injury history and inability to stay on the field despite playing a low risk position.

I do agree if healthy Davis is probably the clear No. 2 WR on the Jets.  Healthy he's better with more upside than Lazzard and if healthy might have more productivity than Cook.  The problem with Davis is he can't stay on the field and the numbers based on health favor Cook's productivity in a 1 year SB run.  

I'm not advocating signing Cook unless they think Breece is damaged goods this year.

36 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Running backs value are dropping becuase of durability issues.  The position isn't protected by rules.  WR are protected by the rules.  In spite of that Corey Davis has been unable to stay on the field.  Dalvin Cook has been more durable and more productive despite playing a position that gets far less protection.  

Cook has a lot of mileage on him but he's still likely to be more productive than Corey Davis and more valuable on a 1 year deal than Davis will be based on Davis's injury history and inability to stay on the field despite playing a low risk position.

I do agree if healthy Davis is probably the clear No. 2 WR on the Jets.  Healthy he's better with more upside than Lazzard and if healthy might have more productivity than Cook.  The problem with Davis is he can't stay on the field and the numbers based on health favor Cook's productivity in a 1 year SB run.  

I'm not advocating signing Cook unless they think Breece is damaged goods this year.

This is crazy how much we are overrating Corey Davis. When has he ever had even close to a pro bowl season? He has averaged approx. 620 yards and less than 3 TDS per season in 6 seasons. He isn’t more than a WR4 until he has one above average season. Which he never has. 

Meanwhile Dalvin Cook has been in 4 straight pro bowls and has consistently been a 1300 yard+ and 10 TD per season producer. 

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

did you even bother to read the post ?

Yes, you said you were in favor of getting rid of Davis and getting Cool to create an unstoppable offense. 

Cook and Hall Combo would turn this offense into nearly unstoppable

3 hours ago, JETS SB said:

This is crazy how much we are overrating Corey Davis. When has he ever had even close to a pro bowl season? He has averaged approx. 620 yards

The Bills are one of the most prolific passing teams and their #4 had 420 yards, their #3 had just over 500.  The Chiefs #3, using Kelce as a receiver, 680 yards, their 4 had just over 300.

Add in Davis played in the musts passing game and you’re underselling his 620 yards

On 6/12/2023 at 1:08 PM, Smashmouth said:

all depends if you want elite or scrap heap.  Cook and Hall Combo would turn this offense into nearly unstoppable with each being fresh. Both have no weaknesses and are very explosive  throw in Abanikanda with his 4.26 Speed and Bam with his hard running and you have a perfect backfield.  That being Said I would much rather get rid of Corey Davis use his cap savings and  that 11 million we are paying Cook to get a dynamic WR instead if one is available because I'm not a fan of Hopkins in any way..

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

As the team sits today we need Davis a hell of a lot more than Cook.  

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

did you even bother to read the post ?

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Yes, you said you were in favor of getting rid of Davis and getting Cool to create an unstoppable offense. 

Cook and Hall Combo would turn this offense into nearly unstoppable

Nope ya didn't . I said it WOULD make our offense more Dynamic BUT I would much rather use the 11 mil we were rumored to offer Cook, cut Corey Davis, and sign a dynamic WR with the combined money

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Nope ya didn't . I said it WOULD make our offense more Dynamic BUT I would much rather use the 11 mil we were rumored to offer Cook, cut Corey Davis, and sign a dynamic WR with the combined money

Ok, my bad then it was confusing.  Or I just was

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

The Bills are one of the most prolific passing teams and their #4 had 420 yards, their #3 had just over 500.  The Chiefs #3, using Kelce as a receiver, 680 yards, their 4 had just over 300.

Add in Davis played in the musts passing game and you’re underselling his 620 yards

The Bills are not a prolific passing offense. They were 9th in the league in passing and we were only 200 yards behind them in yards with our terrible QBs. We are only made to believe they are prolific by the most overrated QB in the NFL. 

The Chiefs have Mahomes and Kelce. The only other relevant TD receiver was Mckinnon with 9 TDS, 2nd on the team to Kelce and he is a running back. My point. Cook is a receiving back. Carter is terrible. We have no one else other than hoping Hall is back up and running and probably not full strength. Rodgers needs a RB to throw to more than a WR4 or 5.  

So basically you make my argument for me. You don’t need a 10.5 million dollar WR (or even half that) playing half the games and averaging 3 TDS per season. You need a guy who has been in 4 straight pro bowls, can actually contribute and lead the way in the running game and catch passes out of the backfield, while Hall is getting to 100%. 

• Upvote 1