Jets Release veteran backup S Will Parks

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Gotta wonder why Ashtyn Davis keeps avoiding the axe. If they were looking to chop a safety, I would have kept Parks and chopped him.

Because JD gotta protect his draft picks, so he can limit his laundry list of blunders. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Strange move. He’s solid and not much in cap savings. Wonder if he’s injured or if there’s a suspension coming.

Doubt he's going anywhere. Keep the kids with upside on the roster.

2 hours ago, Barton said:

Because JD gotta protect his draft picks, so he can limit his laundry list of blunders. 

Not many blunders the past 2 years.

We can keep going back to his first draft and the Zach pick ..

I don’t know about you, but I tend to be a little more recent / current with my wife, my kids or my team at work.  

That said, this year is put up or shut up time.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barton said:

He actually played & had use on special teams, aside from his uselessness on D beyond one timely interception to close out the Cleveland game. From October onward, he was an 80% snap guy on specials.

If that's his only role, and still looks totally lost at safety this summer, I think it's doubtful he sticks at $2.7MM; with 3 seasons accrued he can be renegotiated down for y4 for a guaranteed roster spot. There's also the possibility he develops into the rangy FS he was drafted to be, and just took a few seasons to get it.

TBH it'd be stupid to cut a young player they actually used pretty much every week last year, when they're still carrying "future UPS drivers" on the preseason 90. Neither Davis nor Parks were serious starters the past year or two, and Davis had twice as many snaps on special teams. Parks just doesn't have Davis's speed; never did & never will. This is what Parks looks like as a veteran of several NFL seasons, so at least Davis has enough upside to carry through summer camp.

That's aside from anything off-field we haven't yet heard of Parks, if there is any. They did keep him this long, so the timing is odd in the absence of signing anyone else.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I see the dreaded "Sperm Edwards is typing...".  In before he messes this place up.

[Edit: what the hell is he writing?  "War and Peace - NYJ edition"?

I took a call in the middle. Penis.

Also War & Peace is like Cliff Notes length for me. Tolstoy was an amateur; I rule.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Gotta wonder why Ashtyn Davis keeps avoiding the axe. If they were looking to chop a safety, I would have kept Parks and chopped him.

Parks is an older dude that has spent plenty of time on the street.  He does not have much upside and is the kind of guy they can poach off someone else's practice squad if there are injury issues in November.  He also might have requested his release if they are giving guys like Trey Dean a bunch of run in front of him.  He had some legal issues back when but I wouldn't speculate much on that.  I assume that Davis athletic profile buys him more chances and maybe somebody is dumb enough to trade a conditional pick for him.  

I am wondering how they will run DBs this year.  They added Clark who seems more a box guy and Joyner fit more the mold of Carter and Guidry.  I am wondering if they might carry corners that they can roll to safety  I know they listed Moreland at safety at some points, but he played CB for Washington.  He was a "priority" guy when he came off of injury and there was a low key bidding war over him.  I am trying to describe something akin to bidding on UDFA after the draft, not an actual bidding war.  He chose us and I was surprised when he still ended up on the practice squad all season instead of being on the roster and a healthy scratch like Hall. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, C Mart said:

Rich Cimini @RichCimini

The Jets have released veteran backup S Will Parks, per transaction wire. Played in 14 games last season with three starts.

I wonder if this means anything for Ashton Davis.  I thought that he might be on the bubble this year, but with the release of Parks, perhaps this means he is on solid ground to make the roster.

Dennis Waszak Jr. @DWAZ73

Jets have released S Will Parks. Parks spent last season & end of ‘21 season in NY. Backup on D & key ST player. Jets have 7 safeties listed on roster: Chuck Clark, Jordan Whitehead, Ashtyn Davis, Tony Adams, Jarrick Bernard-Converse, Trey Dean, Marquis Waters

8 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Strange move. He’s solid and not much in cap savings. Wonder if he’s injured or if there’s a suspension coming.

agree , the jets are at 89 contracts including Parks and he doesn’t count to the top 51 contracts for cap space so I think something will come out about an injury or suspension