Let’s talk about Zach Wilson

24 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Has to be at least 2 years.

OL could prove to be the Achilles heel once again.  Billy Turner is JAG level at best at this point, and Duane Brown hasn't even been able to practice.

The quick passing game will help, but AR isn't as mobile as he used to be.

The older he gets, the harder it will be for him to effectively scramble and extend plays, etc.

ya if I were AR, I'd be REAL worried about the oline. It seems he's spending a good part of TC working on his quick throws plus a lot of quick TE throws.....he knows!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FootballLove said:

ya if I were AR, I'd be REAL worried about the oline. It seems he's spending a good part of TC working on his quick throws plus a lot of quick TE throws.....he knows!

Again, he was 2nd in the NFL in time from snap-to-throw last season. That’s his super power. He’s not trying to develop it because he’s afraid for his life on the team he handpicked to join lol.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jgb said:

I don’t think anyone disagrees. Except maybe @bitonti who believes he is a locker room cancer that will disrupt the team’s cohesion. He costs more to cut than to keep and no one is trading for his contract. So all we can do is hope he beats the long odds.

LOL on Bitonti..

I actually do think people disagree because they view his issues as completely unfixable ... so why waste our time.  And that's a fair viewpoint based on his regression last year.

My own root cause hypothesis is that he might be fixable if the YIPs are fixable.  It's not that his brain is naturally too slow to process, it's that he has had a block (which anxiety causes) that has effectively frozen his processing.  That's why we've seen him lock on to receivers (where there is no processing) or forget the play call (if I recall correctly).

If you look back at his last year at BYU against Coastal Carolina, which blitzed him relentlessly, he didn't come close to the same inaccuracy issues as he has now.  Yes, he missed some throws but nothing like he has done in the NFL.  In fact, he had a crazy drive at the end of the game that was clutch, only to fall short a few yards from the end zone.

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

Again, he was 2nd in the NFL in time from snap-to-throw last season. That’s his super power. He’s not trying to develop it because he’s afraid for his life on the team he handpicked to join lol.

Good to know! As long as he doesn't have to face Sauce and Q too many times this year, he'll be just fine!

3 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

LOL on Bitonti..

I actually do think people disagree because they view his issues as completely unfixable ... so why waste our time.  And that's a fair viewpoint.

As I said, Jets don’t have a choice but to try while he’s on the team and they can’t get rid of him (even if they wanted to) without entering immediate cap hell which could blow up the season.

Edit: upon further reflection, I don’t think they’d be in cap hell. As a post 1 June cut, they can spread the dead hit over next two seasons. But he costs the same on or off the team so why cut him?

My own root cause hypothesis is that he might be fixable if the YIPs are fixable.  It's not that his brain is naturally too slow to process, it's that he has had a block (which anxiety causes) that has effectively frozen his processing.  That's why we've seen him lock on to receivers (where there is no processing) or forget the play call (if I recall correctly).

I think he’s just a slow processor, which unfortunately isn’t usually fixable (hardware versus software). But I’m rooting for him…

If you look back at his last year at BYU against Coastal Carolina, which blitzed him relentlessly, he didn't come close to the same inaccuracy issues as he has now.  Yes, he missed some throws but nothing like he has done in the NFL.  In fact, he had a crazy drive at the end of the game that was clutch, only to fall short a few yards from the end zone.

I watched his YouTube highlight video (from the Jets) yesterday — I know, glutton for punishment. Like 80% of his passes the receiver had to make a route-altering adjustment to reel in. Guys were diving all over the place, even with no defender within 3 yards.

Then I watched Tim Boyle highlights. Much better job leading receivers to daylight and he was throwing some ropes. I know this next opinion will cause some angst but I honestly and truly believe that Boyle is a better NFL QB.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Disagree. As I said, Jets don’t have a choice but to try while he’s on the team and they can’t get rid of him (even if they wanted to) without entering immediate cap hell which could blow up the season. 

I think he’s just a slow processor, which unfortunately isn’t usually fixable (hardware versus software). But I’m rooting for him…

I watched his YouTube highlight video (from the Jets) yesterday — I know, glutton for punishment. Like 80% of his passes the receiver had to make a route-altering adjustment to reel in. Guys were diving all over the place, even with no defender within 3 yards.

Then I watched Tim Boyle highlights. Much better job leading receivers to daylight and he was throwing some ropes. I know this next opinion will cause some angst but I honestly and truly believe that Boyle is a better NFL QB.

Right now, Boyle might be better.

Yep I saw those throws from Zach last year.  To me, that’s not processing as it typically relates to QB play.   It’s mental..

We’ll see if he’s fixable.  Was Macky Sasser or Steve Sax?  Don’t know and throwing was only part of their game.  Not their whole game.  

Just now, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Right now, Boyle might be better.

Yep I saw those throws from Zach last year.  To me, that’s not processing.  It’s mental..

We’ll see if he’s fixable.  Was Macky Sasser or Steve Sax?  Don’t know and throwing was only part of their game.  Not their whole game.  

Both of those players had the yips. Zach probably does have the yips but the problems are much deeper than turfing gimme throws — he just flat out didn’t see many open receivers last season. I think even if he corrects his yips, he still is far away from being The Guy.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Both of those players had the yips. Zach probably does have the yips but the problems are much deeper than turfing gimme throws — he just flat out didn’t see many open receivers last season. I think even if he corrects his yips, he still is far away from being The Guy.

Now we are getting somewhere ;).  That’s what I mean how go forward views are different depending on people’s perception of the why behind some of his failures.

if you get a chance, watch that Coastal Carolina game.  By no means was Zach lights out but he showed promising signs of handling pressure and making big time throws.

IF I believed what you believe, then I would want to get a real backup QB right now.  I would not trust Zach at all.  There would be no hope.  

1 minute ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Now we are getting somewhere ;).  That’s what I mean how go forward views are different depending on people’s perception of the why behind some of his failures.

Yeah but no one is saying pay him to stay home and not at least try to develop him.

if you get a chance, watch that Coastal Carolina game.  By no means was Zach lights out but he showed promising signs of handling pressure and making big time throws.

I watched it years ago.

IF I believed what you believe, then I would want to get a real backup QB right now.  I would not trust Zach at all.  There would be no hope.  

I have been, tirelessly. Welcome to JN. 😂 

• Haha 2

You rope a dopes dont even seem to read posts before you downvote like the pansies you are

I said I want him to do well and turn into a serivceable back up or get a good trade out of it. Both take him playing well.

However, there is no doubt its mind boggling he is playing this game from 2 years ago.

God some of you are are soft little bitches

• Haha 1

Just now, slats said:

Unlike people who cry about about negative rep. Those are the board’s true tough guys. 

Slats I been getting downvoted since 2015. I don't give a hoot, but when my words are misinterpreted it annoys me. Its lazy board etiquette to not read a post  

9 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

You rope a dopes dont even seem to read posts before you downvote like the pansies you are

I said I want him to do well and turn into a serivceable back up or get a good trade out of it. Both take him playing well.

However, there is no doubt its mind boggling he is playing this game from 2 years ago.

God some of you are are soft little bitches

Fans are notoriously sensitive about highly-drafted QBs. They are vessels for all our hopes and dreams… then when they bust… well, as Boyz II Men sang, “It’s hard to say goodbye…”

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Fans are notoriously sensitive about highly drafted QBs. They are vessels for all our hopes and dreams… then when they bust… well, as Boyz II Men sang, “It’s hard to say goodbye…”

If there is one thing I learned from this board, there are some who root for players, others who root for the team and its overall success. The line is so clear with some posters

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

If there is one thing I learned from this board, there are some who root for players, others who root for the team and its overall success. The line is so clear with some posters

I guess my point is don’t take it personally when the former gets their hackles up when you criticize the QB. It really isn’t you they are attacking, they are attacking the inner sinking feeling that you may be right… like if you try to warn a friend that his girlfriend is toxic…

3 hours ago, jgb said:

You’re right. No QB has been crap for 2 years and had a revival on the team that drafted him. Precious few have accomplished this after one bad rookie year for their drafted team.

Zach might have a career revival, but it will not be in NY.

2 hours ago, Larz said:

You guys tanking for the USC kid ?

God, I hope so.  Bill has shown through his entire career, he can squeeze 2-3 improbable wins out of a team.  No way we get Williams.  We will be lucky if we ar ein range for Drake Maye.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Slats I been getting downvoted since 2015. I don't give a hoot, but when my words are misinterpreted it annoys me. Its lazy board etiquette to not read a post  

You referred to the people who downvoted you as, “rope a dopes,” “pansies,” and “soft little bitches.” Obviously, you’re not bothered by it at all. 

As far as board etiquette goes, not calling other members those things probably applies. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, jgb said:

If he turns into a legit QB they will force him to negotiate an extension with the 5th year option and then, if needed, franchise tag(s). At a minimum they’d trade him for a haul.

I wouldn’t worry about that.

Yep.   Jets hold the cards for 5 more years if they want to.

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

No. He needs to play a ton. This is a huge preseason for him. Not worried about injuries when reps are the most important thing.

Nobody is playing QB2 in these games once the deep bench comes in.

A missed blocking assignment on a guy trying to make a name leads to bad things.  

—- 

this one is for the post below.   I can’t get my phone to type there.  

I can’t believe people who watched Zach left in his old world the first 2 seasons can watch Rodgers talking to Zach during drill and after plays and not realize how horrible MiLF really was.  And to top it off, Zach is showing nearly immediate fixes to some of the things Rodgers has told him about with footwork.  

And then there are target drills showing Zach how to slide in the pocket, not run backwards… 

It goes on and on, but consider me equally shocked by your reaction lol.  

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I really can't  believe people are still defending Zach like this by blaming MLF. How about Zach learning to play within the system or is Zach such a rate talent that he can only play in an O specific to his skill set like running around the backfield, holding the ball for what seems like an eternity, missing wide open receivers who are literally  about 10 yards in front of him, throwing balls into the dirt, throw balls 5 feet over the head of a WR. Is this the Zach we were supposed to let Zach be? Every other QB who played for MLF did well, even Strevler looked serviceable. I'm not saying I will miss MLF, but come on, Zach finished at the bottom or near the bottom of ever measurable stat for a QB 2 years in a row. That doesn't  happen by accident. He was so bad that there was no way the Jets would start him this season no matter who we acquired. Saleh named Zach the #2 QB at a time he should have been the incumbent starter. The team who should know more about him than anyone  had no confidence he could lead the team and I would bet a large number of the players felt the same way. Enough already

22 minutes ago, Hal said:

Yep.   Jets hold the cards for 5 more years if they want to.

More with franchise tags. Anyway this is all very philosophical. At this point I’m just hoping he can serve as a capable backup to Rodgers. Everything else can wait for another day.

2 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Zach might have a career revival, but it will not be in NY.

2.9%

God, I hope so.  Bill has shown through his entire career, he can squeeze 2-3 improbable wins out of a team.  No way we get Williams.  We will be lucky if we ar ein range for Drake Maye.

Jets are the kings of moral/meaningless victories 

• Upvote 1

could be completely incorrect.. but please feel free to alliterate further ... Zach is trending up and if it continues he will be here for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

could be completely incorrect.. but please feel free to alliterate further ... Zach is trending up and if it continues he will be here for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

How do you define “foreseeable”?

Obviously ZW career path didn’t go the way we hoped. But he’s young and is in essence in a perfect situation right now. Issue being that it’s in Year 3 not 1 or 2. So contract extension wise it might be hard to decide what we should do with him. Have to deceive on his tag next off-season and I find it very unlikely we pick that up. Meaning that next year will be his last year with us under contract. I think we for sure have Rodgers for 2 years. So we won’t see ZW start hopefully (I say this meaning hopefully Rodgers stays healthy). So we’d have to give ZW a contract extension with him not starting for 2 years. Which is obviously incredibly risky. He’d have to really show he’s done a 180 in that time. Good thing should be is that he’d be learning from a HOF QB for those 2 years. Have the system down and he’d still be young actually. Now if Rodgers decides to play 3 years. Leaky no matter what happens with ZW in his development he’s likely done as a Jet. Bc he’d be a FA and might get a starting gig elsewhere. Or at least a chance to start.

Zach Wilson was in a competition to be the starting quarterback at BYU about 5-6 months before Joe Douglas revealed that the Jets were going to draft him with the 2nd overall pick.

It’s not surprising at all that he’s played so poorly in the NFL. He has no unique skills or special talent. 

• Upvote 1